I miss the Onos

TheIcarusKidTheIcarusKid Join Date: 2012-03-23 Member: 149258Members
It's been a few builds now where the mighty Onos is rarely seen at all, even with a 4-hive late game. They're slow, vulnerable, and very easily die to a handful of upgraded LMGs. Fades/Lerks/Gorges working together do a much better job of basecracking these days.

Will the advent of the Minigun come with a boost to Onos health? I miss my favorite spacerhinogorilla and want to see him come back!

Comments

• EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I remember dropping an Onos egg as a commander. I'm pretty sure it didn't last a minute. :(
    I often don't see Onos being supported by the team though, they need healspray and umbra to keep them in the game for longer, skulks to run interference and a fade (or the lerk) to pick off pursuing jetpackers. Mostly what I see is an Onos running at a bunch of marines down a corridor and completely over-extending.
  • DustehDusteh Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112142Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Agreed, just feels so sluggish and useless at the moment. A good marine with a jet pack can solo an Onos 1v1, just seems ridiculous, a group of jet pack marines and you don't stand a chance (often the case when you enter the marine base and the whole team is beaconed back).

Definitely in need of a buff, hopefully a speed increase / health increase for 217?
  • SlamHanniganSlamHannigan Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153952Members
    Agreed, there's a point where playing smart won't do it. Onos feels really squishy at the moment. I was part of an Onos pair yesterday -- we played smart and eventually won, but it seemed like it took a lot more effort than it used to. Had to keep retreating back to the Crag and get healsprayed by our gorge much more often.
  • TheIcarusKidTheIcarusKid Join Date: 2012-03-23 Member: 149258Members
    Two gorges supporting an Onos definitely helps, but speed is often the issue. The carapace speed nerf really hit Onos the hardest.

Could we remove the slowdown after Charge? That always seemed like an unnecessarily harsh penalty on a lifeform that is already so slow. Or perhaps a boost to non-Carapace armor so a Regen Onos is a viable choice.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    The onos is not slow, his charge doesn't have any slowdown tagged on at the end now so he can be pretty quick.

He could use a minor health buff imo though since the p-res rate has been slowed down and you won't see them till generally mid/late game and you will only see stomp on 3hive he wont be so OP like he was before. Shotties just destroy him in seconds atm.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    Whatever happened to onos being nearly invunerable from the front? That was the whole point UWE designing the onos with all of that bone armor on the front :)

this would be a really fun gameplay mechanic, marines trying to flank you etc
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    edited August 2012
    This hasn't been my experience.

The onos is for killing buildings, and with team support it is very good at it. An onos with gorge support can take out a power node or other key structure pretty quickly.

What an onos *can not* do is take on more then 3 marines unsupported, or a single jp marine unsupported if he is in a big room. The lifeform isn't a be all trump card, and it shouldn't be. it is instead purpose built for breaking marine entrenchments. No single lifeform should be able to do this by itself, but when combine in a team effort, the onos is very powerful. When playing as an onos your job should be to stomp non-jp marines, and focus down either the phase gate in a forward base, or the power node / arms lab in marine start. Let your team mates deal with marines. Your other job is to be a big scary threat / bullet sponge so your team mates can clean up.

The onos is more powerful as a threat, it forces the marines to respond and focus fire. This needs to be leveraged by the rest of the team.

think of the onos like an arc train. A very powerful tool for your team to break an entrenched position. Would you send ARCs in with out support and expect them to do well?

While I agree, the onos probably needs some buffing, he doesn't need much and he is far from useless.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I've been playing around with a regen/celerity/silence build for the onos with some success. Ironically, I think the onos plays best as a corridor-lockdown class in which you do quick attack/retreats in a cramped location to prevent marine movement.
    edited August 2012
    I agree with your points Katana, but the current reality (this is only the last few builds) doesn't seem to be favoring this. Fades seem to get more out of 50 res than Onos do out of 75. Perhaps this is a hit reg issue where the game is balanced for poor hit reg, therefore the only things you CAN hit are the size of a shed.

This is just going by my observations in pub games over the last few builds. They used to be seen in every game that wasn't very short, now half of alien victories occur without hatching a single Onos. It's just not worth the res.

A big issue is running away - if you're wounded, a single LMG marine can chase you down and kill you rather easily. If you're unlucky enough to clip a wall during charge, then you're toast.

