Pro Tips?

SaganSagan Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8346Members
<div class="IPBDescription">How to be better at the game.</div>Heya... old NS1 player just recently playing NS2... Looking for some pro tips in killing enemy players.

When I'm jumping around as a marine, i almost always get dead... but on the other hand when I'm a skulk and I got a marine jumping around, they usually kill me?

should I jump and strafe as a skulk alot? as a marine alot? Do ya guys Crouch when ya jump?

Any tips help.

Comments

• ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Marine players are reluctant to stop firing once they've started, but are less accurate when aiming upwards. Startle them then run up a wall, they will empty their clip and probably won't even hit you.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Don't sit down as a lerk, or roost on anything, it makes you far too easy of a target for any half-decent marine.
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    if youre an old ns1 vet, theres no bunnyhopping, but if you jump off a wall or ceiling, you get a speed boost as a skulk, and you can get further speed boosts by timing the successive jumps after that. for example, jump off the ceiling, to a wall, to the floor, and off the floor again, will get you cruising really fast as a skulk.

as a marine, its pretty much the same as ns1, just try to get better team mates or something
  • Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    Roll your face on your space bar as alien and aim in the direction of the marine as alien. As marine use your other soldiers as bait and try to sidepedal; don't backpedal because apparently it needs to make you go half speed.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Don't die theres a tip. But seriously as a skulk and your 1 on 1 with a marine use your alien vision. Its not a pro tip but currently it yields an advantage in your favor
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>Sagan:</b></u>

If you can land the bullets you only need to dodge a skulk for a short time before it should be dead

That said skulks are still a small target and even a single jump can move you completely out of an enemy crosshair

Play around with it. . . Once you learn the "skulk dance" you'll start going positive
  • tocztocz Join Date: 2012-02-12 Member: 145070Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1933809:date=May 5 2012, 08:16 PM:name=Champlo0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Champlo0 @ May 5 2012, 08:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933809"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Roll your face on your space bar as alien and aim in the direction of the marine as alien. As marine use your other soldiers as bait and try to sidepedal; don't backpedal because apparently it needs to make you go half speed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+100 for the alien pro tip. Another pro tip is to work on thumb strength and get a keyboard with extra large space bar.
  • flyjumflyjum Join Date: 2012-01-07 Member: 139849Members
    skulks take around 10 shots to kill

Its hard to aim sometimes but you need to be quick
    You can also butt them with your gun
    Use headphones if you dont have any you will never be able to play good(or use a surround sound same thing)
    Chase down onos always if they are running away you will never kill them if you let them just run
    Try to stay with someone else at all times
    Dont worry about kill to death this is not call of duty
    You can be more useful killing off alien buildings or cysts ect vs just charging in trying to get a kill
    This is a resource based game
    Mines are very useful around vents or high traffic areas early game

As a skulk
    You can shift to be silent and bite a marine who is building
    Do not run straight at anyone always be strafing to one side
    Use leap to get up close to them or go past them a little so they have to turn around(which messes their aim up)
    Make sure you always get your upgrades when you spawn they help a ton(i prefer silence over anything as skulk)

If you gorge heal up any alien that comes by as they are most likely by you for a reason
    Also put hydras on the roof or inside walls not just right on the ground
    As onos use stomp to clear mine and knock down enemies
    Target the power nodes as the onos is OP when he is killing the main base power

I would not try commanding until you know the upgrade paths for each team
  • SaganSagan Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8346Members
    Awesome advice guys.... i'm slowly trying to insert it into my gameplay... Quick question... What mouse Sensitivity do ya guys use? and do you change it depending on your team?
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    my sensitivity is set directly in the middle where the word mouse is in inverted mouse right below the bar, allows for much better precision against skulks and lerks. i probably could bump it up a notch as alien but i just keep it as is.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Keep a middling distance between yourself and your team mates as marine, it is a lot easier to pick off a skulk at medium range than one thats dashing around your feet.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Watch twitch.tv, that is the best advice.

Learn each level so you know it thoroughly.

Also make sure you know exactly what everything does and what it effects.

