The real issues

measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Stop talking poopie</div>
What the hell are (alot of) you crappong on about this 'learning curve' what ever crap?
The real issue is hive-sight/sound.
The choatic nature of the hivemind is not ergonomic/fit for human compliance.

Never know where a havrvester is being attacked. Overlapping instructuion from hive and all those things need work.

Comments

• HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    I don't really understand what you mean, there's certainly more pressing issues than hive-sight and sound, which is already being addressed with Flarya's pheromone system. Plus the way you said "The real issue" makes it sound like that's the main problem, which its not, as communication between the alien commander and his teammates would alleviate this. Plus, that doesn't even address the marine side; which is the side that currently is a lot less forgiving in the event that a new player makes a mistake in judgement or is insufficient in skill.
    Honestly I'm just wondering which topic he's continuing on from, so I can have some context.

If he's talking about the hive sight being a chaotic mess, then yeah, I'll agree. There are a number of ideas that could alleviate this, like giving different things different symbols, scaling the size/translucency of icons with importance and proximity, omitting needless (to the player) information, and perhaps somehow hacking it so that distant (and therefore less important) icons render in an established background (like don't draw it or give it very high translucency when the icon is behind allied and enemy units), allowing a player to focus on the important things.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1892282:date=Jan 1 2012, 04:53 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jan 1 2012, 04:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892282"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->what<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ^This^

@Topic, are you drunk or high?
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I somewhat agree with op.... but only somewhat.

The marines got a shiny new Hud with important information and so on.
    Aliens got still the old HUD showing only armor, health and sometime some dots from parasites or aliens under attack. It is pretty cluttered by contrast to the marine HUD.

However, I am sure that UWE will redesign it too when they have time.
  • Tool8Tool8 Join Date: 2012-01-01 Member: 139405Members
    I would like to see L4D-style silhouettes of parasited Marines. The way it is right now is okay for a mod but it doesn't look very polished.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1892313:date=Jan 1 2012, 01:58 PM:name=Tool8)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tool8 @ Jan 1 2012, 01:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892313"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would like to see L4D-style silhouettes of parasited Marines. The way it is right now is okay for a mod but it doesn't look very polished.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd love something like this as well :-)
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    edited January 2012
    That's what a minimap is for. Learn to use it.
    edited January 2012
    I'm not saying I'm having any problems using the minimap. But I think silhouettes would help new players understand, what parasite actually does. Plus it looks great and a lot more polished. Your argument is like saying "What are ARCs for? Learn to use shotguns instead!"
    Not at all. Did you ever play NS1?

Good players learned how to use the minimap. Without it, you can be severely disadvantaged. Knowing what's going on in another room on the other side of the map, knowing your RTs are going down etc. and communicating, that's all intertwined with good use of the minimap.

It's a lot deeper than ARCs/Shotguns, it's about teamwork, communication and organising yourself and others. It's something which helps this "curve" you don't seem to get. And yes it really is a big difference between a good player and an average/bad one, using the minimap is a huge advantage to a better player.
    edited January 2012
    Yes I have played NS1 a lot. And I do know how to use a minimap. I'm not arguing about good use of minimaps being essential for victory. You're right about that. Still, I don't think these are any reasons against silhouettes... Really. If you're so good at using a minimap you probably don't need Alien Vision as well, do you? Should Alien Vision be deleted from the game? I don't think so.

We're not even arguing about a new gameplay feature here. You can see parasited marines through walls in Natural Selection already! We're just speaking about how it should look like. And imo silhouettes would look a lot better and most of all be A LOT more accessible.
  • scottyscotty Join Date: 2011-07-01 Member: 107400Members
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1892334:date=Jan 1 2012, 07:14 PM:name=Tool8)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tool8 @ Jan 1 2012, 07:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892334"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes I have played NS1 a lot. And I do know how to use a minimap. I'm not arguing about good use of minimaps being essential for victory. You're right about that. Still, I don't think these are any reasons against silhouettes... Really. If you're so good at using a minimap you probably don't need Alien Vision as well, do you? Should Alien Vision be deleted from the game? I don't think so.

