Is perma-gorging viable?

EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
Some games I just like to derp around as a squidgy pig, blocking off corridors and throwing out heals for the more advances alien lifeforms... But something keeps nagging at me. And that's my accumulated pool of personal resources.

Is there absolutely nothing that I can spend these on while remaining as a gorge? Or are you required to switch up roles so as not to stunt your team's chances of winning?

If there is indeed nothing to spend them on, then might I suggest giving the gorge the ability to evolve an egg similar to how the commander can? That way you can continue being a lazy pig while your team does all the hard work. ;]

Comments

• rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited August 2012
    Once upon a time Hydras cost personal resources. This time was a pleasant one as they didn't suck and you felt sad when you lost one, and happy when you killed one.

anyway...

You can ask your commander to hop out and you hop in and drop a few higher lifeform eggs with your personal resources, then hop back out and carry on doing gorge things. That's about all you can do.
  • KrovakonKrovakon Join Date: 2012-05-20 Member: 152332Members
    edited August 2012
    When you hit 100 Res, anymore res that you'd get is spilt over to your team.

example: you have 4 members on your team and 3 harvesters.
    If you have 100PRES your teammates will instead of gaining 3 res a tick, gain 4 res a tick because yours is overflowing into theirs.

so i see no reason it's not viable. Although you might want to convince your commander to hop out of the hive for a second while you jump in and drop a fade/onos egg then go back to gorging.

Either way you're helping your team.

Edit: Ohai Rant.
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited August 2012
    Aye it did occur to me to ask the commander to hop out, but I think a less round-a-bout solution should be introduced before the game ships. :]

I can understand not wanting to include structures that cost personal resources by the way, in NS1 once you gorged you were pretty much stuck in that role. With the current NS2 model you can choose to support your team while you save for Fade/Onos, rather than harass the marines as a Skulk.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Its as viable as perma-any other class. Its not like if you never die as a lerk or fade you don't accumulate 100 PRes. I personally just let it spill over, so other players get the benefit while still retaining the flexibility of choosing the lifeforms they want.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    You better run piggy because I'll hunt you and make to spend 10 res to re-gorge again and again and again.
  • CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
    I thought I encountered a game changing bug when I spawned as an Onos!! I love playing as a gorge when I'm aliens so I'll make use of my res as rantology said.

I hope we see more variety of structures from the Gorge. I love my pet Gorgey :)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1957962:date=Aug 5 2012, 07:54 PM:name=CobraCommander)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CobraCommander @ Aug 5 2012, 07:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957962"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I thought I encountered a game changing bug when I spawned as an Onos!! I love playing as a gorge when I'm aliens so I'll make use of my res as rantology said.

I hope we see more variety of structures from the Gorge. I love my pet Gorgey :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you didn't read it above, that was not a bug. The commander can drop an onos egg.
    <!--quoteo(post=1957967:date=Aug 5 2012, 07:21 PM:name=james888)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (james888 @ Aug 5 2012, 07:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957967"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you didn't read it above, that was not a bug. The commander can drop an onos egg.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah rantology said that. Great idea since I love gorging all game when I'm aliens.
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    Perma gorges are extremely viable, if you have extra res, you can hop into the comm chair and drop a fade/onos egg for someone else to use.
  • cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
    No, it's not viable. From all I heard gorge is currently just a class to delay your fade/onos by 10 res. At least that's what I heard the devs say. Donating your res to someone else might be an option though.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    As others already said, there is no problem in having 100pres. Other team member get your overflowing res. The gorge is viable from start to end game. But could be so much more. The ability to temporary overheal other aliens (like the medic in TF2) would bring him near to the front lines and would encourage more teamplay between the aliens. A sort of teleporter (Schimmel made a working mod, it looked like a hole in the infestation.) the gorge can drop to assist aliens in movement would be cool too. Could be a very low health structure. But I'm dreaming...

Anyway. No problem in being gorge the whole round. You can do this but you don't have to, now with free hydras.
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I guess it depends alot on what is needed on your team, and what upgrades are available. If you sit in a corner of the map, watching your hydras, and no marines are near, it probably isn't viable, but if you stay on the frontlines supporting with your structures, your heals and bilebomb if available, then you are most likely very viable.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1958013:date=Aug 6 2012, 01:18 AM:name=crypt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (crypt @ Aug 6 2012, 01:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1958013"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, it's not viable. From all I heard gorge is currently just a class to delay your fade/onos by 10 res. At least that's what I heard the devs say. Donating your res to someone else might be an option though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not really, a good team can use a gorge to his max potential. Be it healing skulks in mid combat, early hydra walls and clogging for fast 2nd hive, or late game support on Fades/Onos with bile bomb. Not to mention speed building all the things.

I think he is viable. Just not in a pub, rambo setting.
  • cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1958029:date=Aug 6 2012, 04:28 AM:name=Locklear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Locklear @ Aug 6 2012, 04:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1958029"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not really, a good team can use a gorge to his max potential. Be it healing skulks in mid combat, early hydra walls and clogging for fast 2nd hive, or late game support on Fades/Onos with bile bomb. Not to mention speed building all the things.

I think he is viable. Just not in a pub, rambo setting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    A gorge certainly has it uses, I'm just saying that it is a better option to go fade/onos if you saved the res for it instead of staying gorge. After all, this is the reason hydras no longer cost pRes.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Which we have discused the hell out of but uwe is adamant.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    When you have 100 res any intelligent person rages a little inside.

