Build 216 Discussion

2»

Comments

• peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    The phrase 'the consumer is always right' means the seller should listen to the consumer and never dismiss the comments. It doesn't literally mean the customers comments are sound.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1960096:date=Aug 10 2012, 02:03 AM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Aug 10 2012, 02:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960096"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Look for this in 217 next week.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats not a long wait then. Can we expect exo's
  • Risky SalmonRisky Salmon Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67680Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1960012:date=Aug 10 2012, 12:05 PM:name=LXJ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LXJ @ Aug 10 2012, 12:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960012"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cory. When will you start listening to the community. As I posted in the other forum: the consumer is always right.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For someone who just registered today, I find it very hard to take you seriously...
    I would hate to think what the game would turn out if your 'customer is always right' mentality was taken on board, this isn't some sandbox to throw all your most wanted features/requests in, as a lot of people around here seem to be thinking.
  • LXJLXJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155188Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1960134:date=Aug 9 2012, 05:34 PM:name=Risky Salmon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Risky Salmon @ Aug 9 2012, 05:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960134"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For someone who just registered today, I find it very hard to take you seriously...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's ok, everyone would be thinking the same.

I've been playing NS since it's first release in 2002, and have been playing NS2 since the pre-alpha stages. And the reason I had not registered on the forums as, I had no need to. The game was in early development, there was going to be lots of changes, experimenting etc.

I've actually been happy with everything so far, except the poor optimisation which in due course should improve (that's another discussion, the performance doesn't feel 'right').
    This patch however, is a big 'WHY'. Progress bars don't suit NS, I'm sorry it doesn't fit, neither does the constant see through hive/cc.

I'll be very disappointed if those features stay, and will be the time in history where I look back and say this is where NS went downhill/has never been the same.
  • CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
    This is PC gaming baby! We need our options, so you can keep all the UI stuff, just give us options to tick them on/off.

Also a tick option to remove the Kill feeds, please, they're distracting in a certain way. Even a tick option to remove the info screen when I die. Thanks guys!!
  • Risky SalmonRisky Salmon Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67680Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960144:date=Aug 10 2012, 01:43 PM:name=LXJ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LXJ @ Aug 10 2012, 01:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960144"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's ok, everyone would be thinking the same.

I've been playing NS since it's first release in 2002, and have been playing NS2 since the pre-alpha stages. And the reason I had not registered on the forums as, I had no need to. The game was in early development, there was going to be lots of changes, experimenting etc.

I've actually been happy with everything so far, except the poor optimisation which in due course should improve (that's another discussion, the performance doesn't feel 'right').
    This patch however, is a big 'WHY'. Progress bars don't suit NS, I'm sorry it doesn't fit, neither does the constant see through hive/cc.

I'll be very disappointed if those features stay, and will be the time in history where I look back and say this is where NS went downhill/has never been the same.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It'll get there, if not, then through some mod.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    Marine gameplay has devolved into rush rush rush.

Mindlessly charge and deny them of resource towers because infant extractors piss easy to kill solo. Blindly run into hives and kill upgrades because they take no time to kill.

Dying means nothing because you'll be back up and running in 6 seconds. Speaking of running, you'll be right back to where you were with sprint.

Once Marines learned of this new and excited strategy, thanks to highlighting hives to boot, it was easy win after easy win for marines.
  • YashokiYashoki Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59256Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=0:date=Aug 10 2012, 02:14 AM:name=Industry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Industry @ Aug 10 2012, 02:14 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Eh, I can't really remember being locked into DC first in NS1. Generally it was Movement first, Defense Second, Followed by Sensory for most pubs. Otherwise it was Sensory, Defense, Movement or Defense grabbed third. If my memory is serving me correctly leading with DC was not really all that good. Been a while though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe you got lucky then, because most of the games I played there was a definite build order. Movement Chamber, Defense, then Sensory if you ever got around to putting up the third hive. But lets be honest, the early game is about two things 1) Expanding quickly and grabbing as many resource nodes/Tech points, and 2) Getting ahead of the other team in tech which usually involves carapace/armor 1.

