Hotfix suggestion

Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Hotfix for 200-->201.</div>Remove catalyze. Everything else should be addressed with a more serious patch, but catalyze, after many, many games as Khammander, is what's letting me brain-break the game.

Comments

• PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1914221:date=Mar 17 2012, 09:58 AM:name=Shrike3O)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shrike3O @ Mar 17 2012, 09:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914221"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Remove catalyze.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    nope, its amazing and help aliens.
    I mean come on marine kids...
    More marines = faster building
    why should aliens not get such a thing?
    Be fair damn it!
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    ... I've been playing mostly aliens. Mostly as Khammander. With 1 loss in the last 2 days. What seems to be a quick, easy fix to some of the dumb ###### of the last few days would be removing the ability to get fades on the table less than 5 minutes into the game :p
  • DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
    Catalyze is a very cool ability that meshes very well with he alien style of play, but currently it breaks the game.

So reduce it's effect so that it's balanced. If Hive building can't be balanced with Catalyze, then don't allow it to target that building.
  • olisisolisis Join Date: 2003-02-01 Member: 12944Members
    edited March 2012
    Remove it?! Catalyze is awesome, but a bit strong at the moment.

Before I knew how it was going to work, I was hoping for more of an AoE spray with maybe a third of the power it has now. It would work like the Spicy Spray in Pikmin 2 basically. So you could use it on a group of eggs and the hive at the same time for faster egg production, but only a little faster for the group effect. Or a group of skulks to give em back their old runnin' shoes with one spray.

This is what I personally would prefer. An AoE with more overall, but less single structure/player effectiveness than it currently has. So just using it on a hive alone would not give too much benefit.

One thing I haven't tried with it yet though, does catalyze currently speed egg production when used on a hive like an alien version of Beacon?
  • DuskDusk Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106114Members, Constellation
    Just need to limit its use to everything but hives
    <!--quoteo(post=1914365:date=Mar 17 2012, 08:42 PM:name=Dusk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dusk @ Mar 17 2012, 08:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914365"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just need to limit its use to everything but hives<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    A gorge can do that a long builds ago, but it looks like most of the people don't know.
  • bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Catalyze is fine. 2nd Hive can be destroyed right away if there's a phase near by.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    If they do hotfix, I hope it'd be for something like performance rather than for something as insignificant (by comparison) as catalyst. Also, some servers disabled catalyst, HBZ's for example.
  • m42m42 Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147923Members
    edited March 2012
    I don't think they can "hotfix" anything. A hotfix is a quick fix released that changes simple values server side while they're running. They don't have control of all the the servers. They would have to release another build. Servers can disable catalyst if they choose, but it's up to the server admins.

Hotfix is not synonymous with patch! :(
    <!--quoteo(post=1914370:date=Mar 17 2012, 09:09 PM:name=bLink`)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bLink` @ Mar 17 2012, 09:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914370"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Catalyze is fine. 2nd Hive can be destroyed right away if there's a phase near by.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yep, happend a lot today.
    Hive was up, 2 marines kill it in like 5 seconds.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I don't see how that is in any way related to catalyze. IMO it's
    1. Poor team not properly defending a hive that is going up (allowing them to build a PG just outside the hive room...!)
    2. Lack of proper alien defenses, with both hydras and whips being greatly underwhelming. Sentries do a far better job in locking down a room than a bunch of hydras ever will.
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    I think people are misunderstanding what I mean by a hotfix, and I probably should have explained with a little more detail. Catalyze doesn't necessarily need to permanently come out of the game, but it's current implementation (namely, that you can use it on hives, but even without that just the raw speed with which you can do something like set up 6 whips on the far side of a door) is what I, personally, feel is causing B200 to break down, and it seemed like an easy, quick coding fix: "Build 201: Disabled catalyze until it's tuned a little better."

I don't have a problem with, long term, catalyze being in the game. I just think that at the moment it's causing significant problems that are making a lot of the playtime this build go to waste.
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1914444:date=Mar 18 2012, 01:02 AM:name=Shrike3O)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shrike3O @ Mar 18 2012, 01:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914444"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't have a problem with, long term, catalyze being in the game. I just think that at the moment it's causing significant problems that are making a lot of the playtime this build go to waste.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Instead of removing, they could decrease catalyze suck more energy and decrease the time from 10 seconds to 5 or something.
    But totaly removing it, is not good.
    Marines can boost all their buildings with every player.
    Aliens have no way to boost a hive or a structure except a gorge, which cost 10 pres.
    So catalyze is a good point and needed for aliens.
    I don't think catalyze is the mainproblem in b200, its more the skulk movement, bilebomb, fps issue* missing stuff like heavy armor and on.

*something other people notice, some very weird fps drop sometimes, feels like a lag but pings were fine.

<!--quoteo(post=1914423:date=Mar 18 2012, 12:21 AM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Mar 18 2012, 12:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914423"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lack of proper alien defenses, with both hydras and whips being greatly underwhelming. Sentries do a far better job in locking down a room than a bunch of hydras ever will.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

totaly agree, sentrys are very dangerous, hydras are more a scratch on marines, they got nanoshield, medpacks and many more to prevent that...what can a skulk do? nothing.