Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 209

13»

Comments

• darkfictiondarkfiction Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75677Members
    Awesome Build,

But could you add the "F Keys" to join Marines/Aliens like in ns1? Ready rooms are tedious.
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    You could always just use "j1" for marines, or "j2" for aliens.
    As of now you can even bind it yourself :)
    (I'd assume it's ~ "bind j1 BUTTON")
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1941457:date=Jun 4 2012, 08:12 PM:name=Smasher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Smasher @ Jun 4 2012, 08:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941457"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You could always just use "j1" for marines, or "j2" for aliens.
    As of now you can even bind it yourself :)
    (I'd assume it's ~ "bind j1 BUTTON")<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The other way around, it's in the patch notes.

bind F1 j1
    bind F2 j2
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited June 2012
    Does anyone know if there's a separate key for mwheelup and mwheeldown yet? Thus far they've been 1 key.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2012
    I think you totally deserve a mention/interview/preview on Rock Paper Shotgun...
    Every anemic Kickstarter fad gets its own feature there, but I haven't read anything about NS2 there in several months (if not years).

Heck, right now they are whipping everyone into a buying frenzy for the upcoming X-COM games...
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That's because we've been waiting many (many) years for a proper X-Com :P
    Man I loved that game...
  • SaioSaio Join Date: 2012-06-04 Member: 152934Members
    Oh... I made my way on the forums, since I can't stand marines anymore.

Usually I play only marines, because it's way more challenging than aliens. Why? Cause aliens are ridiculously overpowered. It already begins with the fact that while the alien commander sits back and builds some stuff to get ressources, marines get skulk rushed over and over again. If there are not enough marines on one point of the map, the res tower is down in 10 seconds. Marines have absolutely no chance to keep up with aliens or even catch up (made me lol). The whole gameplay is totally broken and there is not a spark of balance anymore. The only marine teams that can win, are this teams that know each other and set up a match themselves marines vs. aliens, mostly in private servers.
    So in the last weeks I played just lost games with marines in public games. It already starts btw with the fact that most player don't wanna command, cause they fear the team rage. Because they know that they lose. The start of a game on marine side looks like this: 6 players are joining. Everybody is running in circles. Some people go to res towers. After 1 minute "we have no comm" - "I can't comm"/"I'm way better aiming"/"I have no mic". After 3 minutes marines are already far behind. Oh, and I forgot: After 1:30 latestly the first skulk rush.

So I played some games myself on alien side. Wow. It's so easy to kill. To pwn. To win. Had an Onos in 9 minutes (guess that's late though!) and together with some lerks the marine base was down in seconds.

Oh. Did I mention that the lerk bite is ridiculously op? And when I watched the video and heard that it would do dot (damage over time) I could only laugh.
    I know this game is beta. But check out the video of B209. Just blabla about making aliens even faster, stronger, more "enjoyable". What about marines? A DEBUFF. Nerfed the GL to the old NS1 version, so youre now absolutely delivered to close combat attacks. It's a joke tbh. I know. Beta, beta, beta. But I already paid for it and I don't want to get ****** in the ass all the time, it is absolutely no fun to play marines and I can't stand this game anymore.

Super offensive post, excited about the alien-pro-comments.

