gorge buy menu

sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
<div class="IPBDescription">seriously uwe?</div>do we realy have to select each time we have to build a cyst from that build menu? thats not streamlined at all and just annoying. cant we just scroll though the build menu with the mousewheel and "lock" whatever we want to build so you dont have to select it each time again? the way it was before?

Comments

• autograderautograder Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106181Members
    edited February 2012
    I believe there might be (or in the future) a way to bind a single direct key.

At first my impression was the same, "arg! which damn key twas it again? damnit UWE why the change", but then once I memorized 2.1. and 2.2 I could quickly build without even having the menu appear.

Either way, a nice enhancement would be to have the right mouse button place the item and allow you to place another one. So left click places one and ends it. Right click places one and lets you continue.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1907245:date=Feb 27 2012, 07:22 AM:name=autograder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (autograder @ Feb 27 2012, 07:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907245"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe there might be (or in the future) a way to bind a single direct key.

At first my impression was the same, "arg! which damn key twas it again? damnit UWE why the change", but then once I memorized 2.1. and 2.2 I could quickly build without even having the menu appear.

Either way, a nice enhancement would be to have the right mouse button place the item and allow you to place another one. So left click places one and ends it. Right click places one and lets you continue.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Right click should always be heal. They need to make it so that it just lets you continue to place them without reselecting, so you only need to go back through the build menu again to pick another structure. You can cancel building by going back to spit/bilebomb.
  • autograderautograder Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106181Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1907248:date=Feb 26 2012, 04:09 PM:name=Arkanti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti @ Feb 26 2012, 04:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907248"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Right click should always be heal. They need to make it so that it just lets you continue to place them without reselecting, so you only need to go back through the build menu again to pick another structure. You can cancel building by going back to spit/bilebomb.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh that's right, good point - healspray <i>should </i>always be right click.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Having the menu disappear and switching back to whatever with a 'last weapon' key would be helpful. That's the only problem I have with the menu besides not having hydra as the priority item 1.
  • eisigereisiger Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75159Members
    Make Slot 2 the designated Build ability, and every time you hit the hotkey while it's still out, cycle through available buildings.
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    I've ranted a little about the menu ...everybody else seemed to disagree by ignoring ;)
    <!--quoteo(post=1906383:date=Feb 23 2012, 10:46 PM:name=Zeno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeno @ Feb 23 2012, 10:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906383"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This thread however proves that not everyone is happy with the "tf2-mechanic"

I think the devs could make everyone happy by white-listing every future build menu modification.(since it doesn't give you an unfair advantage but only makes the game control more comfortable)
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah loving everything about NS2 at the moment, except this gorge menu :P
    It's 'okay' but a bit meh :|
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm ok with the menu, but agree with the sentiment that it should stay on the cyst/hydra/goo wall selection until you change it.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    The current gorge menu is horrible, sorry! I don't want 3 big icons taking up the entire middle of the screen...I don't need to see lifesize representations of the things.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1907312:date=Feb 26 2012, 08:54 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Feb 26 2012, 08:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907312"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The current gorge menu is horrible, sorry! I don't want 3 big icons taking up the entire middle of the screen...I don't need to see lifesize representations of the things.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I assume this is a ui resolution not scaling problem because the icons are pretty small for me at 1920x1080.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1907302:date=Feb 26 2012, 04:54 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Feb 26 2012, 04:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907302"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm ok with the menu, but agree with the sentiment that it should stay on the cyst/hydra/goo wall selection until you change it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed with this, the icon is already saved, so no sense not keeping the selection active even if switched away and back to build menu.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1907245:date=Feb 26 2012, 01:22 PM:name=autograder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (autograder @ Feb 26 2012, 01:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907245"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe there might be (or in the future) a way to bind a single direct key.

Either way, a nice enhancement would be to have the right mouse button place the item and allow you to place another one. So left click places one and ends it. Right click places one and lets you continue.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

while ive memorized 2,1. I dont like all the extra keyclicks, waiting to drop a cyst when i already have the placement ready for it
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited February 2012
    Pressing q brings up the build menu, q-1 and q-q is really not that much of a hassle.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1907315:date=Feb 27 2012, 03:16 AM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Feb 27 2012, 03:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907315"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I assume this is a ui resolution not scaling problem because the icons are pretty small for me at 1920x1080.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's the same resolution I use.
  • MajinMajin Join Date: 2003-05-29 Member: 16829Members, Constellation
    I have started to get use to having to use the menu.. but I still don't like having to do it for placing Cysts..
    I want to be able to place cysts on the fly and move on.. I liked the old way far better compared to the menu
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1907143:date=Feb 26 2012, 02:44 PM:name=sheena_yanai)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sheena_yanai @ Feb 26 2012, 02:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907143"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->do we realy have to select each time we have to build a cyst from that build menu? thats not streamlined at all and just annoying. cant we just scroll though the build menu with the mousewheel and "lock" whatever we want to build so you dont have to select it each time again? the way it was before?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    After one round i realy enjoy it because its very simple to buy stuff.
    the only problem is, i have to adabt that bilebomb is now #3 not #4...in a hectic situation i buy and place a cyst sometimes.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    I like the menu, and have no problems with the style of it, but please release it from the servers feedback, so that it is much more responsive. For me thats what makes it frustrating, not clicking 2, 1, leftclick, but 2, wait a bit, 1, wait some more, then click. It can really slow down rushed defenses.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    The menu is fine (well, apart from the hideous design).

