2 Things not brought into NS2 im Furious!

OpolEOpolE Join Date: 2008-04-10 Member: 64057Members
Lerk Bite

Skulk Jump and leap

WHY?

I didn't want to pay for a game that de-advances aspects of NS1.

Im seriously annoyed that I cant jump over an up and coming barrier and leap straight down the corridor. Now ive got to bloody look up and leap over and maybee attach to the ceiling. That is bull######

Comments

• put3rg33kput3rg33k Join Date: 2012-01-02 Member: 139432Members
    So is this supposed to be a QQ thread or are you wanting some type of discussion? The reason why the Lerk lost the bite was noted in the Wiki. Regardless, there are several constructive discussions throughout the forums. I suggest you provide some constructive feedback to the issues instead of trying to rant. Nobody forced you to pay for the beta.. you jumped on that on your own.. I mean you do know what a Beta is, right?

In terms of the Jump and Leap, I have no idea.
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    edited January 2012
    Replace shotgun-spike with bite, they fulfill the same role:
    Shotgun-spike: Ranged "bite"+not very good damage (compared to biting)
    Bite: Melee + better damage than shotgun-spike
    Profit!
    :P

Use Slot 1,
    primary - minigun spikes
    secondary - bite

(or the other way around)
  • PetcoPetco Join Date: 2003-07-27 Member: 18478Members, Constellation
    IMO I think Bite should be brought back. I don't think a lifeform should be limited to a certain number for abilities or attacks.

Also it'd be fun and neat to have bite and spikes at the same time (like in NS 1.0; or 3.0+ if people used the lerk bite + spike plugin).

Fun I say guys!

Fun!
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    if you adjust the range of the spike shotgun and energy usage.. u can more or less end up with the 'bite' functionality
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1897370:date=Jan 25 2012, 11:42 PM:name=Smasher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Smasher @ Jan 25 2012, 11:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897370"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Replace shotgun-spike with bite, they fulfill the same role:
    Shotgun-spike: Ranged "bite"+not very good damage (compared to biting)
    Bite: Melee + better damage than shotgun-spike
    Profit!
    :P

Use Slot 1,
    primary - minigun spikes
    secondary - bite

(or the other way around)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Wrong, shotgun spikes are very powerful, even at medium range.
    2 shotgun spikes to kill armor 0 marine.
    3 shotgun spikes to kill armor 1-3 marine.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1897422:date=Jan 26 2012, 08:41 AM:name=ogz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ogz @ Jan 26 2012, 08:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897422"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if you adjust the range of the spike shotgun and energy usage.. u can more or less end up with the 'bite' functionality<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This, basically, except it wouldn't go from 'effective' to 'complete miss' with no in between ground.

There would be an actual skill curve rather than a vertical line and plateu.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1897422:date=Jan 26 2012, 04:41 PM:name=ogz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ogz @ Jan 26 2012, 04:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897422"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if you adjust the range of the spike shotgun and energy usage.. u can more or less end up with the 'bite' functionality<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1

Relevant:

<!--quoteo(post=1897413:date=Jan 26 2012, 02:06 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jan 26 2012, 02:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897413"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Theoretically, that trade-off stuff is possible. In reality, it doesn't work anything like that.

- When a lerk tracks a marine with spikes at range or in proximity, they cannot easily move sideways or backwards, and tracking becomes much more hopeless the more erratic your motions, so they must fly predictably. Unpredictable movement and effective targeting are mutually exclusive.
    - When a lerk 'tracks' a marine with spores, they must fly predictably (i.e. straight at the marine). Unpredictable movement and effective targeting are mutually exclusive.
    - When a lerk simply flies around to be unpredictable - because they cannot easily move sideways or backwards, but only forwards with turns - they are utterly unable to track targets at the same time. Unpredictable movement and effective targeting are mutually exclusive, and/or the lag time between the two is prohibitive. Between the lerk switching from effective targeting to unpredictable movement or vice versa, there is a time period, a window of opportunity for the marine to attack with impunity.

Meanwhile:
    - Marines can strafe and walk back and forth, while tracking and attacking you at the same time, even at long ranges. They have (some) unpredictable movement and effective targeting at the same time, and/or the lag time between the two is minimal.

For comparison:
    - Skulks and marines can strafe and walk back and forth, while tracking one another - but in proximity, tracking becomes more difficult for both skulks and marines because of the limited FOV. Both sides have (some) unpredictable movement and effective targeting at the same time, and/or the lag time between the two is minimal.

