Optimization and servers

hassearohassearo Join Date: 2012-08-21 Member: 156054Members
<div class="IPBDescription">asdf</div>So I bought the game a few months back, and it was 100% unplayable for me then but I waited because I knew it was a beta and its stupid to scream refund.

Now it's been several months and I still can't play this game, it lags so much, I average maybe 40fps, I get about 20-30 FPS during combat which is not controllable at all as you know.
My specs are i5 2500K 8gb DDR3, Gainward Gforce 570GTX, I can run all current games.

Whats more disturbing is that there are litterally only 3-4 servers at any time with people on them.

I'd ask for a refund but I know you already closed that door. Can I expect the game to be optimized at all or shall I just shelv the game and not think about it again ?

A real shame beacuse it seems to be very fun if it had any sort of optimization and comunity behind it but the game seems rather dead ;/

Oh I normally get between 20 - 50 ping, incase you were wondering if it was my latency screwing up the FPS.
I play with all options turned to low/off 1900x1200 (native) resolution

Comments

• Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    Hi there fella, i see your new to the forums, so you probably wont know, but this question does get asked by a lot of new posters, but we forgive you ;D

The game is "feature locked" now, which means that they arent adding anything new, (except the exo of course), as i understand it, most of the devs time now is spent optimising the program, it increases by leaps and bounds every patch, and you can expect it to improove a great deal over the next few patches.

My advice is, be excited, because optimisation is ongoing, and the game is almost out. Give them time, and the chance to improove what they have built, i dont think you will be disapointed.

I also find that there are huge numbers of servers running for a beta, for a while after the total biscuit videos, it was positivly rammed full of players :)

Hunter
  • KuikiKuiki Join Date: 2012-02-03 Member: 143467Members
    I disagree in the most of the points, I got sometimes below 20 and deeper but i still play the game, maybe its because I never played games on high fps cause my hardware is to bad but i never cry about this. And I now people who played at 60fps and beyond are quickly crying when they play at 30 ;-)
    The other point with the servers, the most times I see 5 or 6 server full but in the evening there are much more server full, so the game cant be dead, its beta at maybe u play in a time zone where now one is playing, hink about it ;-)
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    I think of it as training in 100 times earth's gravity. When the game is finally optimised, I'm going to be so far ahead of everyone! That or my eyes will hurt from so many frames.
  • hassearohassearo Join Date: 2012-08-21 Member: 156054Members
    Thanks for the fast responses guys.

First off I play in CET timezone, I wouldn't call it a deadzone :D okey it's not the same timezone as the game developers (american I believe? SF?)

I sincerely hope you are right about them working hard on optimizing it.

@ Kuilki I don't mean to be mean or anything but you are incorrect, just because you have been used to horrible frames doesn't mean it's enjoyable for the vast majority of people, also it's a severe handicap for you, you need high frames in a game such as this because you need to look around fast to spot skulks and such on the walls, also as alien switching between "nightvision" and normal vision, using celerity and leapjumping just cripples my FPS.
    If you manage to be useful with that low FPS I think you would be very good with decent FPS, just sayin !

as of right now it's playable if I meet up with a skulk in a room 1v1, but if the commander does a "recall" (not sure what it's called sorry, noob afterall) and it's 6v6 inside marine base with 5+ buildings my frames get to around 5... that is slideshow territory.

@imbalanced: yes thats funny and true :) but I have no patience for things that do not work properly, thats just my personality, I want things to function or it will just ruin the fun for me.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    Only thing you can do is overclock your CPU as much as possible. Most people that get playable FPS have the same CPU as you, just overclocked to the max. Other than that, just wait and cross your fingers.
    Hi Wilson.

I would do that but I'm not very adept in those sorta things, I don't wish to harm my computer..any tips on material I can read up on if I want to do it anyways?
  • KaptajnKLOKaptajnKLO Join Date: 2012-06-25 Member: 153658Members
    edited August 2012
    The game is still in beta, so I don't really understand why you and others are almost ready to quit the game. Just wait for 1.0 and if the performance is still not satisfactory for you then consider quitting it. Quitting now would just be silly.

<!--quoteo(post=1965525:date=Aug 21 2012, 06:15 PM:name=hassearo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hassearo @ Aug 21 2012, 06:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965525"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi Wilson.

I would do that but I'm not very adept in those sorta things, I don't wish to harm my computer..any tips on material I can read up on if I want to do it anyways?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Unless your motherboard can auto overclock for you or you want to research a whole heck of alot on how to do it manually, then I wouldn't bother. It is so easy to f*** up your PC when you mess with it like that and you don't know what you're doing that to me it's not worth it.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Pm me, I'll walk you through it.
    Its incredibly easy.. I don't know why some are so scared of it, almost every cpu made today is designed and marketed around being over clocked.