We're not even arguing about a new gameplay feature here. You can see parasited marines through walls in Natural Selection already! We're just speaking about how it should look like. And imo silhouettes would look a lot better and most of all be A LOT more accessible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

Love people that keep track of conversation and don't go down any rat holes.
    edited January 2012
    Giving silhouettes is not an amazing idea gameplay wise. The aliens know their is a life form, a person there with parasite. Seeing silhouettes would tell them which class it is, being able to see heavies through walls for me, detracts from any element of surprise.

tl;dr : Silhouettes = easy/noob mode.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2012
    Yea hive sight seems to have too limited a range for one, but i dont see it as being that big of a problem when the minimap is generally both more used and more useful.

As for silhouettes, not only are they silly looking in a game like ns2 (they already look silly in l4d) but as konata pointed out they give too much information e.g. building/what direction facing/class etc. Not to mention its alot easier to quickly count how many red dots there are as opposed to how many overlapping silhouettes imo.

What really needs fixing is the way players, buildings and powernodes give LOS. For example, they give LOS through thin walls and up through vents and ledges that are actually out of LOS. Sometimes you can be staring at aliens on a lower elevation but somehow geometry or props with transparent parts block them from appearing on the minimap. In 189 i'm also seeing instances where aliens chewing on an rt do not show up on the minimap. Atrium vents/glass hallway are good examples of this problem.

*The sound problems are definately a pretty big issue though..
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2012
    What about something like my <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=113590" target="_blank">Parasite Idea</a>?
    edited January 2012
    konata: It's a usability issue. If we could somehow have one eye on the minimap at all times, then what you say is absolutely correct. However, we can't always have one eye on the minimap since it's in the corner of the screen. The minimap is not, and never will be, very conducive to a combat situation.

L4D-style silhouettes would not be noob/easy mode (saying that is just illogical, it's not like a magnetic crosshair), it would just lower the barrier to <u>entry</u>, but wouldn't affect the skill ceiling.

Perhaps you just want your elite community filled with people that believe that you have to put in a minimum of x amount of hours to be merely <u>competent</u> at the game, and everyone else can get screwed (and will get screwed, by you).

I don't think I could criticise you for that, since that's simply your preference.

However, many of us wouldn't agree, since, for us, playing a game is not a job.

tl;dr: Wrestling with the user interface is not "skill", it's just bad design.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->talking about bad game design
    still suggesting silhouettes<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

the current hive sight is meant to simulate the alien sense of "sensing" life forms, you do not sense their shapes, or the direction they look at, or their class

giving aliens the ability to see such silhouettes would just add another imbalance, aliens would know in which directions marines are facing, telling them the exact distance and class based on the shape and size of the silhouette . this would be nothing more than a full grown wallhack, and very frustrating for a marine who just lost his mates and tries to hold his position until help arrives. even though there is a blip telling the aliens where the marine is, they do not know how far he is away, or in which direction he is facing, giving the marine a slightly higher chance to defend himself. silhouettes might be alright if the marine and the alien are just separated by a thin from each other, and when moving away from it it turns into a very vague outline until it just gets a small blip again, the only information it was supposed to give was in the first place telling the aliens from which direction the threat comes from, and not to do precision strikes like a cruise missile, exactly knowing when someone turns around to poke his nose.
    I understand the problems you are pointing out. Silhouettes would make being parasited more punishing. You could counter that for example by making it last maybe only 30 secs and having it slowly fade out during that time. Yes, it would be different from NS1, but that's why it's called NS2 and not NS:Spark. :)

btw. I'm not so sure VALVe is so bad at game design, as they are the ones the silhouette idea comes from.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    You can't really compare NS2 to L4D though, it might look obvious with a ranged team vs a melee team. But the fact that in L4D the melee team puts themselves at great risk of getting killed by using their movement impairing abilities, as it also impairs them as well. They simply have to know which way the survivors are facing to make a decision to use their kill-skills.

