Sound Problems

NelerathNelerath Join Date: 2011-05-31 Member: 101808Members
So I had extreme difficulty playing the game for awhile and thus haven't looked at it in quite some time, but I've got a new computer and it runs fine so things are looking up! Anyways I've had a LOT of difficulty hearing things in NS2 in far back builds and in the latest one. I can hear everything my guy is doing just fine, and I can hear voice chat fine. But any ambient sounds, footsteps, gunfire, bites, all of those that are from other players are EXTREMELY muffled. I had this issue on my old computer and on my new one. This has been really irritating as it makes sneaking up on me as a skulk all too easy and I even have trouble telling how many skulks there are when they are biting an extractor or something. I am used to listening to footsteps in all my FPS games from my old CS and NS1 days so it's not that I am just a mindless retard who doesn't pay attention. I just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem and if Unknown Worlds was working on it or not since I am very out of touch with the community.

Comments

• vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1894460:date=Jan 14 2012, 03:07 PM:name=Nelerath)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nelerath @ Jan 14 2012, 03:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1894460"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So I had extreme difficulty playing the game for awhile and thus haven't looked at it in quite some time, but I've got a new computer and it runs fine so things are looking up! Anyways I've had a LOT of difficulty hearing things in NS2 in far back builds and in the latest one. I can hear everything my guy is doing just fine, and I can hear voice chat fine. But any ambient sounds, footsteps, gunfire, bites, all of those that are from other players are EXTREMELY muffled. I had this issue on my old computer and on my new one. This has been really irritating as it makes sneaking up on me as a skulk all too easy and I even have trouble telling how many skulks there are when they are biting an extractor or something. I am used to listening to footsteps in all my FPS games from my old CS and NS1 days so it's not that I am just a mindless retard who doesn't pay attention. I just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem and if Unknown Worlds was working on it or not since I am very out of touch with the community.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hey Nelerath,
    I'm sorry to hear you having issues with your sounds playing while in game. Could you possibly record a video of this happening and upload it somewhere like youtube? Also, are you getting any console errors when the sounds should be playing? Next time your playing, if you experience sound problems, can you watch your console and if you see errors, can you post them for us?

After every time NS2.exe runs, it logs everything that is posted to the console in a log file. Once you open NS2.exe back up, it overwrites your old log file. To get to this log file, locate Natural Selection 2 in your AppData\Roaming folder (C:\Users\yourusernamehere\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2). If your game is posting errors to the console, please post those errors by grabbing them from the log file in the folder.

Hopefully, UWE will be able to track down the issue and fix it for you in a future build.
    Hope this helped...
  • NelerathNelerath Join Date: 2011-05-31 Member: 101808Members
    Awesome I'll get that stuff right now, so happy on my new comp I can actually fraps things!
    I take that back I can record BF3 on ultra with no problem but NS2 is another story >.>... Anyways while trying to time my video to perfectly capture when the sound is terrible I was paying as much attention to sound as I could and it sounded as if they've tried to make it so that noises are muffled when coming through walls and around corners? My sound problems have been sporadic, so could it be the game is glitching and determining that there is something between me and everyone else which is why it is muffled and sporadic?
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1894465:date=Jan 14 2012, 09:38 PM:name=vizioNz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizioNz @ Jan 14 2012, 09:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1894465"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey Nelerath,
    I'm sorry to hear you having issues with your sounds playing while in game. Could you possibly record a video of this happening and upload it somewhere like youtube? Also, are you getting any console errors when the sounds should be playing? Next time your playing, if you experience sound problems, can you watch your console and if you see errors, can you post them for us?

After every time NS2.exe runs, it logs everything that is posted to the console in a log file. Once you open NS2.exe back up, it overwrites your old log file. To get to this log file, locate Natural Selection 2 in your AppData\Roaming folder (C:\Users\yourusernamehere\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2). If your game is posting errors to the console, please post those errors by grabbing them from the log file in the folder.