Once you start to understand the game, you instinctively start to know where to move, how to act and what to do.
  • flyjumflyjum Join Date: 2012-01-07 Member: 139849Members
    Make sure mouse pointer precision is OFF in windows this will really screw with you
    if you have windows 7 search mouse go to pointer options turn it off and see the mouse speed according to how you like it
    Adjust in game after that
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1934050:date=May 6 2012, 06:47 PM:name=flyjum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (flyjum @ May 6 2012, 06:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934050"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Make sure mouse pointer precision is OFF in windows this will really screw with you
    if you have windows 7 search mouse go to pointer options turn it off and see the mouse speed according to how you like it
    Adjust in game after that<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can you explain why this would screw with me? Never heard of anyone modifying this option...
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    Be careful of following a marine around in mid-combat, he might be leading you to a mine!
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1934058:date=May 6 2012, 10:33 PM:name=Ryne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryne @ May 6 2012, 10:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934058"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can you explain why this would screw with me? Never heard of anyone modifying this option...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

in a nutshell, with precision on the mouse changes it's speed when you're accelerating or stopping. with it off, the mouse pointer is totally in your control.
  • rafaelwinston23rafaelwinston23 Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151648Members
    edited July 2012
    thanks for sharing

I'm too a new player and I found the tips in this thread invaluable. Another question though - How do you manage the lerk? It's the clumsiest thing I've tried to control ever. If I get within line of sight of a couple marines I get shot down in the blink of an eye even when I try to mimic the typical hit and run bile bomb strafe attack, while they are next to impossible to hit when I'm playing marine.
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1934083:date=May 7 2012, 02:04 AM:name=Rowen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rowen @ May 7 2012, 02:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934083"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm too a new player and I found the tips in this thread invaluable. Another question though - How do you manage the lerk? It's the clumsiest thing I've tried to control ever. If I get within line of sight of a couple marines I get shot down in the blink of an eye even when I try to mimic the typical hit and run bile bomb strafe attack, while they are next to impossible to hit when I'm playing marine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Its not an easy class, especially not right now. You die very very quickly. I recommend carapace and regen for that extra bit of survivability. Travel with teammates. Keep moving, don't perch or stay in one place for too long.
  • profjekyllprofjekyll Join Date: 2012-04-07 Member: 150070Members
    As a Marine, when you move out let one of your teammates go first and then keep aiming at his feet. He's sure to get a skulk their soon.

If you are first, ask your teammates to aim at your feet. You'll appreciate it soon.
  • C.AdventC.Advent Join Date: 2012-04-09 Member: 150135Members
    <u><b>Skulk:</b></u>
    If possible, try to ambush and sneak.
    When in open combat against marines, make sure you have decent speed by walljumping. Climb walls and make sure you get out of line of sight from the marines at times, keep your distance. Marines who start firing generally keep on firing till they run out of ammo. By staying at a distance and not predictably constantly trying to close the distance they will have huge problems hitting you and will start running out of ammo. That is when you attack.

When actively engaging, you need speed and unpredictability.
    You gain speed by walljumping, but it can make your movements more predictable. Experiment for a balance that suits you, and I recommend practicing on walljump bunnyhopping.
    When you manage to close the distance, it becomes hard for both marine and skulk to keep visuals on each other. The goal here is to keep track of the marine while making the marine lose track of you. Generally I do this by toning down on the jumping (aiming at your feet if hard as a marine, and jumping might confuse yourself as much as the marine) and instead rely on strafing in circles around the marine while picking my shots. - I see a lot of skulks just charging forward and getting treated like a bull versus a matador, don't go too wild.
    If you lose sight of the marine, don't keep on biting blindly and run around like a fool, move away while using evading tactics like walljumping so that you can get your bearings again. This also will confuse the marine, and he will most likely still be shooting at his own feet.

On the matter of alien vision, myself I find it hard to gauge the distance so I turn it off when engaging allowing me to land more bites. This might just be me though...

<u><b>Lerk</b></u>: I'll admit, I haven't played much since the speed nerf. However I still reckon this will work decently. Basically it comes down to this; While flying forward, i.e. not strafing, move the mouse so that you "bob and weave" flying up, down and side to side and try to fly behind objects that break the Line Of Sight.

