Khammander free lifeformegg-system SU**S!

Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
edited August 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
I want to give a free lifeform to a person I have choosed.

Or:

Just make free eggs useable by a player who clicks on them .

NO MORE FREE LIFEFORMS ON RESPAWN!

Some annoying examples:

1. I dislike playing a gorge and hate it so much if i spawn as a gorge -_-.

2. A new player without any plan of the game gets the fade-egg.

3. The Khammander gets the fade/onos egg o_O (happend to me when i tried to defend upgrades in hive and die)

4. The Khammander want to give a gorgeegg to the awesome gorgeplayer who died , but another player was faster or just spawn into this egg.

Comments

• ArcL!ghtArcL!ght Join Date: 2007-11-27 Member: 63031Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    I agree, there should be some way of choosing who gets the egg.

Even in competetive play if you ask me, sometimes you really want to give egg to specific person cause you know he is a good lerk/fade/onos.

So do put in some method of evolve egg > select nicknames or something who can spawn with it or something.
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    I think this is just a communication issue. I only spawn higher lifeform eggs when someone asks - so I will usually say, "Hey, I have 50 personal res, does anyone want a Fade egg?" Or ask a specific player with a good k/d ratio if they would like a specific egg. Then find out what hive they are next to, coordinate with them, and drop the upgrade next to the egg closest to them.

If you don't like playing gorge and you spawn as such, just evolve back to a skulk. It's free.
  • cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1957581:date=Aug 5 2012, 08:13 AM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Aug 5 2012, 08:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957581"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think this is just a communication issue.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, it's a bad design issue.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    Maybe it could work like this:

<ul><li>Instead of researching an alien class on an egg, you can place evolved eggs near a hive.</li><li>Once placed they "grow" or rather do the current research thing, so marines can't see which eggs are indeed the expensive ones.</li><li>Have these evolved eggs excluded from he respawn cycle.</li></ul>
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Kouji's got it. If the eggs looked different as well, it would be a bit more risky to give out "free" lifeforms.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    This is largely the reason I don't drop higher lifeform eggs unless someone specifically requests it. Better to reach the 100 PRes limit so your extra res spills over to other players so they can choose what lifeforms they want.

Would work better if you could specify the player, rather than the egg, that gets your higher lifeform.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would work better if you could specify the player, rather than the egg, that gets your higher lifeform.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But if they don't die for a long time, or evolve their own higher life form, then you have essentially tied up all your P-Res for someone who won't end up using it.

I like the system as is, and I don't consider it bad design just because one person thinks so...
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1957581:date=Aug 5 2012, 09:13 AM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Aug 5 2012, 09:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957581"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think this is just a communication issue. I only spawn higher lifeform eggs when someone asks - so I will usually say, "Hey, I have 50 personal res, does anyone want a Fade egg?" Or ask a specific player with a good k/d ratio if they would like a specific egg. Then find out what hive they are next to, coordinate with them, and drop the upgrade next to the egg closest to them.

If you don't like playing gorge and you spawn as such, just evolve back to a skulk. It's free.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And lose the comms 10 res? I think it would be simpler to implement some sort of menu. At least for the players.

<!--quoteo(post=1957794:date=Aug 5 2012, 03:44 PM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Aug 5 2012, 03:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957794"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But if they don't die for a long time, or evolve their own higher life form, then you have essentially tied up all your P-Res for someone who won't end up using it.

I like the system as is, and I don't consider it bad design just because one person thinks so...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And others dont consider it good design just because you think so.

The issue now is not that you have to coordinate but that coordinating is complicated and there still is a chance someone will spawn in the egg before the chosen player gets it. Besides I somehow doubt that a player who has a fade egg waiting for them will keep playing a skulk.

Or what kouji said, that would be simpler from the devs point of view than redesigning the system to be based on players rather than eggs.
    You're not losing 10 res, the khammander is.

I think it should stay the way it is, in the same way that the marine commander must be hands-on in dropping meds and ammo on units - it encourages coordination and communication between the khammander and the player.

Once you get the hang of khammanding, it is very straightforward to locate the player requesting the lifeform (if they're helping, they are already standing next to an egg) and then transform the egg. The only way that could get messed up is if a newly-spawning alien was directed to the new egg, but I am not sure how you can prevent that.
  • DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
    +1 this doesn't need to be in the game. The spawning player usually has no idea when it's coming, and no desire for it to happen at all. I honestly don't see why commanders need Pres at all.
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    edited August 2012
    lol. OK. Just make medpack/ammo drops also randomly into the map. Maybe the guy u focused get the medpack ...maybe this medpack landed 100 meters away on another marine.

"Control".pffff. Who need this :>.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1957904:date=Aug 5 2012, 10:59 PM:name=Mr.Greedy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr.Greedy @ Aug 5 2012, 10:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957904"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lol. OK. Just make medpack/ammo drops also randomly into the map. Maybe the guy u focused get the medpack ...maybe this medpack landed 100 meters away on another marine.

"Control".pffff. Who need this :>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    "Your commander is dropping you Medpacks and Ammo, do you accept? (Y/N)"
  • botchiballbotchiball Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15810Members, Constellation
    I thought the bought eggs were already removed from the spawn cycle, agree that they should be. Other than that I think the system works fine.
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    I think that anybody should be able to +use an egg and use their resources to spawn a gorge/lerk/fade/onos egg. And then anybody else should be able to +use the egg and become said lifeform. I don't know why this would be restricted to the commander. It's dumb if a non-commander wants to spawn a fade egg, and then has to get into the hive to do it. Why not just cut out the middle man? Sure the commander should be able to do it <i>too</i>, but only the commander? I mean, think about it; the marine can buy a shotgun, and then drop it for somebody else. Why not aliens with their lifeforms?
  • ZxaberZxaber Join Date: 2010-07-29 Member: 73315Members
    This might be better posted in the 'its been done better' thread, but in SW Battlefront 2, whenever a special hero unit is available, like Darth Vader, the game will pick a player and ask them if they want to play as it. If not, the game moves on to another. Perhaps a similar system could be, when respawning, have text to say 'press R to spawn from Onos egg'? If ignored, the player would simply spawn as a skulk.

Not sure what the outcome of multiple evolved eggs should be. The only choices I can think of are; In order of drop , in reverse order of drop, in order of cost (Onos before Fade before Lerk before Gorge), or some menu system. To be honest, that last one sounds like too much work to go through just to spawn. Any of the other three would likely be fine, since multiple eggs aren't common anyway.

None of this would solve the issue with giving a particular player a particular lifeform, but that can be done already by telling the player to go to a specific egg beforehand.
  • plausiblesargeplausiblesarge Join Date: 2012-08-02 Member: 154558Members
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    I personally keep failing at getting "pick which egg you want to spawn in" to work between the short time the counter finishes and the egg pops. Text too bloody small and fast...
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1958450:date=Aug 7 2012, 12:08 AM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Aug 7 2012, 12:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1958450"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I personally keep failing at getting "pick which egg you want to spawn in" to work between the short time the counter finishes and the egg pops. Text too bloody small and fast...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed.
  • [HEI] Spade[HEI] Spade Join Date: 2012-04-28 Member: 151223Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1958450:date=Aug 7 2012, 06:08 AM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Aug 7 2012, 06:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1958450"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I personally keep failing at getting "pick which egg you want to spawn in" to work between the short time the counter finishes and the egg pops. Text too bloody small and fast...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, it is buggy and you can't swap to another egg anyway.

You <u>can</u> use E on an egg to use this lifeform! Tried it but i had to evolve from the start but it was free :)