3D support in NS2?

AnisotonicAnisotonic Join Date: 2012-06-16 Member: 153318Members
edited June 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
Hi. I came in here after seeing the latest trailer, thinking this game has quite large 3D potential. I was wondering if 3D rendering is implemented in NS2, or if the devs are interested in that. If so, I'll gladly preorder right away and help testing. If not, then I just wanted to show support for it. Cheers.

Comments

• VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited June 2012
    This is an awesome idea and I imagine it would look really cool in 3D. 3D is however very advanced technology which most implement incorrectly(just look at YouTube for example), so it might be difficult to add for the current UWE team.

High quality 3D viewing / projection gear is also quite expensive so the question is how many would there be who really uses this feature?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I'd suspect 3D will be supported after 1.0
  • NEX9NEX9 Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44299Members
    I didn't think it was that exspensive. Most people for quite some time have had video cards able to support it. I remember a few years back when nvidia released the drivers for it. Their list of cards able to support it is now well over half there commercial range. Then if you go the wired glasses you only need a 120hz monitor. I don't know about the rest of the words standards but in australia. If you go to buy any new monitor not from a Aldi shop or a cheap as chips on special. it's 120 hz. You can get 3d film now. That gos over the monitor. Or fork out the big bucks for a Monitor, system, the works that does it all for you.

I'd ###### bricks playing ns2 in 3d. A fade appearing out of no we're. Holy hell I'd so lose all bowl control. And that's if I was a gorge doing my gardening.

As a marine pucker factor would be so high.
  • basti1337basti1337 Join Date: 2011-05-13 Member: 98538Members
    I occasionally play NS2 in stereoscopic 3D mode since almost a year now... It works pretty well but not perfectly. Some lights and shadows are being rendered offset in the second eye perspective in some cases. This makes you feel kind of dizzy... Also all GUI elements have a static depth value so aiming with the rifle is quite difficult when you move around and the background depth changes. When you play on the alien side as a skulk or gorge its teeth are too close to the camera and because of that the 3D effect is too "strong" and simply not working. Despite all these tiny issues its a great experience.

I'm using a geforce gtx 560ti and the nvidia 3dtv-play software in combination with a samsung smart tv.