Optimization and servers

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think a lot of the variation in opinion about whether the current NS2 performance is acceptable is based on expectations. If your getting 20fps on a low-end i3 that may seem pretty good. However, if your getting 40fps on an 4.5GHz 2500k, then that seems kinda poor.

Personally, I'd say
    30fps (min) = Acceptable for public play
    60fps (min) = Acceptable for comp play
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    I average 55-60FPS at the end of a long game with my 4.5GHz 2500k. Starting out at 80.
  • hassearohassearo Join Date: 2012-08-21 Member: 156054Members
    edited August 2012
    Ok guys, I've been busy with a few other things but I did indeed successfully overclock my CPU ..although the temperatures are a bit worrying I must say.

I didnt change the BCLK I just changed the multiplier to 41 (first I tried 45 but I got temperatures of 88 in a stresstest and immedietly ended the test)

I followed this guys tutorial: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMZoWOpry40" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMZoWOpry40</a> , although some of the options I do not have in my BIos eventhough we use the same motherboard..I find that weird.

I didnt touch my ram memory freq as I'm not entirely sure what I have.
    I basically tried to disable as many power saving things as possible, EPU power saving mode and the such. I left speedstepping enabled.

For some reason (even before I tried to OC) if I monitor temps in BIOS as enabled I will get "CPU FAN WARNING" eventhough my temps are wery safe, like 35-45 in idle.

This guy changed "Load line calibration" without explaining it at all to "extreme" I don't even have the option of "extreme" so I just left it to auto..

I also left the CPU voltage to auto, I left all voltage settings to auto

disabled CPU spread spectrum because he said "seriously unstable" and "if you leave that enabled" = scary words :D
    CPU ID disabled

CPU C13 , C3, C6 I disabled...again I don't really know what they do but I did it anyways.

Basically I saw a performance increase that made NS2 barely playable, but playable atleast.

however it's still not acceptable and they should work hard on fixing it before the small amount of players run away like I almost did..

I can run most current games on medium or high settings and see very high FPS, NS2 is beautiful game and I want to be able to run it on highest settings ! I think i'd get like 3 fps if I did right now :)

My Nvidia geforce GTx 570 routinely gets temps over 85 ..which apparently is normal according to google, but my CPU gets very hot also, stresstest in Prime or other gives me a top temperature of 87.. is that really acceptable?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1965635:date=Aug 21 2012, 03:01 PM:name=Argathor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Argathor @ Aug 21 2012, 03:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965635"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just wanted to chime in here and re-affirm how silly and detrimental this statement is.

The vast majorty of people cannot play NS2 acceptably, this is why we have such a TINY active community.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lol.. thanks for speaking on behalf of the majority, argathor and knowing the reasons inside the head of every person who isn't active. ::rolls eyes::

back to being constructive in the topic:
    @ op no more subjective adjectives please, like "barely playable" .. what did r_stats say for fps?
    disable speed stepping.
    Then run the free app CPU-z to ensure your clock isnt fluctuating when idle.

you have a better cpu than me and the same GPU, so you should have what i get (~55 fps on average, which i consider to be playable) at a minimum.

Edit: That guy is right about corsair's coolers btw. I've been using H60 water cooler.
    |
    |
    \/
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1965708:date=Aug 21 2012, 07:59 PM:name=hassearo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hassearo @ Aug 21 2012, 07:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965708"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok guys, I've been busy with a few other things but I did indeed successfully overclock my CPU ..although the temperatures are a bit worrying I must say.

I didnt change the BCLK I just changed the multiplier to 41 (first I tried 45 but I got temperatures of 88 in a stresstest and immedietly ended the test)

I followed this guys tutorial: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMZoWOpry40" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMZoWOpry40</a> , although some of the options I do not have in my BIos eventhough we use the same motherboard..I find that weird.

I didnt touch my ram memory freq as I'm not entirely sure what I have.
    I basically tried to disable as many power saving things as possible, EPU power saving mode and the such. I left speedstepping enabled.

