Laggy low frame rates, not what i expected from Rezzed

Neil79Neil79 Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153950Members
edited July 2012 in Technical Support
Not sure what system was being used at Rezzed which was super smooth and playing lovely but installing the beta via steam it's laggy on most servers and the frame rates are dire :(. I'm talking 35fps all high / 1920x1200 with no aa!. What's even more annoying is the capacitor noise from the gpu in the main menu!, kinda like running high frames in a 3d click benchmark

i5 2500k 4.7GHZ
Gtx 560 ti OC
8GB memory
SSD Drive
Windows 7 ( low processes, highly tweaked/tested system )
15mbit connection

Comments

• TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    You probably found bad server, that rig should be fine. There are handful good servers rest are unplayable.
  • Neil79Neil79 Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153950Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1950155:date=Jul 9 2012, 08:28 PM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Jul 9 2012, 08:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1950155"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You probably found bad server, that rig should be fine. There are handful good servers rest are unplayable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm afraid i saw it on a number of servers as the action started to heat up, it was super smooth 55fps for most of the time but an hr in things started dropping down and getting all stuttery. Frame rates are much higher as the creatures rather than the marine
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Performance issues are known and a top priority for the development team at this point. The game is playable, but these slowdowns and chokes do still occur current build.
    Good to hear, thanks :)
    I notice atleast 15fps lower when being a marine in some areas :(
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well some areas may still have alot of lights and/or not enough occluison faces so you see too much from the maps. Also some areas tend to have a bigger chance of chocke somehow.

Be glad you joined so late, some time back 3vs3 was the best playable, it is still in beta. All I can say is to wait, that is whaat I am doing for almost 18months now, but performance grows slowly and sometimes really big.

The goal is that you can play NS2 on a C2D and a 8800 GPU.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Hey Neil and welcome.

Yes, performance is a known issue with the game but we are currently starting a big push on it, and it will improve significantly before release.

The game would definitely have performed much better at Rezzed, primarily because the computers were all connected over LAN. In it's current state NS2 puts quite a heavy load on the servers, so your online experience will be dramatically effected by server performance, which will in turn lower your own client performance.

The majority of the performance hit is on the gameplay code side, not as much on the graphics side, and it is much easier for us to focus on optimization now, as we've just gotten to a feature complete stage of the game. Over the course of the development there is a lot of fluctuation, as new features are constantly being added that can have huge impacts on server or client load, or both, so it really required nailing down all that stuff in order to properly work on ways of making all that stuff faster.

We've also put a lot of work over the past few weeks/months creating a robust set of profiling tools, to help us clearly see exactly what areas of the game are causing the biggest issues so we can really target the most problematic areas. We also recently just brought on a new programmer whose sole focus is optimization.

It can be quite a shock to go from playing the game on a LAN setup at a show like Rezzed to then playing online, but we've tried to be up front with people playing the game at those shows, so they know that getting involved in the beta stage of NS2 will be a little rougher, but to know that the game will improve leaps and bounds over the next few months. We fully expect it to be running as well as it was for players at Rezzed by the time we hit release.

--Cory
  • OrzOrz Join Date: 2010-03-24 Member: 71069Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1950491:date=Jul 11 2012, 02:25 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jul 11 2012, 02:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1950491"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, performance is a known issue with the game but we are currently starting a big push on it, and it will improve significantly before release.

The game would definitely have performed much better at Rezzed, primarily because the computers were all connected over LAN. In it's current state NS2 puts quite a heavy load on the servers, so your online experience will be dramatically effected by server performance, which will in turn lower your own client performance.

The majority of the performance hit is on the gameplay code side, not as much on the graphics side, and it is much easier for us to focus on optimization now, as we've just gotten to a feature complete stage of the game. Over the course of the development there is a lot of fluctuation, as new features are constantly being added that can have huge impacts on server or client load, or both, so it really required nailing down all that stuff in order to properly work on ways of making all that stuff faster.

