Onos = ######

GwexGwex Join Date: 2011-06-17 Member: 104876Members
I just played Onos and I was shocked how lame it is. The attacks dont work correctly so its useless. The going feeling is realy nice, feels like a tank, but you a just a huge punching bag, nothing more. First I wasnt shure if I can eat the mariens or kill them, it took many hits to kill just one of them... In NS1, 2 or 3 hits and the marine was down, also you saw that the Onos was hitting and not like a retard trying to... Hope this will change!

Whats your impression?

Comments

• fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    I enjoy it, but it needs work right now, some of the hits don't detect properly, and the movement is weird because of the way momentum works (turn a corner, lose speed).

It'll all get sorted out though, should be simple to fix all this stuff for the next patch.
  • GwexGwex Join Date: 2011-06-17 Member: 104876Members
    My only thinking was, when the Onos is in Gorilla, actually everthings works for him, thats all ;) But thanks for the reply
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    Well you can't always expect a significant feature such as the Onos to be implemented for the first time and not have a few shortcomings. That is what the Beta is for; the Onos will get another pass, just like the Fade when it was first implemented, as well as the Flame Thrower.

No reason to be pessimistic in this case, we still have up to six months before NS2 is due for v1.0 (if you count up to August). Best to give constructive feedback and be optimistic for future builds.
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    I can honestly say, having access to the test builds and what not, I didn't think the onos was coming out for weeks. Now, obviously that just goes to show you that the devs are burning rubber, but also that they care very deeply about getting this stuff out to you guys and at shocking speed. When you take that approach, things aren't going to be perfect.

That said, I love playing the onos.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It was funny yesterday. 6 went onos as soon as the hive was up. We rushed sub and we all died! :-)
    We just need to learn how to play onos like we did with all the other clases.

I had no idea what thos attacks do and how to keep momentum with gore, but with a bit practice the onos plays like a giatn gorillacat!
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    thanks for the feedback! and yes, most of the current problems can get easily fixed, but we require feedback before we can find out what's broken. One change i already made was increasing the onos' base acceleration (momentum still builds up as before, but you are initially faster). the melee attacks require in general an overhaul, so that's a shared problem throughout the whole game currently
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    i like the slow speed build up as it is right now

make the ono hit and run to build up momentum, nothing wrong with that
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    It takes two hits to down a marine and they also get stunned, but trying to hit a marine is quite fiddly right now. I once hit a marine (yesterday in test) and he landed on my head. So I wasn't sure in which direction I slapped him. The marine recovered from the stun and then proceeded to shoot me, while I wasn't sure where it came from :D

The current Onos is heavily dependant on a Gorge or two and I think the momentum gain is awesome, but the initial speed needs to be higher. When you run into a base right now, you're kinda committed to stay there and do as much damage as possible, preferably accompanied by Gorges. Simply because if you try to leave/escape you can't due to the slow start-up speed and a single marine can stop you by jumping in front of you, while his buddies empty their clips.

Now that he's in we can start fixing the beast that made marines cry for their mommy during the first encounters. OH NOOOOOES!
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    He's huge, he's loud, he looks awesome, he acts awesome, he sounds awesome, he makes the very ground shake and tremble with fear, he makes marines s*** themselves, I'll give them that. He is, also, unfortunately... <i>currently a big bluff.</i>

Onos:
    It feels like you are a giant vicious man eating tiger, an unstoppable killing machine! So awesome!
    However it's only the marines that don't see your crippling lead boots grafted over your would-been murderous claws.
  • VarXXVarXX Join Date: 2011-01-24 Member: 78824Members, NS2 Playtester
    The big problem with the onos is the hit detection right now. Geometry and Models take priority over attacks, and only one thing can be hit at a time. Since the onos melee box is so large, this becomes a problem.
  • WavesonicsWavesonics Join Date: 2006-12-02 Member: 58833Members
    Onos needs more health & armor IMO. They are not the end game tech / base crackers that we need!
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    I havnt had a chance to play as an Onos yet, but from a marines there is one aesthetic improvement that is much needed. The animations need much more work. Very stiff and the transitions are not fluent at all.

Other then that, the onos is big, mean, scary looking creature that on site made me run away like Curly at the end of Three Stooges episode.

Very happy to see it in game finally :D
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Also the onos get stuck alot on stairs and cables hanging around. Mineshaft and summit need to be reworked a bit so that the onos doesn't get stuck all the time.

Also onos with cara has way less hp and armor than NS1 onos without ups.

NS1 onos with no ups: 950HP and 600AP
    NS2 onos with cara: 600HP and 550ap (or 600)

That is a hughe difference if the dmg of SG/LMG are the same as in NS1.

So 3 LMG rines with weapons 0 need only 3s to push out 1500 DMG and a base onos has 1400HP against normal DMG.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    That is how I got 1400 HP for the base onos (600 hp + 2x 400hp = 1400)

Or what do you want to say?
    I missed the word "base onos". My bad, I thought you were using some weird multiplier (lvl3 vs lvl3) :P
  • JowJow Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106032Members
    Give him a cooldown explosive jump thing on shift or something to let him accelerate over small distances, jetpack should have same type of thing also.

Then just sort out clipping on random little things and easier turning and it should help a lot.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    Yeah fighting as an onos is not that satisfying yet.

