Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 216 changelog

Comments

• OmegaliskOmegalisk Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139750Members
    Some thoughts:

-I think the gradient when building as a Marine is overkill. You already have the percentage on the Builder Tool, and the effect of displaying status on a weapon (such as ammo count) is a very cool thing that I rarely see in games. I don't particularly like the new setup.

-I don't like the new Marine "Alien vision" of Hives. It's doesn't really fit in with the Marine feel of the game, where you don't know the location of Aliens except for your minimap (and some info communicated to you by your comrades through the map).

-The UI is starting to get cluttered on the Marine side. You have objectives, objective arrows, health info, the large minimap, communication with your team, and many other items. I liked the UI back when it was very simple (ammo on your gun, health in bottom left, etc). It feels less like a Heads Up Display and more like Windows 98, where everything is vying for your attention.

-I LOVE the new Fullscreen Window mode. It makes it so much easier to play and switch to other things.

-I really like the look of the new menu; it works well.

-Suggestion: only jump into the loading screen after you check if the server is full. This is more of a programming thing, but it can get to be annoying when you try to join servers and have to wait 5+ seconds to be told you can't. The problem is very noticeable now that the game is more popular.

-Overall, a very good build, but there are a few additions that I don't like.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1960191:date=Aug 9 2012, 09:32 PM:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers @ Aug 9 2012, 09:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960191"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've already wrote about this in other topic, but this is the official discussion thread about the new build. So here it comes one last time:

- One key feature of natural selection was to explore the map and now you are showing where the CCs/hives are. I have no fun if I see the hives and CCs and I don't think that you should make it like that, now its only about rush the base.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You've written about this numerous times but you never actually bothered to verify that it's true. CCs/Hives don't show up until someone finds them.
  • afx333afx333 Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155203Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited August 2012
    very new player here :)

those video tutorials dont do anything in the training menu.

main menu.
    what are those icons and roman numerals under my steam name&above play button.

i will now play the new build. :)

edit:

server browser.
    can a double click please join the game.
  • botchiballbotchiball Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15810Members, Constellation
    "Removed Hive Sight." -What? This is (was) one of my favorite features of NS2.

"Fixed bug where losing the crag hive would prevent you from evolving the specific upgrades, even with the upgrade structures alive." - This is a bug? I thought this was intentional: no Crag Hive, no Crag upgrades. Isn't that the way its always been? So now it is beneficial to lose a hive and build another different type?

"The MAC will now auto-weld Marine armor when they are near a Marine." - This is awesome, but bringing the Armory's welding back as well may be overkill. We need to see more MACs, been a while since I've seen them. Drifters too for that matter.
  • {GGs} Chicken{GGs} Chicken Join Date: 2011-11-22 Member: 134663Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1960183:date=Aug 9 2012, 07:24 PM:name=MurphyIdiot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MurphyIdiot @ Aug 9 2012, 07:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960183"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"which sucks because I have it open allll the time." <- Having to have it open all the time is what sucks. We want you to be able to play the game without a map open at all. But when you do want to open the map, we want it to be easy to read. Like much of what we do, this is a change that will take a few more patches to appreciate.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It doesn't really suck considering how much information the map gives you at all times.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The motive to implement Parasite like that was that new players do not understand what Parasite does. This makes it more obvious. More changes are coming to parasite very soon that will clean it up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Highlighting a marine green(or another type of graphic) doesn't really make it obvious to what it does either(See them on map + 2bite for armor 0)