It seems to me that the lerk could greatly benefit from the ability to do 'strafing runs' and/or stay in close proximity with the target while attacking (thereby making it difficult to track with the low FOVs). Heavier-than-air spores that retain the lerk's velocity would help with the former. Bite, or a large-spread / high-damage-dropoff-with-range shotgun spike attack would assist with the latter (the key features of both are that they are very short distance, and very high <b>instant</b> damage per attack). The long-range spike, however... it's hard to see it being used effectively unless the lerk is hovering or stationary (which could be viable if marines are otherwise occupied with other aliens).

<!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->So, what I would suggest:
    Slot 1, Mouse1: High total instant damage, large-spread (essentially, short-range) shotgun spikes.
    Slot 2, Mouse1: High rate-of-fire medium-ranged spikes.
    All Slots, Mouse2: Heavier-than-air spores that retain the lerk's velocity.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    +1

I actually like the shotgun spikes better than bite.
  • Andrew_e1Andrew_e1 Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33331Members, Constellation
    I'm fine with long distance spikes.....I took down a power node the other day without the marines finding me since I was so far away from it lol... 2-3 lerks spiking the same target and you have a really deathly combo.
  • FroztyFrozty SWEDEN Join Date: 2012-01-22 Member: 141596Members
    I still miss the HMG :(
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    We've actually been discussing replacing Lerk alt-spike with bite. Not sure if or when, but possible.

Not sure what you mean about Skulk but he does have leap at 2 hives. There may a problem with jump or a difference with how it worked in NS1 but I don't follow what you're saying.
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1897514:date=Jan 27 2012, 09:05 AM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Jan 27 2012, 09:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897514"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We've actually been discussing replacing Lerk alt-spike with bite. Not sure if or when, but possible.

Not sure what you mean about Skulk but he does have leap at 2 hives. There may a problem with jump or a difference with how it worked in NS1 but I don't follow what you're saying.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In NS1 you could jump and mid jump leap in NS2 the skulk has to be touch the ground to leap you can't leap in mid air...

It make the leap in NS2 feel very restricted...
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1897514:date=Jan 26 2012, 05:05 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Jan 26 2012, 05:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897514"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We've actually been discussing replacing Lerk alt-spike with bite. Not sure if or when, but possible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I really hope this doesn't happen, at least not as long as spikes remain a close/mid range weapon. They would both serve the same function, so all it would really accomplish would be to make Lerks more like Skulks. I would much much rather be able to drop spores with alt-spike.
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1897514:date=Jan 26 2012, 06:05 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Jan 26 2012, 06:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897514"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We've actually been discussing replacing Lerk alt-spike with bite. Not sure if or when, but possible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I really hope this will happen, that would give the primary and secondary (Slot 1) attacks different roles - which I feel they don't really have right now (shotgun-spike invading on machine gun-spike's role)
    I would much rather have two different attacks that perform different roles, and excel at them
    ..than having to choose which of two abilities to use to fulfill the same role - making one or the other not get as much usage.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1897514:date=Jan 26 2012, 05:05 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Jan 26 2012, 05:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897514"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We've actually been discussing replacing Lerk alt-spike with bite. Not sure if or when, but possible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fan of this, the lack of a physical attack makes me feel a bit disconnected from a battlefield.

I'm sure there could be some fun mixtures of spiking and chomping. Like the classic "two bites and a 'site" for a skulk to kill a level 0 marine.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1897514:date=Jan 26 2012, 10:05 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Jan 26 2012, 10:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897514"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We've actually been discussing replacing Lerk alt-spike with bite. Not sure if or when, but possible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Happy happy joy joy!
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1897514:date=Jan 26 2012, 11:05 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Jan 26 2012, 11:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897514"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We've actually been discussing replacing Lerk alt-spike with bite. Not sure if or when, but possible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm not a fan of this idea, partially because I don't like that you've thrown the "no alternate attacks" design philosophy from NS1 out the window and partially because I think a short range spike alternative that actually works properly is a better way to fix one of the problems with the current NS2 lerk. The NS1 bite was great for high skill play, but an absolute nightmare for most public players. Instead of having one weapon for the noobs (rapidfire) and one weapon for the pros (bite), it would be better to have just one weapon that scales well for both segments. Properly worked out shotgun spikes or burst-fire spikes should be up for that task.