EDIT: Ah, didn't know they removed the slowdown after charge. Cheers!
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    currently it eels like the onos has been replaced by the longer ranged, far more effective, cheaper, gorge. Nerf the bilebomb and buff onos-to-structure damage. i'm more afraid of a rambo gorge destroying my base atm which i can't counter in anyway, used to be able to get a few turrets up and he'd have to slowly advance and now that's out the window.. well.. bring back the onos!
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am guessing most aliens will get a buff when the exo is out
    <!--quoteo(post=1962422:date=Aug 13 2012, 05:00 PM:name=AuroN2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AuroN2 @ Aug 13 2012, 05:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962422"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->currently it eels like the onos has been replaced by the longer ranged, far more effective, cheaper, gorge. Nerf the bilebomb and buff onos-to-structure damage. i'm more afraid of a rambo gorge destroying my base atm which i can't counter in anyway, used to be able to get a few turrets up and he'd have to slowly advance and now that's out the window.. well.. bring back the onos!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes I think you hit the nail on the head there... why bother with Onos when you can get a couple of gorges bilebombing with lerks and fades to shield them?

On a side note, bilebomb is such a hard counter to turrets that they remain practically useless unless aliens only have 1 hive. Not sure if that's a good thing or not, but it's reality. I personally like the current approach of high damage but low HP turrets, but still have a hard time ever justifying building a robo as comm.
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is charge useful? Atm, for me, it seems like the skill to hit if I want to run into a wall... Marine bases are too crowded to use it and the hallways have too many twists and turns that the onos can't navigate while charging.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    the problem with the onos is that with charge, he runs far past his gorge support to get to marines. this is a death sentence.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have had a many 2 hour games this build because the aliens couldn't take the marines final base. It is time for an onos buff, especially with the upcoming exo. The marines don't have a problem finishing off the last alien base usually. Why must the aliens fight so hard for it.
  • {GGs} Chicken{GGs} Chicken Join Date: 2011-11-22 Member: 134663Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1962437:date=Aug 13 2012, 05:28 PM:name=james888)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (james888 @ Aug 13 2012, 05:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962437"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have had a many 2 hour games this build because the aliens couldn't take the marines final base. It is time for an onos buff, especially with the upcoming exo. The marines don't have a problem finishing off the last alien base usually. Why must the aliens fight so hard for it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Coordination. That's the only thing stopping public alien teams from steam rolling marines turtled in base.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1962444:date=Aug 13 2012, 05:51 PM:name={GGs} Chicken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ({GGs} Chicken @ Aug 13 2012, 05:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962444"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Coordination. That's the only thing stopping public alien teams from steam rolling marines turtled in base.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yup.

Games that don't end where it's 3 Hives to 1 CC is pure lack of teamwork.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1962475:date=Aug 13 2012, 07:09 PM:name=Locklear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Locklear @ Aug 13 2012, 07:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962475"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yup.

Games that don't end where it's 3 Hives to 1 CC is pure lack of teamwork.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The last one was just earlier today. We had a 3 onos rush, a umbaing lerk, a gorge bile bombing, and the rest of the team defending the forward pushing marines. We got gernaded/shotguned down before we took the cc. We ended up winning that game because we tried it again while the whole team rushed one of our hives. It was a pub game.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The onos is not slow, his charge doesn't have any slowdown tagged on at the end now so he can be pretty quick.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    does this mean they also removed the damage-reduction which the onos gained during the slow-down?

anyway, in my oppinion many people play the onos as a meatgrinder, although it is actually supposed to be a tank (preventing marines from killing his nearby allies) which is also very effective at taking down extractors and outposts. attacking the main base (even with several oni) should require additional alien classes to finish off the marines which are either stomped to the ground, running for their lives or focus-fireing you.

that said, i agree that 75 is a quite a lot considering his current abilities. the res-timing is currently quite essential and not only because of jetpacks: weapon upgrades can have a much more dramatic effect on the onos than on other life-forms. the hide-armor blocks 60% rifle-damage against weapons0 but only 30% against weapons3. so making the onos a bit more accessable might already solve this issue, although i'd still prefer it to be a lategame lifeform instead (feels less unfair and more awesome).
    well, how about adding a tier2 ability as a general buff? something simple (=easy to implement) which will make him a bit more durable somehow? or maybe a buff for his nearby allies, e.g. boosting his allies adrenaline by using up his own in a roar?
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    Onos is completely useless against fully upgraded marines even when he has support.

We had 3 hives and fully upgrades and couldn't do anything against marines turtling. Onos were killing within seconds.........
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I feel like devour should come back to face the exos. Part of the reason (in my experience) that Onos was so fun in NS1 was that it was up to the Onos players to defend against HA trains.

