Cheats are showing up in game now

Comments

• internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    If I join somebody's pub and go 25:2 after playing this game for an hour in the last 3 months, does it mean I'm hacking?
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    edited July 2012
    Sometimes I will sit afk in the ready room until marines have jetpacks researched. Then I will join the game and buy a JP. This is probably the easiest way to get the higher KDR's lol.

In old builds I used to join alien and hide in a vent then go for a bike ride and come home when I would have 50 res for a fade... then go fade and profit. Super easy to get 40-1 or even higher KDR's when you do stuff like this. Nobody likes having a crap KDR cause everyone judges skill based on that figure alone it seems like. It's kinda dumb.

So, getting high KDR's doesn't really mean anything to be honest. What makes you a good player is how much you can do for your team and how well you know the game. Sacrifice is what makes a good marine / alien team more often then getting a high KDR.

Oh and just throwing it out there... I personally love when other people accuse you of cheating and in turn decide to toggle on their hacks. It's always the best when the hackers themselves think you are hacking.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1951446:date=Jul 13 2012, 07:48 PM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Jul 13 2012, 07:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1951446"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->rule #1 in NS, do NOT walk through a door as a marine w/o looking up. Doesn't mean cheats, just means they prolly played NS1 :P

Also the sound is very wonky in the game and sometimes you can hear skulks from very far away so even if you think you've stealth walked into position, they may already have heard you and are aware of you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And sometimes you cant hear them right behind you (you can but it sounds like theyre 2 rooms away).
  • PsygonPsygon Join Date: 2012-07-13 Member: 154106Members
    I was in that game and it was peculiar for sure, perhaps he was just korean?
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    edited July 2012
    Has anyone here ever played americas army? You could be standing in spawn and hear someone open a door from literally across the entire map. You could NEVER judge how far away something was in that game and the directional sound was abysmal as well.

NS2's sound is godly compared to that game... and pretty up there for even AAA titles. Prolly does need a little tweaking still though.
  • RiseRise Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150595Members
    edited July 2012
    Let me cast down some false assumptions and accusations being leveled at me (ironic coming from people who claim to hate when people do that).
    1. I didn't post this out of anger, but genuine surprise at encountering a blatant cheater, and wondering what the level of community awareness of this issue was. Also hoping an admin would watch out for them next time.
    2. I am not quick to accuse anyone of cheating, have never accused or suspected anyone before of cheating yet in NS2 since I started playing.
    3. I don't base what I say on simply the K/D ratio, but the way they moved and aimed. It was not natural. They were snapping around and never missing a single bullet, wiping out groups of skulks at point blank range.
    Also, I'm sure the K/D ratio would have been a lot more insane by the time the round actually finished, probably something like 50/3 at the rate things were going, but I left before I could see how bad it got.
  • Locke504Locke504 Join Date: 2010-04-23 Member: 71511Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1951457:date=Jul 14 2012, 02:24 AM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Jul 14 2012, 02:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1951457"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wrooong! If I enter a room and a skulk is above or comming behind me, I can see him on the mini map! That is absoluetly no cheat indication, just a "OP" mini map.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then I must be doing something right because I get even the best marines playing like this. I guess I just sort of made the assumption that you wouldn't show up on MM unless you were moving fast and in close proximity.
  • DrFlammableDrFlammable Join Date: 2012-04-18 Member: 150705Members
    sarah you're tearing this community apart
  • xorexxorex Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148550Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1951436:date=Jul 13 2012, 02:56 PM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Jul 13 2012, 02:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1951436"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well there is Also missing:

Treffnix
    Fana
    Invici (I am sure I wrote it wrong)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yeah but they dont play this game at all, let alone pub games rofl

And to the OP, sarah is one of those players I listed and thats all I say about that rofl. No they don't cheat, yes they are A LOT better than you :(
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm not a great player by any means and only play on public servers. I have had near 25:2 games before but that was when I was with a bunch of brand new players in the All-in noobs play here server.

