What frustrates you the most?

Comments

• flyjumflyjum Join Date: 2012-01-07 Member: 139849Members
    1. Hit reg and hit delay
    I hate dying half way down a hall when I am a skulk and I hate shooting 30 rounds for no reason because a .5 second death delay

2. FPS
    Game needs a good bit more optimizing

3. Lack of maps
    I know many more will be coming but it kinda sucks.

4. Lack of first person view
    I have seen a few people who are aim botting and I would like to confirm
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1911402:date=Mar 9 2012, 02:46 AM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Mar 9 2012, 02:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911402"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@Skie:
    "Thankfully it will be faster in next patch. The new cropduster spores... I have mixed feelings about them. The cloud of spores is impossible to see through so I like making a cloud between me and the marines, and shooting them through it. It's impossible for them to shoot you unless comm uses a scan."

Actually, no, they can just shoot at the centre of the gas cloud and kill you with a pistol magazine. Does anyone try this when you play, or do they just sit idle on the other side of the spores and let you peck at them?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You've been playing against bad lerks. Why would I make only one small puff of spores, and even more stupidly, be smack dab in the middle of it? I'll spore the entire room. Try picking me out from there. :)
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    UWE ignoring the community when it comes to proper mod support and server downloads.

Nades bouncing off players and invisible surfaces all the time.

There still hardly any maps even though the game is getting released this year.
  • DeityDeity Join Date: 2012-01-31 Member: 142843Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hope the devs don't read this thread.

Hope you guys read this link.

<a href="http://www.eldergame.com/2008/06/taming-the-forum-tiger/" target="_blank">http://www.eldergame.com/2008/06/taming-the-forum-tiger/</a>
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    edited March 2012
    1. Performance, low tickrate servers

2. General unresponsiveness, animations and sound etc being out of sync, lack of feedback to the player, doesn't feel as smooth and fluid as I would like.

3. Poor animations (esp. skulks)

4. Poor 3D sound. Too many effects applied to simulate sound coming from behind a wall etc. Sound drops off too soon. Difficult to use sound to pinpoint enemies.

5. General slow gameplay (over the course of a match). Super units / bullet sponges. Getting into situations where it is literally impossible to kill the enemies before you die, even if you have perfect aim. General feeling of unfairness / frustrating gameplay.

6. Slow/sluggish movement.

7. Player models that blend in with the surrounding environment + lots of visual clutter.

8. Easy spam weapons, e.g. flamethrower.

9. Unbalances.

10. Lack of tech options. Just feels like levelling up to the next upgrade rather than making strategic decisions.

11. Static defence and AI units.

To the devs, don't take this the wrong way. I've played ns2 for over 600 hours in the beta and had a lot of fun. These are just criticisms that if improved would make the game even better.
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    Also forgot a few...

Maps are way too dark.

Contrast sucks big time, blacks are actually grey because fog and atmospherics are too strong.

Same dull lifeless theme set on every map, refinery and caves have got boring.

Marine movement feels restricted and inaccurate, jumping seems slow and broken, it's also not high enough.

Menu system could use an update to be more like the one in the mod section.
  • fallout1333fallout1333 Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147884Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1911345:date=Mar 8 2012, 12:48 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Mar 8 2012, 12:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911345"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1) FPS lag
    2) hit detection
    3) player collision
    4) skill less weapons (GLs/flamethrowers)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The worst things that make up this game.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1911597:date=Mar 9 2012, 06:23 PM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Mar 9 2012, 06:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911597"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. Performance, low tickrate servers

2. General unresponsiveness, animations and sound etc being out of sync, lack of feedback to the player, doesn't feel as smooth and fluid as I would like.

3. Poor animations (esp. skulks)

4. Poor 3D sound. Too many effects applied to simulate sound coming from behind a wall etc. Sound drops off too soon. Difficult to use sound to pinpoint enemies.

5. General slow gameplay (over the course of a match). Super units / bullet sponges. Getting into situations where it is literally impossible to kill the enemies before you die, even if you have perfect aim. General feeling of unfairness / frustrating gameplay.

