Allowing Gorges to build

OrzOrz Join Date: 2010-03-24 Member: 71069Members
edited February 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
This has no doubt been asked and answered many times before, but will there definitely be no 'official' return to NS1-style Gorge gameplay? IE, being able to build res nodes and other structures. This was the most enjoyable aspect of being a Gorge, and to a larger extent playing Natural Selection at all - but now it's gone, and I believe it's not making a comeback.

Would simply giving Gorges the ability build stuff hamper gameplay that much?

Personally, I really wish it was back in the game, it would make it so much more enjoyable. What does everyone else think about it? Nobody cares anymore?

Comments

• Raven_XIRaven_XI Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12032Members, Constellation
    I would like to see how a game of NS2 would play with the old gorge system, but I highly doubt there will be a chance unless someone mods it.
  • OrzOrz Join Date: 2010-03-24 Member: 71069Members
    That's the thing, it seems like a very easy change to implement, even if only temporarily to gauge how it works out and what the community thinks.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    What about the Drifter? What's this cute bugger going to be good for :O?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Even if it didn't include hives or res towers I'd still like to see the gorge supporting his team by building support chambers when the team needs them.
    edited February 2012
    I think it would be better to have both Gorges and the Commander being able to build rather than just the Commander.
    I really can't explain enough the endorphin/dopamine kick I used to get in NS from building little mini-bases as Gorge. Ergo, it being gone is really... disappointing.
  • WackOhWackOh Join Date: 2004-07-25 Member: 30100Members
    remember if youre gonna let gorges and the commander build then you are going to have to rework the alien res system as well
    Yeah, because right now it's been designed so that only the commander can build (and hence the res structure is designed around that). Adjusting it shouldn't be anything more than a matter of balance, surely?
  • Ice30Ice30 Join Date: 2011-11-26 Member: 135365Members
    I'd like to see a mod of this come out, im sure someone will make one eventually
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah NS1 the gorge made a huge impact on early game play.
    Use to gorge straight away when the game started, build res nodes and chambers and you'd be helping the team heaps. Now in NS2 if you gorge straight away on game start, you can't do much but extend cysts, build hydra's which marines will laugh as they walk past, and heal skulks.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited February 2012
    How about if Alien Commander can grant structures for individual Gorges to build? Sorta like Marine Comm. and dropping weapons in NS1, a reward for helping out~

For example, by default, each Gorge can only build Mini-Cyst, Hydra, and Goo Wall (as they are designed to be built by him), and once the Alien Commander selects a Gorge (or cycle through players using new A. Comm. UI coming soon), he can pay TRes to unlock a structure for the Gorge to build.

The Gorge will be notified and in his build menu #4, 5, 6 will be available. Numbers depend on how many structures are determined for a Gorge to build; personally, I'd like the Crag, Shade, and Shift only, as to keep the Drifter vital for base expansion/res node capture/research structures.

Edit: Oh I just got a cute mental image for an alternative idea: when Commander assigns a structure for Gorge to build, a Drifter lands on the Gorge's back and the Gorge carries it wherever he likes. The Comm can detach the Drifter at any time to build on his own accord, for say if he changed his mind or if the Gorge is about to die...

Drifter attached = Gorge can build a Khamm buildable structure; No Drifter attached = no support structure building
    <!--quoteo(post=1908171:date=Feb 29 2012, 04:33 PM:name=RockyMarc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RockyMarc @ Feb 29 2012, 04:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908171"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah NS1 the gorge made a huge impact on early game play.
    Use to gorge straight away when the game started, build res nodes and chambers and you'd be helping the team heaps. Now in NS2 if you gorge straight away on game start, you can't do much but extend cysts, build hydra's which marines will laugh as they walk past, and heal skulks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If this is a problem/one of the reasons why it wasn't implemented in NS2, then again, surely this can be tweaked to make it work.

Undoubtedly, if UWE doesn't make it an official mode, then a modder will, but perhaps not as well as the original team could have done.
  • DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
    I actually think that giving the Gorge new structures according to alien tech is a very nice idea, though it would detract from much of the Alien commander's role. It's an unfortunate, but fitting way to improve the Gorge's build options, but the alien commander would have to be given many, many more things to do if this were impllemented.

