Low Fps any help?

ryuk226ryuk226 Join Date: 2011-05-08 Member: 97765Members
First of all sorry if I am in the wrong section and sorry if this has already been posted.

I just got the beta yesterday and started playing and found some lag issues I figured it was my ping at 150. Come to find out I was only running 15-20 fps I Have an i7 core processor, 3 gigs of ram and, ATI Mobility Radeon HD5730 1 gig. I was just wondering if there is any way I can improve my fps or if its just the way it has to be thanks.

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2011
    I'm afraid to say that the search button would have been your friend in this case, as this has been asked many times.

The devs are working on increasing performance. What you can do to help, is run NS2 in windowed mode, at about half your screen resolution. This should make the game a bit better in the fps department. Seeing as you have an i7 CPU, and I also do but get far higher fps (about 40-60) I can only assume that you have less than me due to having a slower GFX card and less RAM (I have 6GB).

Until some more performance wins can be made to NS2, just run it at a lower res in windowed mode, or upgrade ur PC. :)
  • ryuk226ryuk226 Join Date: 2011-05-08 Member: 97765Members
    Thanks i figured as much i tried searching for it I couldnt find it I guess i didnt look to hard :-p but thanks for the tips
  • La ChupacabraLa Chupacabra Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63729Members
    Hi! I'm hijacking this thread!

So I've looked around the forums (if only I could search for "low fps" it would be much simpler ;) applied all the hints that I could find in one of the technical support threads (http://www.naturalselection.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=117259), but still when running the game windowed, medium settings at 1024x800, with all the blooms, shadows, fogs, instancing etc switched off I've got like 5-20 fps. I've even tried to run at lower res and 'ridiculously awful' settings but the improvement was tiny.

Would anybody be so kind to advise me on how to improve that? Just bought a new machine so maybe I've missed something obvious software/driver/settings-wise (my computer-magics skills stopped updating since single-core windows xp times :D)?

my XPS L702x laptop:

Intel Core i7-2670QM (base 2.20 GHz but around 2.80 when running NS2 with turbo boost)
    3GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M Graphics Card
    8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz (2 DIMMs)
    Windows 7 64-bit SP1

I understand NS2 is in beta and this was to be expected.... NS still kicks ass and can't wait for the final release! Fade-hugs all around! :D
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @La Chupacabra

Well your problem should be the CPU. Its clockspped is to low to get more than 30 FPS.
    LUA is very CPU intensive and you "only" play on a Laptop. NS2 beta is one of those games that aren very GamingLaptop friendly.
    All I can suggest you, is to overclock your CPU a bit, but that won't help much because of you low end mobility GPU.
    Max plays on a Geforec 8800 and this will be the minimum specs to play NS2 and your GPU is weaker tha a 6! years old GPU.
  • La ChupacabraLa Chupacabra Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63729Members
    Indeed, it's not a gaming laptop, but surprisingly I ran all modern games rather smoothly up until this point so I kind hoped that something can be done ;) Well, I guess I should either wait and see for performance tweaks or get myself an upgrade after NS2 is ready. Thanks for your comment Floodinator!
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I used to have a "gaming" laptop. Don't ever buy a gaming laptop if you're buying it to play video games. Desktop >> any laptop. They mobile hardware gets outdated incredibly fast and they will overheat.

You could maybe play NS2 with 10-20 fps. Try and overclock or turbo mode it as much as possible, turn down all your graphics, etc.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1940848:date=Jun 1 2012, 06:13 PM:name=La Chupacabra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (La Chupacabra @ Jun 1 2012, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940848"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->my XPS L702x laptop:

Intel Core i7-2670QM (base 2.20 GHz but around 2.80 when running NS2 with turbo boost)
    3GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M Graphics Card
    8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz (2 DIMMs)
    Windows 7 64-bit SP1

