Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 211/212 changelog

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 211/212 changelog here

Comments

• XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2012
    First!

Changes are looking mighty good, only got a few games in so far but at least the marine economy felt a lot better again! Haven't had the chance to comm aliens yet, so can't comment on that. My performance noticeably improved, though I am getting these weird occasional freezes now. (I asked other people and they all confirmed this). That being said, definitely going to enjoy this build, I think this is another great step in the right direction in terms of gameplay/balance. (And even performance to some extent, for me personally)
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Streaming B212 now: <a href="http://www.twitch.tv/rwryne" target="_blank">http://www.twitch.tv/rwryne</a> !!!
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    loaded it up and loved the changes I saw. A little confused on the carapace and how it works now (how much extra is it exactly per life form?).

I do not alien comm ever but I like any changes to make him more interesting in any sense of the word. Good stuff. will be playing ^^ :D
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    Wow, this is a big one. Everything looks great! Only one question to be honest: Why aren't cysts taking any damage from ARCs now? What was the reason for this?
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Performance seems to have increased greatly. Nice build from what I played so far. :)
  • pRiNcEkAhUnApRiNcEkAhUnA Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148264Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1947532:date=Jun 28 2012, 05:53 PM:name=cake.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cake. @ Jun 28 2012, 05:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1947532"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow, this is a big one. Everything looks great! Only one question to be honest: Why aren't cysts taking any damage from ARCs now? What was the reason for this?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I have spotted a bug with the arc where it sometimes does attack alien structures(Including the hive). Working on repro steps
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1947532:date=Jun 28 2012, 06:53 PM:name=cake.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cake. @ Jun 28 2012, 06:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1947532"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow, this is a big one. Everything looks great! Only one question to be honest: Why aren't cysts taking any damage from ARCs now? What was the reason for this?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Probably to prevent the Arcs from being in range of a cyst but out of range of say a hive or chamber and the arc still being able to hit those additional structures with the splash damage (same with eggs). This is essentially a nerf to being able to kill things through walls at ridiculous ranges. I wonder if the flamer got the damage buff to cysts though, I didn't see that in the notes.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    If you restart your client, the freezes will go away. Its just the first time you load it up.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Yeah I had a TON of shader related errors in the console on the first boot up.
  • olisisolisis Join Date: 2003-02-01 Member: 12944Members
    Absolutely love the new cloaking. The extra freedom of movement you get while cloaked makes it so much more fun for ambushes!
  • Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    Love the new build, it seems to be a LOT better fps for me throughout the game :)

I did see the alien commander manage to place invincible cysts tho lol, put 5 clips of lmg and emptied my pistol, the thing wouldnt die!¬
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    Feels a lot better than it did the last time I played. Docking has a really distinct NS1 feel to it.
    Default player fov is still really offensive to me.
  • PerestroikaPerestroika Join Date: 2011-07-24 Member: 111955Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I got a bug where logging out of the commander chair broke the fps stuff, so like i could walk around with wasd but i still had the yellow pointer and couldnt aim, not sure what happen

kill command did not help :(
  • Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    yeah, that happened to be as well, had to retry in console, the command chair arrow continued to appear through the loading stage, and only disappeared around the time i enterd the ready room.
  • {GGs} Chicken{GGs} Chicken Join Date: 2011-11-22 Member: 134663Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Shade decreased to 10 tres to encourage more use. I guess none of the devs played b210? 5 Shades in every room.

Carapace should scale with each hive. IMO this is too much for early game just to make up for late game. 1pres for 80% more survivability as a skulk obtainable within a minute or two of game start? -8% speed for +80% hp against lmg marine early game.

Leap is still instant, I am disappoint.
  • DecipherDecipher Join Date: 2003-06-19 Member: 17512Members
    I noticed some sentries having issue with power.
    Also noted the random freezes which continued after reset/reboot.

I like that upgrades to aliens cost pres again. Slows down time until first onos as they burn pres as skulk.

Havent seen so many games drag out now as well which is nice.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Carapace changed so it gives more armor, but slows down aliens a little (it's more of a tradeoff and changes how you play, instead of simply making you better in all circumstances).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bandaid fix. Doesn't fix the underlying problems, creates new ones, and causes more frustrations with that "trade off". As Chicken said, it's only made skulks even stronger at the beginning of the game (still falls very short late game). And it's made carapace Onos even more frustrating and ugly to play with with the added slow. 90 year old ladies can move faster than them.

