201 build is unbalanced

Aaron_MerricAaron_Merric Join Date: 2012-03-20 Member: 149014Members
Everyone agrees on the servers I play on, 201 is unbalanced. If the goal was to make aliens overpowered, goal achieved. Where is exo?!

Comments

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Funny, because other people are saying the opposite that marines are overpowered and aliens were badly nerfed.
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1916745:date=Mar 23 2012, 03:43 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Mar 23 2012, 03:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916745"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Funny, because other people are saying the opposite that marines are overpowered and aliens were badly nerfed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

anecdotal evidence, but every game (5) i've played, aliens won.

It is to be expected...unlinking lifeforms to hives is HUGE (and good IMO), but will need some balancing.

edit: 7 games now, all alien wins. One was a close marine win due to their easy access jetpacks, but aliens bumrushed CC and won.
  • deaglecrazydeaglecrazy Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73106Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1916737:date=Mar 23 2012, 10:27 PM:name=Aaron_Merric)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aaron_Merric @ Mar 23 2012, 10:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916737"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Everyone agrees on the servers I play on, 201 is unbalanced. If the goal was to make aliens overpowered, goal achieved. Where is exo?!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Man have you checked out what they've changed? cost less for marines, cost less for marines and so on
    Aliens: less damage, more time to make, and so on
    Looks like you've been playing in servers with kick ass aliens ;)
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1916745:date=Mar 23 2012, 10:43 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Mar 23 2012, 10:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916745"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Funny, because other people are saying the opposite that marines are overpowered and aliens were badly nerfed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The way it should work, is marines have been buffed directly, with cheaper stuff, while aliens have been buffed indirectly, by simplifying their strategic play.

So, marines get better guns and stuff, but aliens get more options, with good aliens the aliens should do a lot better, but with average players marines should do better.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1916737:date=Mar 23 2012, 11:27 PM:name=Aaron_Merric)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aaron_Merric @ Mar 23 2012, 11:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916737"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Everyone agrees on the servers I play on, 201 is unbalanced. If the goal was to make aliens overpowered, goal achieved. Where is exo?!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The thing about a BETA is, everything is in flux. You try things to balance stuff, you change things until you hit the right beats and combos. A game such as NS2 is so complex, it takes time to get balance right. It took NS1 years to get to 3.2, which even then wasn't perfect.

This is why we need people such as yourself to help us. Tell us WHAT isn't balanced. Just stating that it isn't balanced doesn't help us improve the game.

And the Exo is being worked on and will be in the game when it's ready.
  • deaglecrazydeaglecrazy Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73106Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1916859:date=Mar 24 2012, 02:14 AM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Mar 24 2012, 02:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916859"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The thing about a BETA is, everything is in flux. You try things to balance stuff, you change things until you hit the right beats and combos. A game such as NS2 is so complex, it takes time to get balance right. It took NS1 years to get to 3.2, which even then wasn't perfect.

This is why we need people such as yourself to help us. Tell us WHAT isn't balanced. Just stating that it isn't balanced doesn't help us improve the game.

And the Exo is being worked on and will be in the game when it's ready.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not only this but many things are still to be added (such as upgrades for gorge), so ya they're not gonna make it 100 percent balanced now just to add more stuff then start over again haha
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited March 2012
    Alien have always won since i joined this beta in 180. Marines win with good comm and stacked teams :)
  • SepsSeps Join Date: 2012-03-23 Member: 149264Members
    The game will always be unbalanced without all the features of the game not being added into the game. Ex) Heavy Armor, and Heavy Machine Gun.

Plus this is BETA... if you didn't learn from last build (lerk having bile bomb) they're testing things..
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1916737:date=Mar 24 2012, 09:27 AM:name=Aaron_Merric)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aaron_Merric @ Mar 24 2012, 09:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916737"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Everyone agrees on the servers I play on, 201 is unbalanced. If the goal was to make aliens overpowered, goal achieved. Where is exo?!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You posted this a few hours after the patch was live. Why do people do this?
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I love that fades are unlinked and can only shadowstep. Their still kinda deadly but can be dealt with if you know how to dodge them.

