No Friendly Fire Causes Unfair Advantage

ChronibisChronibis Join Date: 2012-08-26 Member: 156498Members
Too often now I am seeing the marines use this tactic and its just ridiculous, get a bunch of exos, get a bunch of marines welding them, and then spam grenades at the exos. There really doesn't seem to be a way to counter this as an alien, you get close and you get naded and everything at range gets wasted. Its the same in the marine base when grenaders just spam the base with grenades or mines, if they actually did some friendly fire damage it wouldn't be taken advantage of. Just like if a gorge was to bile bomb his own team, it should at least do some damage to an alien, it just makes sense.

Comments

• TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited September 2012
    There are tons of ways to counter this. Votex the suits and murder the GLs; hit their base and win the game before they can take your hive; make them bacon the GLs away and swarm the Exosuits; BB from range to soften up the group, then send Umbra Skulks and Lerks in to sow chaos and follow up with Fades for cleanup.

Just because you don't know how to handle Exosuits doesn't make them broken. Friendly Fire on Grenades will never be implemented, because it allows for griefing and punishes teammates for accidents of newer players; that's just not the kind of game NS2 is, and arguing that a lack of FF is OP for marines is like arguing that quick movement or seeing allies through walls is OP for aliens.
  • ChronibisChronibis Join Date: 2012-08-26 Member: 156498Members
    Marines can tech up to EXO faster than aliens get 3 hives, let alone, umbra and vortex. And with multiple welding marines, the EXOs are almost impossible to take down with bile bomb. Easy solution to team killing, punishment. Warning after 1 TK, kick after 2 or 3. Many games work fine this way. I shouldn't be able to nade my own team constantly and only kill aliens.
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    edited September 2012
    Best add it to Spores, Rupture, Stomp, and Bile Bomb, too. AOE attacks not having friendly fire is unfair, right OP?
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    You can't have TK in NS2, it just is not practical. You would have to have some sort of toned down version. But then aliens will need it, and don't get me started about how many times you bite your team mates when you are in a pack with them.

The best thing you can do with EXOs at the moment is force a beacon. If you sacrifice 4 skulks, you can take them down (welding does not happen that quickly) and usually the welders get caught in the mess.

We are also waiting on Onos tweaks for 219, as Charlie mentioned recently. Still beta.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Friendly fire will probably just be a toggle option like NS1. All the servers I used to play on had it enabled.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There won't be FF in NS2, and here is the explanation why:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A note on "Friendly Fire": the phenomena of "friendly fire" (weapons damaging one's own teammates) has been circumvented in the 22nd century, by the use of nano-triggers and nano-weaponry. Currently the term "FriendlyFire" refers to this system. Shrapnel, bullets, and blast particles are split-second destabilized before striking any Frontiersmen, fragmenting harmlessly against their armor. In rare cases nano-gridlock has been known to interfere with this protection for the duration of a battle. Another strange gap in the FriendlyFire system: a fired weapon still injures the person who activated it. This is only a danger with grenades and mines … but is very important to note.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

it is from the old manual.
    Wow they actually explained that quite well. FF doesn't exist anymore... fricken nanites lol. Still, that doesn't explain why aliens don't have friendly damage :P

Maybe aliens should get something else to counter exo/welder rush... some kind of buff, like acid rocket for fades to help kill welders at range (because spikes just suck and getting close is usually suicide), health damage from bile bomb, or an onos buff like runteh said would be nice. Personally I think they should go back to 3 hives for onos and do 3 comm stations for exo.
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1975204:date=Sep 10 2012, 01:48 PM:name=Chronibis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chronibis @ Sep 10 2012, 01:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975204"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow they actually explained that quite well. FF doesn't exist anymore... fricken nanites lol. Still, that doesn't explain why aliens don't have friendly damage :P

Maybe aliens should get something else to counter exo/welder rush... some kind of buff, like acid rocket for fades to help kill welders at range (because spikes just suck and getting close is usually suicide), health damage from bile bomb, or an onos buff like runteh said would be nice. Personally I think they should go back to 3 hives for onos and do 3 comm stations for exo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Considering that Marines have under a 50% win rate overall according to both NS2 stats and one of the playtesters, I think we should be thinking more about how to buff Marines than Aliens.