6. Slow/sluggish movement.

7. Player models that blend in with the surrounding environment + lots of visual clutter.

8. Easy spam weapons, e.g. flamethrower.

9. Unbalances.

10. Lack of tech options. Just feels like levelling up to the next upgrade rather than making strategic decisions.

11. Static defence and AI units.

To the devs, don't take this the wrong way. I've played ns2 for over 600 hours in the beta and had a lot of fun. These are just criticisms that if improved would make the game even better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
    Especially
    Lack of tech options. Just feels like levelling up to the next upgrade rather than making strategic decisions, Server performance, sound, animations and responsiveness.

edit:
    Add <u>player collision</u>!
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    What is player collision?
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    Player collision... what happens if you and another player walks into eachother, stuff like fades getting stuck inside marines etc...
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1911594:date=Mar 9 2012, 09:16 AM:name=Deity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deity @ Mar 9 2012, 09:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911594"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hope the devs don't read this thread.
    Hope you guys read this link.
    <a href="http://www.eldergame.com/2008/06/taming-the-forum-tiger/" target="_blank">http://www.eldergame.com/2008/06/taming-the-forum-tiger/</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

LOL! its luns, trueveritas, and electr0!

nice find. gonna have to add that to the sig.
    i often wonder if people really do justify their anger/rudeness with their passion/love for the product, as it seems like the worst way to express it.
    they need to go have more experiences with other game developers.. you know, where 95% of them in the world never communicate with the community and hire some PR monkey forum admin who knows nothing.

We have it so good and they don't even know it.
    add to it that most of the time their claims of "Devs are ignoring the community about X feature/bug!" are so inaccurate as you can usually find a quote from a dev somewhere assuaging/taming everyone that they acknowledge it. (map downloads, skill movement etc etc)
  • DeityDeity Join Date: 2012-01-31 Member: 142843Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    Yeah that whole blog is pure gold, the guy is a great writer and developer.

The following quoted part of that article applies most to this thread:

"The trouble with forums is that there is just enough actual value for developers that they can’t quit reading them. Somebody will post a really interesting bug, or give a really insightful view on balance, or post about a clever way to beat a quest that nobody on the team had thought of. But those are the gems in the big forum cesspit. The rest of the cesspit is full of cess."

This thread is cess. Complaining about what you don't like about the game may feel like you are doing something constructive but it's just a kick in the nuts for morale. The developers know what is wrong with their game, they made the damned thing. They don't need people to come and tell them that it's frustrating to have poor performance.

Generally when people go off on communal whine-fests like this they have the courtesy to include things that they DO like along with all the crap, that way the devs don't feel like they can't do anything right.
    edited March 2012
    Overreactions.

This is not a whine thread it's a chance for everyone to talk about things which aren't hot topics, but which might be on their mind for a while now. There's no bashing of the devs here.

They can decide themselves what they want to read. They do not need you to go around the forums dictating how other members should post, acting like their nanny, as if the developers are fragile artists who could break at any moment.

We post all the time about things we like, we cheer when we get new patches, and we love how dedicated UWE are...that's why we're all here!

I would be shocked if the developers saw this thread as a 'kick in the nuts' when it's so obviously a matter of fact survey of things that frustrate our gaming experience. People have been a bit more specific than 'poor performance', if you'd bothered to read all the comments.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    yes there is, peregrinus?
    saying they are <b>ignoring </b>the community?
    also as deity said, dont underestimate the morale impact it has.
    members SHOULD post appropriately, according the forum rules and guidelines, are you actually supporting rude, angry, flaming behavior?
    edited March 2012
    Where am I supporting rude angry and flaming behaviour???!!

Where did I say they ignore the community??

Let me quote what I said in the last post

"We post all the time about things we like, we cheer when we get new patches, and we love how dedicated UWE are...that's why we're all here!"

If you take your own advice you might like to stop derailing a thread. If you have a problem with it, report it to a moderator don't start attacking members here.

I'm not going to respond to more of your posts when you so clearly see things in mine which aren't there.
  • SilentWaterSilentWater Join Date: 2004-05-26 Member: 28935Members
    Pub player here, so i will not offer any balancing tips, the game is still in development and changes "daily" anyway.
    My biggest frustrations are mostly with Server Browser :
    - PLEASE implement the posibilty to filter server ( blacklisting with checkbox, with or without special mods etc)
    - Adding own Servers + showing those even when not online
    - Showing a server with RESERVED player slots as FULL
    - Favorites.

And I will love you even more if :
    - The round start only when BOTH commander seats are taken ( Marine Commander enclosed in COM and one alien player in the hive)
    It would cut so much frustration from games where all Marines can't see the Command Chair.

A voting system for choosing the tech-path , kick vote and throwing up the game would be welcomed.

Thank you.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1911661:date=Mar 9 2012, 09:06 PM:name=Deity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deity @ Mar 9 2012, 09:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911661"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Generally when people go off on communal whine-fests like this they have the courtesy to include things that they DO like along with all the crap, that way the devs don't feel like they can't do anything right.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We aren't here to blow smoke up the devs asses. I'm sick of people complaining about being negative when people are giving legitimate feedback. Yes, there are good things about the game. I shouldn't need to list them everytime I want to comment on the bad things.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    I think a key thing to remember as a developer is that if you notice yourself screwing up and nobody complains, that means people have stopped caring. That's a bad place to be. If people didn't care about your game, they wouldn't complain.