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Keeping 2nd/3rd hive upgrades if you don't die. Why lesson the punish for losing something so crucial to your team?"
    Because it is not fun to suddenly lose a weapon/ability that you think you have. We like fun things. Also, it is now a lot more important to keep a Fade that has Blink when you have lost your second Hive. This happened in a game yesterday and it was really neat.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Downplays taking a crucial structure out, and that's a problem with the Fade, who should have blink and shadow step swapped, and take out 2x jump.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And finally, making a game better does not automatically mean we are dumbing it down.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can also say dumbing a game down doesn't automatically make it better.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    why isnt para permanent anymore?
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    Just reading the patch notes...
    <ul><li>Armories heal armor. Armories now take "energy"...</li></ul>Nice too see energy is back *trollface*<ul><li>Reduced mature cyst health from 650 to 550.</li></ul>I was surprised to see that. I didn't think cyst health was a problem now with welders being so effective and many marines carrying welders around nowadays... Also, a ~20% change is fairly drastic :/<ul><li>Welder is now also constructing during welding, to prevent confusion (same rate as builder).</li></ul>I'd suggest undoing that change, or the confusion might carry over to thinking you <i>need</i> a welder to construct buildings. Better for people to learn that it's a different tool.<ul><li>Fixed ARC attack timing being inconsistent.</li></ul>Thank you! <3<ul><li>Fixed hitching the first time a model is seen.</li></ul>Wow, that's excellent! Also sounds like a lot of good stuff in the optimisation section, but I'll have to wait until I've tried the build for those.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    Just take out shadow step. Please take it out already. Just give fades blink as a base and bring back mantis strike (focus equivalent) or something.
  • jeffcojeffco Join Date: 2011-02-14 Member: 81785Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960183:date=Aug 10 2012, 04:24 AM:name=MurphyIdiot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MurphyIdiot @ Aug 10 2012, 04:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960183"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"which sucks because I have it open allll the time." <- Having to have it open all the time is what sucks. We want you to be able to play the game without a map open at all. But when you do want to open the map, we want it to be easy to read. Like much of what we do, this is a change that will take a few more patches to appreciate.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Are you serious? You cannot play chess without observing your opponent's moves. Instead of separating the game world and overview map add some newbie hints like "press c to see whats going on". I would really appreciate if we could keep the map open all the time. Right now it is a bit hard to fly as a lerk while spamming the c key. (You have to do this if you want to play effective in public games and i am sure this cannot be changed without ruining the game.)
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960218:date=Aug 10 2012, 01:09 PM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ Aug 10 2012, 01:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960218"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just take out shadow step. Please take it out already. Just give fades blink as a base and bring back mantis strike (focus equivalent) or something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    acid rocket ftw! :)
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I need to play more before I give solid feedback for this patch but I do have this one thing to say just from the few games I have played already:

The parasite change was completely unnecessary and confusing. It further invalidates the late game skulk viability and removes one of the cooler dynamics of early game. Now it's pretty much completely useless, I can only see it being useful when used in the early game to 2 bite a0 marines.

Why butcher parasite? I've never heard a single person complain about it, and it felt pretty much perfect last patch when only armories could remove it.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Playing NS without using the map? No such thing.
  • GodofThunderGodofThunder Join Date: 2011-12-13 Member: 137815Members
    <i>•Added energy cost to belly slide</i>

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA........................WAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Why? Seriously why?
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1960216:date=Aug 9 2012, 10:06 PM:name=Khyron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Khyron @ Aug 9 2012, 10:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960216"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><ul><li>Welder is now also constructing during welding, to prevent confusion (same rate as builder).</li></ul>I'd suggest undoing that change, or the confusion might carry over to thinking you <i>need</i> a welder to construct buildings. Better for people to learn that it's a different tool.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Building and parasite can't take more then like 30-60 seconds for a new player to figure out anyways, these changes are addressing a largely made up problem IMO.
  • spaceturtlespaceturtle Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154714Members
    It's still logical imo that the welder would build things. Seems fine to keep it.
  • Bloodshot12Bloodshot12 Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152578Members
    I was playing docking before I saw the changelog and I heard the NS1 tooltip sound and it put a huge smile on my face.

You guys should just have that in the RR sometimes too.
  • botchiballbotchiball Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15810Members, Constellation
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1960234:date=Aug 9 2012, 11:26 PM:name=GodofThunder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GodofThunder @ Aug 9 2012, 11:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960234"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><i>•Added energy cost to belly slide</i> HAHA........................WAHA Why? Seriously why?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1. What happened to the Gorge? I thought it was bad before, but now the Gorge is twice as bad.

-Slower Healing
    -Slower Building
    -Run out of Energy much quicker while Healspraying
    -Added Energy to get away from combat with Belly Slide, energy which I don't have now as per the above
    -Kept Delay between uses of Belly Slide

Why would anyone want to play the Gorge anymore? The Healspray change was to force multiple players to go Gorge to build something? What ever happened to Gorge as a class on its own? Its not a welder to be picked up and used, its a class that should have a worthwhile application the entire game..