In NS2 you have full control over your alien during attacks, making that information a bit too powerful :)
    Umm, does it matter that silhouettes would make parasite more punishing? Shouldn't we be encouraging parasiting?
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    I would be happy to see parasiting get boosted. I hardly ever user parasiting because it just gives away my position and gives the marine a possibility to damage me. I can hear the incoming marines pretty well without parasiting them anyways. Medpaks also counter parasites very effectively even if they were more powerful. Silhuette sounds like a good way to give parasite a boost but there could be better ways too.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1892368:date=Jan 2 2012, 01:37 PM:name=Zeikko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeikko @ Jan 2 2012, 01:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892368"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would be happy to see parasiting get boosted. I hardly ever user parasiting because it just gives away my position and gives the marine a possibility to damage me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's alright, skulks are allowed to die. If you manage to para 1 or 2 marines before going down, it is time well spent. Of course that is so with NS1, where skulks spawn faster and move faster around the map, whereas currently in NS2 skulks are slow as ###### and it has become quite bothersome to die at the other side of the map. It begs re-iterating that movement needs to be fixed before further gameplay-decisions are made.
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1892371:date=Jan 2 2012, 04:11 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Jan 2 2012, 04:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892371"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's alright, skulks are allowed to die. If you manage to para 1 or 2 marines before going down, it is time well spent.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I will choose to kill 1 or 2 marines by ambushing them without giving away my position and getting shot at. If all i got was to parasite 1 or 2 marines before going down i would be disappointed. Especially knowing how easily parasites are cured so i will probably never get to see the benefit of the parasite(s).
    edited January 2012
    You can't compare it. The silhouettes in L4D are designed so you know your own team mates and their class, not the opposing team and their classes.

Giving the ability to see the other teams classes is a huge advantage which would be a massive imbalance. Equally silhouettes overlapping would be a huge mess as opposed to dots you can count on a screen.

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

I honestly don't have a problem with Green dot for gorge/hive, beige dot for friendly and red dot for friendly under attack. With obviously yellow for parasite and yellow/red for sensory that you find in NS. It's not like I even have the best eye sight in the world, it's just not that difficult.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1892374:date=Jan 2 2012, 02:26 PM:name=Zeikko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeikko @ Jan 2 2012, 02:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892374"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Especially knowing how easily parasites are cured so i will probably never get to see the benefit of the parasite(s).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Parasites can be cured? I don't play this game enough...
    <!--quoteo(post=1892378:date=Jan 2 2012, 06:02 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Jan 2 2012, 06:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892378"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Parasites can be cured? I don't play this game enough...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Just pickup a medpack and it's gone.
    Really? Wow. NS2 really has been made so much easier.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1892375:date=Jan 2 2012, 02:45 PM:name=konata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (konata @ Jan 2 2012, 02:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892375"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can't compare it. The silhouettes in L4D are designed so you know your own team mates and their class, not the opposing team and their classes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Never played as infected in l4d? I like the l4d glows but I doubt they will use them in NS2 just because everyone associates them so much with the l4d games. I don't think they want people seeing screenshots and just thinking it's l4d but with aliens. Perhaps after 1.0 once the game has established itself a bit more.
    You can't tell what guns/class the opponents are until you hear them shoot or your team mate tells you. Where as if you see the marines, a heigh difference will immedietely tell you they've got heavies or you can see the jetpack outline to their model.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1892360:date=Jan 2 2012, 01:57 PM:name=Tool8)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tool8 @ Jan 2 2012, 01:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892360"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I understand the problems you are pointing out. Silhouettes would make being parasited more punishing. You could counter that for example by making it last maybe only 30 secs and having it slowly fade out during that time. Yes, it would be different from NS1, but that's why it's called NS2 and not NS:Spark. :)

btw. I'm not so sure VALVe is so bad at game design, as they are the ones the silhouette idea comes from.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Or just counter it with a medpack, just like now?
    Someone was faster..