When you get 50 go to comm drop egg or fade yourself if you for some reason are occupied wait for 75 and drop egg or go onos regardless of whats happening.

Amazing how people are trying to justify 25 wasted res or abundant 100 res for extraflow...
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    You're not taking enough risks. In early game, support attacking skulks. You'll get killed, you re-gorge. In late-game, suicide bilebombing is awesome. Marine response lagging 10 seconds means half their base is going down. Plus spending an eternity welding.

But, if you just wanna derp around like a lazy piggie should, just ask the comm to pop out for 10 seconds. Remember to tell him why, so he doesn't suspect you're gonna spend all his res dropping shells in frontlines.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Perma gorge is a good thing. You team will always need heals, You can speed structure growth the whole game and Frontlines are forever changing so you should move with it and replace you hydras and clogs.
  • H3lixH3lix Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154722Members, NS2 Map Tester
    as a perma-gorge myself, i would rather go comm for a sec drop an egg then relinquish comm and go back to gorging. i've no interest in lerk/fade/onos unless were pushing a heavily fortified base.
  • JwamJwam Join Date: 2012-08-01 Member: 154540Members
    As long as there are not already 4 gorges on the team, I think the gorge is the most effective perma-alien.

As said above, don't hesitate to jump on a hive and drop some eggs to support the team!
    <!--quoteo(post=1958298:date=Aug 6 2012, 01:23 PM:name=Jwam)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jwam @ Aug 6 2012, 01:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1958298"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As long as there are not already 4 gorges on the team, I think the gorge is the most effective perma-alien.

As said above, don't hesitate to jump on a hive and drop some eggs to support the team!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So I can jump into a hive that isn't the Comm's and lay some eggs and jump out?
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1958760:date=Aug 7 2012, 05:06 PM:name=CobraCommander)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CobraCommander @ Aug 7 2012, 05:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1958760"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So I can jump into a hive that isn't the Comm's and lay some eggs and jump out?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think you may need to request the Commander to jump out first, but I haven't tested this theory.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    I'm definitely thinking about keeping the 3-hydra limit, but having hydras still cost some res. I'm not wild about spending resources like this (need to make sure players understand that it's costing them, which is a new use-case) but I don't like the fact that it doesn't matter too much when a hydra dies either.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So would that account to a slight Buff then? becasue having them cost a bit of res would make them more valuble to the player and team.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited August 2012
    hmmm - this gives me an idea:

3 hydras and 10 clogs are always free

If you want more, you purchase them with your PRes - simple right? :) if the marines come in and destroy everything, then your first 3 hydras will still be free.

Same story for clogs. Just have a tool tip ony our crosshair that tells you its going to cost you.

also hmm well if your khammander is donig a good job he'll help you build your gorge castle with some whips, shades, crags etc and protect you a bit with those huge spike things too keep marines away.
    Then only the flamethrower and arcs are a real problem.

Then once bilebomb is up you can come out to play :)

actually - whatever happened to the gorge doing the crouch thingy to absorb damage? the animation is still there right? This would be great for having grenades bouce off you - or when you don't want to slide away because you are healing your buildings.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1958779:date=Aug 7 2012, 09:12 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Aug 7 2012, 09:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1958779"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm definitely thinking about keeping the 3-hydra limit, but having hydras still cost some res. I'm not wild about spending resources like this (need to make sure players understand that it's costing them, which is a new use-case) but I don't like the fact that it doesn't matter too much when a hydra dies either.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you want to make hydras cost resources again while still limiting them, then make gorges free or get rid of the limit.
  • wanniewannie Join Date: 2012-07-28 Member: 154405Members
    What about just putting a timer on hydras, this way they are free and not spammable :) I say 30 sec once you have use al 3 hydras.

I would like to see more cloggs, these are fun to play with :D
    <!--quoteo(post=1959047:date=Aug 8 2012, 02:09 AM:name=wannie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wannie @ Aug 8 2012, 02:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959047"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What about just putting a timer on hydras, this way they are free and not spammable :) I say 30 sec once you have use al 3 hydras.

I would like to see more cloggs, these are fun to play with :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Clogs are fine, just enough to block one area. I'd really like to see more structures from the Gorge. Limits are fine, just give me more nice things >)
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1958779:date=Aug 8 2012, 03:12 AM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Aug 8 2012, 03:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1958779"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm definitely thinking about keeping the 3-hydra limit, but having hydras still cost some res. I'm not wild about spending resources like this (need to make sure players understand that it's costing them, which is a new use-case) but I don't like the fact that it doesn't matter too much when a hydra dies either.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Than the gorge should be able to recycle its hydras to get the res back. Maybe even automatic when you place the 4th one. (btw. clogs need that automatic too)
    To teach the user that hydras are costing res now, you could just write it on the selection menu of the hydra.
    It also should be a small number of res. This way an economical gorge has still the chance to evolve to another life form, but a dedicated battle gorge can use its res for more aggressive hydra placement.
  • botchiballbotchiball Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15810Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1959056:date=Aug 8 2012, 06:33 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Aug 8 2012, 06:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959056"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Than the gorge should be able to recycle its hydras to get the res back. Maybe even automatic when you place the 4th one. (btw. clogs need that automatic too)
    To teach the user that hydras are costing res now, you could just write it on the selection menu of the hydra.
    It also should be a small number of res. This way an economical gorge has still the chance to evolve to another life form, but a dedicated battle gorge can use its res for more aggressive hydra placement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=118513" target="_blank">Check out these suggestions about Clog Suggestions.</a>