Steam achievements?

TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
Just curious if you UWE guys are interested in doing it or not. Any idea how hard they are to implement?

Comments

• MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited August 2012
    <b>Slippery Slope Super Slide</b> - Bellyslide 100 yds.

<b>Too many medpacks</b> - Kill 50 Hallucinations in one game.

<b>Super Soaker</b> - Healspray 10.000 health in one game.

<b>One man beacon</b> - Kill 20 Aliens in your base in one game.

<b>Jobs for Steve</b> - Construct 10 structures using MACs.

<b>Plan B</b> - Destroy 10 structures with bilebomb in 10 seconds.

...carry on!
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    I believe Charlie has expressed interest in them, and I'm sure the topic has come up numerous times here before.

I'm all for steam achievements as long as they don't promote bad gameplay. Don't encourage people to try to knife an Onos or rambo the enemy spawn, yano?

I'd like to see achievements like:
    Help a fellow marine power-build a structure
    Move to your waypoint
    Weld or healspray a damaged teammate
    Win a game
    Win 100 games
    Provide LoS for an ARC
    Command a game to victory
    100,000 points of lifetime healing/welding
    100,000 points of lifetime damage
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    edited August 2012
    Yeah alot of basic achievements would be nice - one for each evolution, using each weapon, killing a hive, killing 50 eggs, etc.

<b>Scrambled</b> - Kill 50 eggs.

<b>Out of Space, Out of Time</b> - Vortex an obs that is about to beacon

<b>Mmhh-Mmhh-Mmm</b> - Flame 200 structures.

<b>Res-locked</b> - Kill 50 RTs.

<b>Harmless you say?</b> - Kill 20 marines with gorge spit

<b>Mayday!</b> - Beacon your team while your base is under attack

<b>Albatross</b> - Glide as a lerk for a whole minute

Edit: That last one might lead to people ######ing around though.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think if they would do this it would be post release. Wold love to see one for killing an onos with an axe or an exo as a skulk
  • CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
    <b>Death Wish:</b> Kill 5 Skulks in a row with your LMG. The counter resets if you die before killing 5 Skulks.

<b>Metal Collector:</b> Kill 5 Marines in a row as the Skulk. The counter resets if you die before killing 5 Marines.

<b>Field Commander:</b> Take your team to victory by having the most kills in the game as a Marine.

<b>Commanding Expertise:</b> Win a game as the Marine Commander of your team.

<b>Meat Grinder:</b> Kill a Marine coming out through any Phase Gate as a Fade.

<u>Hidden Achievements</u>

<b>i liek commandering:</b> Get ejected from the Comm Chair on either side.

<b>Onos Riding: </b>Stay on top of an Onos for more than 10 seconds as a Marine.

<b>His Name is Robert Paulson:</b> Play 20 <i>full</i> games as Robert Paulson. You will not get this Achievement is someone else has the same name as you.
  • greenpeegreenpee Join Date: 2012-04-10 Member: 150218Members
    Fooling around with some:

Man in the Box - Enclose a teammate in the Command Chair and kill him.
    Caged Animal - Enclose a skulk in the Command Chair and kill it.
    Panic Room - Enter CC with less than 25% (?) hp.
    Survivorman - Enter a new CC after losing old CC.
    "We need shirtguns!" - Drop a shotgun for a teammate as Commander
    "Lorks!" - Drop a lerk egg as Khammander
    Lights out! - Kill a marine in pitch black
    Need a light? - Drop a flamethrower for a teammate as Commander
    Whip it good - Kill a marine with a whip
    Cool Hwip - Kill a whip
    Blacklung - Catch marines in a Shade Ink Cloud (Disorient)
    Man overboard - Fall to your death as a marine
    ????? - Fall to your death as an alien
    Bondage - Reconnect a cyst chain
    Duck Hunt - Kill a skulk on the ceiling with your pistol from 30yds (?) away
    Bad Dog - Kill a skulk with the rifle butt
    Weldone - Get a kill with a welder
    Hungry Hungry Hippo - Get three kills with a gorge in 20 seconds

(?) means numbers are just ideas
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Bit hard to implement this, what with how the Lua-scripts are open-source and therefor can be tampered with by anyone.
  • shad3rshad3r Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73273Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1965396:date=Aug 21 2012, 02:02 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Aug 21 2012, 02:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965396"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bit hard to implement this, what with how the Lua-scripts are open-source and therefor can be tampered with by anyone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I always assumed some hash and consistency check would be in for 1.0. Time is running out, though.