For the record I've been running an over clocked i7 920 @ 4ghz for two years and not one issue. (default is 2.6)
    was a 20 fps boost for me.
    been reading up on it and seems I found a pretty good tutorial video on it,

Basically if I mess up will my mobo fry or will it just shut down and revert to default settings ? this is my main worry as I've already burned one graphics card in my career, it wasn't my fault but I didn't monitor temperatures at all (nvidia certified drivers fried it)
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Im going to be honest and say dont overclock your CPU just to play NS2... Thats a really bad idea. There are a number of additional requirements you would want to make sure you meet before you attempt it, and if its only for just one game (NS2) then I would atleast make sure you really like the game first. Despite what people will tell you things can and do go wrong...

If you really want to overclock your CPU, atleast make sure that you have a decent powersupply that exceeds your needs, a decent motherboard and a decent cpu cooler.
  • spaceturtlespaceturtle Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154714Members
    If you go slow, overclocking an i5 is pretty safe. Get a good cooler, and SLOWLY bump the voltage up with each processor speed increase. Get into windows, play around, make sure it is stable. If you get a crash or blue screen, bump it down.

The i5 overclocks beautifully. Been running mine at 4.5ghz for a year now, 100% stable. Definitely need a better than included fan/heatsink if you want to do it right. Mine cost 30 bucks, was on sale normally went for 50. But it does it fine.
  • deckdeck Join Date: 2012-08-21 Member: 156067Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1965512:date=Aug 21 2012, 08:45 AM:name=hassearo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hassearo @ Aug 21 2012, 08:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965512"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now it's been several months and I still can't play this game, it lags so much, I average maybe 40fps, I get about 20-30 FPS during combat which is not controllable at all as you know.
    My specs are i5 2500K 8gb DDR3, Gainward Gforce 570GTX, I can run all current games.

Oh I normally get between 20 - 50 ping, incase you were wondering if it was my latency screwing up the FPS.
    I play with all options turned to low/off 1900x1200 (native) resolution<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So I'm new the forums, but I've been playing NS2 since the Gorilla build. I have very similar specs to you:

i5 2500k, 4gb ddr3 1866, evga 560gtx

but I run the game at around 45-50fps when I'm in battle and it can be upwards to 60 fps when not much is happening. So its kinda weird that your experience with the game is so much worse than mine. Only time I have a large drop in FPS is the first few seconds I first load onto a team (which is usually negligible). I also run the game at 1920x1080 resolution.
  • Tom_Hanks13Tom_Hanks13 Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155569Members
    I actually think everyone should know how to overclock a CPU. I wouldn't say overclock it just for NS2, but definitely do some research for a few weeks and then maybe trying to bump your 2500k to 4Ghz. You can go higher but I am assuming you have a stock cooler and you'll probably overheat it if you arent careful.

I built a custom water cooling loop for my 2500K at keep it at 4.9Ghz and at least from the benchmark threads it seems I have one of the higher FPS on the forum. I would say that is kind of proof that this game is heavily CPU dependent.

I would search "how to overclock 2500k" on google and just got from there.
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1965551:date=Aug 21 2012, 02:07 PM:name=Tom_Hanks13)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tom_Hanks13 @ Aug 21 2012, 02:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965551"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I actually think everyone should know how to overclock a CPU. I wouldn't say overclock it just for NS2, but definitely do some research for a few weeks and then maybe trying to bump your 2500k to 4Ghz. You can go higher but I am assuming you have a stock cooler and you'll probably overheat it if you arent careful.

I built a custom water cooling loop for my 2500K at keep it at 4.9Ghz and at least from the benchmark threads it seems I have one of the higher FPS on the forum. I would say that is kind of proof that this game is heavily CPU dependent.

I would search "how to overclock 2500k" on google and just got from there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I loved you in Big
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    Nice avatar tom ^^
  • t0net0ne Join Date: 2012-07-15 Member: 154142Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1965512:date=Aug 21 2012, 11:45 AM:name=hassearo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hassearo @ Aug 21 2012, 11:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965512"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So I bought the game a few months back, and it was 100% unplayable for me then but I waited because I knew it was a beta and its stupid to scream refund.

Now it's been several months and I still can't play this game, it lags so much, I average maybe 40fps, I get about 20-30 FPS during combat which is not controllable at all as you know.

Whats more disturbing is that there are litterally only 3-4 servers at any time with people on them.

I'd ask for a refund but I know you already closed that door. Can I expect the game to be optimized at all or shall I just shelv the game and not think about it again ?