I'm ranting and I know it.. and I'm sorry. Doesn't change the facts.

<!--quoteo(post=1960253:date=Aug 9 2012, 11:39 PM:name=BloodyIron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BloodyIron @ Aug 9 2012, 11:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960253"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Undocumented change: You cannot get cara and regen at the same time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, only one upgrade per hive.. I would assume per hive type as well (so two Crag Hives means two Crag upgrades). Seems like an unnecessary and unproductive change.

Think the Parasite changes are pretty unnecessary and unproductive as well.
    @botchiball

Wait till hydras cost p.res again for even more uselessness.

I assume gorges were butchered because marines were crying about how they couldn't solo kill a hive with a gorge healing it last patch.
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1960258:date=Aug 9 2012, 11:44 PM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ Aug 9 2012, 11:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960258"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@botchiball

I assume gorges were butchered because marines were crying about how they couldn't solo kill a hive with a gorge healing it last patch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sam...

Put the cube in my chest...
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1960156:date=Aug 9 2012, 08:50 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Aug 9 2012, 08:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960156"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Playtest fun with flying marines vs Onos <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRTm0x4sxG0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRTm0x4sxG0</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This reminds me, almost 1/4 of the onos energy bar is obscured by the <a href="http://i.imgur.com/B34Zk.jpg" target="_blank">waving ghost with a sideways face</a>. If the circle bar was a different shade of yellow and overlayed on top of the waving ghost then you would be able to see your energy state all the time.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1960258:date=Aug 9 2012, 11:44 PM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ Aug 9 2012, 11:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960258"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@botchiball

I assume gorges were butchered because marines were crying about how they couldn't solo kill a hive with a gorge healing it last patch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Perhaps gorges were toned down because they could block off a hallway from 4 marines via clogs and hydras?

Just a thought.
    <!--quoteo(post=1960264:date=Aug 9 2012, 11:49 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Aug 9 2012, 11:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960264"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Perhaps gorges were toned down because they could block off a hallway from 4 marines via clogs and hydras?

Just a thought.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=119451" target="_blank">Just a thought, remove a Hydra's ability to lock down anything. Promote its ability to provide a benefit for the team.</a>
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1960257:date=Aug 9 2012, 08:42 PM:name=botchiball)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (botchiball @ Aug 9 2012, 08:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960257"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, only one upgrade per hive.. I would assume per hive type as well (so two Crag Hives means two Crag upgrades). Seems like an unnecessary and unproductive change.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You cannot have more than 1 type of hive (cant have 2 crag hives etc). This change was actually extremely necessary as 2hive aliens just exploded with map control before when you had leap+cara+regen skulks that could be everywhere and maintain permanent map presence- which is why/when you generally saw marines just lose the game at this point.

Cara+Regen was waaaay too good and gave aliens a huge amount of potential map dominance. The way I see it you now have a lot more freedom because you can actually <i>use </i>the other shift/shade upgrades instead of grabbing them as a 3rd upgrade as most people do- you will see them used in the early/mid game much more now.
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1960264:date=Aug 9 2012, 11:49 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Aug 9 2012, 11:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960264"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Perhaps gorges were toned down because they could block off a hallway from 4 marines via clogs and hydras?

You gave a gorge enough time to set up clogs and hydras?

You can't kill the gorge with 4 marines?

Hmm...

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The way I see it you now have <b>a lot more freedom </b>because you can actually <i>use </i>the other shift/shade upgrades instead of grabbing them as a 3rd upgrade as most people do- you will see them used in the early/mid game much more now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I laughed.
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1960266:date=Aug 9 2012, 11:52 PM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Aug 9 2012, 11:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960266"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cara+Regen was waaaay too good and gave aliens a huge amount of potential map dominance. The way I see it you now have a lot more freedom because you can actually <i>use </i>the other shift/shade upgrades instead of grabbing them as a 3rd upgrade as most people do- you will see them used in the early/mid game much more now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    *Shrug* I guess if it was really necessary then its necessary, personally I think number tweaking Cara+Regen would be a better idea.. but not like it hasn't been tried. Confusing that it wasn't in the notes though.

