What frustrates you the most?

13»

Comments

• Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1911779:date=Mar 10 2012, 01:57 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Mar 10 2012, 01:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911779"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did Electro get a response in regards to a download-mechanism? I don't see it in his thread (or anywhere else).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sadly not yet it seems, i guess there's been a general response to the mod issue of it will come eventually, i wanted to know more details, started out asking nicely and putting across all the positive reasons for it but it seems to be a subject uwe doesn't want to make an official comment about.

Sure perhaps i could have put some of my later comments across more nicely but we're all big enough not to get upset over forum posts aren't we?

Anyway i don't see the point in going on about the issue much more, uwe have made it quite clear in their silence and general attitude that they don't want to open the game up to the mod community any time soon despite the potential it has, even though im sure most would be happy with maps downloads for the time being, seems we won't get anything at all until some mysterious data probably beyond release...
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1911845:date=Mar 10 2012, 02:07 PM:name=Electr0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Electr0 @ Mar 10 2012, 02:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911845"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sadly not yet it seems, i guess there's been a general response to the mod issue of it will come eventually, i wanted to know more details, started out asking nicely and putting across all the positive reasons for it but it seems to be a subject uwe doesn't want to make an official comment about.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We have responded to your posts before Electro, but you've just ended up repeating the same grievances over and over again in every thread. Of course we are going to work on the ability to download mods -- we've built our entire game structure around mod support. But stopping to work on that, at the expense of not working on the actual game itself, does not make sense at this time. For the mod community to take off and be successful, we first have to make sure that NS2 is a success. Do you think Valve's modding community would have been as big if no one had bought and played Halflife?

As you can see in this thread, there are clearly A LOT of high priority issues that are impacting people's fun, not to mention additional gameplay features we need to implement. Everyone needs to understand that they all have their own opinions on the things that are the most important to them, but they shouldn't assume that everyone else feels the same way. If you want, you can have a discussion with other players and see if they would rather have better performance or the Exosuit in the game, or would they rather have mod support. With a team our size, those are the choices we have to make, as we can't work on everything at once.

--Cory
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2012
    Thanks, Cory.

@Electr0:
    Flayra's comment in the reddit AmA,
    Q) Do you guys ever get overwhelmed by the feedback on the forums? I know sometimes it can be overly negative or critical?
    A) Yes we do get overwhelmed, to the point where sometimes we can't look or have to take a break for awhile.

its just a game, dude, and they are just humans. :)
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, actually I'd like to play it vanilla a few months first before getting XMENUS and SIEGEMAPS. Cory is totally right there.

Actually in late UT 2004 it was really annoying to have to download 5 mins on every friggin' server just to hear some crappy sounds. I wanted to play UT ffs.

Real modifications should be downloaded seperately as it was and is in half-life. When I want to play a mod, I start the mod. I hope they forbid a downloading function for sounds and models.

If you are talking about maps: it will come, but what do you want with maps when the performance is bad and the game is not balanced?

Edit: And we have a lot of mods right now, like fsfod's menu mod (great stuff, should be official), yuuki's fade movement mod etc...and UWE actually implements stuff from the community. So how are they not thinking of modders?
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1911917:date=Mar 10 2012, 01:22 PM:name=countbasie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (countbasie @ Mar 10 2012, 01:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911917"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, actually I'd like to play it vanilla a few months first before getting XMENUS and SIEGEMAPS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh god, Xmenu. That right there is what killed NS1, nevermind combat. What a horrible mod.
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    1) Bunny marines. As a marine player, it's annoying as hell to have someone doing the circle dance in front of me while I'm trying to pick a skulk off him, because he blocks my bullets. It's even worse trying to make a concentrated assault on a position (with GLs especially) and having some yahoo zigzagging back and forth in front of me, stopping bullets or knocking grenades to my feet. As an alien player, it's frustrating because it turns most close-quarters skulk work (read, all combat) into attempts to track someone jumping over my head or pogoing in circles with a shotgun. I think I might be one of the few people out there who actually LIKES gorge spit slowing marines down so much... it gives me a choice in combat between the usual Healspray Assault and spitting a pogomarine so that my skulk buddy can actually nail him, and adds some variety in the process; a great teamplay choice IMO.