I'm not saying that all games are like this, but the majority I've played have been about taking as many bullets/bites so that we can outlast the enemy and win. I'm just not happy that even though we have the choice, I still see many games start up as carapace. This is more of an alien issue than anything. I feel like the marines are able to tech up faster since they're only really held back by the res they have. There have been games where I've plum forgot about the extra tech points and we still ended up winning.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=Aug 10 2012, 02:14 AM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ Aug 10 2012, 02:14 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Marine gameplay has devolved into rush rush rush.

Mindlessly charge and deny them of resource towers because infant extractors piss easy to kill solo. Blindly run into hives and kill upgrades because they take no time to kill.

Dying means nothing because you'll be back up and running in 6 seconds. Speaking of running, you'll be right back to where you were with sprint.

Once Marines learned of this new and excited strategy, thanks to highlighting hives to boot, it was easy win after easy win for marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This was happening before the patch, though. I was playing a game where the marines found out that the alien hive had spawned to the closest spawn and just rushed. It seems like sometime's you can get slapped upside the face with a bad spawn. It wouldn't be bad but it feels like one side always just ends up beaking and then you have people camping spawns and it's game over in a few minutes.

This is a hard to fix issue since I like the idea of randomized spawns, but it can make things unfair.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1960021:date=Aug 10 2012, 10:10 AM:name=weezl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weezl @ Aug 10 2012, 10:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960021"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The rest? Are you kidding? The rings in the base of structures are 100 times better than a white bar, in the middle of vision, obstructing everything.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've always hated the rings, you can never see the entire thing because it's blocked by the building, and skewed by whatever angle you're looking at it from.
  • TwigsTwigs Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155195Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960067:date=Aug 10 2012, 02:41 AM:name=Syknik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Syknik @ Aug 10 2012, 02:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960067"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They really need to stop so much focus on the 'new' players. Let there be a bit of a learning curve and a bit of difficulty to the game, hell maybe then they'll gain some common sense and some type of brain function.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This so much. The thing is the new red " GO HERE NEW PLAYER " is such an enormous step back, it doesn't encourage them to talk anymore using the voip or the chat which they should be using.
    What I've found is that most new players have little to no issue learning the game as it was prior to 216, you just had to talk to them and guide em through it which is how it should be. Sure having the cc/hive glow red like a neonsign is great and all but it does , as a lot of people has pointed out, ###### all over the gameplay as it takes away the exploration factor but first and foremost takes away a very important factor: Communication. You should have your commander/marines/aliens TALK either via voip or chat and tell the team where said cc/hive is and make it more about teamwork instead of being the first one to rush the other team to have the red shiny there to guide you.

On a side note I do like the changes made to the fade as that was more than welcome, though the armory buff was kinda weaksauce as it aswell takes away the need for teamwork-welding.

I love NS2 and played ns 1 like a madcat, this build though threw me off, I see that you need to cater to new players but please let them do some digging themselves, let there be a learning curv and not have it be like COD where its just shoot at the shinys. Might aswell also point out that I do love the new way upgrades for aliens are handled but that it infact is restricting gameplay in a really bad way, as it makes pretty much all the routes just narrow into one, Carapace, adrenaline/celerity, cloak/feign death which kinda defeats the point of having all those upgrades to chose from to start with which in terms makes all the programming you guys did rendered obsolete.

These were my two cents atleast, thanks for a great game and I do really hope you can listen to the player base on this one and not make it Call of Selection 2 or Natural shiny.

Edit: Posted in the other thread was told to post in this instead. Just copypasted.

Twigs
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    I don't think the CC/Hive display is intended as a "GO HERE ATTACK THIS" indicator so much as a feature to help players orient themselves and know roughly where the enemy is. Getting lost is a very big problem for new players in both NS1 and NS2, even with the map. Unfortunately the current indicator is just too ugly and doesn't even convey distance properly.