I understand NS2 is in beta and this was to be expected.... NS still kicks ass and can't wait for the final release! Fade-hugs all around! :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I wonder if your laptop is using the wrong GFX chip as in, it may be using the Intel Onboard GFX not the Geforce. Might be worth forcing NS2 to use the Nvidia card?
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1941334:date=Jun 4 2012, 02:48 AM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Jun 4 2012, 02:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941334"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wonder if your laptop is using the wrong GFX chip as in, it may be using the Intel Onboard GFX not the Geforce. Might be worth forcing NS2 to use the Nvidia card?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nah, the problem with the GT555m is, there are sooo many different versions:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->144 Cores 709 MHz (GF106), 128 Bit GDDR5 z.B. MSI GX780
    144 Cores 590 MHz (GF106), 192 Bit DDR3 z.B. Dell XPS 17, Alienware M14x
    144 Cores 590 MHz (GF106), 128 Bit DDR3 z.B. Schenker XMG A501 / A701 (Clevo W150HRM / W170HN)
    96 Cores 753 MHz (GF108), 128 Bit GDDR5 z.B. Lenovo Y570p / Y560p
    144 Cores 525 MHz (GF116), 128 Bit DDR3 z.B. Medion Akoya P6812<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

so he may have the one with only 96 Cores.
  • LutherLuther Join Date: 2012-05-29 Member: 152714Members
    I get horrible fps about 70% of the time and im sitting on a i5 quad core 4.7ghz 8gigs ram and two 560 ti's in sli.

From what im hearing the fps issues has to account for many problems as to the server, your ping, the cpu, gpu, so it basically comes down to the game we just have to wait for the devs to patch it over time.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2012
    What is low FPS on that rig? If it is in between 35-70 (combat<->no combat) it is what the current state of the engine limitations are on a rig that powerful. If it is less then 30, there is a problem on your end somewhere or you're playing on a very low tickrate server. My guess is the SLI setup could cause compatibility issues as well

Try net_stats in the console to get information about the server, anything below a server tickrate of 20 (arguably below 15) will cause rubber banding (lag issues) and your FPS will dip as well, due to predictions that have to be made on your client. A server tickrate of (20+)25-30 is what is needed for smooth gameplay/FPS

<i><!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->- Moved the topic to Technical Support<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></i>
    Low for me is like 10 to 20fps but im sort of guessing that is where its at, i do have fraps and i plan on playing in a couple hours so ill run it with fraps on, that will tell me my fps without recording gameply.
    Instead of using Fraps type r_stats in the console.
    Btw I noticed if I have Firefox open in the background I get 50% less FPS.
    So close any programs you don't need for playing NS2.
    edited June 2012
    Ok I joined a server where my ping was around 150ish and my average fps was 19fps, and often it would drop to around 10 when im fighting skulks and even stutter down to 1 fps every couple minutes. I turned on the SLI indicator and it shows that the only time sli is ever working is on the main menu of the game but when im ingame its doing nothing, even my video card memory is only using about 800mbs out of 4 gigs.

I also joined another server with about 5 people in it and it had a average ping of 88 and my fps in there was around 40fps.

-edit-

Just hosted my own server and after building up a full scale base with 2 bots on my team doing nothing my fps gradually declined to an average of 20fps again. So depending on how big the base is and how many players are on.
  • SlightSlight Join Date: 2011-06-29 Member: 107082Members
    edited June 2012
    I really like NS2, but I hope the devs have a real plan for this FPS issue. Its not some simple to solve problem; game companies put a lot of effort into building fast engines and performance heavily impacts their design decisions and final outcome. Its really not something you consider after your engine is built, which seems to be the sentiment here at Unknown Worlds.

Sure this is an alpha, but this is a very mature alpha and the engine itself looks like it has all its core features done. The renderer, scene graph, and all aren't going to likely see any major overhauls.

At this point in the game I find it pretty crazy that my quad core I7 + NVidia 560 Ti is adveraging 25 FPS and 20 fps in populated scenes. I'd also like to point out that I have EVERYTHING disabled. No AA, bloom, shadows, or anything. I have my resolution set to 1024x768 windowed mind you.

Again, my rig is high end. That means people with standard setups can't even play the game and you're really limited your audience then. Its all very concerning I really hope the devs find the bottlenecks in their engine and not that the engine design itself is slow.