Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Translation site launched

Comments

• ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    edited July 2012
    Is it possible to get Slovak (Slovakia - EU) in there to translate. I will try to translate it ...
  • venomaevenomae Join Date: 2012-04-18 Member: 150666Members
    Hey any chance to add Czech language as well. I might try to translate it when I get some time. Cheers
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pre-revolve a Onos egg for a player<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i think this should be "a<b>n</b> Onos egg"
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1954271:date=Jul 27 2012, 01:19 PM:name=Laosh'Ra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laosh'Ra @ Jul 27 2012, 01:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954271"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i think this should be "a<b>n</b> Onos egg"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    and "<strike><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->r<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></strike><b>evolve</b>" :P
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1954270:date=Jul 27 2012, 07:15 AM:name=venomae)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (venomae @ Jul 27 2012, 07:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954270"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey any chance to add Czech language as well. I might try to translate it when I get some time. Cheers<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->There is always lot of time on meetings in work :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1954275:date=Jul 27 2012, 03:26 AM:name=ZycaR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZycaR @ Jul 27 2012, 03:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954275"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is always lot of time on meetings in work :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly my thoughts
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1954268:date=Jul 27 2012, 01:01 PM:name=ZycaR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZycaR @ Jul 27 2012, 01:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954268"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is it possible to get Slovak (Slovakia - EU) in there to translate. I will try to translate it ...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1954270:date=Jul 27 2012, 01:15 PM:name=venomae)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (venomae @ Jul 27 2012, 01:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954270"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey any chance to add Czech language as well. I might try to translate it when I get some time. Cheers<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Added both.
  • ale'ale' Join Date: 2011-08-06 Member: 114689Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1954253:date=Jul 27 2012, 12:24 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Jul 27 2012, 12:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954253"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->German translation already got some big problems, and there is no way to influence ppl enough to fix it.

Given that you get 10 different version for a single word per translation, and then have a totally different word voted for the next one (like Armory word X, and then armory tooltip word Y for armory Armory upgrade word Z - just an example)

Since we only got 1 vote per translation and no way to give hints for ppl (like ppl voting for translations that are against the guidelines, or the problem i already said)

I dont see how this will get a nice and proper/consistent translation.

It needs a very small team to fix it up in the end - no matter what votes say.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The Finnish translation has exactly the same problem. In the end the whole translation has to be checked by a single person or a very small group who checks that the translation is consistent. Now, for example, Hive might be called Hive in one place and something else in another. Also smaller things, such as spelling of tooltips should be consistent.

Oh, and there are quite a lot of spelling and grammar mistakes in there. The game will not look very professional if there are elementary school level grammar mistakes in the translations.

Not that anyone will ever use the Finnish translation anyway.
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Also like i posted in another thread there is the problem of the missing context for the word or the sentence. If you want to make a correct translation or vote for the correct translation you have to search in the lua files for the correct context of the object. A very good example, also from the other thread, is this.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ABM_EVOLVE_FOR ("Evolve for ")
    "Mutiere für "
    [ -10p. / good / bad ]
    "Mutiere zu "Alienname""
    [ -8p. / good / bad ]
    "Mutiere zu"
    [ 1p. / good / bad ]
    "Entwickeln zu"
    [ 4p. / good / bad ]
    "Entwickeln in"
    [ -2p. / good / bad ]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Most people seem to have thought the english text was for "evolve to 'lifeform/upgrade'" but actually it is "evolve for 'rescost'". So actually the one with the most negative votes is actually the only translation which does have the same meaning as the original english text. The other translations are even missing the important blank space at the end of the text.