The only thing we need is a "last used weapon"-keybind, then chaining cysts or building hydrafarms will be a cakewalk again.
  • TailorTailor Join Date: 2003-02-24 Member: 13927Members, Constellation
    I think it is really quite good personally.

The only thing I would like changed is if I enter the menu, and want back out because I don't have enough res, you have to select the cyst, then you're back to the normal context of the keys.

Unfortunately, this isn't intuitive. Should change it so you can select any of the build options, regardless of res, but then not be able to place.

For clarification, you literally *cannot* select anything but a cyst from the menu with less res than necessary for the selection, forcing you to stay at the window.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Keep in mind that the visual look of the menu is placeholder and will be redesigned (along with the entire alien HUD).

Some PTs and folks at UW didn't like having to open the menu each time you had to build either. The reason I went this way is I thought it was more important to have RMB always healspray - that extra heal spray just in time could save your life. I also want to minimize being in a "mode" as much as possible.

My thought that simply tapping 1-1 every time you want a cyst and 1-2 for a hydra was pretty darned simple. The fact that it's consistent seems more important to me than saving a keystroke for each duplicate you want to build. We'll see how the community feels after they've used it this way for a bit.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    can't you have it 'save' the last used building so you can just LMB click again to place another structure, and press 2 again to change what you're building?
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    How about... Pressing the build key would simply scroll through available buildings? *press build key* <Cysts> *press build key* <Hydras> *press build key* <Goo Wall> -and keep it at the current selection? And then, if you go to <Weapon 1> for a while and come back to <Build key>, it would be the building you last had selected/built?

Simple is pwetty yes? :3

Of course, it's not hardcore not being able to select a building without paging through 2 other buildings first - but neither is 1,2's and 1,1's? :)
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1907647:date=Feb 28 2012, 01:15 AM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Feb 28 2012, 01:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Keep in mind that the visual look of the menu is placeholder and will be redesigned (along with the entire alien HUD).

Some PTs and folks at UW didn't like having to open the menu each time you had to build either. The reason I went this way is I thought it was more important to have RMB always healspray - that extra heal spray just in time could save your life. I also want to minimize being in a "mode" as much as possible.

My thought that simply tapping 1-1 every time you want a cyst and 1-2 for a hydra was pretty darned simple. The fact that it's consistent seems more important to me than saving a keystroke for each duplicate you want to build. We'll see how the community feels after they've used it this way for a bit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

how about keep the build menu open and keep the selected structure selected whilst building. Then make it so that if you click RMB whilst in build menu, it will close the menu and select weapon 1 (like it does automatically now after selecting a structure)

would that be possible ? :o
  • vsyncvsync Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62602Members
    Building structures are different from attack moves. When building cyst or hydra, you dont really need to spam it and do it extremely fast. I think this system is alright when u get used to it
    There is a way to allow multiple drops without having to keep propping up the build menu. While still having the build menu active at all times and not causing too many problems.

When the build menu opens, instead of choosing a structure and exiting, you choose an active structure, like if you were choosing a weapon. Pressing Q(last weapon) to exit out of build mode and still retain the ability to right click to heal while placing down structures.

If the build selection was kept in the upper left corner like non-quick switch weapon selection in ns1, the visibility wouldn't be compromised. Press 2 for hydra and the hydra icon will become larger to let the player know that they chose the hydra as their active structure. To switch to cyst from hydra, just press 1. And the player would be able to quickly switch between structures without any additional keystrokes.

The only confusion that can happen is a player forgetting that he is in build mode, which aside from the icons in the upper left corner of the screen, there would have to be some larger indication like a different view model or different crosshair.
  • DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
    How about making it so that holding shift while placing structures allows the Gorge to place more multiple structures of the same type?

Example:
    Hold Shift {
    . Click
    . Click
    . Click
    }

Instead of
    Click
    Click
    Click
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1907795:date=Feb 28 2012, 07:01 PM:name=DarkOmen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DarkOmen @ Feb 28 2012, 07:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907795"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about making it so that holding shift while placing structures allows the Gorge to place more multiple structures of the same type?

Example:
    Hold Shift {
    . Click
    . Click
    . Click
    }

Instead of
    Click
    Click
    Click<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i use shift to jump.. not so good
  • ubikjamubikjam Join Date: 2011-10-04 Member: 125618Members
    I started enjoying my Gorge gardening just a few weeks before the new menu and I was considering starting a topic on how to make building easier. There should be distinct build vs "battle" modes so that I dont keep trying to grow cysts on marine heads, the new menu really helps with that. I'd also like to see the range of my hydras when building. This is especially important if hydras become stronger when connected to multiple hives via cysts, HINT HINT...

So it's a positive change for me!
  • goblingoblin Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31412Members
    just make a bindable console command

just like NS1 where my commands for gorge was

F5 -> OC
    F6 -> DC
    F7 -> MC
    F8 -> SC
    F9 -> RT
    F10 -> HIVE