Some people take the time to complain about what they feel is broken, and they may do so repeatedly as long as they have an issue. However, when people praise a the devevoper it is only at the particular moment something gets improved, fixed or some feature is added. This natural asymetry acts to amplify the level of complaints relative to the level of praise.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    Terrible performance etc. aside...

- Not displaying health numbers when on full health. How much health has this class again? By how much did that upgrade increase armour? Guess I'll never know... (Also terrible for newbies!)

- Anything that impairs vision or hearing: low health, gorge spit, spores.

- Any attack with knockback, especially of the onos.

- Requiring power/infestation for resource towers.

- The resource model is too simple. Anything except personal equipment should cost team resources, so there is at least some room for decision making.

- Sound in general. Tracking enemies just by listening was awesome in NS1. Now I don't even hear turrets firing when I'm not right next to them.

- Power nodes are boring and unnecessary. If UWE wants to keep the light switch functionality they could tie it to RTs.

- Switching weapons could be faster.

- Invisibility/invulnerability during fade blink. Confusing for marines, hard to balance. Fade has to stay at low health to balance out the invulnerability. Once performance is better, fades will probably die very fast when fighting good players cause no matter what you do after blinking, those good players will hit you hard.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all for now.
  • Cyberwarrior00785Cyberwarrior00785 Join Date: 2010-02-20 Member: 70651Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1911701:date=Mar 9 2012, 03:07 PM:name=Raza.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raza. @ Mar 9 2012, 03:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911701"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Power nodes are boring and unnecessary. If UWE wants to keep the light switch functionality they could tie it to RTs.

- Switching weapons could be faster.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    1. power nodes ARE necessary because it even outs gameplay balance it would be to easy for the marines to expand
    2.switching weapons is just fine it's more realistic unlike cs, cod, bf, ect...
  • RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    - Terrible performance
    - Flashlights when used by your teammates. The lightbeam actually makes it HARDER to see anything, it's almost like looking through a gray overlay.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1911714:date=Mar 9 2012, 07:06 PM:name=Rautapalli)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rautapalli @ Mar 9 2012, 07:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911714"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Terrible performance
    - Flashlights when used by your teammates. The lightbeam actually makes it HARDER to see anything, it's almost like looking through a gray overlay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Download the experimental no-flash menu mod in the mod section of these forums. Disable atmospherics. Win.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1911710:date=Mar 9 2012, 06:38 PM:name=Cyberwarrior00785)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cyberwarrior00785 @ Mar 9 2012, 06:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911710"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. power nodes ARE necessary because it even outs gameplay balance it would be to easy for the marines to expand<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I guess if you don't consider that power nodes and cysts both joined the NS world together....
  • CimCim Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147403Members
    Framerate, framerate, framerate.

It's my main source of frustration in the game at the moment. It starts off good 60+ fps but as a round starts to wind down, and everyone is making that last push to kill off the enemy team the framerate is somewhere around 10ish.

As second I'd say the marine gameplay overall. It just feels like it requires less skill than the aliens and it's less rewarding. If an alien attacks you, even if your in the middle of a group of marines, your probably going to die. I get that the slow backwards walking and weapon damage is meant to encourage teamwork but on the flip side it makes you as a player feel helpless most of the time, with very little control over if you die or not.
  • PoliuyPoliuy Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148110Members
    Low/fps and lag

You guys REALLY need to sort how to make the game play smoother without having awkward animations and quirky movement.

This is supposed to be a beta, but at this point I'd classify this as alpha still.
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1911667:date=Mar 9 2012, 01:30 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Mar 9 2012, 01:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911667"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Where did I say they ignore the community??<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    you are misunderstanding.
    you didnt. others are:
    <!--quoteo(post=1911590:date=Mar 9 2012, 09:01 AM:name=Electr0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Electr0 @ Mar 9 2012, 09:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911590"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->UWE ignoring the community when it comes to proper mod support and server downloads.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    oh and
    <!--quoteo(post=1911385:date=Mar 8 2012, 03:41 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Mar 8 2012, 03:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911385"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->developers refuse to add skill based movement<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<b>thats </b>our point, that others are.
    i get why you made a thread, your intentions are fine, but you aren't considering what a soapbox you provide to those negatively charged individuals when you ask what they find frustrating.