Another unmentioned "Fix" was that say you evolve Carapace, then Regen, you cannot evolve Cara again - its simply missing, not grayed out.

@MisterNubs: Its when you have 5 Gorges do a Gorge Rush in and take over an area. I've never tried it/seen it, but apparently its incredibly powerful. Personally I think there could be a better fix then gutting the Gorge.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    A small window explaining what the video/game settings affect would be nice.

And no, I still don't know how raw input changes anything and whether or not I should have it on or off.

I did find energy cost to belly slide a bit questionable. Is the Gorge not using momentum and gravity as the driving force for the slide?
  • GodofThunderGodofThunder Join Date: 2011-12-13 Member: 137815Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960255:date=Aug 10 2012, 03:41 PM:name=botchiball)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (botchiball @ Aug 10 2012, 03:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960255"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1. What happened to the Gorge? I thought it was bad before, but now the Gorge is twice as bad.

-Slower Healing
    -Slower Building
    -Run out of Energy much quicker while Healspraying
    -Added Energy to get away from combat with Belly Slide, energy which I don't have now as per the above
    -Kept Delay between uses of Belly Slide

Why would anyone want to play the Gorge anymore? The Healspray change was to force multiple players to go Gorge to build something? What ever happened to Gorge as a class on its own? Its not a welder to be picked up and used, its a class that should have a worthwhile application the entire game..

I'm ranting and I know it.. and I'm sorry. Doesn't change the facts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1960258:date=Aug 10 2012, 03:44 PM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ Aug 10 2012, 03:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960258"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@botchiball

<!--quoteo(post=1960264:date=Aug 10 2012, 03:49 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Aug 10 2012, 03:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960264"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Perhaps gorges were toned down because they could block off a hallway from 4 marines via clogs and hydras?

But why give belly slide an energy cost??????? Thats like making marine not be able to shoot for 3 seconds after running cause they ran out of breath. It....... just.......... doesn't................ WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1960266:date=Aug 10 2012, 02:52 PM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Aug 10 2012, 02:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960266"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You cannot have more than 1 type of hive (cant have 2 crag hives etc). This change was actually extremely necessary as 2hive aliens just exploded with map control before when you had leap+cara+regen skulks that could be everywhere and maintain permanent map presence- which is why/when you generally saw marines just lose the game at this point.

Cara+Regen was waaaay too good and gave aliens a huge amount of potential map dominance. The way I see it you now have a lot more freedom because you can actually <i>use </i>the other shift/shade upgrades instead of grabbing them as a 3rd upgrade as most people do- you will see them used in the early/mid game much more now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sorry I disagree if aliens have gotten second hive then they should be able to evolve a second ability (be it cara and regen or cara and silence etc.)

To be obtuse I could easily say marines having armour and weapons upgrades makes them way OP'd..they should have to chose one or the other.
    Marines with Jp's shouldn't get armour upgrades as they are hard enough to kill with the JP and a SG.
    Do you see how silly it sounds coming from the other side of the game?

So far the change log and game play has been disappointing for me.
  • CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
    edited August 2012
    Great build guys!! I just came back from my last 2 long games, first one as Aliens and we almost lost hard but we caught up and dominated after the new comm got out to let shigga in!! That game lasted exactly 1 hour. My last match played marines and we pushed ftw!!

One thing needs addressing is the players who leave the server because they're losing. At least let them know it's bad sportsmanship. Put up a warning window before they switch servers letting them know it's not nice to leave a game before it's over. No real consequences though, let us have the freedom to do what we want. Anyways, I never leave a game unless my teammates are griefers.

I kept raging hard dying to spikes when I'm trying to run away until I got my first JP and I started hitting Lerks back!! I love this balance now!!
  • RiseRise Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150595Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960167:date=Aug 9 2012, 06:09 PM:name=RMJ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RMJ @ Aug 9 2012, 06:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960167"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Could you please make the menu music continue to play while loading, its so awesome, and i rather listen to it alittle longer, than an loading screen without music.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I felt the same way