Feedback on perfomance and Where is my Deluxe Edition?

threetwofourthreetwofour Join Date: 2012-09-08 Member: 158523Members
Hey, love the game. I've preordered and played the game for about three months now (even though I just mad an account), following updates etc. Though, I have yet to recieve my Deluxe Edition things through steam or email yet. It's just that a friend of mine really wants to try it out aswell. Feel free to throw that gift towards me :) My steam name is <b>threetwofour</b>.

Also, the main problem for me not having played a significant amount of time on the game (15 hours) yet is because of the performance. I used to get better fps, but I don't know if that changed when I got the AMD Catalyst 12.8 driver or that you brought another build. Im running 100fps in the pre-team-selection room, but getting 40-50fps when walking around ingame (with no one around) and below 30-20 fps in fights. It's rather unplayable then. However, here are my specs.

<b><u>SOFTWARE</u></b>
Windows 7 (64-bit)
AMD Catalyst 12.8
AMD Catalyst Application Profiles 12.7 (going to update to 12.8 right now)

<b><u>HARDWARE</u></b>
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 @3.8ghz
RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX DDR 1333mhz
GPU: 2x Sapphire HD 6850 Toxic CROSSFIRE OC'd
Monitor: Dell 23" 2312HM @1920x1080

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Your performance is about the same experience as everyone else :P

NS2 is entirely restricted by the CPU. You need a high clocked CPU, but also one capable of doing a lot of work on each cycle. The AMD chips do not do anywhere the work per cycle of the modern Intel chips, so have to be clocked higher.

The obvious answer to improve your perfromance, is to get a new CPU.

The big question has to be though, why do you have crossfire graphics card and only a phenom chip? That chip holds back a single 6850, dual even more so. You need to match your CPU with your GFX cards capabilities...
  • SPASMadnessSPASMadness Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156958Members
    edited September 2012
    Regarding your Deluxe edition, it has been said on the main page, about 3 time on twitter and facebook and it has been asked in about 10 topic : it's not released yet, and the free copy won't have access to the beta anyway, so your friend will have to wait until the game's release.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d6yBHDvKUw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d6yBHDvKUw</a>
  • threetwofourthreetwofour Join Date: 2012-09-08 Member: 158523Members
    Thanks for the responses, I did follow the updates but I never understood if they were to be given out now or when the game launches..

And about my crossfire cards, I will look into it if my cards are being bottlenecked, but I did recieve a massive fps boost in multiple graphics heavy games and they operate around the same performance +/- 15fps compared to testers perfomances depending on their better or worse hardware. So I don't know if what you're saying is quite true.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    He shouldnt need a high clocked cpu though... performance is ######.
  • {GGs} Chicken{GGs} Chicken Join Date: 2011-11-22 Member: 134663Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Nothing you can do except cash out for a good cpu and oc, which is crazy to do for this game, or wait. Despite the 217 hype I'm still dropping down to 10-15 fps late game.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    edited September 2012
    This game is very cpu–intensive, and your fps is on par with the rest of us.
    I average 30 fps generally, and top around 50 at game start.
  • MaGicBushMaGicBush Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10378Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1974266:date=Sep 8 2012, 08:40 PM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Sep 8 2012, 08:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974266"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This game is very cpu–intensive, and your fps is on par with the rest of us.
    I average 30 fps generally, and top around 50 at game start.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't get how his x4 3.8ghz cpu is getting the same as mine if the CPU is the case. I have Phenom X3 @ 2.8ghz... I usually get about 20fps in fights and 30-50 when not. GTX260 card also(my PC is getting a bit outdated, and I do plan to upgrade soon but that seems odd).
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    FPS is rarely a problem for me, only in lategame massive firefights which is kind of to be expected.

I have a GTX 460 and a Phenom II 3.5ghz
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have seen my fps going down due to minimizing the game. Even a restart of the game hasn't fixed it. (Because of memory re-usage?) After restarting my pc it worked fine again.

Also a buddy of mine got a huge fps breakdown with build 217. He could fix it back by changing the nvidia graphic options to "high performance".
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    Disable that experimental texture streaming , ditch AA (at 1920x1080, its not really needed), try different servers ... a server running on a slow CPU will effect your FPS as well.
    At some stage there was something that did make the FPS stutter when loading in a new asset, but only once and once you had basically seen everything it didnt stutter again.