For some reason (even before I tried to OC) if I monitor temps in BIOS as enabled I will get "CPU FAN WARNING" eventhough my temps are wery safe, like 35-45 in idle.

This guy changed "Load line calibration" without explaining it at all to "extreme" I don't even have the option of "extreme" so I just left it to auto..

I also left the CPU voltage to auto, I left all voltage settings to auto

disabled CPU spread spectrum because he said "seriously unstable" and "if you leave that enabled" = scary words :D
    CPU ID disabled

CPU C13 , C3, C6 I disabled...again I don't really know what they do but I did it anyways.

Basically I saw a performance increase that made NS2 barely playable, but playable atleast.

however it's still not acceptable and they should work hard on fixing it before the small amount of players run away like I almost did..

I can run most current games on medium or high settings and see very high FPS, NS2 is beautiful game and I want to be able to run it on highest settings ! I think i'd get like 3 fps if I did right now :)

My Nvidia geforce GTx 570 routinely gets temps over 85 ..which apparently is normal according to google, but my CPU gets very hot also, stresstest in Prime or other gives me a top temperature of 87.. is that really acceptable?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

-You probably have a different BIOS firmware than that guy..as simple as an update. But if you don't have any issues and nothing was really improved in the update(s) then I wouldn't update.

-Load line calibration: as long as you're stable as you currently are you're probably fine. There should have been options for something like level 1-3 with 2-3 being the recommended settings. You're supposed to use CPU-Z to find which one gives you the same vcore stated in the BIOS.

-CPU voltage...you do NOT want this set to auto. You should have the option to set it between fixed and offset...you want this at offset and I set mine to +0.005V. If you leave it at auto you're more likely to experience a CPU overvoltage problem. 1.52v is the max safe for vcore and 1.9v is the max safe for PLL based on the Sandy Bridge technical info as well as what past people have fried their CPUs at.

-Temperatures...I use a Corsair H100 to keep my temps in line. You're probably going to have to upgrade the stock CPU cooler to get those temps under control for a better overclock.

How many FPS are you getting now?
  • hassearohassearo Join Date: 2012-08-21 Member: 156054Members
    @ ironhorse, well ofcourse that differs from map to map, from area to area etc.. but i'd say around 40 FPS in combat unless there are many many things going on in which case it will drop below 40 to maybe 25-35..
    just running around I get around 60-70 FPS.

it's a slight improvement sure.

I can't really do a fair taste now either as there are 0 european servers with people playing at this moment , latency will impact fps no?

thnx for the help
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1965724:date=Aug 21 2012, 10:51 PM:name=hassearo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hassearo @ Aug 21 2012, 10:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965724"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@ ironhorse, well ofcourse that differs from map to map, from area to area etc.. but i'd say around 40 FPS in combat unless there are many many things going on in which case it will drop below 40 to maybe 25-35..
    just running around I get around 60-70 FPS.

it's a slight improvement sure.

I can't really do a fair taste now either as there are 0 european servers with people playing at this moment , latency will impact fps no?

thnx for the help<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In my experience playing from US to European/Aussie servers, I did not experience a performance drop. Yes, the lag was noticeable in game, but any FPS gamer will notice problems at 150-200 ping.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1965612:date=Aug 21 2012, 08:56 PM:name=Talesin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Talesin @ Aug 21 2012, 08:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965612"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry, just have to say this... 30fps is 'unplayable'? <b>Get off my lawn!</b> I remember when 20-30fps was buttery-smooth, and 8-14fps was the norm. >:(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I remember when, almost a decade ago in the CRT-days, buttery-smooth was nothing less than 100FPS solid. How about YOU get off MY lawn.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    I think what makes NS2 actually unplayable isn't only about a singular fps figure or fps range like 'i get 40-60'. Its also the way the fps spikes so drastically and rapidly at times causing sudden perceived 'skipped frames', random sensitivity changes, and the way you expect events to occur. To make these drops palatable requires either a huge increase in the base fps and/or a decrease in said fps volatility.