I think that the various field "chambers" a la NS1 would better serve the Gorge arsenal than the alien Comm. Actually, I think "mini-" versions of the chambers might work as well, though the "mini-" novelty might begin to feel a bit forced if overused.
  • VolccisVolccis Join Date: 2011-12-11 Member: 137452Members
    edited February 2012
    I agree that being a gorge is little boring. Mini-cyst support is good but its annoying to build mini-cysts if marines keep killing them. Also if you have spend 30 resources for hydras and then few marines kill em without even getting hurt. Only feeling is to slow down marines, of course its helpful but not so fun as gorge. In NS2 structures are alot smaller than in NS and you cannot block any route by yourself. That was the good part being a gorge in NS when you blocked a route by yourself.

Spit is useless also btw. I dont know am I bad aimer or what but I dont ever hit when spitting.

Atm gorge feels a bit weak, its structures are weak and only strong ability is bile bomb (ofc heal is good for your teammates and sometimes you can get a kill).

The way I would want to change gorge.

1. Spit - Its good self defence and without second hive you can do some damage from range. Still needs to be alot faster if you want to hit marines.

2. Build menu:
    2.1 Mini-cyst - its fine.
    2.2 Hydra - Make it more powerful. Would cost 15 PRES, more health/armor, wouldnt miss that much or never, would do more damage(?), infinite range or close to it so marines just cannot walk past it or kill it from range. Hydras are joke now, none fear em.
    2.3 Goo-wall - Lets see.
    2.4a Movement chamber - Able to teleport through movement/shift chambers and could be build anywhere on infestation. Would cost 15 PRES, limited to one per gorge and if gorge changes form/dies the chamber would die also. Too big to make it in vents.
    2.4b Defence chamber - Would work same like crags. Anyway crags are bit too weak atm so a little buff would be in place. Would cost 15 PRES, limited to 2 per gorge.
    2.4c Sensory chamber - Would work same like in NS. Would cost 15 PRES, limited to one per gorge.
    -One of these 2.4 structures would be chosen. You wouldnt be able to build all of these as yourself but this would make it more reasonable to have more gorges. Also it would allow to change strategies as gorge. You could rechoose the way if you would evolve to gorge again, at the cost of 10 PRES and previous chambers would die.

3. Heal Spray - Its fine.
    4. Bile Bomb - It may be too powerful. Nerf its splash radius, the damage is good imo.

Any thoughts? Or would people want something new than structures from old NS? :)
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2012
    The upcoming Goo-wall should flesh out Gorge's toolbox nicely.

Gorges will fill the roles of
    1. Healer (Heal Spray)
    2. Infestation developer (Mini Cyst)
    3. Offensive Area Denial (Hydra)
    4. Defensive Area Denial (Goo-wall)
    which should keep every Gorge player busy and happy.

Making mini cysts (at least the connected ones) free would be the right step.
    edited February 2012
    1. Healer - That role is fine and gorge does it well.
    2. Infestation - That role is fine also.
    3. Offensive area - That is broken, even 10 hydras wont kill that much and just slow down marines but not control it. Its the cost of ONOS so they should do much much better.
    4. Defensive area - Lets see, hard to discuss yet.

How it really goes.

Heal Spray - This skill is fun to use because it keeps you alive and teammates alive. Also it keeps your structures alive and annoys marines much. But the best part is that while it does damage to marines it heals you and everyone around <3 You are really the healer.

Cysts - At start your cysts help the commander, later when second hive is built they wont help that much. You just cannot expand further or alien commander has enough energy to spread infestation himself/herself. At this point you spam cysts just for fun. Althought its fun to spread infestation on walls etc so this is fine, gorge just lack of interesting structures to benefit from it.

Hydras - You cannot make these much at start and therefore a SINGLE marine can wipe your hydras because they just cannot hit anything. Nice to see when a single marine with rifle takes 2-3 hydras and you have lost 30 PRES? Not. Later you have perhaps made 10 hydras and if marines come with grenade launchers/ARCs your hydras are pretty much dead and they probably havent even killed anyone. If you really want them to work, alien commander has to make whips to throw grenades back but once those whips are dead your hydras are also dead. Hydras just slow down marines and they slow em down pretty much but its not that much fun to spam heal spray 24/7 near hydras just to keep them alive when marines are attacking em. It would be fun if they would kill those marines but they wont so you have to heal em just to slow down marines more, not fun imo. So its not offensive area denial, its defensive structure because it CANNOT kill anyone so therefore it cannot be offensive. Also after playing gorge often Im starting to hate hydras and dont make em anymore, they are waste of PRES and definitely not a fun structure if they cannot kill anyone.

Goo-wall - This perhaps would work if hydras would kill someone but I think this will become gorges number 1. spam ability, making goo-walls everywhere because hydras are useless.