A real shame beacuse it seems to be very fun if it had any sort of optimization and comunity behind it but the game seems rather dead ;/

I play with all options turned to low/off 1900x1200 (native) resolution<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

see, this sort of thing gets me to scratch my head. I have a amd phemon II x4 955 at @3.2ghz with an ATI 4870, which is over 2 years old video card and get at least 55fps OR MORE during gameplay. the only difference is i'm playing at 1600x900, however your i5 system and video card are latest, so I'm not quite sure why you're having such bad performance.

there are a lot of people who are running the game just fine, you dont hear from those people. I really dont think there's any grounds for complaining on the game playability itself, as the majority can run it well.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1965571:date=Aug 21 2012, 09:19 PM:name=t0ne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (t0ne @ Aug 21 2012, 09:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965571"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->see, this sort of thing gets me to scratch my head. I have a amd phemon II x4 955 at @3.2ghz with an ATI 4870, which is over 2 years old video card and get at least 55fps OR MORE during gameplay. the only difference is i'm playing at 1600x900, however your i5 system and video card are latest, so I'm not quite sure why you're having such bad performance.

there are a lot of people who are running the game just fine, you dont hear from those people. I really dont think there's any grounds for complaining on the game playability itself, as the majority can run it well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Please benchmark this. I want to see it. Use Fraps to benchmark and Excel to draw an FPS graph. The graph is important, as min/max/avg can vary a lot by how much you die and other things. You can even do the benchmark on minimum settings, it doesn't matter. You will definitely not have "at least 55fps" unless you're in the readyroom. <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=119506&view=findpost&p=1965354" target="_blank">Even people with 5GHz (!!!) CPUs drop below 55fps in NS2.</a>
    I run a 650w powersupply and I just bought a new CPU cooler, COoler master 612 s, it's massive so should do the trick.

Maybe i should just let them fix the game instead because seems most people have unplayable FPS, when I say unplayable to me it means to not have 60+ stable fps, the way immersive games should be played, it's just not fun otherwise for me, can be the best game in the world but if there is not 60+ fps, I won't play it... maybe this comes from my CS / quake days when you did everything you could to hunt down a few extra frames per second, as it was directly crucial to gameplay to have 99 fps (125 in quake)
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1965571:date=Aug 21 2012, 09:19 PM:name=t0ne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (t0ne @ Aug 21 2012, 09:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965571"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->see, this sort of thing gets me to scratch my head. I have a amd phemon II x4 955 at @3.2ghz with an ATI 4870, which is over 2 years old video card and get at least 55fps OR MORE during gameplay. the only difference is i'm playing at 1600x900, however your i5 system and video card are latest, so I'm not quite sure why you're having such bad performance.

there are a lot of people who are running the game just fine, you dont hear from those people. I really dont think there's any grounds for complaining on the game playability itself, as the majority can run it well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, right. My PC is a bit better than yours, also using AMD hardware and a lower resolution.
    Performance is not even close to "at least 55fps during gameplay" with that setup.
    <!--quoteo(post=1965567:date=Aug 21 2012, 11:47 AM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Aug 21 2012, 11:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965567"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice avatar tom ^^<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

WILSON!!!!!
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    Sorry, just have to say this... 30fps is 'unplayable'? <b>Get off my lawn!</b> I remember when 20-30fps was buttery-smooth, and 8-14fps was the norm. >:(

That said, I'd also doubt the 55fps claim. Optimization is expected to improve performance considerably before release however.
  • t0net0ne Join Date: 2012-07-15 Member: 154142Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1965578:date=Aug 21 2012, 03:30 PM:name=Dghelneshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dghelneshi @ Aug 21 2012, 03:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965578"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please benchmark this. I want to see it. Use Fraps to benchmark and Excel to draw an FPS graph. The graph is important, as min/max/avg can vary a lot by how much you die and other things. You can even do the benchmark on minimum settings, it doesn't matter. You will definitely not have "at least 55fps" unless you're in the readyroom. <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=119506&view=findpost&p=1965354" target="_blank">Even people with 5GHz (!!!) CPUs drop below 55fps in NS2.</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this was copied from that post with the benchmark data. I dont see how you cant believe that when the tester posted this:

Min Max Avg
    37 104 67.586

his average was 67fps. and I'm stating a 18% difference in less gameplay frames and you're calling me a liar? what reason do I have to lie about this? I've played in games with low ping, high ping with r_stats left on and watched my frames. I'm not saying I get 55fps guaranteed in gameplay, but out of the 4-5 games I played with r_stats, thats right around where it stayed.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1965571:date=Aug 21 2012, 08:19 PM:name=t0ne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (t0ne @ Aug 21 2012, 08:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965571"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->there are a lot of people who are running the game just fine, you dont hear from those people. I really dont think there's any grounds for complaining on the game playability itself, as the majority can run it well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I just wanted to chime in here and re-affirm how silly and detrimental this statement is.

