I found 208 skulk movement to be incredibly fun, now it's boring and makes playing skulk boring

paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
Am I the only one that really hates this change? skulk was so fun in 208 with the quick and snappy movements / jumps, now it feels like i'm running around on ice floor as a skulk, it's not just me is it?

Comments

• GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    The air control change was definitely needed. It was not good having skulks be able to keep all forward momentum during 180 jumps and 360 spins.

I think the wall jumping could use some work, though I don't think it is that bad in b209. I think celerity just trivializes all movement ability so everything looks bad in comparison.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Huge amounts of air control was just bad, getting punished for making bad movements/trajectories is how it should go- not sitting there and rolling ones' face on the keyboard while engaging a marine to win.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Doesn't bother me, I still seem to be able to kill marines 1v1 just fine. I do seem to jump over their heads alot though.
  • courtesybearcourtesybear Join Date: 2012-04-26 Member: 151085Members
    I agree that 208 skulks were fun, anything that is op is fun. However like gorgeous has stated, the change was definitely needed because skulks were too dam hard to kill as a marine, no matter how well you track them, it was one of those situations where an aimbot would be justified lol. This i believe was a large part of the reason why marines had such poor map control at the beginning especially in pub games, 1 v 1 a skulk, you usually die, sometimes even 2 or 3 marines couldnt take down a skulk.
  • DrFlammableDrFlammable Join Date: 2012-04-18 Member: 150705Members
    yep, i skulked all the time in 208 skipping fade and even onos half the time despite having enough res because playing skulk was fast paced and fun. it's way less fun now to the point where i'd rather play gorge early. maybe make celerity give 208 level air control back or something.
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    edited June 2012
    +1 to OP.

I know the devs worked long and hard to refine the skulk movement. Then they nerfed the hell out of it to force everyone to use celerity... which is overall a terrible upgrade with how it is currently implemented. But I am starting to sound like a broken record now.

It wasn't "OP" the games performance needs to go up is all. That's the only reason we couldn't hit the skulks.. that and the fact that they added no penalty for bad movement on the player like people above me said.

They reduced the skulk jump velocity by a factor of about 4 if my calculations are correct. This makes evading marines with skulkjump a thing of the past.

I'm friends with a few internal testers and all 3 of them said they argued against the skulk movement changes and thought they weren't good for the gameplay. UWE just wanted to do it their way though... it's going to come at the cost of making players lose interest and enjoyment for this rediculous "experiment". We have playtesters for a reason. If their opinions aren't valid and they play the game more than most people... then whose is?

People actually made account on this forum just to post about how bad this movement is... like some of the people above me.

Open your eyes and mind UWE. This isn't good at all. I also want to say that even though this is a "beta" people paid for this beta and to them the game is already out. It doesn't matter that you slapped beta on the front of the game. It's public and playable for your hard earned cash. Balancing and playtesting needs to be taken much more seriously.

We are all promoting this game for UWE and showing our friends these builds trying to get them to buy the game. Every build should be solid and not a complete grab bag experiment. It's harming the image of the game. It is already popular enough now that this type of stuff is unacceptable.

Within 45 seconds of me loading up the new build I knew it was horribly out of balance. This amazed me. I know the devs are excited about getting these builds out and are on a time crunch but would it have killed them to wait a few days to properly playtest and tweak the values of things?
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    So there are 2 arguments being waged on these forums it seems, the air control argument and the wall jump argument. ADHD seems like you were ok with the air control nerf but upset at the wall jump nerf?

I feel that people get the two confused.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm still getting used to the changes in B209, but I must admit the B208 skulk walljump + air control did feel pretty good. The issue for me is that the skulks body is just too large for its camera view, making it feel like I'm trying to steer a jumping semi-truck. Either I miss time the connection with the wall (either too early or too late) or I hit the wrong angled part of the wall (i.e. I want to walljump forward, but instead I'm sent sideways or backwards).

B208's walljump + air control made up for the unwieldness of the skulk. A miss timed jump slowed you down, but not to normal walking speed. Hitting the wall at the wrong angle sapped some of your momentum, but you could still steer in the direction you wanted via the air control.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1940968:date=Jun 1 2012, 07:31 PM:name=.ADHd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (.ADHd @ Jun 1 2012, 07:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940968"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I also want to say that even though this is a "beta" people paid for this beta and to them the game is already out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No offense, Adhd, but I'm just so confused how that mistake is anyone but the individual's fault for forgetting what they are playing?

