New building for Gorge

Silvereye89Silvereye89 Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157329Members
<div class="IPBDescription">limited radius motion tracking</div>Hey guys,

My suggestion might be a long term idea cuz the game actually is just in the state of improvements of current implementations for a smooth release.

Nevertheless I'd like to hand in an idea concerning the building ability of gorges in the game.
I was thinking about a building he can create which adopts one functionality of the observatories on marine side (or hive-sight in NS1 afaik).
It should reveal/motion track nearby enemies.

The limit of the building would be 1 per gorge. So if he sets it up next to his hydras and wall-elements (don't know their name actually), he can notice when to fall back to these and where marines will be coming from. As the gorge is mostly a support class and doesnt stand much of a chance when in direct combats this might give him an advantage in self-protection.

Next point to think about is if just the gorge would see the nearby enemies, the comm or maybe his entire team.

What do you think about this?

Comments

• schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    sensory chambers used to this in NS1 iirc. So i wonder if they will be bringing this function back for the shade structure. (since its roughly the same thing)
  • Silvereye89Silvereye89 Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157329Members
    Well yes. But hives had that function too afaik. Nvm ;)

Anyway. I dont want those structures to become too strong again. I really dont wanna have global motion tracking in the game again. Worst thing in NS1 imho. But giving it a limited range and a limit for the amount of structures of that type possible to build might worth a thought.
  • Blu3Blu3 Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156530Members
    Hive dependent structures for gorges, so they can scale up as the match goes on - All the structures would compliment each other somehow. Plus it would give comms an additional reason to select their particular starting hive. Gameplay still remains asymmetric and would allow gorge players to feel relevant / active in a game without just sitting in a "flank-potential" hallway healing hydras and dropping clogs.

Afterall, gorge is the only lifeform that doesn't have a 3rd hive ability.
  • ArcL!ghtArcL!ght Join Date: 2007-11-27 Member: 63031Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    There already is something like it... it is called a Drifter
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Nostalgia explosion with

\half-life\ns\sound\hud\alien_enemyapproaches1.wav
    \half-life\ns\sound\hud\alien_enemyapproaches2.wav
  • ICha0sIICha0sI Join Date: 2002-06-13 Member: 763Members
    Gorges need to be able to build more structures period, chambers and what not. Thats what made ns1 gorge fun, the ns2 gorge just doesn't do it for me. Gorge needs to be able to build some chambers at least!!
  • NukoeNukoe Join Date: 2012-08-05 Member: 154821Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1973897:date=Sep 7 2012, 10:48 PM:name=ICha0sI)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ICha0sI @ Sep 7 2012, 10:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973897"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorges need to be able to build more structures period, chambers and what not. Thats what made ns1 gorge fun, the ns2 gorge just doesn't do it for me. Gorge needs to be able to build some chambers at least!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, pretty much. You compare TF2 vanilla engineer and they're much more fun as a support builder. Gorge really needs some new mechanics and structures...or at least structures. Though, the Gorge garderner idea seems neat.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    <!--quoteo(post=1973580:date=Sep 8 2012, 02:00 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Sep 8 2012, 02:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973580"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nostalgia explosion with

\half-life\ns\sound\hud\alien_enemyapproaches1.wav
    \half-life\ns\sound\hud\alien_enemyapproaches2.wav<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

• darkfictiondarkfiction Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75677Members
    Agree 100%, I don't care what the gorge gets, but it needs more... It sucks being a gorge in NS2 right now, your main uses are wasting your pres on Hydras (making it certain you can't afford a fade in the near future) placing clogs that die with a few Marine bullets, and dying to marines... Late game you become more of a novelty as you try to rush into the marine base behind an Onos with bile-bomb and die to 2 Level 3 shotgun blasts.

I always laugh when I see a gorge trying to healspray me to death because he clearly doesn't understand how little damage it does, and a single marine with Level 0 upgrades can take out 2 gorges simultaneously, and a medkit from a comm is overkill.