If it could be made sufficiently subtle, I think it would make sense to show friendly CCs/Hives as well. But only if it's way way less in-your-face than currently.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960190:date=Aug 9 2012, 10:30 PM:name=Yashoki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yashoki @ Aug 9 2012, 10:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960190"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This was happening before the patch, though. I was playing a game where the marines found out that the alien hive had spawned to the closest spawn and just rushed. It seems like sometime's you can get slapped upside the face with a bad spawn. It wouldn't be bad but it feels like one side always just ends up beaking and then you have people camping spawns and it's game over in a few minutes.

This is a hard to fix issue since I like the idea of randomized spawns, but it can make things unfair.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I enjoy randomized spawns too.

The problem is ###### resource node locations and alien structures starting out with very little hp that encourages mindless rushing.

And that's all we did, and it worked. I think it's even more apparent now because of the big, shiny red symbol that attracts newbs to the hive like moths to a flame.

Aliens are having to play super defensive which is an instant lose for them since marines win in the tech department.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1960210:date=Aug 10 2012, 12:54 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Aug 10 2012, 12:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960210"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think the CC/Hive display is intended as a "GO HERE ATTACK THIS" indicator so much as a feature to help players orient themselves and know roughly where the enemy is. Getting lost is a very big problem for new players in both NS1 and NS2, even with the map. Unfortunately the current indicator is just too ugly and doesn't even convey distance properly.

If it could be made sufficiently subtle, I think it would make sense to show friendly CCs/Hives as well. But only if it's way way less in-your-face than currently.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's what the map is for, and it's very good at displaying distance and assisting navigation.

Hive blips don't show you where the enemy is, it shows where their hive is, and it's not going anywhere. The enemy is more likely off chewing on your extractor, which you will need if you want to go eventually kill their hive.

Command Station blips overlap too much with what it seemed like the end goal for parasite with hive sight should be.
  • Firepower01Firepower01 Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154658Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960151:date=Aug 9 2012, 09:49 PM:name=CobraCommander)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CobraCommander @ Aug 9 2012, 09:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960151"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is PC gaming baby! We need our options, so you can keep all the UI stuff, just give us options to tick them on/off.

Also a tick option to remove the Kill feeds, please, they're distracting in a certain way. Even a tick option to remove the info screen when I die. Thanks guys!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pretty much this yeah
  • m42m42 Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147923Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960210:date=Aug 9 2012, 07:54 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Aug 9 2012, 07:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960210"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->. Getting lost is a very big problem for new players in both NS1 and NS2, even with the map.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is a problem with every FPS you pick up for the first time. How did people overcome this obstacle in CS? They didn't add indicators everywhere to show "this is where you bomb bombsite b". People through repetition learned to play the map, how to buy guns, what they cost. After playing for many hours you learned what is "catwalk", "mid", back-alley on train, 5 train, and basically where to go. These things develop on their own. You don't need to create visuals that mainly obscure the field of vision. I played for a few minutes and left because of how much they were in the way.

It's not only in the way, but it feels cheap and dumbed down. Why not start putting indicators on everything else? Sure the command chair or hive is important, but the resource nodes are just as if not more important. Should those have an indicator as well? As a personal preference, the only thing I want directly on my screen is my heath, ammo, and maybe some directional indicators of where the commander would like me to go. Everything else tends to remove the communication value. Why the need for communication when everything can be done via HUD. All these informational cues via indicators only removes or hides the information most useful to me; the environment and opposing playing coming to kill me.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1960213:date=Aug 9 2012, 10:03 PM:name=Arkanti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti @ Aug 9 2012, 10:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960213"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's what the map is for, and it's very good at displaying distance and assisting navigation.

Hive blips don't show you where the enemy is, it shows where their hive is, and it's not going anywhere. The enemy is more likely off chewing on your extractor, which you will need if you want to go eventually kill their hive.

