Been out of the loop for a LONG time

GhozerGhozer Join Date: 2003-05-22 Member: 16617Members, Constellation
I'm not sure how many (if any) of you know or remember me from back in the NS1 days, but when I heared about NS2 I pre-ordered straight away!

Through various life issues and problems since then, I have been out of the loop and i'm looking for someone to summarise the important stuff, and save me looking through ~2 years of posts!

What i'm wondering is who is still around from the old community?

Whats the current state of Ns2? (I have read bits, and the most recent changes but some of it doesnt help lol)

Anyone still play NS1?

Any of the old clans still around? (I used to play on YOclan loads)

And well, anything else you think I might want, or need to know!! :)

-- See you in game soon! :)

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Welcome back Ghozer! :-)

I'm Obraxis from YO Clan. We're still around, we'll be putting up an NS2 server soon-ish.

NS2 right now is very much fun to play (despite what some trolls say) and is in a constant state of development with weekly, or bi-weekly patches. Performance is improving, but you will need an average gaming setup to play right now.

Hope to see you on the servers!
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    hey man, it's unfair to categorize people who have had negative experiences as "trolls."

having played through the entire alpha and beta thus far, i can see why some people are frustrated.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    regarding NS2:

Aliens have all lifeforms in, but no tier 3 abilities (and no DI atm, cysts as replacement)
    Marines are mostly complete besides exosuit and some upgrades I guess
    Performance is absolutly terrible;
    -> servers only run with oc-ed high end hardware and still lag, client performance is affected by the servers
    -> you need high end hardware (mostly overclocked high end CPU) to run ns2 at somewhat acceptable framerates (which still seem to be bad)
    Hitregistration is poor, game has bad responsiveness atm
    Balance still requires a lot of work, but it is updated weekly either for the better or not...
    Can be fun to play if you don't mind the problems so much
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Welcome back Ghozer! It's wonderful to see another NS1 veteran back in the community, except it means inexperienced wippersnappers like me need to watch our backs in game even more!
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1935289:date=May 10 2012, 11:50 PM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ May 10 2012, 11:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1935289"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 right now is very much fun to play (despite what some trolls say) and is in a constant state of development with weekly, or bi-weekly patches. Performance is improving, but you will need an average gaming setup to play right now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1935343:date=May 11 2012, 05:00 AM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ May 11 2012, 05:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1935343"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hey man, it's unfair to categorize people who have had negative experiences as "trolls."

having played through the entire alpha and beta thus far, i can see why some people are frustrated.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, I'd really appreciate if head of playtesting and forum moderator didn't post that way. People have been pretty damn patient in giving UWE almost 3 years of extra development time, I think they have every right to demand solutions and results at this point.

There's no need to roll over in self pity and regret because of the complaints NS2 receives, but downplaying them without any particular reason seems pretty cheap to me also.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    The fun part about the game right now it that it's changing a lot, so you need to relearn and adapt the strategy each build, the teams that can abuse the new balance problems before the others can have a nice advantage.

But if a build stays for too long it can become a bit boring, once people explored the new possibilities and found the best build orders, all the games become the same. There is not so much strategic depth right now, specially on the alien side, so this process can be pretty fast.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    NS2 right now is very much frustrating to play (despite what some fanboys say) and is in a constant state of failure with weekly, or bi-weekly fails. Performance is very poor, and you will need a monster gaming setup to play right now.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1935343:date=May 11 2012, 05:00 AM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ May 11 2012, 05:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1935343"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hey man, it's unfair to categorize people who have had negative experiences as "trolls."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1935373:date=May 11 2012, 10:03 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ May 11 2012, 10:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1935373"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, I'd really appreciate if head of playtesting and forum moderator didn't post that way. People have been pretty damn patient in giving UWE almost 3 years of extra development time, I think they have every right to demand solutions and results at this point.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you read my post, I never said anything of the sort. I said "some trolls". That doesn't mean everyone. Yes some people do not enjoy the game, that's their opinion and is just as valid. I was merely stating my own opinion and that of numerous others who enjoy the game, as the forums are taking on more and more of a negative tone of late.

It would be nice if members of the community who have been here the longest, actually welcomed people back to the world of NS2 rather than put them off with their negativity.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Welcome back!