You made it sound that things arent that bad how people let em sound, but there isnt much more to do than spam hydras and cysts. Where is the tactical part of being gorge? Decide aliens upgrades, making the hive, resources etc. I dont say that gorge has to work same like in NS but at least for me its not that fun atm and more I play as gorge, the more I hate it :/
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    This thread is nostalgia kicking in, that's all it is. NS2 is quite different from NS1, and that's a good thing. Change does not always mean forward movement, but in this case it is. If gorges were to build structures there would be no use for the comm then. Gorges are now more field oriented and that's been working out great so far. Accept the change guys, embrace the future.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Maybe the khamm could "load" a drifter onto a gorge who would then be able to place a building.
    <!--quoteo(post=1908230:date=Feb 29 2012, 02:06 PM:name=cake.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cake. @ Feb 29 2012, 02:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908230"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This thread is nostalgia kicking in, that's all it is. NS2 is quite different from NS1, and that's a good thing. Change does not always mean forward movement, but in this case it is. If gorges were to build structures there would be no use for the comm then. Gorges are now more field oriented and that's been working out great so far. Accept the change guys, embrace the future.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is far from nostalgia kicking. You can bypass gorges current problems, but it needs something yet. Giving even one tactical structure for gorge would be good. Quote from my post:

"2.4a Movement chamber - Able to teleport through movement/shift chambers and could be build anywhere on infestation. Would cost 15 PRES, limited to one per gorge and if gorge changes form/dies the chamber would die also. Too big to make it in vents.
    2.4b Defence chamber - Would work same like crags. Anyway crags are bit too weak atm so a little buff would be in place. Would cost 15 PRES, limited to 2 per gorge.
    2.4c Sensory chamber - Would work same like in NS. Would cost 15 PRES, limited to one per gorge.
    -One of these 2.4 structures would be chosen. You wouldnt be able to build all of these as yourself but this would make it more reasonable to have more gorges. Also it would allow to change strategies as gorge. You could rechoose the way if you would evolve to gorge again, at the cost of 10 PRES and previous chambers would die."

Gorges wouldnt be able to choose techs, wouldnt be able to make harvesters/hives and so on. This would give something different tactics for gorges who are bored to only spam hydras and cysts. At least Im VERY bored to spam hydras and heal spray to keep em alive... Something like that I would want to have, not only being hydra/heal spray spammer.
  • kororaskororas Join Date: 2010-09-16 Member: 74043Members
    Make Hydras more cost effective, wait for the goo wall. Then lets see what happens.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The alien commander is here to stay and he needs a role. There's simply no way to let the gorge build structures without robbing the commander of his biggest purpose.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Gorge can help speed up construction of Drifter structures currently, although I never see Gorge do this at all...
  • YotopiaYotopia Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75176Members
    Most players dont know that gorges can help/speed up building structures.

I like the current gorge.But hydras are so to such an extend weak that i even cant descripe it.

Please make the spikes do more dmg or maybe make it that all three heads of the hydra shot a spike at the same time (maybe some upgraded version of hydra what the gorge or com can apply).

Increase the fire rate or give the spikes some kind of a short lasting poison which does small extra dmg to marines over time.

Give them more range or speed up the spikes.

And yes i would also like that the gorge could build small versions of crag, whip and shade....why he got the mini cyst then ? what is the problem if alien commander and gorge can build structures (RTs and Hive i would restrict only to commander)...i think it would make the game much more deeper.
    <!--quoteo(post=1908272:date=Feb 29 2012, 05:11 PM:name=Yotopia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yotopia @ Feb 29 2012, 05:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908272"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And yes i would also like that the gorge could build small versions of crag, whip and shade....why he got the mini cyst then ? what is the problem if alien commander and gorge can build structures (RTs and Hive i would restrict only to commander)...i think it would make the game much more deeper.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed. I think people think automatically if you say "let gorge build more structures" that you mean hive/rt's. Nope, but currently gorge is only HYDRA spammer, not more or less, meaning in structure side. You can help commander to put mini cysts early but imo after second hive its worthless to help commander with cysts, because with 2 hives you have enough energy or you just simply cannot expand further without marines killing em. So far you are placing ONLY mini cysts on wall and then hydras, you cannot place hydras to protect even ###### harvesters because they are too weak. Lets see how it is when (they have to, no choice srsly ;p) they buff hydras.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1908261:date=Feb 29 2012, 09:38 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Feb 29 2012, 09:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908261"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorge can help speed up construction of Drifter structures currently, although I never see Gorge do this at all...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Generally because there is no feedback to it and the saved time is usually negligible.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    I personally prefer the NS1 building style where the role is given to the gorge but out with the old and in with the new. My problem is that I would like to see more asymmetry between marine comm and alien khamm.
    Its a little too symmetrical and drifters are too much like Zerg Drones.