Command Station blips overlap too much with what it seemed like the end goal for parasite with hive sight should be.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Navigating a completely unfamiliar NS2 map with an actual full-sized map in your face while you run is a much more difficult skill to pick up than NS vets might realize. The hive icon provides an anchor on your screen that helps put the map into perspective. Have you never seen a marine team be told to do a shotty rush on the nearest hive, and blunder around taking wrong turns while they're all obviously looking intently at their map? It also provides a lot of information very quickly and intuitively - that's the enemy base of operations, opposition is likely to be densest there, maybe I should go the other way so we can expand more safely, etc...
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1960231:date=Aug 10 2012, 01:23 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Aug 10 2012, 01:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960231"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Navigating a completely unfamiliar NS2 map with an actual full-sized map in your face while you run is a much more difficult skill to pick up than NS vets might realize.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I wasn't born an NS vet, I never touched the original until recently, long after I started NS2 in alpha. Learning how to read a map however is not a skill people stumble upon for the first time in their life with this game specifically, you can decipher your route and close it then run. I have loved the learning experience of memorising the nooks and crannys of the maps as they have been released and updated through hours of repetition in playtime, not that this change will remove that gestation period for new players.

<!--quoteo(post=1960231:date=Aug 10 2012, 01:23 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Aug 10 2012, 01:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960231"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The hive icon provides an anchor on your screen that helps put the map into perspective. Have you never seen a marine team be told to do a shotty rush on the nearest hive, and blunder around taking wrong turns while they're all obviously looking intently at their map?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The blips show only the destination, not how to get there, new players will still need to heavily reference their map to find a suitable path. The other problem being that the hive icon will show through the entire game, not when you actually want your ground soldiers to attack it(and what if there are two hives, how will referencing those multiple indistinguishable blips help with directing your team?). The shift+click ping serves the same amount of functionality you're asking for here though when it's actually required.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    the hive icons are completely unnecessary and the stated goal of giving people ways of orienting themselves doesn't even make sense given that map layouts could mean that the path to a hive room doesn't coincide with moving towards the HUD icon.
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I played a bunch of rounds tonight and I am really liking the new patch so far. I can't wait to dig into it some more tomorrow night. Maybe even a bit during lunch break at work.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I can't comment on performance anymore until I know for certain I can kill, let alone aim at skulks late-game with a playable frame-rate.

Playing as marines for me all boils down to frame rate.
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1960267:date=Aug 9 2012, 10:52 PM:name=Daphisto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daphisto @ Aug 9 2012, 10:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960267"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I played a bunch of rounds tonight and I am really liking the new patch so far. I can't wait to dig into it some more tomorrow night. Maybe even a bit during lunch break at work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

I like this patch. Great job UWE. It isn't perfect, obviously, but it is a really nice patch overall!

Cheers,
    Cody
  • shad3rshad3r Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73273Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960093:date=Aug 10 2012, 11:02 AM:name=Industry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Industry @ Aug 10 2012, 11:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960093"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Eh, I can't really remember being locked into DC first in NS1. Generally it was Movement first, Defense Second, Followed by Sensory for most pubs. Otherwise it was Sensory, Defense, Movement or Defense grabbed third. If my memory is serving me correctly leading with DC was not really all that good. Been a while though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

During 1.03 and 1.04, every game I played was DC, MC, SC in that order (this was on australian servers). I saw a really good clan go MC first once just to show off. This was considered to be a fairly radical move.

<!--quoteo(post=1960060:date=Aug 10 2012, 10:34 AM:name=Chicken of War)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chicken of War @ Aug 10 2012, 10:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960060"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What were your thoughts behind only letting aliens have one class of upgrade at any one time? This is extremely detrimental to late game lerk as now I get to choose between being useless (getting regen and getting one shotted by a shotgun) and being next to useless (getting cara and having to return to the hive to heal after a few seconds of combat).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It does not take long to do a roundtrip to the nearest hive to heal as a lerk.
  • TquilaTquila Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70738Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited August 2012
    Wrong place I guess :I
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1960321:date=Aug 10 2012, 02:21 AM:name=shad3r)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shad3r @ Aug 10 2012, 02:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960321"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It does not take long to do a roundtrip to the nearest hive to heal as a lerk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

no, but it takes much longer than healing from regen. also regen starts almost immediately after you leave combat so there's no risk of running into a random marine on your retreat path and having 30 health.