If you already own NS2 the best way to get an idea of the game is to just jump right into a server and get playing. Maybe I'll see you in a server sometime soon!
  • MzMzMzMz Join Date: 2006-10-23 Member: 58087Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1935289:date=May 11 2012, 07:50 AM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ May 11 2012, 07:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1935289"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Performance is improving, but you will need an average gaming setup to play right now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

LOL You hit the jackpot again! Can't wait to see your next one!
  • ixnayixnay Join Date: 2012-04-14 Member: 150449Members
    Hey Ghozer

NS1 is still superior and you still have a full server in euro land and two in Usanialand

As for NS2, you need an i7 overclocked and a DX 11 generation graphics card, and even then you can still have less than 40 FPS

Welcome back

PS. These guys wasted loads of money on pax AND plushies, UWE can learn something here, - <a href="http://us.merchstore.ncsoft.com/uk/accessories/guild_wars_2_charr_plush.php" target="_blank">http://us.merchstore.ncsoft.com/uk/accesso...charr_plush.php</a>
  • TrueVeritasTrueVeritas Join Date: 2006-10-20 Member: 58082Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1935289:date=May 10 2012, 05:50 PM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ May 10 2012, 05:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1935289"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 right now is very much fun to play (despite what some trolls say) and is in a constant state of development with weekly, or bi-weekly patches. Performance is improving, but you will need an average gaming setup to play right now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Second opinion:

NS2 is not very much fun to play at the moment. Performance is improving, but you'll need a great computer to play at satisfying framerates right now.
  • TrueVeritasTrueVeritas Join Date: 2006-10-20 Member: 58082Members
    edited May 2012
  • ixnayixnay Join Date: 2012-04-14 Member: 150449Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1935389:date=May 11 2012, 03:03 AM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ May 11 2012, 03:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1935389"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you read my post, I never said anything of the sort. I said "some trolls". That doesn't mean everyone. Yes some people do not enjoy the game, that's their opinion and is just as valid. I was merely stating my own opinion and that of numerous others who enjoy the game, as the forums are taking on more and more of a negative tone of late.

It would be nice if members of the community who have been here the longest, actually welcomed people back to the world of NS2 rather than put them off with their negativity.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_(public_relations)" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_(public_relations)</a>

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Techniques

The techniques of spin include:
    Selectively presenting facts and quotes that support one's position (cherry picking)
    Non-denial denial
    Phrasing in a way that assumes unproven truths
    Euphemisms to disguise or promote one's agenda
    "Burying bad news": announcing one popular thing at the same time as several unpopular things, hoping that the media will focus on the popular one.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Obraxis is a professional
  • TheIcarusKidTheIcarusKid Join Date: 2012-03-23 Member: 149258Members
    Well... as a hardcore NS1 vet and only ~6 weeks into NS2, I can say it's fun as hell. Definitely understand the frustrations of people that have been around for a long time, but if you're new, you're going to have a blast. :)
  • Fluid CoreFluid Core Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63260Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have a 2½ year old i5 and a radeon 4850, and the game is smooth enough to play, so you don't need any monster computer to be able to play.
    I have a GeForce GTX 460 with a AMD Phenom X3 2.6 GHz processor and 4 gigs of RAM. Get about 15-20 FPS on 1024x768 with Ridiculously Awful graphics.

Any advice for how I could get better performance with the most bang for my buck? Where do you think the bottleneck is?
  • RoverRover blargh Join Date: 2003-09-23 Member: 21139Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1935802:date=May 13 2012, 03:46 AM:name=TheIcarusKid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheIcarusKid @ May 13 2012, 03:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1935802"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have a GeForce GTX 460 with a AMD Phenom X3 2.6 GHz processor and 4 gigs of RAM. Get about 15-20 FPS on 1024x768 with Ridiculously Awful graphics.

Any advice for how I could get better performance with the most bang for my buck? Where do you think the bottleneck is?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The game's bottleneck, both server- and clientside seems to be single core CPU clock rate. Try setting the visuals to a different setting and see if it makes much of a performance difference.
    I have the visuals on Medium sometimes and it is mostly the same, but crowded rooms still make it worth it to knock it down to awful.
  • GhozerGhozer Join Date: 2003-05-22 Member: 16617Members, Constellation
    Thanks guys!! :)

It's great to see that YO are still around, I just wish I still had access to my old NS1 PT account (it got hacked way back....) and wish I had been involved in the NS2 PT :(

I have jumped in game, not really actually sat and played much, but had a run around a couple of maps locally to get a feel for the game, and even on my old Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz, with nVidia 8800 GS it plays fine on full res (1900x1200) and medium graphics, i'll give it a proper spin tonight..

:D
  • EvulALEvulAL Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16341Members, Constellation
    lol ghozer are you still a noob? :P
    I am reali new had a break from my pc for 6 years :) trying to get back into it