The vast majorty of people cannot play NS2 acceptably, this is why we have such a TINY active community.

Out of myself and a few friends, I get barely acceptable performance with a top of the range PC and my other friends either cannot even load the game without it crashing or get wildly unacceptable performance with decent to midrange PCs.

The amount of people actively playing NS2 (compared to the amount of people who have pre-ordered the game) should be a huge warning sign. It is clear that the game is not in an acceptable state, by a long shot.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    You don't even necessarily have to touch the voltage to OC your processer. You can simply increase the clock speed and increase the cycles. Then leave the voltage on auto and not even worry about figuring out your minimum voltage or feeding too much voltage and producing extra heat.

You can probably boost your i5 2500k to a stable 4GHz with about two changes in your bios: Bump clock speed to 103 and cycles to 40x. Make sure you download a tempeture monitor. I use CoreTemp, but there are many different options. If you're going above this then you should definitely look into aftermarket fans to control your heat. They are very easy to install, though a bit intimidating for your first time. Follow a video guide and it's quite easy.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    If you buy a piece of ###### with the intention of overclocking it so it runs acceptably, by all means do so.

If you buy high end ######, specifically so that you can already expect to get top performance, for gods sake don't overclock.
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1965637:date=Aug 21 2012, 03:12 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Aug 21 2012, 03:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965637"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You don't even necessarily have to touch the voltage to OC your processer. You can simply increase the clock speed and increase the cycles. Then leave the voltage on auto and not even worry about figuring out your minimum voltage or feeding too much voltage and producing extra heat.

You can probably boost your i5 2500k to a stable 4GHz with about two changes in your bios: Bump clock speed to 103 and cycles to 40x. Make sure you download a tempeture monitor. I use CoreTemp, but there are many different options. If you're going above this then you should definitely look into aftermarket fans to control your heat. They are very easy to install, though a bit intimidating for your first time. Follow a video guide and it's quite easy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

2500K's don't do too well when you change BCLK speed. Seems silly but you are just better off keeping the BCLK at 100 and only changing the multiplier to 40. He still needs to learn what he is doing otherwise he will inadvertently break something.
  • MzMzMzMz Join Date: 2006-10-23 Member: 58087Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    lol, I can't even count how many times I facepalmed in this thread.
    some people really do have great insights about FPS and current state of NS2

to OP: your CPU is literally screaming for you to overclock, if you didn't know what 2500<b>K</b> means.
    that said, if you have no knowledge in the area and not feel comfortable about it, then you should never overclock.
    If you are up for the task, do thorough research beforehand. I'd say dig reading materials for at least a week
    before you even attempt to open up your bios.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1965630:date=Aug 21 2012, 11:52 PM:name=t0ne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (t0ne @ Aug 21 2012, 11:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965630"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->his average was 67fps. and I'm stating a 18% difference in less gameplay frames and you're calling me a liar? what reason do I have to lie about this? I've played in games with low ping, high ping with r_stats left on and watched my frames.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    67fps. <b>Average</b>, not consistent. <u><b>With the best hardware available for money right now.</b></u> You should also consider that a good part of that average comes from having 100fps while being dead.
    No, you don't have a reason to lie. You're probably just ignorant.

<!--quoteo(post=1965630:date=Aug 21 2012, 11:52 PM:name=t0ne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (t0ne @ Aug 21 2012, 11:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965630"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->not saying I get 55fps guaranteed<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> in gameplay, but out of the 4-5 games I played with r_stats, thats right around where it stayed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--quoteo(post=1965571:date=Aug 21 2012, 09:19 PM:name=t0ne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (t0ne @ Aug 21 2012, 09:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965571"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->get <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->at least 55fps OR MORE<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> during gameplay<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1965640:date=Aug 21 2012, 06:16 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Aug 21 2012, 06:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965640"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you buy a piece of ###### with the intention of overclocking it so it runs acceptably, by all means do so.

If you buy high end ######, specifically so that you can already expect to get top performance, for gods sake don't overclock.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

except that the intel -k series is designed with overclocking EXPECTED. it is an enthusiast's line of CPU's. of course you should overclock.
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    edited August 2012
    Whoever said the i5-2500k is a POS should go shoot themselves in the face. Right now.

So moving on...not sure what motherboard you're using but this guide has some pretty helpful stuff in it: <a href="http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/sandy-ivy-bridge-complete-overclocking-guide-asrock-edition" target="_blank">http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/sandy-i...-asrock-edition</a>

Do NOT change BCLK speed, keep that at 100 and use the CPU multiplier to attain the desired CPU frequency. It's as easy as sliding it to 45 if you want 4.5GHz. Just make sure you run stress test software such as Prime95 or IntelBurnTest to make sure your system is stable afterwards.

Oh and btw...try to stay below 80C for your CPU core temp.