Aesthetically speaking, seeing insect-like drifters magically poofing into worm-like (harvesters and whips), fungus-like (shades, crags shifts) structures seems very odd.

I know this would take a whole lot of work and isn't practical when the release date is this summer but, I'd love to see hives create harvesters as AI units that the commander can control. Harvesters will puke infestation as they travel, the infestation will only remain when supported by a cyst chain. The harvester would then travel and latch onto res nodes, gathering resources while taking damage until a cyst chain is made to support it.

As for whips, I'd like to see their animation change, so that they travel by slithering, like the harvester would.
    As for the other structures, shades, crags, shifts. They look very stationary, so I feel they should simply grow out of the infestation. Like the infestation bulges, starts to glow and as the infestation bulge peels back, the structure is left.

What does the drifter do then? I feel the drifters should be casters. They already have flare. Why not have drifters release trails of umbra? or trails of spores? or trails of pheromones to show where to attack, defend or etc.or evolve into an offensive form of babblers. (versus the defensive form of babblers that are smaller and swarm out of the crag upon activation) Why not have drifters interact with crags in order to allow them to create babblers.

Change drifters to Tres AND, getting back to the topic of this thread, cysts and gorge's mini cysts can be upgraded into structures such as whips, shifts, shades and crags. Aesthetically speaking, cysts already look like the cores of or components of these structures. This could also allow structures to be built along the walls.

I believe this gives Khamm's much more micro to manage, more things to spend Tres on and gives gorges the ability to build encampements, in vents and along walls. Encourages more gorge and khammander teamplay. Is highly asymmetrical to marine commander and pleases NS1 gorge builder fans and enhances the Khammander role.

Otherwise I think the crag, whip, shift, shade activated abilities, separate shells, veils, spurs for upgrades is a great idea. I can't wait for the implementation of tendrils and dynamic infestation.

I miss gorges being able to build in vents and larger vent spaces and hidden rooms in vents, a la repair room vent in Tram.

The marine comm feels very solid for the fact that NS1 had a marine comm.
    NS2's khamm hasn't had that luxury and I think it needs a lot of careful planning to make it as intuitive, asymmetrical, balanced and fun as possible. (emphasis on asymmetrical)
    I think I speak for UWE when I say that the last thing I would like to see is Khamm gameplay mechanics becoming a ripoff of Comm mechanics.

Something off topic that needs another thread:
    Alien and Khammander HUD needs improvement to show more information, researched abilities, finished hives, structures, number of Hives, which Hive is under attack, when hydras are attacking or taking damage, etc.
    Marine and Commander HUD has managed to do this, while sticking to the theme of simplicity. I hope the same can be done for aliens especially, since melee attacking makes things a little chaotic.

Anyway keep doing what you're doing UWE, NS2 is turning out to be an amazing game and its come such a loooong way since its alpha and is continuing to surprise me every day and is still more fun than most games out there currently, even if its only a beta. Thats a huge accomplishment and you have my full support and input as a caring community member, like everyone on this forum.
    <!--quoteo(post=1908272:date=Mar 1 2012, 12:11 AM:name=Yotopia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yotopia @ Mar 1 2012, 12:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908272"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And yes i would also like that the gorge could build small versions of crag, whip and shade....why he got the mini cyst then ? what is the problem if alien commander and gorge can build structures (RTs and Hive i would restrict only to commander)...i think it would make the game much more deeper.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with this, it seems like Gorge should at least be able to build Crags/Shades/Shifts once they've been chosen by the comm, as well as having better Hydras or even Whips as well. I also don't know why he can't have any building rights except little mini-cysts that as someone else said, just feel laborious when you've got nothing to do with them except a few lousy Hydras.

what made NS1 awesome was it's asymmetry, which NS2 lacks at the moment.
  • XosteanXostean Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146370Members
    Gorges support their team in more than 1 way without this ability. (Examples, Healing, Defensive Construction, Spreading creep)

This would also make the alien commander practically useless.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    Allowing gorges to build -> the solution to alien commander.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    while I support this idea fully, it won't happen.

Charlie stated more than once, he refuses to remove alien commander, and its here to stay no matter what. So even if it doesn't work, he will still support it...

gorge has no role in this game currently, all he can do, and been doing is spam hydras and be field medic. The role has been dumbed down so much, it isn't fun playing this class. That is why charlie is adding this "goo wall" idea for the class, maybe make him fun or useful again.