Promise i mean no disrespect, but that just doesn't seem like a problem that the developers can fix, as i think they make it as clear as humanly possible what type of development this is? I think we all agree that having a giant "BETA" at the top right of your screen like some major companies do is definitely not a preferable option.. So what do you think would help? Because i tend to agree with you, especially after reading your thread that you made regarding wanting more polish before reaching the public, i think we definitely need to make it more clear what to expect and what roles are intended for all parties as the beta title doesn't seem to be doing it.
    Brainstorm time.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Usually less air control comes with more speed (or rather high speed comes with reduced air control); you go fast but it's harder to turn and you need to plan your trajectory on the map.

So maybe top speed (wall jump bonus) should have been increased instead of decreased when the air control was reduced.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2012
    Air control still feels weird to me in b209, probably also because jumps now always add forward momentum, which is most likely a mistake in the implementation.
    Try this: strafe walk forward (i.e. W+A or W+D) and then start jumping. You will no longer move in a straight line if you jump.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1941053:date=Jun 2 2012, 09:02 AM:name=Dghelneshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dghelneshi @ Jun 2 2012, 09:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941053"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Air control still feels weird to me in b209, probably also because jumps now always add forward momentum, which is most likely a mistake in the implementation.
    Try this: strafe walk forward (i.e. W+A or W+D) and then start jumping. You will no longer move in a straight line if you jump.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, that is weird. I still think removing air control is a good way to go. It adds much more skill into CQC skulk movement. I think b209 is much better for the marine vs skulk dynamic because you don't have skulks spamming jump and doing 360s at 7+ speed in melee range. If you mindlessly hit jump now, you're going to overshoot marines and they're going to have half a second of good firing time.
  • Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1941006:date=Jun 2 2012, 12:47 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Jun 2 2012, 12:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941006"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No offense, Adhd, but I'm just so confused how that mistake is anyone but the individual's fault for forgetting what they are playing?

Promise i mean no disrespect, but that just doesn't seem like a problem that the developers can fix, as i think they make it as clear as humanly possible what type of development this is? I think we all agree that having a giant "BETA" at the top right of your screen like some major companies do is definitely not a preferable option.. So what do you think would help? Because i tend to agree with you, especially after reading your thread that you made regarding wanting more polish before reaching the public, i think we definitely need to make it more clear what to expect and what roles are intended for all parties as the beta title doesn't seem to be doing it.
    Brainstorm time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think people are just frustrated that the game was not really fun at all in the last few builds because of the massive imbalances and other issues.

When I started the beta in the 190's, the problem was that fade was ending the game after second hive easily. Then it was the lerk, then the onos.

Once we start having an average of about 30 minute games where teams are not just turtling, you'll see a lot less complaining on the forums.

I've had some very fun games so far in build 209 playing both marines and aliens, but I think the only reason the Onos/power node rush around 12 minutes is not happening is because people want to try out the Lerk, which is pretty good (still want projectile or semi-projectile momentum spores re-tried).

I don't care if the skulk is "less fun" to play because the fade was way more fun to play in 190's builds but it was breaking the game. THe onos with Superman Stomp was fun to play but it also broke the game. People need to look at the larger picture of how entire games play out before going crazy.
  • havok?havok? Join Date: 2012-05-22 Member: 152462Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I'd like to not have to buy an engagement ring for my jump arcs.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    the walljump change was unnecessary and definitely not the way to balance walljump. what you needed was to have a steeper curve for diminishing returns on the walljumping or to make the timing window more precise the faster you're going, so that in order to get insane speeds you need insane skills.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1941240:date=Jun 3 2012, 03:49 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Jun 3 2012, 03:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941240"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the walljump change was unnecessary and definitely not the way to balance walljump. what you needed was to have a steeper curve for diminishing returns on the walljumping or to make the timing window more precise the faster you're going, so that in order to get insane speeds you need insane skills.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, that's ridiculous. Even the b209 walljump gives a greater boost than the ns1 bunnyhop, and people still cried about that being OP.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1941242:date=Jun 3 2012, 10:58 AM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Jun 3 2012, 10:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941242"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, that's ridiculous. Even the b209 walljump gives a greater boost than the ns1 bunnyhop, and people still cried about that being OP.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah, but the ns2 skulk is bigger and slower than the ns1 skulk. so it needs it.