On playing with the best making you better... I don't know. Strategy wise yes, but it can not help my bad aim. I wish I could also be a skulk and take on an entire not upgraded marine team too... but.... ya. I just do my best.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    A simple indicator that suggests whether someone is cheating although nothing is ever 100% positive

- If they are getting high kdr's and making crazy shots consistently but only walking backwards and have genuinely retarded movement.... A legitly good player will generally be jumping/strafing etc. and taking every advantage they can.
  • tux77tux77 Join Date: 2012-05-20 Member: 152340Members
    Dont mind if its fana you can think he cheat but its just he is very good and lot of ns2 player are low skilled for the moment, when you know how to displace and walk throw the map and how to do when you want to bite ou shoot a oppenement you have a LARGE avantage on lot of players, moreover if your a 10 year ns1 player and got jp+sg lvl3 ^^.

But there is some cheater yes, i always plays EU server and sometimes there is some haxor who use the fact thaht you can change lot of variable in the game, disables blur and so other things making you have a big advantage on other normal players, but i never seen a players who use aimbot, speedhack, just ppl playing whit game variable like in ns1 when we were able to change the tooth image by a invisible thoof to have a better view in skulk or in ns2 disabling blur effect or making marine be totaly red or saying cloaked thing whit bloom etc . Not realy cheat but the mp_consustancy need to be back in NS2 to prevent ppl who wont take time to get skill.

And yeah on some publics game in aliens its easy to do 30-0 as skulk lerk or fade , in marines its far more easy to do scorring because of armory getting your armor back, skulk no longer ###### 30 sec leap etcc but when you do thaht like staying in ore process waiting for warehouse skulk comming like flower , your team lot of time loose other side of the map and your not efficien on the game, but i know thaht can be funny to play for scoring sometime especialy chasing ambushing lerk or onos ;) ...

SO UWE PLZ GET MP_CONSISTANCY BACK PLZ !!

Rev3rence - TuX
  • zombiehellmonkeyzombiehellmonkey Join Date: 2007-08-31 Member: 62093Members, Squad Five Blue
    ATM, I can only play on servers that give me >200 ping, I often get called noob, as soon as I get on a server with <50 ping I'm sometimes called a cheat - can't win either way :D
  • t0net0ne Join Date: 2012-07-15 Member: 154142Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1951365:date=Jul 13 2012, 02:07 PM:name=Rise)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rise @ Jul 13 2012, 02:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1951365"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is this because of the release of the SDK?

One person named sarah in the 420 server had a score of 25/2 on marine side before I left. Never missed, always snapped to target even if you came from behind.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was playing on this same game. This person was snapping aim to aliens. it was apparent they were *not* missing, as you watched them third person, their weapon bullets, either shotgun or rifle were hitting aliens everytime due to the fact you could see the alien blood with every bullet impact. everyone that has responded to this thread wasnt in the game, and I'm pretty sure if you witnessed the player, you would agree. they eventually left with like a score of something like 45/2.
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    It's really sad when people can't just call someone good. That person "sarah" is a old exi. competitive player from ns1 smurfing. WTF do you think is gonna happen with a server full of Ok and noob players? Get raped son!
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    i think this discussion shows that we really need some anti-cheat mechanics (better sooner than later, at least for code consistency).
    not primarily to catch those few cheaters, but to prevent paranoia in the community: it does not even matter wether the complaints are legitimate or not as the result is the same for the person who feels betrayed.
    for newbies, ns2 is difficult enough as it is (you can die really fast) and if they read about this stuff in chat, they will likely be very frustrated.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2012
    Right now we have the situation of people playing the game over 1,5 years vs players with 10 hrs of gameplay.

NS2 was present on E3, Dreamshack and Rezzed. Soon @ Gamescom.
    This end in more new players.

A new player that own everyone in BF3 or CoD join the game, shoot an skulk that jump in his direction and think "wtf, why is this little dog not dying. I hit everything". The new player join the forum and post things like "skulks op" or "cheater everywhere" without the knowing of some backround (hitreg issues, performance issues,..). And maybe without getting more game experience before.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2012
    Regarding 420 servers:

I've added some more admins.
    I have no opinion on the matter of cheating or this sarah, but having more admins on board can only be a good thing as i only allow level headed, patient folk who are not ban-happy. In other words:<b> in lieu/wait of the anti cheat measures we will be stepping up mod counts to ensure a pleasant experience. </b>(even if that means informing X player that Y is not cheating, but just good.)