Another trick is to check the integrity of the gamefiles, just get Steam to verify it.
  • threetwofourthreetwofour Join Date: 2012-09-08 Member: 158523Members
    Will look into that ASnogarD, ty.
  • iKossuiKossu Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11593Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1974169:date=Sep 9 2012, 01:23 AM:name={GGs} Chicken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ({GGs} Chicken @ Sep 9 2012, 01:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974169"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Despite the 217 hype I'm still dropping down to 10-15 fps late game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Me too; My Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 is very hard pressed.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1974137:date=Sep 8 2012, 03:47 PM:name=threetwofour)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (threetwofour @ Sep 8 2012, 03:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974137"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And about my crossfire cards, I will look into it if my cards are being bottlenecked, but I did recieve a massive fps boost in multiple graphics heavy games and they operate around the same performance +/- 15fps compared to testers perfomances depending on their better or worse hardware. So I don't know if what you're saying is quite true.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Most modern games are very GPU bound; NS2 is not.
  • RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    UWE really needs to rethink the system requirements they list now that the game is on Steam... Right now they are flat out lying, the game is barely playable with rigs that are well over the recommended spec.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1975224:date=Sep 10 2012, 05:07 PM:name=Rautapalli)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rautapalli @ Sep 10 2012, 05:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975224"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->UWE really needs to rethink the system requirements they list now that the game is on Steam... Right now they are flat out lying, the game is barely playable with rigs that are well over the recommended spec.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hence a beta. repeat after me, it's a b-e-t-a.

performance improvements are in the pipeline. just over the past 3-4 months my framerate has doubled (although to be fair it was pretty abysmal in the mid 200's)
  • RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1975227:date=Sep 10 2012, 11:09 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Sep 10 2012, 11:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975227"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hence a beta. repeat after me, it's a b-e-t-a.

performance improvements are in the pipeline. just over the past 3-4 months my framerate has doubled (although to be fair it was pretty abysmal in the mid 200's)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I know, but they are running out of time now. I've been playing the game actively since build 194 and the FPS has barely gotten better when talking about late game fights. I doubt we are going to get that 200-500% performance increase in a month, and even if we did the current recommended system spec would be way too low.
  • TrueVeritasTrueVeritas Join Date: 2006-10-20 Member: 58082Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1975227:date=Sep 10 2012, 04:09 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Sep 10 2012, 04:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975227"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hence a beta. repeat after me, it's a b-e-t-a.

performance improvements are in the pipeline. just over the past 3-4 months my framerate has doubled (although to be fair it was pretty abysmal in the mid 200's)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

the game comes out in less than a month
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Performances have been doing more down than up for me. Maybe I should buy a new computer again to play ns2. Or maybe I should clean it...
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    <!--quoteo(post=1975236:date=Sep 10 2012, 03:27 PM:name=TrueVeritas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrueVeritas @ Sep 10 2012, 03:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975236"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the game comes out in less than a month<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    A month, give or take a couple of weeks. Release is scheduled for October... but not necessarily October 1. Personally, I'd guess October 31 to hit the 10-year anniversary. It just seems like the right thing to do, being conveniently close and a big milestone.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Also, for performance's sake, i think ambient occlusion is on by default now? not sure.. but it DOES make you lose on average ~15fps.. so its worth disabling for now until its further optimized.

I get 60-70 fps and occasionally dip to the 50's in combat, but i still disable AO because theres a slight mouse input delay that also occurs that drives me bonkers.. but i'm sensitive to that sorta stuff. :shrug:
  • MadTreeMadTree Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157608Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1975324:date=Sep 10 2012, 07:45 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Sep 10 2012, 07:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975324"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, for performance's sake, i think ambient occlusion is on by default now? not sure.. but it DOES make you lose on average ~15fps.. so its worth disabling for now until its further optimized.

I get 60-70 fps and occasionally dip to the 50's in combat, but i still disable AO because theres a slight mouse input delay that also occurs that drives me bonkers.. but i'm sensitive to that sorta stuff. :shrug:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What processor do you have? My Phenom X4 3.3ghz handles it far worse, managing a solid 50 or so and dipping into the 30's and high 20's in combat. I know my processor isn't the best, but damn, it's not even playable in the latter instances.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Yep, due in a month/weeks.

Just after feature complete too, they go into performance / optimization mode (how one optimizes a scripted game ... well, it sounds cool to say at least, I would say, 'rescript') ... just like they said. And hey, big improvments already.

I have a 2.6Ghz x3 Phenom, if I had 'xfire all big cpu etc etc' like you I would be angry about performance too. However I don't, so I'm not, thus my suggestion of 'Deal with it, if you want to see 3 miles and go to the mountain tops, play Skyrim ... oh wait, despite being trippleA PS3 users only JUST got what they paid for ... a YEAR after release ... compared to this BETA game' ... personally I think its easier to rage / gripe to those who will listen, like UWE, rather than those who really don't usually. Makes us feel more important.