Gorges, Sentries and Exos

2»

Comments

• hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1973873:date=Sep 8 2012, 03:51 PM:name=Blasphemy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blasphemy @ Sep 8 2012, 03:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973873"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Funnily enough, I have been able to keep a group of around 3-4 exosuits away as a gorge by using adren. bile bomb spam accompanied by a fade going and stirring up trouble. The reason it is so hard for the Exosuit to siege a hive is because the alien team is aware of its presence long before it arrives. It is slow, large and loud and therefore very difficult to sneak in. A gorge on the other hand can slide in and spam bile. It is a lot quieter and if a gorge is found out with carapace (they almost always have carapace) it takes ~1 whole rifle magazine to kill him. That could give him plenty of time to either get away to the safety of friends, or if he spams jump, to possibly still be able to take out the node.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Exos sneak...4 of them should just be able walk into the hive...a gorge should just an easy kill to 4 exo's...I would be surprised if they where experienced players.
  • TiomatTiomat Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155713Members
    edited September 2012
    With all the talk of TF2 I am surprised noone has mentioned to me what seems obvious: Upgradeable sentries. The commander can select a sentry and choose an upgrade for it, which requires a marine to walk over and 'build' the upgrade (3-5 seconds). Only one upgrade per sentry. Upgrades only available once you have 2 CCs, if you go down to one at any point then any upgraded sentries power down.

Level 1 Sentry - Same damage as current, same tres as current, can be placed anywhere but needs power to function.

Upgrade to Minigun (+5 tres) - Faster RoF, Increased aiming cone, better accuracy. Good at killing lerks and skulks, pitiful against onos/fade.
    Upgrade to Railgun (+5 tres) - Slower RoF, much increased damage per shot. Tracking reduced. Damage type changed. Good against onos, track rate not enough for skulks/lerks/fade.
    Upgrade to Resilient (+5 tres) - No longer requires power in the room to function. Immunity from the bile bomb dot.

I see sentries as a marine 'match' to a gorge, but only in areas currently held by marines. The extra tres cost but with viable sentries might make fade/gorge hits on the marine main base more difficult to accomplish - if the marine comm is willing to postpone a few upgrades.
  • KeldornKeldorn Join Date: 2012-05-05 Member: 151587Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1974068:date=Sep 8 2012, 06:48 PM:name=Tiomat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tiomat @ Sep 8 2012, 06:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974068"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With all the talk of TF2 I am surprised noone has mentioned to me what seems obvious: Upgradeable sentries. The commander can select a sentry and choose an upgrade for it, which requires a marine to walk over and 'build' the upgrade (3-5 seconds). Only one upgrade per sentry. Upgrades only available once you have 2 CCs, if you go down to one at any point then any upgraded sentries power down.

Level 1 Sentry - Same damage as current, same tres as current, can be placed anywhere but needs power to function.

Upgrade to Minigun (+5 tres) - Faster RoF, Increased aiming cone, better accuracy. Good at killing lerks and skulks, pitiful against onos/fade.
    Upgrade to Railgun (+5 tres) - Slower RoF, much increased damage per shot. Tracking reduced. Damage type changed. Good against onos, track rate not enough for skulks/lerks/fade.
    Upgrade to Resilient (+5 tres) - No longer requires power in the room to function. Immunity from the bile bomb dot.

I see sentries as a marine 'match' to a gorge, but only in areas currently held by marines. The extra tres cost but with viable sentries might make fade/gorge hits on the marine main base more difficult to accomplish - if the marine comm is willing to postpone a few upgrades.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nice ideas, but I'd rather not have the aliens vs AI battles come back again. Don't get me wrong, I don't want sentries to be useless either but I think this will be too extreme.
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1974072:date=Sep 8 2012, 10:05 AM:name=Keldorn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Keldorn @ Sep 8 2012, 10:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974072"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice ideas, but I'd rather not have the aliens vs AI battles come back again. Don't get me wrong, I don't want sentries to be useless either but I think this will be too extreme.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why not? Marines are subjected to them vs AI fairly often. Hydras, Whips, and Drifters can all do horrible things to Marines when used properly.
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    Sentries should just be flato ut removed in my opinion. You cant buff them or they become horribly lame, and at the moment they're just noob commander traps.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    Mmmmm

The sentries were a huge problem in the past.
    You could win a game simply by filling a map with sentries once you accumulated enough money.

I guess they got creative in how they nerfed them.

If all those fixes occur then the sentries are too strong then it becomes Aliens vs Sentries
    instead of Aliens vs Marines
  • BlasphemyBlasphemy Join Date: 2008-05-02 Member: 64201Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    What about a limit to sentries where you can't place one in a relative proximity to another. Maybe a 512 proximity or 1024 or something.
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1974148:date=Sep 8 2012, 02:32 PM:name=Blasphemy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blasphemy @ Sep 8 2012, 02:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974148"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What about a limit to sentries where you can't place one in a relative proximity to another. Maybe a 512 proximity or 1024 or something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would make them doubly poor at defending an area. Both because a single Sentry isn't enough to discourage even a single Skulk, and if they can't be placed near each other, then they can't provide covering fire for protection.

I'm still a fan of the 'make them Marine deployables' idea. They'd be limited simply because of the fact that they cost pres as opposed to tres. Sure, a group of Marines could coordinate to spam a bunch of Sentries, but doing so means that they'd be without anything stronger than an LMG, which certainly doesn't bode well.

Spam is still possible, but it becomes a tradeoff. And unlike weapons, they aren't 'recyclable' where a single 20 res investment could lead to five different Marines being equipped with the same SG at one point or another.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I say we just wait til the next build comes, which will feature turret batteries (whatever that means.)
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I say we just wait til the next build comes, which will feature turret batteries (whatever that means.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--coloro:#aadd00--><span style="color:#aadd00"><!--/coloro-->It was a typo, they meant "battery turret", now they'll fire batteries instead of the marshmallows they were firing before (it was a supplier issue). Maybe we'll see kills now.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • BlasphemyBlasphemy Join Date: 2008-05-02 Member: 64201Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    I hope they shoot D cells.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    <!--coloro:#aadd00--><span style="color:#aadd00"><!--/coloro-->No... AA but hey it's an improvement!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    At least the LMG shoots peanuts. New minigame: Feed the hungry hungry Onos.