Perhaps devour should be tier 2 research? i know the devs are very against taking control away from the player, but isnt that what vortex is? and the spider (as yet to be released also) sounds like webs, which do the same thing. I'm afraid that when exos come out, the heavy unit vs. heavy unit gameplay will be intensely marine sided unless the Onos gets some luvin'
  • Commie SpyCommie Spy Join Date: 2009-07-02 Member: 68008Members
    edited August 2012
    Yes the NS2 Onos sucks. I don't know where to begin but something is wrong.

The Onos <b>speed </b>and <b>movement </b>will probably change once more marine tech comes out. UWE needs to hurry up and get everything released so things can be balanced for v1.0. The only reason Onos are slow right now (I think) is probably because only LMG's and shotguns are around to counter them. Without handicapping the Onos, marines would just get their bases destroyed. Once more marine abilities come out, HMG - Exo suit, we can see a return to a more fun onos. Part of the reason I love NS1 is that mobile Onos. I don't play cr4ppy slow NS2 onos just because anythig can slow you down which is stupid and not fun.

And the heavy emphasis on gorge/onos play needs to be reduced a bit. Sometimes in pubs you just become absolutely useless as an Onos because there are no smart gorges. Or no gorges at all! And where gorges are busy healing 1 Onos, they are supporting only 1 lifeform. Gorge just dies instantly. NOT a team game UWE. As opposed to NS1 where one gorge could stay back behind enemy lines and heal retreating Onos, Fades, Lerks, structures, etc. And guess which gorge gets defensive support from their team? The NS1 or NS2 one? In NS1 the bond between Onos and gorge was there. And fun. The bond in NS2 is kind of there and sure as hell not fun. Neither for gorge or for Onos.

[edit]

ps UWE release everything before v1.0... you want a balanced game for 1.0, not a game that needs 2 - 3 builds to be balanced out...
  • oMeoMe Join Date: 2004-02-01 Member: 25884Members
    Maybe the Onos doesnt fit ns2...
    Uwe should think about to remove the onos and add another new creature, maybe even a low res one (lower then 75 res).
  • MrRadicalEdMrRadicalEd Turrent Master Join Date: 2004-08-13 Member: 30601Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1962496:date=Aug 13 2012, 09:43 PM:name=Benson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benson @ Aug 13 2012, 09:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962496"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I feel like devour should come back to face the exos. Part of the reason (in my experience) that Onos was so fun in NS1 was that it was up to the Onos players to defend against HA trains.

Perhaps devour should be tier 2 research? i know the devs are very against taking control away from the player, but isnt that what vortex is? and the spider (as yet to be released also) sounds like webs, which do the same thing. I'm afraid that when exos come out, the heavy unit vs. heavy unit gameplay will be intensely marine sided unless the Onos gets some luvin'<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm glad I am not the only one who remembers this... It's a contradiction in the design philosophy for sure. I would be interested in what Charlie had to say about these elements(taking away player control).
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    that or nerf the gorge bile bomb, or remove it, as the bloody units a support character, not the new friggen siege. and it's so impossible to kill laggy gorges, ugh!
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Being eaten does take away control from the player, but it was really fun eating people and also being eaten in NS1. It made the onos special, and being in the belly was a big surprise to players the first few times :)
    While I do admit that Devour was a signature of NS1, that still doesn't account for the fact that the Onos was a core part of the Kharaa arsenal 4-6 builds ago, and absolute terror 15-20 builds ago.

It's all a matter of numbers really, and I have faith that UWE will tweak it back and forth enough to make it feel right. Considering how much the Onos appears as an icon for NS2, the balancing will happen soon enough.

The Devour discussion does bring up an intersting point though... what will go in that extra weapon slot for the Onos?
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1962550:date=Aug 14 2012, 08:10 AM:name=Grimfang)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Grimfang @ Aug 14 2012, 08:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962550"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Being eaten does take away control from the player, but it was really fun eating people and also being eaten in NS1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So? Whats the problem "take away control from the player"? Flamethrower take the ability to attack from aliens(and the ability from lerk to fly...so its the same!), which has nearly the same effect.
    The only diffrence is, you can maybe be alive and flee, but you also can in the belly of an onos if marines shoot the onos.
    I realy hope that feature come back if marines have exosuit, otherwiste it will be very hard for aliens.
    i mean dual wielded miniguns and alien egg smashing exosuits, wow the onos will survive only a second...how will they make this balanced without giving onos the eating ability?
    Stomp don't even work with actual marines (i mean it kinda works but it isn't that effective like in Ns1, also the marines glitch/slide on the ground), and if exosuits comming...they laugh while there 1 second stun on the ground while their miniguns spin's :P
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2005-05-15 Member: 51659
    Melee-Exo suits should be able to rip open the (dead) onos to free their comrades.

Maybe eaten Marines should be able to shoot the Onos from the inside to do damage. :P