and finally, you misunderstand again; by saying people shouldn't be "dictating how other members should post." i dont see anyone here <b>dictating</b>. i see some of us trying to keep it civil in an attempt to have a nice community and encourage friendly contributions. read through all of Charlie's AmA responses and read his responses about how impacting negative, rude posts can be before assuming how "fragile" an artist can be.
    also read:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/community" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/community</a>
    <b><i>" If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all! "</i></b>

some of us aren't "dictating" we merely attempt to advocate that atmosphere ^
    and while i don't share the same frustration with you that you have with me, i fortunately don't require a response, I've explained our concern :)

@wheee:
    <i>" I'm sick of people complaining about being negative when people are giving legitimate feedback."</i>
    what about those two quotes above seem to be legitimate feedback? both are inaccurate considering the direct responses from devs concerning those matters (sometimes even to those exact individuals) there is nothing constructive offered in those quotes - only giving a bad name to UWE, <b>inaccurately</b>, once again.

<b>EDIT</b>: to add to the OP so to avoid derailing, my most frustrating things: <ul><li>HP of hives and CC (they can be taken down so quickly) ,</li><li> lerk HP too low, (such a frustrating waste of res usually, and i consider myself good with it) and </li><li>shotgun distance seems crazy op. from both sides.</li></ul> Everything else i believe they are already aware of /working on.
  • Cyberwarrior00785Cyberwarrior00785 Join Date: 2010-02-20 Member: 70651Members
    aliens now spawn one at a time when they could make it so the amount spawning is based on the amount of hives there are
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1911746:date=Mar 10 2012, 03:14 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Mar 10 2012, 03:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911746"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->what about those two quotes above seem to be legitimate feedback? both are inaccurate considering the direct responses from devs concerning those matters (sometimes even to those exact individuals)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Did Electro get a response in regards to a download-mechanism? I don't see it in his thread (or anywhere else).
  • hamham Join Date: 2011-08-31 Member: 119370Members, Constellation
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited March 2012
    Ok if you ask...
    <!--quoteo(post=1911345:date=Mar 8 2012, 09:48 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Mar 8 2012, 09:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911345"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1) FPS lag
    2) hit detection
    3) player collision
    4) skill less/overpowered weapon (GLs)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    /agree +
    5) Gorge can not build chambers (only hydra)
    6) If i waste my res as gorge for hydras....hydras are gone in like 2 seconds...no matter where i place them (thanks ARC + GL + Flamethrower + Cyst)
    7) My expensive placed cysts die in a second because one cyst lost the connection in the map (but great thing is, you can see it on the minimap so its not thaaaaaaaat frustrating)
    8) Marines who jump like fools and give a alien the feel of a benny hill theme...
    9) Jumping as Marine on something (i always crouch jump like in Half-Life/Ns1 but its not working...)
    10) Playing as onos and die faster as a fade because of fat target
    11) Shooting grenades as marine and get blocked by some §$&"&%% Teammate, so i hit myself (happend to a lot of people)
    12) Model viewer crash always if you open another model after you open one the first time
    13) Refreshing always in the serverlist, the autoconnect from source engine was/is awesome
    14) Seeing people leave my team (no way to prevent it but its frustrating, ragequiter or just crashes)
    15) getting killed by one hit as skulk/gorge/lerk...and there so many weapons which kills you by one hit
    16) no way to move from one side of the map to another as alien
    17) can not see the phasegates health...
    18) that my team is most times to stupid to watch the minimap (both sides)
    19) try to wallwalk on the ceiling because i saw a marine and i try to attack him from above but can't move up because getting blocked by some props or its not working and die...
    20) The player model is looking in a diffrent location but aim at you and you are dead (try by yourself, start the game with cheats 1 and thirdperson, then look 360° you will see your model has a big delay...for whatever reason!)
    21) buying a expensive weapon but drop it, because someone drop his weapon...so i have to be fast
    22) try to build a structure but droping my weapon because someone drop his weapon and E and use are the same keys (there is no other key i can use...every key is used)
    23) get killed by a fade in just one eye blink
    24) getting no backup as gorge (thats why chambers are needed...)
    25) playing alien commander, having no energy to replace cysts...so everything die
    26) If my commander sell the base...could this idiot not just go into ready room? Or ask the player?
    27) People in the forums complain about aliens :P
    28) marines spawn rape the eggs
    29) alien spawn system, can take ages to spawn...feels like some queue for a new movie or something
    30) someone take my expensive weapon i drop as i get killed by a alien
    31) you run the whole map just for your weapon and it disapear 1 second before you reach it (im not kidding, this happend a LOT, it just disapears for no reason...why disapear expensive weapons at all? i can understand that the rifle and pistol disapear, but GL,Shotgun or flamethrower?)

so enough, enough i said!