<!--coloro:#505050--><span style="color:#505050"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Sometimes I feel like the only Marine player on this forum.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    FF is a griefer's best friend. Also, having an element in a team game where a player can accidentally kill other players tends to make teammates less friendly to each other.
    <!--quoteo(post=1975207:date=Sep 10 2012, 02:51 PM:name=Kopikat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kopikat @ Sep 10 2012, 02:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975207"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Considering that Marines have under a 50% win rate overall according to both NS2 stats and one of the playtesters, I think we should be thinking more about how to buff Marines than Aliens.

<!--coloro:#505050--><span style="color:#505050"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Sometimes I feel like the only Marine player on this forum.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's only because marines require more coordination and have to stick together (especially at the beginning), and a lot of the time, everyone just runs off and gets killed. I'd like to see the average round time on those statistics, I betcha most of the alien wins are within the first 5 min. I find marines hold out better the longer the round lasts. With exos now, railguns coming and god knows what else, i highly doubt marines need anything more. Aliens could use a better late game unit because its seems onos is almost useless and a waste of res.

Where do you find these "NS2 Stats"?
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1975231:date=Sep 10 2012, 02:15 PM:name=Chronibis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chronibis @ Sep 10 2012, 02:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975231"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's only because marines require more coordination and have to stick together (especially at the beginning), and a lot of the time, everyone just runs off and gets killed. I'd like to see the average round time on those statistics, I betcha most of the alien wins are within the first 5 min. I find marines hold out better the longer the round lasts. With exos now, railguns coming and god knows what else, i highly doubt marines need anything more. Aliens could use a better late game unit because its seems onos is almost useless and a waste of res.

Where do you find these "NS2 Stats"?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.ns2stats.org" target="_blank">http://www.ns2stats.org</a> but that only shows servers running the plugin for that, I think. I don't have direct access to the overall stats, since that's a playtester thing.
  • FrankerZFrankerZ Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151627Members
    It doesnt seem necessary to make the game competitive and it would open the window to all sorts of griefing. Also, if you ask me, shotgun jps scare me a lot more than gl jps. The biggest problem with gls is in pub plays and its in those big hives where jps can manoeuvre a lot and just lob nades at the hive without getting hit much if a competent fade isnt available.
  • DuskDusk Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106114Members, Constellation
    Make it so if something gets damaged it can't be welded for 3 seconds. If an exo takes a hit it can't be repaired for 3 seconds. Hell even 1 second would probably do the trick especially since bilebomb lasts for a few seconds.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @OP
    Ever seen skulks try to rush a marine or even chew a res node with friendly fire on? It's funny the first time, then annoying the other 90% of the time. Hit your buddy ONCE, and 2-3 lmg bullets kill him.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1975208:date=Sep 11 2012, 07:52 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Sep 11 2012, 07:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975208"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->FF is a griefer's best friend. Also, having an element in a team game where a player can accidentally kill other players tends to make teammates less friendly to each other.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    From memory Ravenshield overcame the whole griefing FF issue by using FF splashback. So you took 50% of the damage that would have been done to a friendly unit.
    So griefers cant grief anyone but themselves.

Something has to be done to nerf the gl'ing at feet or friendlies...not how the weapons meant to be used.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1975164:date=Sep 10 2012, 08:54 PM:name=Chronibis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chronibis @ Sep 10 2012, 08:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975164"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Marines can tech up to EXO faster than aliens get 3 hives, let alone, umbra and vortex. And with multiple welding marines, the EXOs are almost impossible to take down with bile bomb. Easy solution to team killing, punishment. Warning after 1 TK, kick after 2 or 3. Many games work fine this way. I shouldn't be able to nade my own team constantly and only kill aliens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would be a really really really bad idea. Basicly tk's would be high and only counting accidentl tk's, you would get some noobs tk'ing for a better weapon, tk'ing to troll and the marine effectiveness and balance would make the aliens a pretty much unstoppable force
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1975343:date=Sep 11 2012, 12:24 AM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Sep 11 2012, 12:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975343"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@OP
    Ever seen skulks try to rush a marine or even chew a res node with friendly fire on? It's funny the first time, then annoying the other 90% of the time. Hit your buddy ONCE, and 2-3 lmg bullets kill him.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Funny you should mention that, because for the gameplay/combat video's we recorded with Cory for the trailers, cheats were usuall turned on, for quicker recording scenarios. And without darwinmode, friendly fire is indeed set to on. As a result we've seen a lot of "Skulk kills Skulk", "Lerk spikes Skulk", "Marine shotguns his buddie" and so on :P
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited September 2012
    Rejecting a game mechanic because it can allow griefing seems very pessimistic to me. Many games have FF and get by perfectly fine, I dont know what kind of community you think this game has but I think NS2 players can handle FF on one weapon.
    <!--quoteo(post=1975432:date=Sep 10 2012, 07:41 PM:name=1dominator1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1dominator1 @ Sep 10 2012, 07:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975432"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Rejecting a game mechanic because it can allow griefing seems very pessimistic to me. Many games have FF and get by perfectly fine, I dont know what kind of community you think this game has but I think NS2 players can handle FF on one weapon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Seems very inconsistent if only one weapon has it.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    No.