EDIT: just to be clear, achievements are all server side, so you'd be consistency checking the server versus the "standard" server, and only accepting achievements from pure servers. That would rule out any kind of server admin mods etc, though.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    People would just find an empty server anyways to crank out all the achievements with a couple of friends.
    Also having the server spending cycles constantly checking whether a marine was killed by a fade within x units of a phasegate is probably the last thing we need at this point.
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    edited August 2012
    all good points

achievements are going to be a great addition to ns2 (eventually). As long as they dont interfere with the normal way to play, and they dont cause a lot of server stress like shad3r said, i think they'll be pretty cool

and instead of making weird achievements like welding an onos to death or something, make them based on executing a strategy properly. like winning as alien comm when you choose shade hive first. or dropping the 2nd hive within a certain time-frame and not losing it. so if a new player is trying to get achievements for ns2, they'll end up honing their skills instead of trolling their team.

and we DEFINITELY need one called Fattie-fest or something like that for games won by gorge rush :P
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1965406:date=Aug 21 2012, 06:48 AM:name=shad3r)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shad3r @ Aug 21 2012, 06:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965406"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I always assumed some hash and consistency check would be in for 1.0. Time is running out, though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't worry, from what i understand the code for consistency is either very easy to do, or actually already there (can't remember which one). So 1.0 will have it.
  • MzMzMzMz Join Date: 2006-10-23 Member: 58087Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    My wish list:

Legend of Hellabean - As a fade, set off a series of mines near phase gate to kill yourself, another fade and a lerk.

The Master of Rage - Scream in pure rage through microphone with volume higher or equal to that of Makaveli

Furious Maneuver - Hop out of the commander station and get killed by skulks in marine base only to lose a winning game.

The Killer - Set you name as 'joshua'

Photogenic Smile - Play NS2 with a jug of milk in your hand and earphones plugged in

Tournament Winner - Play NS2 on ATI 9800 pro

B.U.Scammed! - As a commander, tell marines that you have a Big Unannounced Strategy coming up and never say a word about it afterwards.

L0L H@cked! - Do not launch NS2 for 13 months

Time Travel - Launch NS2 for the first time while the date on your computer is set to Fall 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1965413:date=Aug 20 2012, 11:58 PM:name=Sops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sops @ Aug 20 2012, 11:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965413"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->People would just find an empty server anyways to crank out all the achievements with a couple of friends.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't see this as a problem. Achievements are just for fun anyway, they don't reward unlocks. If someone wants to ruin the fun for themselves by cheating, then thats their prerogative. If they want to do them with friends, while kind of cheating, it is fun for them and isn't that the point?
  • iKossuiKossu Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11593Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1965417:date=Aug 21 2012, 09:20 AM:name=Drummer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drummer @ Aug 21 2012, 09:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965417"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and instead of making weird achievements like welding an onos to death or something, make them based on executing a strategy properly. like winning as alien comm when you choose shade hive first. or dropping the 2nd hive within a certain time-frame and not losing it. so if a new player is trying to get achievements for ns2, they'll end up honing their skills instead of trolling their team.

and we DEFINITELY need one called Fattie-fest or something like that for games won by gorge rush :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree and I always found amusing the one that appeared in one of the weekly video casts.
    <b>Kill the Dev!</b> - Kill one of the developers.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1965426:date=Aug 21 2012, 01:48 AM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Aug 21 2012, 01:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965426"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't see this as a problem. Achievements are just for fun anyway, they don't reward unlocks. If someone wants to ruin the fun for themselves by cheating, then thats their prerogative. If they want to do them with friends, while kind of cheating, it is fun for them and isn't that the point?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Someone said the code could be tampered with, I said it wouldn't matter anyways as there is a much easier way to cheat the system.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    25 Or Nothing - Kill a jetpack marine midair as skulk