Several good suggestions and discussion, including fleshed out ideas for a good primary weapon for the lerk, on the third page of this thread: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=115937&st=40" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...15937&st=40</a>
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    +1 shotgun spikes over bite. Having an alien class that can do reasonable ranged damage is an improvement over NS1
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1897528:date=Jan 27 2012, 12:39 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Jan 27 2012, 12:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897528"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really hope this doesn't happen, at least not as long as spikes remain a close/mid range weapon. They would both serve the same function, so all it would really accomplish would be to make Lerks more like Skulks. I would much much rather be able to drop spores with alt-spike.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you mean shoot spore clouds, I wholeheartly agree.
    I get the feeling aliens lack a proper, mobile area denial weapon at the moment.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1897528:date=Jan 26 2012, 05:39 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Jan 26 2012, 05:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897528"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really hope this doesn't happen, at least not as long as spikes remain a close/mid range weapon. They would both serve the same function, so all it would really accomplish would be to make Lerks more like Skulks. I would much much rather be able to drop spores with alt-spike.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed. Personally, I never liked the addition of bite to the Lerk in NS1. The Lerk is a support class that can more easily counter jet-packers. Adding bite changes the Lerk's role quite a bit.
    <!--quoteo(post=1897661:date=Jan 27 2012, 10:48 AM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Jan 27 2012, 10:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897661"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Lerk is a support class that can more easily counter jet-packers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Like by.. flying/catching up to a JP and bite?

<!--quoteo(post=1897661:date=Jan 27 2012, 10:48 AM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Jan 27 2012, 10:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897661"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Adding bite changes the Lerk's role quite a bit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    How? The shotgun-spike is basically a 50/50 of bite and spikes, rather have 1 (minigun) spike attack and 1 bite attack, than 1 (minigun) spike attack and a half-spike/half-bite attack.
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    Lerk bite, it's a flying rat!
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1897514:date=Jan 26 2012, 10:05 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Jan 26 2012, 10:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897514"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We've actually been discussing replacing Lerk alt-spike with bite. Not sure if or when, but possible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why?

I mean, aside from giving them an even better anti-structure attack, I can't see it fitting with the lerk playstyle at all, if you have to crash into marines and bite them to death, that kind of makes them exactly like a flying skulk.

The shotgun spikes make more sense, they encourage you to get CLOSE but not actually hit the marine.
  • autograderautograder Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106181Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1897671:date=Jan 27 2012, 10:52 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jan 27 2012, 10:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897671"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why?

I mean, aside from giving them an even better anti-structure attack, I can't see it fitting with the lerk playstyle at all, if you have to crash into marines and bite them to death, that kind of makes them exactly like a flying skulk.

The shotgun spikes make more sense, they encourage you to get CLOSE but not actually hit the marine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

QFT
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    edited January 2012
    watching all these people hating on lerk bite is shockingly funny.

all the changes you been seeing done to the lerk (bad attempt) was to make the lerk more close combat fighter. (was charlie words)
    For example changes to his spores, short range spikes etc

so why would someone want to hate lerk bite? It worked for years, we all know that (at least those who played ns1) its pretty clear charlie trying new things and realizing the ideas don't work.

here some basic idea;

slot 1
    primary attack: bite
    secondary attack: spores (not the current model)

slot 2
    primary attack: spikes (short range)
    secondary attack: umbra (thats right, lerk needs umbra and maybe one of these games it can actually be used in combat. ability must be given to mobile player so it can be given to everyone on the map without the current limits of umbra)

OR remove spikes, and replace slot 2 with umbra. Umbra will be given to the lerk after second hive is built. (hive ability unlocked)

edit

as for leap. its still not fixed, after how many builds is this?
    I try to bring it up some time, but it goes ignored because the current leap model must be better...
    bring back ns1 leap, the current mini-leap is really weak with predicable movement.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2012
    why do we want to make the lerk a close combat fighter? every single other alien lifeform is a close combat fighter except the gorge, whose role is support. why can't the aliens have nice things (ranged units)?

in fact i'm going to argue that from a strategic standpoint, not giving the aliens any ranged units will make the game impossible (literally impossible) to balance.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1897665:date=Jan 27 2012, 10:17 AM:name=Smasher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Smasher @ Jan 27 2012, 10:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897665"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you've ever gone against a really good lerk in NS1 I shouldn't really need to explain it.
    <!--quoteo(post=1897692:date=Jan 27 2012, 02:06 PM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Jan 27 2012, 02:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897692"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you've ever gone against a really good lerk in NS1 I shouldn't really need to explain it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What an insightful argument, thank you.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Lerk bite worked in ns1 because lerks were fast. I dont think i need to state how slow lerks are in NS2 and how silly it would be to expect them to kill their velocity in order to attack marines.
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1897700:date=Jan 27 2012, 03:03 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Jan 27 2012, 03:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1897700"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lerk bite worked in ns1 because lerks were fast. I dont think i need to state how slow lerks are in NS2 and how silly it would be to expect them to kill their velocity in order to attack marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Could always just speed the Lerk up and remove the "hide"/tweak tankiness, I'd prefer having a fast and agile Lerk, but a bit squishier, than a slow moving and heavy "tanking" Lerk, just how I feel anyway..