Welder Tool - Questions

2»

Comments

• AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I can't really think of a reason for the build tool's existence as anything other than a base for the welder though, since it doesn't do anything new (and even then it somehow replaces the axe when you put the add-on on! Honestly... ).
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1907020:date=Feb 25 2012, 04:59 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Feb 25 2012, 04:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907020"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can't really think of a reason for the build tool's existence as anything other than a base for the welder though, since it doesn't do anything new (and even then it somehow replaces the axe when you put the add-on on! Honestly... ).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Because it was silly watching marines build structures from the end of their rifles/shotguns?
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1906959:date=Feb 25 2012, 08:19 PM:name=Karnaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Karnaj @ Feb 25 2012, 08:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906959"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I find it funny that all Marines start off with a tool that can build, but not weld. How does the building tool work that's so different from the welder attachment?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You guys are overthinking the builder and welder a bit :P

But, anyway, the general concept is that marines have a small tool that they can easily carry around with them in a pouch at all times, that can be used to bring the marine structures online. The whole term "building" and seeing the spark FX never really fit with the fact that the structures are already dropped fully constructed, and merely deploy from their compact state to their working state. So, the builder is designed to be a tool that runs diagnostic checks on the machines, interfaces with their internal electronics, and brings them online.

The welder tool works very differently, as it is not just a piece of electronic equipment, it actually is used to weld and repair damage and weld doors, so it requires a portable fuel source and a full attachment that has the parts necessary to do that task.

--Cory
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1907002:date=Feb 25 2012, 07:13 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Feb 25 2012, 07:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907002"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lore-wise, the marines don't actually build anything at all; they put their hand in the structure blueprint (though it looks solid in-game) and the nanites (which exist natively all over the ship) are strengthened enough by the presence to overcome the nano-gridlock (the nanites are in constant combat with the Kharaa bacterium, you see) and slowly put the building together.

Without the bacterium, you wouldn't need any human interaction at all to build structures, they'd be finished by the nanites alone in few moments.

I don't remember who made the NS1 backstory, but he was a pretty clever guy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ah, so there <i>is</i> lore that stems from NS1. I didn't realize this until now, and I see the nanites idea isn't simply a running joke. :P Thanks for explaining it to me; now I'm curious too who the original creator is concerning the setting.

<!--quoteo(post=1907032:date=Feb 25 2012, 09:33 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Feb 25 2012, 09:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907032"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You guys are overthinking the builder and welder a bit :P

But, anyway, the general concept is that marines have a small tool that they can easily carry around with them in a pouch at all times, that can be used to bring the marine structures online. The whole term "building" and seeing the spark FX never really fit with the fact that the structures are already dropped fully constructed, and merely deploy from their compact state to their working state. So, the builder is designed to be a tool that runs diagnostic checks on the machines, interfaces with their internal electronics, and brings them online.

The welder tool works very differently, as it is not just a piece of electronic equipment, it actually is used to weld and repair damage and weld doors, so it requires a portable fuel source and a full attachment that has the parts necessary to do that task.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's just me, and I do appreciate the explanation concerning the differences between the two. I think my confusion stemmed from the words 'build' and 'unbuilt' being applied in-game to, in reality, deployed and non-deployed structures. That's why I thought the Marines, or their building tools, were actually putting the structures together instead of merely deploying them. :o

Perhaps this could be accurately portrayed in-game by changing every instance of the word 'build' into 'deploy' and 'unbuilt' into... 'non-deployed'? So text notifications would be "Non-deployed [Structure] (0%)" and the voice command would be, "Deploy structure at waypoint." Nevermind, build already has that ring to it and comms around the world would still be saying it. D:

On a side note, I enjoy games that flesh out their settings, even though online FPS games sometimes have generic backdrops so that players can focus on raw gameplay. NS2 is anything but generic, so I look forward to more story to gobble up and remember as I play. :P And who knows, perhaps the game will inspire sci-fi writers depending on its success, so the more the lore, the better imo.
  • StarkwindStarkwind Join Date: 2011-07-26 Member: 112394Members
    edited February 2012
    Hey guys FYI there is no such thing as aliens... (that we know of ;P)

Why are people getting so hung up on the stupid welder?

But please continue it is comic relief :D!
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    Can welders be dropped when I die please so I can pick it up again :(

Otherwise, it's going to become the most costly weapon there is (non-recoverable) lol...
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1907032:date=Feb 26 2012, 03:33 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Feb 26 2012, 03:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907032"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The whole term "building" and seeing the spark FX never really fit with the fact that the structures are already dropped fully constructed, and merely deploy from their compact state to their working state. So, the builder is designed to be a tool that runs diagnostic checks on the machines, interfaces with their internal electronics, and brings them online.
    I remember thinking something similar, and was excited for NS2 to take the lore into account by having the structures be transparent shells that filled up from the bottom, like in Total Annihilation. I guess that'll never happen now.
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1907102:date=Feb 26 2012, 09:53 PM:name=ogz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ogz @ Feb 26 2012, 09:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907102"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can welders be dropped when I die please so I can pick it up again :(

Otherwise, it's going to become the most costly weapon there is (non-recoverable) lol...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

-1 no

This is my welder. There are many like it but this one is mine. My welder is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my welder is useless. Without my welder I am useless. I must fire my welder true. Before God I swear this creed: my welder and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of my enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1907032:date=Feb 25 2012, 09:33 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Feb 25 2012, 09:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907032"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->etc...The welder tool works very differently...etc<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Great explanation! I enjoyed it. But you could've saved yourself the trouble by using the N word.
  • PekermanPekerman Join Date: 2010-03-07 Member: 70876Members
    why can't the welder attachment keep the builder properties (the scanner). poor marine has to detach the welder everytime he needs to build.
  • autograderautograder Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106181Members
    My recommendations:
    <ol type='1'><li>Need a bind key for "Welder!" with icon over my head (think TF2 medic call)</li><li>Welder carrying marines should have a white shoulder arm patch with a welder icon</li></ol>

From: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=116659" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=116659</a>
  • WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1906524:date=Feb 24 2012, 04:55 AM:name=Codeine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Codeine @ Feb 24 2012, 04:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906524"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if a flame comes from the the tip, you dont weld like that. You need a filler aswell

Only reason i say this is because it doesnt look like a welder in the wiki, it looks like a blow torch<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not to worry - I hear in the next patch you will also need to upgrade the armory to get your TIG certification and purchase a welding mask and welding rods before you can weld. It's going to be part of the meta-game.
  • ChaosNLChaosNL Join Date: 2011-07-31 Member: 113237Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1907032:date=Feb 26 2012, 03:33 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Feb 26 2012, 03:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907032"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The whole term "building" and seeing the spark FX never really fit with the fact that the structures are already dropped fully constructed, and merely deploy from their compact state to their working state. So, the builder is designed to be a tool that runs diagnostic checks on the machines, interfaces with their internal electronics, and brings them online.

Can't the objective given by the commander "Build structure waypoint" be changed to take this wrong term out of the game?

<!--quoteo(post=1907335:date=Feb 27 2012, 05:32 AM:name=autograder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (autograder @ Feb 27 2012, 05:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907335"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My recommendations:
    <ol type='1'><li><b>Need a bind key for "Welder!" with icon over my head (think TF2 medic call)</b></li><li>Welder carrying marines should have a white shoulder arm patch with a welder icon</li></ol><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

or as in NS1 use the hotkey to ask a fellow marine to weld you. giving the marine a pop-up objective "Weld soldier".
    Also the hotkey to give a marine the "Covering you" message, not just the sound you can play by the menu.