We've also put a lot of work over the past few weeks/months creating a robust set of profiling tools, to help us clearly see exactly what areas of the game are causing the biggest issues so we can really target the most problematic areas. We also recently just brought on a new programmer whose sole focus is optimization.

It can be quite a shock to go from playing the game on a LAN setup at a show like Rezzed to then playing online, but we've tried to be up front with people playing the game at those shows, so they know that getting involved in the beta stage of NS2 will be a little rougher, but to know that the game will improve leaps and bounds over the next few months. We fully expect it to be running as well as it was for players at Rezzed by the time we hit release.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is such a brilliant and clear explanation of how things are right now. Also, well done and congratulations to you and the rest of the team for reaching 'feature complete' status. I hope you guys have a night out together to celebrate or something.
    <!--quoteo(post=1950496:date=Jul 11 2012, 06:59 AM:name=Orz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Orz @ Jul 11 2012, 06:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1950496"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is such a brilliant and clear explanation of how things are right now. Also, well done and congratulations to you and the rest of the team for reaching 'feature complete' status. I hope you guys have a night out together to celebrate or something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree, thanks Squeal_Like_A_Pig, keep up the good work it's why we pre-ordered :D
  • cipher86cipher86 Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154265Members
    came here to ask about this, glad to see it has a good explanation. very happy with the core game and can't wait to see the technical issues ironed out!
    edited August 2012
    New patches and it's still dire!

Doesn't matter what server the frame rates are not what i expected on my system, what's worse it now skips and stutters!. It's awful to play and a release of the game isn't that far behind YES I KNOW IT'S A BETA. So far in truth it's been the worst purchase this year and i purchased two copies based on the game i played at rezzed!

Rezzed - Beta near release
    At home - Alpha!

Before anyone say's it's my system i can play Arma 2(dayz) perfectly fine and any other game that's currently out, i mean christ i've been playing 6hrs at night on dayz lol.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    I would definitely expect better performance based on your system specs. I've got a 4ghz Phenom 2 x6 with an ATI HD7970. Most of the time it runs just fine, but I too experience slowdowns in big fights. For reference I can play crysis with everything maxed in Eyefinity (6000x1080).

Basically it's a matter of keeping faith and waiting a little bit until the last folds are ironed out.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Hey Neil, sorry to hear your having issues with your framerate. It's odd that you're getting such bad performance, you actually have a much better PC than myself! Performance is being worked on constantly and big things are around the corner.

However, there are a few things you can try and see if this improves your framerate.

Open console, and try type in the following:

r_shadows 0
    r_bloom 0
    r_atmospherics 0
    r_aa 0

Also your framerate is very much highly depended on 2 things; the server tick rate (how fast the server is actually running the game) and your ping to the server.

Try joining one of the High-Spec servers in the EU, such as Skulkrush, HBZ or YOClan. That should help reduce your prediction (currently a known issue for performance)

Once on, bring down the console and type net_stats
    You should see a server 'tickrate' - ideally this should be 30. At heavy times, it may hit 15-20. If it drops below around 9 or 10, either there is a problem with the server, or the server is a low-powered one.

I hope you continue to stick around in the next few weeks, we're going to be patching as often as we can and get performance where it needs to be. With a team of only 7 and one engine guy, as you can imagine it's a mammoth task. But we're getting there :)

Cheers!
  • koewikoewi Join Date: 2007-08-25 Member: 61984Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hi guys ...
    just found this thread and have a question ... I just want to know if the game will, or at least should be playable on my notebook, when it's released ...

Setup:
    Phenom II X4 N930 (2GHz) (Mobile Processor)
    4 GB DDR3 Ram
    Mobility Radeon 5650HD
    Win 7 x64
    normal HDD no SSD

I know its crappy ... i bought it 2 years ago ... but its still good enough to run BF3 on low details at 1280x768, which means i can play the most time over 25 fps ... better then nothing i'd say ...
    In the last builds i noticed some big performance improvements, so that NS2 <b>(build 216)</b> at 1280x768 and low details, without any extra ###### enabled is running with around 5-20 fps if im on the battleground (in firefights its usually under 10-15)
    ... commanding is much better and going realy well ...