@OP
    Yea, you can expect the game to be optimized but how much UWE can realistically improve is kinda hard for anyone besides UWE to really say. Afaik they've officially ball-parked something like 2x better performance than currrent although the client will need much more than that (objectively speaking for mainstream success) and servers even more. Obviously its in their interest to optimize the game as much as possible so there is hope.

Try opening net_stats and see whether the unplayability you experience is the result of choke spiking (higher than 0%). If so, i believe the movement prediction implementation is such that there really isn't any ammount of overclocking that can overcome it and the noticeable fps drop it creates. UWE have stated they are aware of choke related performance issues so there's that as well atleast..
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1965711:date=Aug 22 2012, 04:12 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Aug 22 2012, 04:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965711"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lol.. thanks for speaking on behalf of the majority, argathor and knowing the reasons inside the head of every person who isn't active. ::rolls eyes::<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Another mindless fanboy response, how cute. Do you ever tire of brown nosing UWE? I hope they pay you well...

I am not mindlessly bashing NS2, I love UWE as much as anyone else. The fact is there are huge problems facing NS2 that prevent widespread takeup, if there were not we would have a much larger active community. We all hope UWE can do some magic and get it all ready for release.

I am most worried by server performance, without huge improvements there will be no servers for a larger community to play on because no-one is going to get up enough servers with the current hardware they require (and just for 30ticks).
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1965711:date=Aug 22 2012, 05:12 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Aug 22 2012, 05:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965711"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@ op no more subjective adjectives please, like "barely playable" .. what did r_stats say for fps?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can I use adjectives like that then? I benchmarked and posted my results, almost always below 25 FPS.
  • YotopiaYotopia Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75176Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1965571:date=Aug 21 2012, 09:19 PM:name=t0ne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (t0ne @ Aug 21 2012, 09:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965571"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->see, this sort of thing gets me to scratch my head. I have a amd phemon II x4 955 at @3.2ghz with an ATI 4870, which is over 2 years old video card and get at least 55fps OR MORE during gameplay. the only difference is i'm playing at 1600x900, however your i5 system and video card are latest, so I'm not quite sure why you're having such bad performance.

there are a lot of people who are running the game just fine, you dont hear from those people. I really dont think there's any grounds for complaining on the game playability itself, as the majority can run it well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1965708:date=Aug 22 2012, 04:59 AM:name=hassearo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hassearo @ Aug 22 2012, 04:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965708"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can run most current games on medium or high settings and see very high FPS, NS2 is beautiful game and I want to be able to run it on highest settings ! I think i'd get like 3 fps if I did right now :)

My Nvidia geforce GTx 570 routinely gets temps over 85 ..which apparently is normal according to google, but my CPU gets very hot also, stresstest in Prime or other gives me a top temperature of 87.. is that really acceptable?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

@Tone

I have the same specs as you exept the gfx which is an ATI 4890.Have to say if i OC my CPU to 3.8GHZ or 3.9 GHZ (but wont do it again cause it didnt run stable) i get this kind of fps exept endgame where lag kills it.And i run all in highest settings with screenres 1600x1200.
    Overall fps improved on my machine during the latest patches and so i am pleased with my phemon II x4 955 at @3.2ghz now and stopped OCing it (we have a very hot summer here also :) ).

@hassearo

Either your trolling here or there is something completely wrong with your computer/system...
    3 Fps in highest settings with your specs ?!...
    Good joke :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1965512:date=Aug 21 2012, 05:45 PM:name=hassearo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hassearo @ Aug 21 2012, 05:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965512"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whats more disturbing is that there are litterally only 3-4 servers at any time with people on them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Everytime i pld the last 2 weeks between 20-23 CET i saw 7-10 full servers with an approximately player count of 200 on all servers.
    Right now there are 5 full servers.
    <a href="http://www.play4dead.com/ns2/" target="_blank">http://www.play4dead.com/ns2/</a>
    <!--quoteo(post=1965788:date=Aug 22 2012, 09:59 AM:name=Yotopia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yotopia @ Aug 22 2012, 09:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965788"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@hassearo

Either your trolling here or there is something completely wrong with your computer/system...
    3 Fps in highest settings with your specs ?!...
    Good joke :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not necessarily. You could have a 5GHz Sandybridge and still yield a crappy FPS due to some kind of incompatibility throwing a real monkey-wrench in there (think videocards, physx or even sound). It comes with the PC-platform, while not as much a problem as it used to be due to the bettering of many APIs, it still happens all the time, and is a potential reason to stick with an engine that has been around for a while.