Making upgrades cost pres again a huge step backwards. I'm back to no longer taking upgrades on a skulk anymore once Marines have shotguns/grenade launchers. Mission accomplished? Why are Aliens the only ones required to have to pay for their basic upgrades, why not make Marines have to purchase their basic upgrades from an armory. That way basic lmg marines can be just as "useful" (useless) as skulks late game unless they pay for their weapon/armor upgrades.

Remove carapace from the crag tech, replace it with something else. Give Aliens an arms lab equivalent.
  • DggMuffinDggMuffin Join Date: 2012-05-28 Member: 152684Members
    Charlie has already said they plan on tying alien abilities (like leap) to the second and third hive, so why not do the same with attack and defense. Attack and armor 1 can be researched on starting hive. At two hives you can get 2/2 and at three hives you can get 3/3. Hell you could even keep cara (nerfed a bit) with the speed reduction, so late game aliens could have 3/4 (similar to how in starcraft2 ultralisks can be upgraded to 3/5 with the really heavy armor).
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited June 2012
    ignore, wrong thread.
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Looks really good, I look forward to playing it and comment more. It seems you adressed almost all the concerns we have had as players. It's really nice to see you listen. Lets hope we gave you good advice :)
  • snooopssnooops Germany Join Date: 2008-12-08 Member: 65702Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What about Engine updates? Do you develop water effects or not? i mean, i dont get an idea why i should create a mod for the ns2 engine if there arent basic functionality.
  • iKossuiKossu Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11593Members
    Onosome changes! The only downside I see is that it'll be a few days until I get to play it. :'(
  • vollkornvollkorn Join Date: 2012-04-29 Member: 151271Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Added MAC EMP blast (research at the Robotics Factory). Gives MACs the ability to trigger an EMP blast, draining half of nearby alien energy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Does this make sense? Aliens are organic lifeforms. EMPs do not influence humans at all.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1947626:date=Jun 29 2012, 09:38 AM:name=vollkorn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vollkorn @ Jun 29 2012, 09:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1947626"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does this make sense? Aliens are organic lifeforms. EMPs do not influence humans at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    NANITES!
  • DecipherDecipher Join Date: 2003-06-19 Member: 17512Members
    From the games ive played any decent alien comm will just get leap at the start and cara couple of minutes in. With the improved cara it makes it very bias. Perhaps it could be tiered and upgraded through hives or cara should be a two hive ability (Regen, Silence and Celerity being 1 hive) and hypermutation, camo and cara being a 2 hive ability?

Or perhaps move leap back to a two hive ability. The combination means the skulks are very tough to kill but dont lose their mobility due to leap.
  • AiorosAioros Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14850Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1947592:date=Jun 28 2012, 11:28 PM:name={GGs} Chicken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ({GGs} Chicken @ Jun 28 2012, 11:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1947592"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Carapace should scale with each hive. IMO this is too much for early game just to make up for late game. 1pres for 80% more survivability as a skulk obtainable within a minute or two of game start? -8% speed for +80% hp against lmg marine early game.

Leap is still instant, I am disappoint.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

increase leap cost to 35
    Carapace is fine with that slow on speed, but u dont notice it with instant leap ;/
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->EMPs do not influence humans at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    actually, they do:
    <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_weapon" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_weapon</a>
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Why does the carapace upgrade has to have a trade off? The marine upgrades are passive and have no trade off? I know you want to have asymmetry in the game is it really necessary in all aspects?
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1947639:date=Jun 29 2012, 01:51 AM:name=Nakorson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nakorson @ Jun 29 2012, 01:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1947639"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why does the carapace upgrade has to have a trade off? The marine upgrades are passive and have no trade off? I know you want to have asymmetry in the game is it really necessary in all aspects?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Carapace did not boost alien toughness sufficiently. Grenades and Shotguns were killing Skulks with Carapace instantly. However, simply increasing Carapace armor further, without any downside would make aliens too powerful.

The "heavy" Carapace design caters for players who like to lead the pack, by absorbing more damage, hence creating more diversity in roles for Aliens. It is far from a "bandaid fix", but it will probably require more testing to achieve perfect balance.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2012
    What is the philosophy behind 1p.res for alien lifeform upgrades? I'm really thrilled they cost p.res again, but at 1 p.res they may as well be free. (Ideally, the upgrades would cost more depending on the platform, i.e skulk carapace would be 1 p.res where as onos carapace would be for example 5 or more.)