So what would u say ... is it reasonable to hope? It would be awesome, cause NS1 is my alltime-favorite game and NS2 looks to be pretty good aswell.
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1950154:date=Jul 9 2012, 12:20 PM:name=Neil79)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Neil79 @ Jul 9 2012, 12:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1950154"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not sure what system was being used at Rezzed which was super smooth and playing lovely but installing the beta via steam it's laggy on most servers and the frame rates are dire :(. I'm talking 35fps all high / 1920x1200 with no aa!. What's even more annoying is the capacitor noise from the gpu in the main menu!, kinda like running high frames in a 3d click benchmark

i5 2500k 4.7GHZ
    Gtx 560 ti OC
    8GB memory
    SSD Drive
    Windows 7 ( low processes, highly tweaked/tested system )
    15mbit connection<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have an i5-2500k 4.5GHz and a GTX 570 -- I usually see 50-55FPS at the lowest and I've seen 40 maybe once during an especially crazy fight full of flamethrowers. I run the game at 1920x1080 with everything turned off and on awful though.

<!--quoteo(post=1960185:date=Aug 9 2012, 07:25 PM:name=koewi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (koewi @ Aug 9 2012, 07:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960185"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi guys ...
    just found this thread and have a question ... I just want to know if the game will, or at least should be playable on my notebook, when it's released ...

Setup:
    Phenom II X4 N930 (2GHz) (Mobile Processor)
    4 GB DDR3 Ram
    Mobility Radeon 5650HD
    Win 7 x64
    normal HDD no SSD

I know its crappy ... i bought it 2 years ago ... but its still good enough to run BF3 on low details at 1280x768, which means i can play the most time over 25 fps ... better then nothing i'd say ...
    In the last builds i noticed some big performance improvements, so that NS2 <b>(build 216)</b> at 1280x768 and low details, without any extra ###### enabled is running with around 5-20 fps if im on the battleground (in firefights its usually under 10-15)
    ... commanding is much better and going realy well ...

So what would u say ... is it reasonable to hope? It would be awesome, cause NS1 is my alltime-favorite game and NS2 looks to be pretty good aswell.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In the game's current state...probably not. They're going to continue to improve performance though so who knows in a few months?
  • koewikoewi Join Date: 2007-08-25 Member: 61984Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    yeah found the thread right here
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=119862" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=119862</a>
    i guess most of my questions are answered there ...
    however, i loved to command in ns1 and thats the thing i can do in ns2 allrdy ... so im satisfied to 75% ... i only thing that should not happen is a skulk in base, that i have to kill by getting out of the console :D ... this is a fight i cant stand, even if i got weapon and armor lvl 3 :D
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We just released patch 216 - I'd be curious if performance has improved for you Neil (Server performance should be increased, so client framerates should in turn go up a slight amount). We also fixed a lot of the hitching with more pre-caching. If you could provide more feedback using 216 that would be great :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1960344:date=Aug 10 2012, 10:16 AM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Aug 10 2012, 10:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960344"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We just released patch 216 - I'd be curious if performance has improved for you Neil (Server performance should be increased, so client framerates should in turn go up a slight amount). We also fixed a lot of the hitching with more pre-caching. If you could provide more feedback using 216 that would be great :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thankyou will play more tonight and give results :)
    edited August 2012
    Ok i had a quick go it was much better at first but it was still dropping to 50fps at times and felt very laggy when it did so ( adaptive vsnc ), went into options turned off bloom/AA. But the server was full, joined another with 43 ping 15/16 and it was skipping all over the shop. Everytime i walked it would jerk back opposite the direction i walked. All other servers in my ping range were full, gave up and left :(

1) Performance still needs improving
    2) We really need that Tripple Buffering option for which i requested some time ago, i'd prefer that over adaptive vsync!