Thanks,
    And if you have any issues whatsoever with the servers please PM me.

(Check out our latest Ivy server! running at 4.4ghz)
  • RiseRise Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150595Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1951685:date=Jul 15 2012, 06:28 AM:name=t0ne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (t0ne @ Jul 15 2012, 06:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1951685"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was playing on this same game. This person was snapping aim to aliens. it was apparent they were *not* missing, as you watched them third person, their weapon bullets, either shotgun or rifle were hitting aliens everytime due to the fact you could see the alien blood with every bullet impact. everyone that has responded to this thread wasnt in the game, and I'm pretty sure if you witnessed the player, you would agree. they eventually left with like a score of something like 45/2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Heh, I even said he probably would have gotten to 50/2 by the time the game was over at that rate.
    Glad I'm not the only one who noticed there was something blatantly wrong going on.

I've faced plenty of good players in NS2, but never saw anyone move and aim like that.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Job well done, Mr. Eh? ;)
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    edited July 2012
    sarah is a disgrace to the NS2 community.

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Plz-bhcHryc"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Plz-bhcHryc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Its a shame her sister Samantha isnt as good...
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1951949:date=Jul 16 2012, 10:18 AM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Jul 16 2012, 10:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1951949"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its a shame her sister Samantha isnt as good...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, i left happy.
  • t0net0ne Join Date: 2012-07-15 Member: 154142Members
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1951688:date=Jul 15 2012, 10:32 AM:name=JuCCi-PuCCi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JuCCi-PuCCi @ Jul 15 2012, 10:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1951688"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's really sad when people can't just call someone good. That person "sarah" is a old exi. competitive player from ns1 smurfing. WTF do you think is gonna happen with a server full of Ok and noob players? Get raped son!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thnaks, but I'm not a noob. I played ns1 for 5 years, and I'm an alpha buyer for ns2. after being killed by said player a few times that were sort of unexplainable, I spectated them third person. it was blatantly obvious. you werent in the game, so I suggest you give up your stance on the matter. and as rise said above, I've been playing ns1/ns2 long enough to recognize a good player. there was definitely something going on with "sarah" that had nothing to do with skill.
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1951963:date=Jul 16 2012, 07:07 AM:name=t0ne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (t0ne @ Jul 16 2012, 07:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1951963"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->thnaks, but I'm not a noob. I played ns1 for 5 years, and I'm an alpha buyer for ns2. after being killed by said player a few times that were sort of unexplainable, I spectated them third person. it was blatantly obvious. you werent in the game, so I suggest you give up your stance on the matter. and as rise said above, I've been playing ns1/ns2 long enough to recognize a good player. there was definitely something going on with "sarah" that had nothing to do with skill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As Jucci said, this person is a known competitive player using an alt name. Don't be so hasty to accuse someone as cheating, highly skilled players do exist.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    And this players may try their coding skills because of boredom or because they can, while hiding under other names? ;)
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1951970:date=Jul 16 2012, 11:30 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Jul 16 2012, 11:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1951970"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And this players may try their coding skills because of boredom or because they can, while hiding under other names? ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

safe to say that most of us who change names do it to avoid the stacking of whichever team we join.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    I'm saying nothing different. Just want to note that being a NS veteran doesn't make you a saint.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    psht she could barely modify a working reserve slot plugin, i doubt she could make a working lua aimbot.

The point is this was a huge problem in NS1, and lead to many of the issues within the community. Taking this stance of continually declaring them as a cheater only serves to create friction between players, and will lead to the same issues that plagued NS1... Especially if NS2 reaches anywhere near the skill levels of NS1. After doing something over and over you being to develop memory for every move, and you can perform them perfectly and exactly the same each time, without error. Generally people that move intelligently, even if very mechanically, are not cheating. You cannot script or fake movement, that is something that comes with practice and skill.

I really suggest people only address these issues with server admins, while you may think you are doing everyone a favor by bringing these issues to light on the forums, it generally only leads to issues when posted here.
This discussion has been closed.