2) Cyst/geometry interactions. Why are there so many places where I can't place a cyst on a surface, but I move FURTHER AWAY and it becomes a legit location? Why are there so many places where the cysts are a few feet away and have direct LOS to each other, but since they're not on the same plane, they seem to be out of range? Why is it so hard to get cysts into a vent or up/down stairs? And catwalks (think Central Drilling)? Problematic.

3) Players who don't follow commander orders (like "go through the phase gate and start shooting" or "stop chewing on the goddamn power nodes and back up your buddies"). Not sure UWE can fix this bug :)

4) Delayed hit registration. If it can't be improved, can we get 10-20 more rounds in the LMG mag? :)

5) Weird visibility for the commander. It's irritating to be looking at an assault and have enemy buildings and players flickering in and out of existence continually. Sensor sweeps are handy, it'd be nice if they lasted a little longer (at least long enough to get off a second ARC shot).

6) Weapon fire rate variability. Why does clicking at the right time make swinging the axe faster than simply holding the key down?

7) Skulks no longer being able to walk and stay camouflaged. The "extra sticky" mode replacing slow movement broke this functionality.

8) "USE" being the function that builds buildings AND picks up weapons.

What do I <i>like</i> about NS2 right now? Since Gorilla the game is finally starting to feel really solidly playable and interesting. I'm having a blast, and have put in a ton of hours in the last couple of weeks. My frustrations aren't nearly enough to make me stop playing and telling people to buy the game. :) Looking forwards to the next build, guys :)
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Performance (CPU bottleneck)
  • NostrilsNostrils Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148368Members
    edited March 2012
    Marines definitely feel a lot more polished than aliens. Looking forward to HMG and heavy armor. Only real issues I've had is the armory acting buggy when getting multiple upgrades (welder, etc) especially if you already have a jetpack. Had times where the armory wont give me a new weapon, or won't give me the grenade launcher if I have the welder.

I'm still on the fence about the whole infestation/power node thing.

Overlay map translucency would be nice, as well as a way to more precisely control sensitivity (console command maybe)) or even have separate sensitivities for marines/aliens or even different alien creatures.

Issues with aliens that I've had:

-Gorge seems significantly less interesting to play now with the alien commander. Only builds 1 or 2 structures and spreads infestation. Playing as a battle gorge seems to be required now, instead of being simply a fun way to play. I miss the old NS days where gorges had the option to go build crazy (build the "perfect defense" and really fortify a room) and the freedom to really use structures to influence confrontations with a more hands-on feel than the marine commander. Also. long wait times for resources if you aren't getting kills. I think it's a shame there's an alien commander now. It makes aliens seem less unique. If the alien commander concept is kept, maybe give gorges back some of their abilities, make them feel more important again instead of merely a medic.

-All the different names for the alien structures, compared with defensive/offensive/sensory chambers from NS 1. I understand unique names for creatures is necessary, but for structures it seems a little arbitrary and needless. Not a big deal though.

-A big deal for me has been the lack of teleporting via hives. Also miss the old hive indicator in the corner that showed health and location.

-I miss Umbra for the Lerk. it's fun to play in a support role sometimes. I suppose this is accomplished with the gas now and how it obstructs line of sight though.

-I've had some issues of figuring out what weapons do what on the Onos, but I assume it's just because it's beta.

Overall though, it's nice to be playing NS again. I feel general match quality deteriorated when NS:Combat was released. Also miss the old days where rooms had no build limit and gorges could go ape-###### with chambers and there'd be rooms with towers of goo.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sometimes the poor hit reg can work in your favour if your a bad aimer!! :p

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o02hUSqBkKk"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o02hUSqBkKk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1912014:date=Mar 10 2012, 10:53 PM:name=Nostrils)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nostrils @ Mar 10 2012, 10:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912014"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-Overlay map translucency would be nice, as well as a way to more precisely control sensitivity (console command maybe)) or even have separate sensitivities for marines/aliens or even different alien creatures.