And like someone else already said, it seems like 95% of the people which did vote didn't read the guidelines.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, we need two things, one is a way to communicate between everyone that's trying to translate, and another one is picking someone (native) to make sure everything's correct and approve the strings. I think there's only two translations that have someone responsible for making everything consistent so far. So we'll have to find a way to choose the best person for that job.
    I realize this might be bit complicated right now but it would help a lot - in quite few cases its not exactly clear when is the translated message shown in the game and that might lead to translation defects. Bit more info about certain translation lines (especially the more tricky ones) would go a long way.
  • ChrisBlackJChrisBlackJ Join Date: 2012-07-27 Member: 154384Members
    Hello guys! I recently joined the team of translators. And I want to ask the game developers. Can you give me a copy of the game? So that I could quickly translate the game and all gaming aspects in his native Russian. Thanks in advance! and hope for a quick response.
    <!--quoteo(post=1954289:date=Jul 27 2012, 02:10 PM:name=venomae)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (venomae @ Jul 27 2012, 02:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954289"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I realize this might be bit complicated right now but it would help a lot - in quite few cases its not exactly clear when is the translated message shown in the game and that might lead to translation defects. Bit more info about certain translation lines (especially the more tricky ones) would go a long way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You should test this on your own in the game. Easiest way is modifying enUS.txt in the gamestrings folder to see if your translation makes sense.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Oh, how the hours go by when having fun...
    <!--quoteo(post=1954298:date=Jul 27 2012, 04:36 AM:name=Mendasp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mendasp @ Jul 27 2012, 04:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954298"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You should test this on your own in the game. Easiest way is modifying enUS.txt in the gamestrings folder to see if your translation makes sense.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Any simple way of exporting the current WIP version of the translation from the translation site and using it on my local client? I think I have done about 30-50% of it currently, but lots of it needs testing if it makes sense (as my language is rather weird and many of the words have several forms which can be used depending on the meaning of the sentence or situation).
  • RundervinkjeRundervinkje Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68413Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would be happy to translate to dutch for you.
    <!--quoteo(post=1954310:date=Jul 27 2012, 03:24 PM:name=Rundervinkje)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rundervinkje @ Jul 27 2012, 03:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954310"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would be happy to translate to dutch for you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Added Dutch (nlNL.txt)
  • HendaHenda Join Date: 2004-09-20 Member: 31818Members, Constellation
    I just translated a bunch of German texts. A Message to the other German translators: We don't need to translate "too German" :D It sounds silly sometimes if you imagine the texts in-game. For example: rifle = Fernwaffe :D
    Its also difficult to use only one term in every message when there are several possible translations. It can be really confusing when you play and the shade is sometimes called shade, sometimes Schattenschirm and sometimes Schirm. Maybe we have to imagine the text ingame and think what we want to read in our language and not just translate the text alone as it stands there.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    I would say just add everything in even if it dosnt sound as good or sounds silly, and then start to polish things, talk to eachother and come up with what is best for your fellow gamers from the same country.
    I'm still struggling with to keep names for armory, command station etc or translate them I will be talking and taking feedback from as many as I can ( swedish ) to see what will serve us best.
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1954328:date=Jul 27 2012, 08:38 AM:name=Henda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Henda @ Jul 27 2012, 08:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954328"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just translated a bunch of German texts. A Message to the other German translators: We don't need to translate "too German" :D It sounds silly sometimes if you imagine the texts in-game. For example: rifle = Fernwaffe :D
    Its also difficult to use only one term in every message when there are several possible translations. It can be really confusing when you play and the shade is sometimes called shade, sometimes Schattenschirm and sometimes Schirm. Maybe we have to imagine the text ingame and think what we want to read in our language and not just translate the text alone as it stands there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Read the guidelines....

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Here's what should NOT be translated:

Proper names, including lifeforms, structures and non-descriptive names ("Skulk", "Blink", "MAC", "ARC")
    Location names, whether they are descriptive or not ("Sub-Access")<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Therefor the name "shade" should not be translated at all!
  • ThrillseekerThrillseeker Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60593Members
    Will help out with the Norwegian one ;)
  • RecklessReckless Join Date: 2012-07-27 Member: 154387Members
    Hello, I hope that damn translator has preserved the meaning of my message ; ).