But the look and feel is there.
    I loved just running around with the Onos.
    And it was worth just stepping into a room those early games because the size and the unknown made marines hesitant.

I would love to have some kind of indicator of which angle is going to shut down my momentum.
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    A fade in good hands is terrifying even if you have a shotgun and you have a friend or two with you, and all upgrades. Onos is just a joke because he can't retreat and heal, and he's slow.
  • gamester_5gamester_5 Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64094Members
    I would love to see the Onos stomp mash rines if they are close enough. It would still have all the same actions just add marine mashing. get close enough to the Dino you will get mashed.

This would stop the marines from blocking him as he trys to exit.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited February 2012
    Admittedly I haven't played a LOT since the patch, but the thing I kept noticing is that players misunderstand the onos (like most of the 'tech' in this game). When your team is ready to crush some stuff and extend your advantage (and you must be at an advantage if you're on 3 hives and can afford 75 res for a lifeform), you get AN onos, or A COUPLE of them. You support them with various other lifeforms (swarm bilebombing gorges, fades with frenzy, lerks gassing, skulks biting etc).

The map architectures (tons of tiny hallways and props to bump into) should be enough to tell you that the onos isn't to be used in big numbers, and has a very specific role. Unfortunately what I saw in the few games I played was people going "LOL ONOS RUSH!!!!!!!11" Of course, they all want to try out the new content, but I think the power of the class will show through when it starts to be used properly (as a big hefty battering ram, like the ultralisk in starcraft).

It's also silly not having a stun ability (or some equivalent), and the current implementation of charge (speeds up over time instead of being triggered) is a design nightmare with how cluttered all the maps are (and will always be). I'd really like to see a triggered charge with a hefty adrenaline cost, so we can get some skill-indexed control over how that part of the class plays.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Am I the only one who is enjoying playing as an onos? Using the same kind of hit and run tactics as ns1, I manage to take out plenty of marines and base equipment. I think the Onos is pretty good at the moment.

The gore is a little off target with sudden movement etc, but I've found it to be one of the most accurate (that is easy to judge impact distance) alien weapons. :P

I'm having great fun with the Onos :)
  • NortonNorton Join Date: 2005-01-13 Member: 35264Members
    The biggest downfall of the onos is the lack of movement control. All you can do is run forward and kinda turn a bit. I feel like some kind of juke or sidestep would be ideal. Being able to move around and prevent your opponent from predicting you is a huge part of fps games, and right now the onos feels constricted and simple. The charge mechanic is really cool but I wish it was easier to strafe around and not hit walls.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    #1 problem that I think is causing people trouble with the Onos is the hitbox on Gore. It's tiny like Bite, not nearly as big as you would expect, and this is especially a problem when your first hit knocks marines to the ground, often completely out of view which makes a followup difficult. The aiming should be a bit more forgiving like it was in NS1.

The first person viewmodel animation of Gore is also pretty confusing. It looks like he's just pulling his horn backwards, not attacking with it.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    nah, the worst thing is the collision box making him lose momentum at every pebble along the way. also having to crouch to get to some places.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1899514:date=Feb 3 2012, 11:55 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Feb 3 2012, 11:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899514"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->nah, the worst thing is the collision box making him lose momentum at every pebble along the way. also having to crouch to get to some places.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's annoying but clearly just buggy - I think what really disgusts people is when they get into a fight and just get killed hopelessly without accomplishing anything because none of their hits are connecting. Losing 75 res like that is super frustrating, and that's pretty much the reason the OP made this thread.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited February 2012
    The gore works great when your with your buddies, marines are so helpless splayed out on the ground. I dont think the onos should be going for kills but rather setting up the other life forms for kills and soaking up damage. Also, what does his second attack do (the smash)? Does it disable turrets or stun marines?
    Also, I really only noticed the hit detection on marines that have been knocked flat (it seemed impossible to hit them as onos!) and while the hitbox was rather small you attacked fast enough that it wasnt too frustrating.

However I think its more fun having onos in-game from the marine perspective. Nothing quite like walking down a hallway and suddenly hearing *STOMP STOMP STOMP* and feeling the floor shake. Quite an atmospheric OH SHI-! moment.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Disables marine buildings, turrets stop shooting, IPs stop spawning, armories stop healing, arms labs stop providing upgrades (have no idea how that is supposed to work).
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    Onos is way too feeble. I'm not so bothered about attacks right now (although, stomp seems pretty useless at the moment, haven't seen it used to great effect). It just dies so quickly. I'd expect the Onos to be able to soak up at least 6 clips of rifle ammo, but it seems to die if there are even 2 marines in the room. I watched an Onos, backed up by 2 gorges, losing health at about 20%/s the gorges could barely keep it alive.
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    Onos is still a work in progress, its probably been pre nerfed so it doesnt completely destroy game balance, we still need to have Heavy Armor and Heavy Machine gun in before any real balance can take place.

I find that the maps arent Onos friendly, they are going to have to be tweaked so that an onos can run around without catching onto anything. I also find that theres no turning animation for the onos, instead it looks like you are floating on the ground, its the same with the skulk, if you sit in 1 place then turn around, it would be nice if they added in an animation for that.