Using the Mic of my Webcam

no_ideano_idea Join Date: 2005-02-15 Member: 41201Members
edited September 2012 in Technical Support
<div class="IPBDescription">OR How to choose the sound input source?</div>"G'day everyone"

Is there a way to choose my sound-input source?
The Mic of my webcam does not work inside NS2 (unfortunately I dont own a Headset). The "record-LED" of the Webcam stays off too.
I dont want to make things more complicated but I point it out anyway: I am using the PS3 Eye as a Webcam wich is running totally fine with everything else. Thats why I want to have a look into the Sound-input "options"

Comments

• DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Afaik there is no way to choose the input source for the game. It just always takes the default one, so you will have to choose your webcam mic as default source in your Windows Control Panel --> Sound.
  • DimanDiman Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158198Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1972300:date=Sep 6 2012, 01:11 AM:name=Dghelneshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dghelneshi @ Sep 6 2012, 01:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972300"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Afaik there is no way to choose the input source for the game. It just always takes the default one, so you will have to choose your webcam mic as default source in your Windows Control Panel --> Sound.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is not true. I have the same problem. I have a webcam what is the only microphone in my windows 7 installation. NS2 does not use that microhpone!
    NS2 is the only game I have not to properly use microphones. I really hope they will fix this bug, since voice comms are really necessary for an online multiplayer game.
    The game should use the default microphone and offer an option to select or test the microphone ingame.
    edited September 2012
    I've sent a mail to tech support. Let's hope they have a way for fixing this problem.

I've also made a get satisfaction ticket. Plz vote on it if you have the same problem!
    <a href="https://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/usb_microphones_do_not_work" target="_blank">https://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/t...nes_do_not_work</a>
  • no_ideano_idea Join Date: 2005-02-15 Member: 41201Members
    And? did something happen?

P.s: I checked if my mic is the standard recording device -> It is:(
    Yes I sent a mail, but I didn't get any response at all. Not even a message that they received my email and will reply soon. No word at all.
    I'm afraid that even after game launch, I won't be able to use voice communication.
  • DarksterDarkster Join Date: 2010-02-17 Member: 70612Members, Reinforced - Gold
    This is a long shot, but have you tried changing the input device for Steam? It should be in your Settings and then Voice. Just a guess but I'm hopeful it might work..
  • CrusherCrusher Join Date: 2012-08-21 Member: 156083Members
    I am using the mic on my webcam in NS2 and it is working just fine. I use it for Left for Dead 2 as well and never experienced any problems with it. I was using a standalone microphone before, but ever since I started using skype I just use the mic on the webcam.
    As Darkster suggested, check the settings for Steam. I have my webcam set there (as mic) and default in win7.
    Steam was already properly configured. My microphone works in other steam games such as Left4dead.
    As far as I know NS2 does not use steamworks for voice communication.

I've got a reply from Max. He thinks he might know what the problem is and he will try to get it fixed for the next build.
  • no_ideano_idea Join Date: 2005-02-15 Member: 41201Members
    fingers crossed because I just checked the mentioned steam-setting-idea without any luck:/