Something to keep in mind before dismissing a complaint by someone with good specs.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1965792:date=Aug 22 2012, 11:10 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Aug 22 2012, 11:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965792"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not necessarily. You could have a 5GHz Sandybridge and still yield a crappy FPS due to some kind of incompatibility throwing a real monkey-wrench in there (think videocards, physx or even sound). It comes with the PC-platform, while not as much a problem as it used to be due to the bettering of many APIs, it still happens all the time, and is a potential reason to stick with an engine that has been around for a while.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, modern computers can't even handle line breaks consistently, I can't imagine the compatibility issues with more complicated things.
    <!--quoteo(post=1965788:date=Aug 22 2012, 11:59 AM:name=Yotopia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yotopia @ Aug 22 2012, 11:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965788"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@hassearo

<b>or there is something completely wrong with your computer/system...</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1965792:date=Aug 22 2012, 12:10 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Aug 22 2012, 12:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965792"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Something to keep in mind before dismissing a complaint by someone with good specs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Complaint ?

<!--quoteo(post=1965793:date=Aug 22 2012, 12:13 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Aug 22 2012, 12:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965793"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, modern computers can't even handle line breaks consistently, I can't imagine the compatibility issues with more complicated things.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes we are still living in autoexec.bat and config.sys times (hated those soundblaster irc configurations/conflicts)
    There doesn't have to be something wrong with his system. The notion that, as long as your system is in good working order, no software will ever run into conflicts\compatibility-problems ever, is a false one. Effort should be made on his part to get things working, but sometimes at the end of the day, a problem may arise that just has to be fixed in the program itself (even if said program follows all specifications and guidelines on whatever it does). It's not a perfect world, developers have to make do.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1965772:date=Aug 22 2012, 01:41 AM:name=Argathor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Argathor @ Aug 22 2012, 01:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965772"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am most worried by server performance, without huge improvements there will be no servers for a larger community to play on because no-one is going to get up enough servers with the current hardware they require (and just for 30ticks).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually, I'm a bit more concerned about people just throwing NS2 servers up without caring whether the hardware can handle it. UWE can't restrict what type of hardware people will run NS2 servers on, such that people will just throw them up on their generic clan server (running a bunch of other games) or ordering them off of general gaming server companies running standard gaming server hardware (i.e. not OC'd i5's/i7's). I can envision the v1.0 with tons of people complaining about poor performance even if they get decent fps because their playing on servers whose hardware can't actually handle it.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    yeah i hope they make the default server size 6v6 on release so that normal server hardware can run it. if they manage a 2x server performance increase, 6v6 on normal server hardware should be playable...
    <!--quoteo(post=1965809:date=Aug 22 2012, 01:25 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Aug 22 2012, 01:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965809"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yeah i hope they make the default server size 6v6 on release so that normal server hardware can run it. if they manage a 2x server performance increase, 6v6 on normal server hardware should be playable...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

..6v6....i want epic 16vs16 battles....but maybe in future.
    But it should be made for atleast 8vs8 or 9vs9 minimum.
    Yea 6v6 is no good for publics. As soon as a single player drops or goes AFK for a moment, it's down to 5v6 which will be severely detrimental to gameplay. Something like 7v7\8v8 should be the bare minimum.
    <!--quoteo(post=1965814:date=Aug 22 2012, 01:38 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Aug 22 2012, 01:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965814"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yea 6v6 is no good for publics. As soon as a single player drops or goes AFK for a moment, it's down to 5v6 which will be severely detrimental to gameplay. Something like 7v7\8v8 should be the bare minimum.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes thats very often a problem in public games and its very annoying...
    But remember a year ago there even a 5v5 was lagging like hell.Now we can play 9v9 till end game.
  • t0net0ne Join Date: 2012-07-15 Member: 154142Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1965685:date=Aug 21 2012, 09:04 PM:name=Dghelneshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dghelneshi @ Aug 21 2012, 09:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965685"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->67fps. <b>Average</b>, not consistent. <u><b>With the best hardware available for money right now.</b></u> You should also consider that a good part of that average comes from having 100fps while being dead.
    No, you don't have a reason to lie. You're probably just ignorant.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you're right, I can shoot, command, build and do all the tasks required to play this game, but for some reason, I cant <b>READ </b>white text output of my frames per second value from r_stats.