The onos however having gore <b>stun</b> on one hive seems a bit problematic...!
  • CMarkCMark Join Date: 2012-03-23 Member: 149256Members
    edited March 2012
    I would like to ask something here. I can't really give any insight whether or not this patch made things unbalanced, I have only owned the game for about two days and played around five games where only one is from before build 201. So it would be nice for a real veteran of this game answer my question.

Is this game really unbalanced? This might seem really vague so let me try to explain this.

Let's compare two strategy games such as Dawn of War (the first) and Starcraft Broodwar.

Dawn of War offered a lot of different races. Nine in total if you had all the expansions installed. That game clearly had balancing issues. Some races was just stronger than others. For example, the Necrons, this race that was superior to all others upon launch, no question about it. A good necron player couldn't be defeated but would just steamroll all the others. No race really required you to be extra skilful at the game but some races still possessed a blatant advantage over others. This was due to how these races was built from the core.

Now let's take a game like BroodWar. It had three races and I believe that most people would agree that this game is really well balanced. However, to a newcomer it might not seem so. Why? Because some races are a little bit more difficult to play as in all fairness. Doing good with zerg required you to macro much more, constantly producing new stuff, keeping up the pressure. All races offers the same capabilities to win as the other, but some requires you to be much more involved to do good.

These examples are not from a pro level standard. But basic public play. I can reckon what I've said is not valid at that level of play.

So my question should be rephrased as this.

Is the game really unbalanced? Do the marines have the same capabilities to win as the aliens, and vice versa but one is more difficult to play as.

This is a sincere question I have, it isn't really relevant to this new patch but more in general. Again, please don't take this in the wrong way, I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm being completely honest here.
    If a side is more difficult to play as, but potentially as powerful, it's weaker. Assuming a normal distribtuion of player skill, the more difficult side will be weaker in practise because it will have fewer players capable of playing it at the level they need to in order to be as effective as the other side.
    That is the sort of reply I was hoping to see! It is true. You can't really compare a pure RTS such as Starcraft with NS2 since this game focus more on a team effort to win a round. If a few links are broken it wont matter if the rest are doing really well. In a 1v1 game there is only one player in the equation that dictates your performance and the outcome of the battle. Thanks for the reply!

I really love this community.
    edited March 2012
    I would say it even applies in starcraft, just because it's possible to win as a difficult side doesn't mean it's balanced, it just means the player is better at it.

At best, the sides could be so different as to be incommensurable, as in the skills required by the different sides are so different that it's hard to declare one player 'better' than the other. It'd be like comparing archers and random people with guns in a shooting contest, even if the gunmen kill all the archers, it's hard to declare them 'better' because the archers require far more training. They won, but does it make them better soldiers?

If one side is statistically less likely to be playable by your playerbase, it's a weaker side, because 'less likely to be playable by your playerbase' is how you work out whether a side is weak for any reason. If lots of people can't play it, it's considered weak. The ability of some players to win games with it doesn't make it less weak, or at the very least, there shouldn't be sudden jump from 'very few people play it therefore it's weak' to 'some people can play it therefore it's skilful and you're all noobs'.
    True.

As far I am aware all units in a game such as Starcraft can be countered in a "rock/paper/scissor" manner. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. With this considered one could deem something to be overpowered due to fact because it is more difficult to use. Although, I would say it is easier to claim a team to be overpowered in a game such as this due to a higher chance of human errors and the dynamic between you and your teammates.

In a game such as Starcraft all races have the same tools of victory, but some are more difficult to use. Does this make the game inbalanced? I don't think there is a definite answer to that. In the end it all boils down to your personal opinion on what is to be considered OP. I am really lenient myself and even if a game blatantly is OP I wont reall mind it. Just makes it more fun and challanging.