Please tell me, is it possible to remove the fixing of voted evaluation (good / bad), to be able to change its evaluation "good" to "bad" (when appearance a more correct translation, for example)?
    In translation into Russian (and some other ones too...) participating a small number of people and every voice (and there are so few...) means a lot. It would be nice that would be one, who evaluated the translations, could change it evaluation from good to bad, for example. Then one would more clearly identify the most correct translation...
    edited July 2012
    I'm finding a ton of German strings in the spanish translation, please, whoever is doing this should stop, it should be painfully obvious by reading the already spanish translations that it is not the german one...

Jer9-Carver translated "ALIEN_VICTORY" to "Aliens hebben gewonnen!" in Spanish (15 mins ago)
    Jer9-Carver translated "ALIEN_DEFEAT" to "Aliens hebben verloren" in Spanish (15 mins ago)

In fact there should be a way to stick to a translation by default when you go to the translate section, perhaps a dropdown instead of a list on the left?
  • ChristianChristian Join Date: 2012-06-02 Member: 152870Members
    edited July 2012
    Thanks for the great job.

Just want to notify the admin of the translate that the translation progress is incorrect (the values is not correct).

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Current project: Natural Selection 2

Translation progress:

Chinese (Simplified) - 0.00% [translate]
    Czech - 0.00% [translate]
    <b> Danish - 0.00% [translate] <- a lot is translated :-)</b>
    Dutch - 0.00% [translate]
    <b> English (British) - 396.20% [translate] <- above 100%? :-)</b>
    Finnish - 0.00% [translate]
    French - 1.75% [translate]
    German - 0.00% [translate]
    Italian - 0.00% [translate]
    Korean - 0.00% [translate]
    Norwegian - 0.00% [translate]
    Polish - 0.00% [translate]
    Portuguese (Brazil) - 0.00% [translate]
    Russian - 0.00% [translate]
    Slovak - 0.00% [translate]
    Spanish - 86.13% [translate]
    Swedish - 73.14% [translate]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<b>Suggestion:</b> Make a download language button in the buttom of the page, so we could test the replace it with the english language file. (If more then 1 suggestion, take the one with the higest score, if all has the same score then pick the one at the top [or random], if none use default english)
    <!--quoteo(post=1954352:date=Jul 27 2012, 05:44 PM:name=Christian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Christian @ Jul 27 2012, 05:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954352"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks for the great job.

Just want to notify the admin of the translate that the translation progress is incorrect (the values is not correct).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It shows the approved strings percentage, there is a bug where it is accepting multiple times a string when you use the original string, but otherwise it's working correctly. It shows 0% because there's no approved strings in that translation.
  • AceDudeAceDude Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 61994Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I will be working on bugfixes and feature requests in few hours, thanks for all of your posts ;)
  • ChristianChristian Join Date: 2012-06-02 Member: 152870Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1954354:date=Jul 27 2012, 05:46 PM:name=Mendasp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mendasp @ Jul 27 2012, 05:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954354"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It shows the approved strings percentage, there is a bug where it is accepting multiple times a string when you use the original string, but otherwise it's working correctly. It shows 0% because there's no approved strings in that translation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Makes sense :) Could it be 'The progress of translations which have been approved:' instead of 'Translation progress:' then? ;) - or something like that..
  • FloricedFloriced Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7129Members
    Finnish translators, please join <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=119570" target="_blank">HERE</a>
  • [HEI] Spade[HEI] Spade Join Date: 2012-04-28 Member: 151223Members, Squad Five Blue
    Is it possible to enable comments on the different translations to discuss about one or another?!

Thank you Acedude for the awesome work!
  • g1itchg1itch Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5795Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    AceDude, just in case you're able to transfer all of Jer9-Carver's translations out of the Spanish page he's been polluting, they're actually Dutch, not German.