-A big deal for me has been the lack of teleporting via hives. Also miss the old hive indicator in the corner that showed health and location.

-I miss Umbra for the Lerk. it's fun to play in a support role sometimes. I suppose this is accomplished with the gas now and how it obstructs line of sight though.

-I've had some issues of figuring out what weapons do what on the Onos, but I assume it's just because it's beta.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1) <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=116254" target="_blank">Instant HUD</a> has an optional, transparent minimap; it's a very useful mod overall as well. The <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=113246" target="_blank">Non Flash Menu Mod</a> has both a sensitivity slider and a field where you can manually type in your desired sens. Also a very useful mod overall.

2) I think someone mentioned that hive teleporting will be implemented in NS2. Forgot where the thread for it is though.

3) Lerks will get bile bomb next patch, so I guess it's better than nothing. :p I do miss Umbra, though.

4) For the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Onos" target="_blank">Onos</a>, pressing 1 and 2 on your keyboard will switch between Gore (basic attack) and Smash (massive structural dmg), respectively. These abilities are triggered by M1. M2 is always Stomp (shockwave stun), which is the same despite switching between Gore and Smash.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1912014:date=Mar 10 2012, 10:53 PM:name=Nostrils)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nostrils @ Mar 10 2012, 10:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912014"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Marines definitely feel a lot more polished than aliens. Looking forward to HMG and heavy armor. Only real issues I've had is the armory acting buggy when getting multiple upgrades (welder, etc) especially if you already have a jetpack. Had times where the armory wont give me a new weapon, or won't give me the grenade launcher if I have the welder.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This may be because you are trying to buy a GL from a basic armory. You have to buy the advanced weapons (GL, Flamer) from the advanced armory.
  • NostrilsNostrils Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148368Members
    Mmm, not sure. I specifically recall buying a flamethrower, dieing, respawning, getting a jetpack, going back to the same armory, seeing the option for flamethrower lit up, pressing it repeatedly, and then nothing happening.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    @elodea, to me it looks like your aim was on the skulk for 2-3 shots.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1912028:date=Mar 11 2012, 05:54 AM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Mar 11 2012, 05:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912028"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This may be because you are trying to buy a GL from a basic armory. You have to buy the advanced weapons (GL, Flamer) from the advanced armory.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not the case. There is currently a bug where the armoury simply refuses to let you buy certain weapons (Shotgun, GL, etc).
  • XosteanXostean Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146370Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1912021:date=Mar 10 2012, 11:26 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Mar 10 2012, 11:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912021"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sometimes the poor hit reg can work in your favour if your a bad aimer!! :p

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o02hUSqBkKk"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o02hUSqBkKk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The skulk hit box is a cylinder (literally) at the center mass of the body going Vertically.

More than likely you glanced the bottom of the hit box when the skulk jumped and revealed it's belly.

But you are right, the hit reg definitely isnt perfect
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1912085:date=Mar 12 2012, 02:02 AM:name=Xostean)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xostean @ Mar 12 2012, 02:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912085"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The skulk hit box is a cylinder (literally) at the center mass of the body going Vertically.

More than likely you glanced the bottom of the hit box when the skulk jumped and revealed it's belly.

But you are right, the hit reg definitely isnt perfect<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nah thats the physics box. The hitboxes are supposed to be very comparable to the models.
  • XosteanXostean Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146370Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1912089:date=Mar 11 2012, 10:11 AM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Mar 11 2012, 10:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912089"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nah thats the physics box. The hitboxes are supposed to be very comparable to the models.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I always took them to be the same thing.