<b>Is it okay to talk about this in this thread though? I know that I kinda took the initiative and asked this question, but I didn't think it would be so fun to talk about it. I really don't want to hijack the thread for people that wants to discuss the new build.</b>
  • Albe23Albe23 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149272Members
    Onos with only two hives up is just bonkers. Basically game is over when 2nd hive goes up if aliens aren't slacking. Jet packs are not worth the rez, at least for me. They are slower than the new sprint speed, don't last long enough. Plus, on most maps you're confined and the ceiling is not friendly to jet packers. Shotgun is still frustrating, it is as if there is a delay from trigger pull to shot. Additionally being pump action is just a head scratcher. Have you guys tested a semi-auto version? Oh and thank you for fixing the pistol firing speed. So much better.
  • DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
    CMark:
    More simply explained, NS2 has never had a level of balance comparable to a released starcraft, except a couple times where balance swung around 45%/55% for either team. The balance changes are often stylistic, such as the "smoothening" of the tech trees for each race in this latest build. They're generally sweeping changes which grossly sway the balance of the game in either direction, usually pretty evenly across the entire distribution of player skill. New features are being implemented all the time that undo any fine balance that may be achieved. So yes, I would say that the races are truly unbalanced, because the game hasn't been developed into a proper arena for effort put towards a balanced product to persist.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    Also, the sky is falling.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1916769:date=Mar 24 2012, 12:01 AM:name=Ryne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryne @ Mar 24 2012, 12:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916769"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->anecdotal evidence, but every game (5) i've played, aliens won.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That excuse is just wrong...
    only because marines play bad, aliens are not op.
    take a look at the changelog, marines got a lot also very quick jetpacks...
    but flying through the map like flies, don't let marines win the game.
    i also saw 2 marines with shotguns and jp, rush one hive after 5 seconds it was dead, very alien was to late.
    But i am sure, the crying will continue...

<!--quoteo(post=1916918:date=Mar 24 2012, 04:42 AM:name=Arkanti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti @ Mar 24 2012, 04:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916918"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You posted this a few hours after the patch was live. Why do people do this?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Trolling, like the most "new" people do here...
    I can understand its hard the first time to play agianst aliens, but you have to learn how to play marines.
    its not just like in every shooter, shoot them and you win.
    You have to be tactical.
    I realy hope UWE don't notice the complainer.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    people tend to be quite conservative when it comes to tactics. it might take a bit until marines find a way to adress these changes, just killing the 2nd hive does not ensure a win anymore.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Palyed Alien, won ---> players cry Aliens OP
    Played Marine, won --> players cry Marines OP

1 or 2 players that play the game for over 1 year against newer players will almost always result in a win for the team that has thise 1-2 players that know everything in this game.

IMO this patch is, beside the onos bug, with the current weapons perfectly balanced.
    It just missing all the coming features.
    I can't understand PPL, that play the gane for some days, have to cry about balance. PPL that can't really use Walljump, that can't fly a lerk, that think a Fade is OP, who don't know all the little things on a map,, who walkbackwards, that attack a marine from behind not moving at all and then cry that jump killed em, who stand in a group instead of taking strategical position, that don't use the minimap,etc.

You need to play the game more, play it on a local Server to traing walljump, flying, etc. And after you know everything that is important and you also can execute those things in combat, then you can talk about balance.

You can't fly a F/A 18 in war against "insert country", just because you flew 10h in the simulator.
  • Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    It's not inherently unbalanced it's just that if two or three good players are on Kharaa and they Onos then it is really difficult for marines to come back from that right now. So over time in longer matches I think aliens are definitely favored, but in shorter matches marines are favored.
  • FroztyFrozty SWEDEN Join Date: 2012-01-22 Member: 141596Members
    edited March 2012
    If you play the CaveMap the aliens will won thanks to "close Hives". ( not everytime cuz its Public OFC )
    Why not switch place on Cavern and Ore? Feels so bad when its a warzone.
    Feels like for the marine team Cavern is crapy place to be in. Its all about crushing machine room. U take it and u win, u fail and u lose.
    And in 200 it was pain in the ass to be alien cuz of ARC sniping and now its even easyr to do it.