Btw: First I wanted to post the suggestion:"Aliens OP. Solution: Remove aliens", but that would be to easy I guess.
  • SkiTSkiT Join Date: 2012-05-22 Member: 152452Members
    edited June 2012
    +1 this build it's a joke.. Marines win need a lot of good aim players, very good team play, good comm, and bad Aliens teamplay.. Aliens win it's too easy.. Lerk op(more dangerous then fade).. Onos in 5 minutes.. Spam whips everywhere (to powerful too).. Need nobody to build something.. Spam cysts... If the devs keep this way this game it's going be Aliens vs marines bots.. Please make the 210 build balanced for the marines side.. Or continue to kill this game.. Ps: Sorry for my bad english..
  • cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
    I'm sure that once E3 is over we'll see some good progress again :)
  • SaioSaio Join Date: 2012-06-04 Member: 152934Members
    I'm curious anyways. They show B209 on the E3. I hope for the best...
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1941638:date=Jun 5 2012, 11:27 AM:name=Saio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Saio @ Jun 5 2012, 11:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941638"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Usually I play only marines, because it's way more challenging than aliens. Why? Cause aliens are ridiculously overpowered. It already begins with the fact that while the alien commander sits back and builds some stuff to get ressources, marines get skulk rushed over and over again. If there are not enough marines on one point of the map, the res tower is down in 10 seconds. Marines have absolutely no chance to keep up with aliens or even catch up (made me lol). The whole gameplay is totally broken and there is not a spark of balance anymore.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed. I played NS1 for years and I can't stand to play NS2 for more than a couple of rounds. It's not a fun game. I feel like the above quoted portion is a part of it.

I feel like map design is another reason. In NS1 the bigger maps really made the game play better. There were more hallways which created awesome skulk/marine gameplay and allowed a team to actually scout, intercept, or prepare for an incoming attack. In NS2 I feel like a room is under attack, almost nonstop, and the only way to really 'defend' is to just coordinate (read; scream/complain) over the mic to have a big counter rush to a different area of the map. Because, in NS2, the battles are so common I feel like my performance and death matter a lot less. In NS1 if I solo'ed two skulks I would usually have a chance to deal some kind of damage to their team, like taking down an RT. In NS2, if I solo two skulks there are two more a few seconds away.

I was excited when I first heard that NS2 would have smaller maps. I had thought, back in the NS1 days, that teams were uncoordinated and just rambo'ed around because of the size of the maps. After playing NS2, I realize teams are still uncoordinated and now the smaller maps just removes all the really cool parts of early/mid game NS.

Maybe I haven't played enough games but right now NS2 can't keep a long time fan's interest. Maybe I'm not the target audience, I don't know. There have been so many changes that I can't even make useful suggestions or even better pinpoint where I think NS2 could improve. Everything just feels wrong.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    I definitely agree about smaller maps. It's a game that really benefits from big maps (like most RTS games..)
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1941736:date=Jun 6 2012, 12:59 AM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Jun 6 2012, 12:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941736"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because, in NS2, the battles are so common I feel like my performance and death matter a lot less. In NS1 if I solo'ed two skulks I would usually have a chance to deal some kind of damage to their team, like taking down an RT. In NS2, if I solo two skulks there are two more a few seconds away.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I share this sentiment. In NS1 a reasonable estimate could be made of the odds of every conflict, things were exceedingly deterministic. This made it like it felt things really mattered, gameplay-timings were tight and the overal strategy contained very little overhead and allowed for surprising turn-arounds. In NS2 it feels so much more like fuzzy-logic, you just don't know if that marine is going to be able to kill that skulk (so much of this is down to performance\netcode\animation). Basically so little matters, simply because things are not reliable anymore, and you can no longer build your strategy around banking that a certain conflict will go a certain way, you will be stuck just going in a general direction with your upgrades and decisions, instead of exciting tech-rushes that can come out of nowhere.

It feels a lot like Combat frankly, with its slope-like gameplay, and that is not a compliment.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well yeah aliens are overpowered, they've got their onos and new upgrades.
    Marines will get there once they get heavy weapons and exo-suits :)
  • kuruptkurupt Join Date: 2005-03-24 Member: 46347Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited June 2012
    -- If you want to provide constructive feedback, we would love it. Otherwise, we won't. Fanatic has disagreements and provides useful posts, for example.
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My main concern is that whips seem far too powerful this build. Especially, their ability to throw grenades back at marines. They have terrifyingly accurate aim at any distance, making them (I'm not exaggerating) nearly impossible to kill in certain scenarios (except with ARCs).

Either make the damage that marines take from their own grenades less, or reduce the accuracy / frequency of whips being able to throw grenades back at us.