Hopefully, UWE will be able to track down the issue and fix it for you in a future build.
    Hope this helped...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So that ain't normal? I got the same thing since 187 I think. If I build something it is impossible to hear a Skulk even if he run straight at you. I always build 1s the turn around and back to build.

I can remember a situation on Sub Sector RT. I was building the RT facing my back to vent. I build 2s and turned to vent to look out for incoming skulks. Ok nothing there. Build the RT for 2s and turned my LOS back to vent. I almost pissed in my pants as I saw a Skulk around 2m away from me on the catwalk. Never got shocked so much in a game.
    I asked the Skulk where he was hiding. He answered nowhere, he just walked on the floor from vent to me.

The funny thing is I hear my fellow Marines even if a Wall is between us. I can locate them by sounds very easy but not the Skulk. All the other lifeforms like the Lerk are goot to hear if they flap or the gorges jump.
    I haven't played enough to really listen for gorges/lerks/fades yet. But the skulk is the one I mainly notice the issue with. I am just running along and suddenly a skulk is behind me biting me and if not for the red indicators flashing on my screen I'd have never known. Or I go to where I know there are skulks due to the minimap and they're chomping away on an extractor and it is so muffled I don't know how many of them there are or where they're at on the damn thing. It seems like a feature of the game that is just fluking for me since I assume that they wanted sounds to be muffled through walls for realism.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think part of the issue was that it used to be that game sounds were drowning out the voice chat so UWE reduced the volume of the game sounds. You can adjust some of this in the options (mainly games vs voicechat vs music volumes). However, either a youtube video or even an wav/mp3 would help us out.
    Turned down my settings in NS2 to get a recording of it, Youtube is taking forever with their download however so I'll post the link when it is done.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    after the latest build my sounds has decreased over 80 % ingame, someone else having that issues?
    edited January 2012
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDQedr8Nmwg&feature=youtu.be" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDQedr8Nmwg...eature=youtu.be</a> During the first 10 seconds or so the skulks sound really muffled to me, now of course after about 10 seconds I am hurt down to 10 HP and the game muffles EVERYTHING then but I am fairly certain that's an intended feature.
  • simon kamakazisimon kamakazi Join Date: 2009-04-28 Member: 67296Members
    edited January 2012
    ahh i see (hear) whats happening there

u were bit by the skulk and ur health was low, and so we run a lowpass filter ro simulate the feeling of being close to loosing consciousness. what ur hearing is ment to happen it has some issues, tho, it dosnt fade in but just starts on at its max setting, so it seems a little un natural and glitchy, also theres a bug where it is only muffling the direct sound and not the room reverb signal. so u hear more of the reverb than normal sound so everything sounds distant,

-edit oh sorry ur saying this isnt the bug but sounds similar to the bug, ok when i happens could u plz make a video, its very helpful if i can hear and see the bug,

cheers
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    Mute everyone that talks *happy panda*. That's what I do.
    The first 10 seconds or so was a decent instance of it, not the best but passable. Before I was bit by the skulk there is another skulk chewing on our extractor and when the first skulk leaps. All those sounds seemed really muffled and quiet to me. As I said I know that it is SUPPOSED to happen when I am injured but it sounds muffled like that before I am bitten.
  • acid_rainacid_rain NS2 NAPT Mascot Austin, TX Join Date: 2010-02-16 Member: 70588Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Could you post what kind of sound card you use and the bitrates and hertz you're using as well?
    I am not the best with computer hardware but looking through my device manager the only sound devices I have are: AMD High Definition Audio Device, Intel® Display Audio, and Realtek High Definition Audio. As for my bitrates and hertz I have no idea how to find those.
  • simon kamakazisimon kamakazi Join Date: 2009-04-28 Member: 67296Members
    this isnt a problem with your sound card or anything, its just the geometry obstruction needing some work. the sounds of the skulk there were being blocked by therailings and steps. its somthing we need to fix up

cheers