New forum features?

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Hey everyone,

We're reworking our forums around here. Our Invision install is so old and we want to get more current. We also want to make sure the forums are hosted in the cloud so we don't ever have to worry about them going down.

I love the <a href="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/" target="_blank">Diablo 3</a> and the <a href="http://forums.penny-arcade.com/" target="_blank">Penny Arcade</a> forums personally. Are there any other forums you think are good examples for features, layout, etc. Or are there any features or attributes you'd like in the new forums?

Comments

• PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    The ability to check a list of replies/quoting of your posts by other members would be nice (someone mentioned this before). Vote up/down threads/users is a common feature as well.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    blizzard has a decent layout but this is still one of the better ones I've ever been a part of. and I've been foruming for over 12 years now. don't change too much!
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    The dev tracker features on the LOL forums are awesome definitely would love to see that on here...
  • WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    edited May 2012
    I like the Penny Arcade forum software as well. As I mentioned in the twitter thread last week, I think the forum software that <a href="http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php" target="_blank">xim3.com</a> has a lot of really nice features also. I especially like the fact that the XIM3 forums shows you what threads have new posts and you can click the "New" icon next to the thread and pick up right where you left off. It also allows you to build an ignore list so you can ignore trolls or caustic personalities, etc.

ETA: The Diablo 3 forums look nice, but I don't like the fact that it doesn't scale to widescreen monitors. Almost half the screen real estate is wasted with the empty space on the left and right sides. UW, Penny Arcade, and XIM3 forums scale dynamically to the monitor width which is a big issue for me.
  • Albe23Albe23 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149272Members
    Chat box: they are quite entertaining.

Like my other post said, I would like to see new replys to my posts.
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Keep it simple please. No unnecessary changes.

If all of the current forum features worked, it would already be fine.
  • gage_czgage_cz Join Date: 2010-01-23 Member: 70271Members
    edited May 2012
    Tripwire Interactive (Red Orchestra game) have very good forum. Simple, old fashioned but highly functional (dev tracker features included, Vote up/down...)

I like it a lot. Check it out.

<a href="http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70" target="_blank">http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70</a>
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    - Keep it <b>simple</b> and functional.
    - No up/down votes, that's really stupid.
    - List of new thread/responses.
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1936509:date=May 16 2012, 04:53 AM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ May 16 2012, 04:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936509"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Keep it <b>simple</b> and functional.
    - No up/down votes, that's really stupid.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed
  • flyjumflyjum Join Date: 2012-01-07 Member: 139849Members
    I prefer simple but with more sections so things are easier to find.

Should have
    <b>Official Announcements</b>
    News about the game, patches or unknownworlds itself
    <i>Patch notes subforum(I know they are listed but it would be nice to just have them all listed easy to view on the forum)</i>

<b>General NS2 Discussion</b>
    This would be for stuff that does not fit in the other sub sections
    <i>No sub forums</i>

<b>Strategy Section</b>
    This way its easy to find how other people are playing the game and learn new strategies
    <i>Alien subforum
    Marine subforum</i>

<b>Technical Support</b>
    This will include server issues, bugs, exploits, install issues, glitches,
    <i>Server problem subforum
    Bug report subforum</i>

<b>Competitive Play</b>
    For players looking for teams and for tournament discussion/setup
    <i>Teams looking for players subforum
    Gameplay/frag subforum
    Tournament discussion subforum</i>

<b>Suggestions</b>
    This will include all idea including forum ideas

<b>Off topic section</b>
    Stuff not related to ns2 like computer hardware or anything really

I know most of that stuff is already in but was just typing away.

I like the idea of separate sections(this forum has them but its just 3 separating ns1/ns2 and other)
    Popular topic tracker
    Chat box
    Simple way/easy link to buy the game

I find that this forum has a great layout and the software he is using is nice
    It has a really good alert system if someone replies to your thread or post it lets you know
    <i>Not trying to plug anyones forum here just showing a layout</i>

<a href="http://www.squadtd.com/forum/" target="_blank">http://www.squadtd.com/forum/</a>

One last thing
    Why does the topics on this forum get SO many views but so view posts?
    We have like 500~ guest users at all times
    Need those people to sign up and start posting
  • DualSightDualSight Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72909Members
  • bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1936509:date=May 16 2012, 03:53 AM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ May 16 2012, 03:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936509"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Keep it <b>simple</b> and functional.
    - No up/down votes, that's really stupid.
    - List of new thread/responses.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Also, there should finally be a <b>Server</b> Forum.
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    This forum is also good. There is a good sentence to explain all things here

"Simplify, Simplify, Simplify - Thoreu
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Don't care what you do as long as you keep the dark colors. I already spend way too much time staring at light background on a screen, I'd prefer not to do it on the forum as well.
  • WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1936578:date=May 16 2012, 02:34 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ May 16 2012, 02:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936578"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't care what you do as long as you keep the dark colors. I already spend way too much time staring at light background on a screen, I'd prefer not to do it on the forum as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I agree with ScardyBob. Please keep the current color scheme.
  • persoperso Join Date: 2003-02-19 Member: 13740Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited May 2012
    Suggestion: please try to keep the number of "sticky" threads at minimum.

Currently, when you land on the "General Discussion" sub-forum most of the screen estate is filled with "sticky" threads, which can be quite old and uninteresting for not-so-new forum users.

Could we instead have only a couple of neatly organized "sticky" threads which contain all of that information. For example: one thread for new comers etc.? It would make the forum look more organized.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Whatever you do don't mirror the IGN boards. Thank you!