But lets have it as an admin-only console command - When marines are totally dominating the alien team, a wicked admin could switch FF on and hilarity would ensue. "Go in guys, I'll cover you with GL spam...", "FFFFUUUUUUUUUU-"
    <!--quoteo(post=1975445:date=Sep 11 2012, 03:56 AM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Sep 11 2012, 03:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975445"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No.

But lets have it as an admin-only console command - When marines are totally dominating the alien team, a wicked admin could switch FF on and hilarity would ensue. "Go in guys, I'll cover you with GL spam...", "FFFFUUUUUUUUUU-"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then that would spolie a game if it was to be changed while a game is already playing
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1975368:date=Sep 10 2012, 06:08 PM:name=hakenspit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hakenspit @ Sep 10 2012, 06:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975368"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->From memory Ravenshield overcame the whole griefing FF issue by using FF splashback. So you took 50% of the damage that would have been done to a friendly unit.
    So griefers cant grief anyone but themselves.

Something has to be done to nerf the gl'ing at feet or friendlies...not how the weapons meant to be used.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've seen this done as server mods in other games and it does work better. However, it doesn't eliminate greifing (for example jumping in front of friendly gunfire/GLs).
  • Death_IncarnateDeath_Incarnate Join Date: 2005-02-19 Member: 41788Members
    edited September 2012
    They actually do have friendly fire to a degree. Buy a grenade laucher and stand in the corner and fire it and you will kill yourself. Maybe you guys aren't providing enough pressure to the GLer. If you push the GLer you can kill him or if you push the GLer he might kill himself. Aliens always require more teamwork.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    edited September 2012
    we had friendly fire on on several NS1 servers and it sucked onos anus.
    trying to kill a resnode with your skulk buddies resulted in killing each other, because you are mostly bunched up, or face each other through a building.

same when trying to kill a comchair or other structure, or marine together, as marine it sucked especialy.
    it basicaly cut the firepower or a squad in half because the guys behind you are mostly not able to fire in narrow corridors, or when someone jumps at the guys in front of you because you might hit them while trying to panic spray some fast moving alien.

and squads had to move so slowly and coordinated it made it almost impossible to get from the base to the waypoint in time before some party crashing skulk pack jumped in and made the "onos turd hit the fan".

making the marines watch the skulks "kill each other while the marines kill each other while trying to protect each other".

typical scenario of griefing with anti griefing protection was to jump into somones grenades or line of fire with low hp to die and get someone kicked. these servers were impossible to play on, even with arma like squad movement and element tactics for cqb.. you did not achieve anything in time, it was a pain in the ass for marines, and not practical for aliens. NS is not the game for friendly fire
  • KeldornKeldorn Join Date: 2012-05-05 Member: 151587Members
    edited September 2012
    The only thing I can think of is letting friendly fire damage only armor and not health. And that still allows griefing to a lesser extent so yeah...
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    yet another problem fixed by acid rocket
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nanites disintegrate bullets before they hit a team member?

Disintegrate grenades, that would hit team members instead of letting them explode. Problem solved.
    <!--quoteo(post=1975709:date=Sep 11 2012, 04:02 PM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Sep 11 2012, 04:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975709"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nanites disintegrate bullets before they hit a team member?

Disintegrate grenades, that would hit team members instead of letting them explode. Problem solved.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or keep things simple and keep it as it is because at the moment, it works.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Does it? Grenade spam is an ongoing issue. It is cheap and needs no skill. I think, seeing the grenades disappear in a blue light (if they are near a fellow marine), isn't that difficult to understand.