also, the reason why the benchmark includes an average frames per second value is because no computer game or anything with graphics is going to have consistent frames without v-sync on, and even that isnt 100% consistent. so by me stating that his 67fps is on par with what I am getting compared to our differences in hardware is actually quite logical.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    edited August 2012
    There was something about a new profiling tool a while ago, anybody knows something about that?

By knowing something I mean running it and giving us the result :)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1965772:date=Aug 22 2012, 01:41 AM:name=Argathor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Argathor @ Aug 22 2012, 01:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965772"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am not mindlessly bashing NS2,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Didn't say you were, and what you have to say about performance is true, but thanks for calling me a "mindless fanboy" when all i did was call you out for speaking for others? Totally makes sense....

@imabalanxd: you can use whatever you want man, but its more helpful to actually have a number instead of a highly subject and opinionated adjective. I would also agree, 25 fps max is unplayable. i couldn't play this game with that fps.. ::hugs computer::

annnyywayysss.. i agree with scardybob and player.. server performance is #1 worry for me.

@yuuki you can run p_logall and then p_endlog and then install python and use the performance analyzer tool, it comes with the build under ns2/util/perfanalyzer and you can now analyze frame by frame performance :)
  • HellbillyHellbilly A whole title out of pity... Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3931Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    I have to say, this game is not easy on my system. I have an i7 and a GTX570 which plays BF3 quite buttery, but NS2 struggles.
  • t0net0ne Join Date: 2012-07-15 Member: 154142Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1965916:date=Aug 22 2012, 02:52 PM:name=Hellbilly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hellbilly @ Aug 22 2012, 02:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965916"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have to say, this game is not easy on my system. I have an i7 and a GTX570 which plays BF3 quite buttery, but NS2 struggles.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

dice/ea would of had probably about 20-25 full time qa testers during the entire development cycle, plus the data they gathered from the open beta. its sort of implied that obviously ea/dice have more resources to complete such tasks in a given timeframe.
    <!--quoteo(post=1965814:date=Aug 22 2012, 04:38 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Aug 22 2012, 04:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965814"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yea 6v6 is no good for publics. As soon as a single player drops or goes AFK for a moment, it's down to 5v6 which will be severely detrimental to gameplay. Something like 7v7\8v8 should be the bare minimum.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm actually thinking what would be good and doable would be:
    - 6v6 (for comp play) = Can run on low-to-mid server hardware
    - 9v9 (for regular pub play) = Can run on mid-to-high server hardware
    - 12v12 (for huge pub game play) = Can only run on the currently OC'd hardware
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    What is low server hardware when e.g. a gameservers.com box cant even handle 5players with 30ticks at the beginning of a round? (we tested that ~2 weeks ago, before scrajm started throwing around ~600€ building a server)
  • Gravity GraveGravity Grave California Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148556Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1965765:date=Aug 22 2012, 12:15 AM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Aug 22 2012, 12:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965765"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Try opening net_stats and see whether the unplayability you experience is the result of choke spiking (higher than 0%). If so, i believe the movement prediction implementation is such that there really isn't any ammount of overclocking that can overcome it and the noticeable fps drop it creates. UWE have stated they are aware of choke related performance issues so there's that as well atleast..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've noticed choke issues seem to be FAR worse since 216 was released (it was nearly perfect in 215 for me)... particularly on Docking. Sudden insane hitch-lag makes it unplayable no matter which server I'm on and no matter what the ping is. Choke issues start to crop up for me in other maps as well as the games progress into the later stages.