Buffet - Bite 3 different marines in the space of 2 seconds
    <!--quoteo(post=1965421:date=Aug 21 2012, 06:39 AM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ Aug 21 2012, 06:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965421"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't worry, from what i understand the code for consistency is either very easy to do, or actually already there (can't remember which one). So 1.0 will have it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The problem is more how non-gameplay mods will be negotiated with. If it just looks blindly at any alteration to the scripts, or injection into the VM, almost all active servers today will be marked modded, rendering such checks moot.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1965451:date=Aug 21 2012, 10:53 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Aug 21 2012, 10:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965451"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problem is more how non-gameplay mods will be negotiated with. If it just looks blindly at any alteration to the scripts, or injection into the VM, almost all active servers today will be marked modded, rendering such checks moot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is certainly something that needs to be looked at. I fear though that a single file that is not checked can "escalate". You could run any code you want in that file, that might change stuff that it should not. Certainly an interesting problem, but i'm not expert in it.
    There is no clear-cut solution, which is why I believe achievements probably won't make an appearance (any time soon anyway).
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1965454:date=Aug 21 2012, 06:57 PM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ Aug 21 2012, 06:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965454"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That is certainly something that needs to be looked at. I fear though that a single file that is not checked can "escalate". You could run any code you want in that file, that might change stuff that it should not. Certainly an interesting problem, but i'm not expert in it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It requires segregation of gameplay and UI/admin code, and some means for verifying/enforcing this. If the UI/admin code can't directly access game objects, the potential for cheating is limited.

But that is a big job which would have to have been taken into account when the gameplay code framework was originally written - i.e. it is not going to happen anytime soon.
  • iKossuiKossu Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11593Members
    Also, one that absolutely has to be in is <b>RT of shame</b>. No need to explain I believe.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1965518:date=Aug 21 2012, 09:04 AM:name=iKossu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (iKossu @ Aug 21 2012, 09:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965518"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, one that absolutely has to be in is <b>RT of shame</b>. No need to explain I believe.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Better yet is the hive of shame :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1965484:date=Aug 21 2012, 06:41 AM:name=shad3r)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shad3r @ Aug 21 2012, 06:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965484"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It requires segregation of gameplay and UI/admin code, and some means for verifying/enforcing this. If the UI/admin code can't directly access game objects, the potential for cheating is limited.

But that is a big job which would have to have been taken into account when the gameplay code framework was originally written - i.e. it is not going to happen anytime soon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Seeing how many games seem to slap them on, I always assumed it was some sort of script or library call to the steam client. Again I actually have no idea, just going off my gut here.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    edited August 2012
    i guess the best achievements are the ones not requiring too many frequent ingame-checks. And they should obviously not lead to annoying/ruining behaviour.

<name> -destroy a powernode attached to at least one IP without any marines (except the commander) or other aliens in the power area
    Undead -feint your death 3 times before actually dying
    The Thing -Evolve through all lifeforms without dying inbetween (it is intended to use Hypermutation for this one)
    Red Alert -when all IPs are disabled, repair a power node in order to re-power at least one IP
    Female Intuition -kill 2 drifters in one match using the female marine model
    SILENCE! I KILL YOU! -kill a jetpack marine with xenocide while having silence (might cause annoying behaviour)
    <name> -an ARC stops fireing because you activated a Shade's Disorient ability
    Stay calm -reload while in a Vortex without your clip being empty

although gathering sufficient ideas for achievements is probably quite easy, it is also fun to come up with them, even if they will never be used.
    so i'll edit this post every now and then to add some more, for the fun of it.

oh and i think there should be some achievements with famous quotes from the alien movie. "Game over man, Game over!"
    <!--quoteo(post=1965528:date=Aug 21 2012, 04:31 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Aug 21 2012, 04:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965528"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seeing how many games seem to slap them on, I always assumed it was some sort of script or library call to the steam client.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It is. However, where other games do this inside their compiled DLLs, which are not easily modifiable for most people (and which tend to be locked down by VAC, punkbuster or whatever else), with NS2 you can just edit a Lua-script using notepad and give yourself any achievement you wish (provided said achievement takes place inside the game-logic domain, which most are, think kills\deaths\buildings\weapons whatever). You can then go on to say, "let us mark edited scripts as non-qualifying for achievements", to which the response would be that that would automatically rule out almost all active servers out there (admin-mods, res-slots mods, stats-mods, anything at all). At which point you reach where we are now in this deliberation, namely speculating how to differentiate between what mods do and do not influence gameplay, which is almost undoable with how NS2 is built.
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    So long as achievements promote team play, i'm all for it.

Also, I want it displayed in chat so everyone can see when you win :D
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    just to link two threads with the same content:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=119515" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=119515</a>
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Most achievements make otherwise normal players act stupid. Instead of trying to win the game, they try to heal 10 000 points, slide hundred yards, kill 10 players with spit or what have you.
  • Gerald_R_FordGerald_R_Ford Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22544Members
    Achievements in game that requires team effort would just result in silly play that is counter-productive to the intent.