<u><b>Fade:</b></u> Really, only shotguns are a threat against fades. Like the with the rifle, marines with a shotgun fire as soon as, and whenever they can. So the trick is to time your blinks so that you blink just before he is able to fire again, making him miss. This also works 1v2 if they are standing close then their firing will be synced, and if they are far apart only the one marines shotgun blasts will be powerful enough to really hurt you. If they are keeping a moderate distance between each other they can be dangerous, that is when you have to resort to more a more tactical gameplay, using corners and hit and run style.

<u><b>Marine VS Skulk:</b></u>
    A skulk who ambushes, leaps or walljumps well is more or less going to win, that is why you don't go solo.
    Going up against a skulk, there really are only a few tips I can give: Don't waste bullets, when a skulk gets close jump away to the side, but don't jump more than once because it takes away too much movement. If lose track of the skulk, you try to run and jump to obstacles and get your bearings, much like I do when playing the skulk myself.
    <b>Shift-Running away from skulks I feel is underrated, especially if you have backup, then it is pretty much an I-Win button.</b>

Some skulks are just incredibly hard to hit, if you see a skulk moving fast and wild like a pro, I recommend considering swapping to the AXE. Yeah you heard me, axe does 30(?) damage, assuming someone manages to put a few bullets in the skulk already, you will often come out on top. Most skulks aren't used to facing axing marines and underestimate the damage it does. If you have commander support in form of medpacks and nano-shield the axe becomes one of the most powerful weapons marines have versus skulks, I have won a number of 1v3 skulks this way.

That's all from me, I hope it can be of help for someone. Keep in mind, this is how I play, and while I find I do pretty well in games, this is by no way the only, or the best way to play.
  • BiglinesBiglines Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24094Members, Constellation
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1934058:date=May 7 2012, 03:33 AM:name=Ryne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryne @ May 7 2012, 03:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934058"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can you explain why this would screw with me? Never heard of anyone modifying this option...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It used to be called mouse acceleration, and it was one of the first things any pro would turn off in ANY competitive fps game. It's great for webbrowsing or office jobs, but not much use beyond that.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1934083:date=May 7 2012, 02:04 AM:name=Rowen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rowen @ May 7 2012, 02:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934083"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm too a new player and I found the tips in this thread invaluable. Another question though - How do you manage the lerk? It's the clumsiest thing I've tried to control ever. If I get within line of sight of a couple marines I get shot down in the blink of an eye even when I try to mimic the typical hit and run bile bomb strafe attack, while they are next to impossible to hit when I'm playing marine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Avoid groups of marines, unless you have backup, use the size of the room to your advantage. Your gas will descend upon a marine from any height, so you don't need to fly directly over his head. 1vs1 A marine is an easy target with your spikes, stay in the air, keep your distance and spike while trying to dodge his bullets (don't fly in a predictable pattern). Watch out for shotgun marines, never fly in close to one, two shots will kill you.

A healthy mix of gas and spike is the best for taking out marines. (I usually do a fly by first, then try to hit some with my spikes, rinse repeat.)
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited May 2012
    Lerk tips:

Fly around in circles while keeping the crosshair on the marine
    When a marine runs away, glide behind him in a straight line firing spikes
    Pay attention to who the good marine players are and don't get too close to them, especially if they have shotguns
    Work with skulks, fades and the onos: marines will usually target the alien that runs up to them and bites, so you can get lots of free shots in
    Fly ahead of other aliens and use spores as a screen so they can get close without being noticed
    Use spores to disable sentries while other aliens destroy structures.
    Don't fly in straight lines when a marine is targeting you
    Fly around and behind objects to break marine's line of sight on you
    Keep moving. Don't camp waiting for a moment to strike. Attack another area for a while until there's a better moment to strike where you wanted to
    Watch the minimap for marine ninjas breaking into your hive area. As a lerk you can cover the map very easily so remember that.
    Use bile bomb to break marine's armour, making them easier pickings for your sharp toothed friends
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Use bile bomb to break marine's armour, making them easier pickings for your sharp toothed friends<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As of build 207 bile bomb does corrode damage which does not affect players (except the exosuit). Unfortunately raining down puke from the skies on marines is no longer worth much. :(
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1934112:date=May 7 2012, 12:21 PM:name=Biglines)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Biglines @ May 7 2012, 12:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934112"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It used to be called mouse acceleration, and it was one of the first things any pro would turn off in ANY competitive fps game. It's great for webbrowsing or office jobs, but not much use beyond that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not entirely true. Many pros who played quake used mouse accel. I think the argument for turning it off is that you always need to move your mouse the same distance so it's easier to learn, but I think in practice you just get used to whatever you play with.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mouse Accel. was importan in 206 Lerk and still important as fade, skulk and onos when you charge.

As marine I deactivate it too.
  • -[420]-Hoegaarden-[420]-Hoegaarden Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151048Members
    As a skulks bite only when u know it should hit. Dont spam the bite.

Lerk fly in circles around them while u shoot down and if u see a skulk going in gas around him and the marines.

For fade just go kill there faces and run away if u get shot.

Onos group up and zerg them.

As a marine drop your pistol so you have a speed boost.
    Lead your target with the shotgun so u can actually hit it.
    Knife down a hive is the fastest way to kill a hive imo.
    Get shotguns early its the only way to deal with large number of skulks and not die.
    After 5 mins shotguns are not as usefull to the team because they have better aliens so get them early and make use of them.
    Check for cloaked drifters in corners of random hallways.
    If you are commander make sure to recycle a rt the second it started getting hit. Dont trust your team to save it because they wont.
    After shotguns get a armslab and upgrades. Dont try and take more rts then you have handle its a waste of time. I would rather wait on 2 rts and slowly get upgrades then place rts only to have them gone 30 seconds later.
    After that phase and jetpack is good. Flamethrowers and GLs seem pretty useless imo. Not worth a early game investment.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    every lerk tip here is gold, but i have to add that the two most important things above all as a lerk are:

1) Get out of the room before you die by keeping track of your health and the situation you are in intently and above all else, because a dead lerk is a waste of 30 res and will keep you from playing it again due to frustration. Your official role is the "harasser" so don't think your wings mean you own any room of marines.

2) The lerk dies quickly, once again, so this means that you must weave and bob beyond anything you've ever known, and not just in your egress but even if you choose to stick it out 1 vs 1 by hovering. Keeping yourself from being tracked <u>while </u>tracking him perfectly are both simultaneously crucial for your success.

just my 2 cents for the basics
  • Albe23Albe23 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149272Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1934275:date=May 7 2012, 09:03 PM:name=-[420]-Hoegaarden)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-[420]-Hoegaarden @ May 7 2012, 09:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934275"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    As a skulks bite only when u know it should hit. Dont spam the bite.

Lerk fly in circles around them while u shoot down and if u see a skulk going in gas around him and the marines.

For fade just go kill there faces and run away if u get shot.

Onos group up and zerg them.

As a marine drop your pistol so you have a speed boost.
    Lead your target with the shotgun so u can actually hit it.
    Knife down a hive is the fastest way to kill a hive imo.
    Get shotguns early its the only way to deal with large number of skulks and not die.
    After 5 mins shotguns are not as usefull to the team because they have better aliens so get them early and make use of them.
    Check for cloaked drifters in corners of random hallways.
    If you are commander make sure to recycle a rt the second it started getting hit. Dont trust your team to save it because they wont.
    After shotguns get a armslab and upgrades. Dont try and take more rts then you have handle its a waste of time. I would rather wait on 2 rts and slowly get upgrades then place rts only to have them gone 30 seconds later.
    After that phase and jetpack is good. Flamethrowers and GLs seem pretty useless imo. Not worth a early game investment.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 on speedboost
    +1 early shottys
    +10000000000000000000000000 on recycling rt's and the reason for it
    +1 Flames/GL being semi useless, more so for the flamer, the GL can be useful against things that don't move.....