Cheers,
    Cody
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1941730:date=Jun 5 2012, 07:21 PM:name=Saio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Saio @ Jun 5 2012, 07:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941730"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm curious anyways. They show B209 on the E3. I hope for the best...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've been wondering about that, too. It would figure they break the balance even more right before a huge trade show.

Still, it sounds like they were cranking out fixes and tweaks till right before they left. Plus, they only have showings with the press, I believe. Either that, or they're off in a side room rather than on the floor, so the chances of masses seeing horrible class balance should be slim.

That being said, I do hope they make a smashing impression! I just look forward to them fixing this mess of a build once they're back and rested. :D
    Yeah balance won't be a big issue at E3, people who play in the booths / on the machines aren't there for a huge amount of time, there's usually a line or gawkers wanting to try it out and give it a whirl for themselves.
    Anyway my two cents :)
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1941760:date=Jun 6 2012, 02:53 AM:name=DarkATi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DarkATi @ Jun 6 2012, 02:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941760"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Either make the damage that marines take from their own grenades less, or reduce the accuracy / frequency of whips being able to throw grenades back at us.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually, whips throwing grenades back at the marine who fired them was removed. I guess it must have been done right after the last patch went out. So the whips will still knock the nades away, just not towards the marine.
    <!--quoteo(post=1941763:date=Jun 6 2012, 03:40 AM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Jun 6 2012, 03:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941763"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been wondering about that, too. It would figure they break the balance even more right before a huge trade show.
    Still, it sounds like they were cranking out fixes and tweaks till right before they left. Plus, they only have showings with the press, I believe. Either that, or they're off in a side room rather than on the floor, so the chances of masses seeing horrible class balance should be slim.
    That being said, I do hope they make a smashing impression! I just look forward to them fixing this mess of a build once they're back and rested. :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, first, balance really isn't that big of an issue at this kind of an event. PAX was definitely not a balanced perfect build by any means, but people playing still had a great time, were able to see a lot of cool stuff in the game, and in general just got a taste of what it could be. Even with perfect balance, the constant changeover of people during a single match, some without any knowledge of the game whatsoever, pretty much throws any kind of balance out the window, anyway.

Secondly, the section we are in is press only, by appointment, one to 2 people at a time, in a cubicle space that has only 4 laptops and no internet. So, we aren't able to show off full matches of NS2 other then previously recorded footage. It is really a meet and greet, to build awareness of the game, talk about what NS2 is, answer questions and show some stuff off in game within a 20 minute time slot.

But thanks for worrying about our showing being a disaster due to a "mess of a build" :P

--Cory
  • korvokorvo Join Date: 2009-11-19 Member: 69427Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2012
    I love the Lerk bite, the marine HUD and the new visual effects. I like this build.

Edit: Not to forget the possibility to bind keys. :)
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Please give Gorge some air-control next patch. Not much, but just a tiiiiny bit. Currently has zero. Makes jumping accurately a royal pain in the ass, since you always have to move full speed. Shouldn't really affect much anything. Just an annoyance.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    just a bug fix request.. a marine crouching and axing a cyst for example somehow hit skulks that come up right behind them
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2012
    yea that bug keeps rearing it's head every other patch it seems. But i guess the "while crouching" part didnt get fixed. Will report it again, thanks.
  • deaglecrazydeaglecrazy Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73106Members
    "print_bindings" in console doesn't do anything for me :(
  • TheFluffyDuckTheFluffyDuck Join Date: 2012-05-03 Member: 151480Members
    With regards to the GORGE.

POSITIVES:
    I like how the spit is now kind of useful
    Bilebomb thank goodness.
    Separating construction from PRES

NEUTRAL:
    Stuff dies when the player is no longer a gorge

NEGATIVE:
    Having to go and destory clogs manually, plain sucks!
    No aditional bonus for another hive. Means gorge cant compete later on.
    Some players prefer to stay gorge.