Not sure then honestly. Maybe the physics box also can be hit? (im just trying to reason why you would hit him in that current position, and the physics box would fit that description)
  • fallout1333fallout1333 Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147884Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1912085:date=Mar 11 2012, 07:02 AM:name=Xostean)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xostean @ Mar 11 2012, 07:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912085"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The skulk hit box is a cylinder (literally) at the center mass of the body going Vertically.

But you are right, the hit reg definitely isnt perfect<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What I can't understand is WHY. Making the skulk hit box a vertical cylinder is the worst design decision I have seen. It is terrible and should never have been done.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    That's why it hasn't been done. ;)
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    I once tested the hitboxes in cheats mode with a pistol. They were pretty much exactly like the visible models, even between legs etc
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    also shows how you fired two more shots before that hit registered a kill lol
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1912113:date=Mar 11 2012, 11:57 AM:name=fallout1333)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fallout1333 @ Mar 11 2012, 11:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912113"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What I can't understand is WHY.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The "shape" of the skulk when it interacts with the world is a vertical cylinder for a very good reason. If the colision primitive rotated with the skulk, standing close to a wall you would not be able to rotate.

If the collision primitive was something more complex, you would stick and get stuck a lot more than you already do.

If the shape was an axis-aligned box as it was in NS1(see nshulls.txt for its size; I think it was 32x32x32 for skulk), then diagonal passages need to be sqrt(2) wider than axis aligned passages to allow skulks through them.

The "shape" of the skulk for determining weapon hits is tightly conforming to the model.
  • GodofThunderGodofThunder Join Date: 2011-12-13 Member: 137815Members
    edited March 2012
    The fact that marines late game can't do anything with an LMG. You just died and don't have any res, so can't buy new weapons.. You can't do a dam thing against any alien bar skulk. Yet skulks can still kill any marine even with good equipment (though hard still doable). If they just died as fade, Onos, lerk, they can still just run in as is and kill a marine.
  • hamham Join Date: 2011-08-31 Member: 119370Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1912269:date=Mar 12 2012, 03:50 AM:name=GodofThunder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GodofThunder @ Mar 12 2012, 03:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912269"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The fact that marines late game can't do anything with an LMG. You just died and don't have any res, so can't buy new weapons.. You can't do a dam thing against any alien bar skulk. Yet skulks can still kill any marine even with good equipment (though hard still doable). If they just died as fade, Onos, lerk, they can still just run in as is and kill a marine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's the game mate. It's a direct consequence of losing.
  • ÒŗăNģёÒŗăNģё Join Date: 2012-02-09 Member: 144437Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Onos gore. I would give my left nut to be devoured rather than knocked over and destroyed 100% of the time from one attack, at least devour had chance.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1912269:date=Mar 12 2012, 09:50 AM:name=GodofThunder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GodofThunder @ Mar 12 2012, 09:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912269"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The fact that marines late game can't do anything with an LMG. You just died and don't have any res, so can't buy new weapons.. You can't do a dam thing against any alien bar skulk. Yet skulks can still kill any marine even with good equipment (though hard still doable). If they just died as fade, Onos, lerk, they can still just run in as is and kill a marine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's entirely dependant upon skill (and some luck). I still kill plenty of lifeforms with axe, rifle and pistol (even in late game). Fades are still quite vulnerable to rifles, which is more obvious now shotguns are weaker.
  • SloppyKissesSloppyKisses omgawd a furreh&#33; Virginia Join Date: 2003-07-05 Member: 17942Members, Constellation
    The FPS/Lag
    Second thing would be tick rate..
    I can't really say much for gameplay. It is still to unbearable to play :/
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1912273:date=Mar 12 2012, 12:38 PM:name=ÒŗăNģё)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ÒŗăNģё @ Mar 12 2012, 12:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912273"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Onos gore. I would give my left nut to be devoured rather than knocked over and destroyed 100% of the time from one attack, at least devour had chance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have to agree here. Somehow this is even worse than devour to me. Both take away your ability to act. At least with devour there was hope that someone killed the Onos and freed you. With gore it's just knock down, knock down, dead.