All servers empty?

Comments

• swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1891926:date=Dec 28 2011, 04:42 AM:name=Shilorius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shilorius @ Dec 28 2011, 04:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891926"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just to speak for myself...
    I am somewhat inactive because I was hoping for the onos and jetpack on 188 ... which didn't happen.
    Plus the bug with the alien spawn time just killed my motivation instantly... and I guess most people of HBZ feel somewhat similar.

The other reason is, that I am addicted to LoL currently..... >.>
    and of course..
    It is christmas and new years eve soon (which results in a huge party in germany)

anyway, I bet if the nex build brings onos, jetpacks and stuff I will go active again.... or, judging from past builds, I will go active again in b191, when all the bugs are fixed resulting of the implimentation of onos and JP ;-)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Alien spawn bug? You mean that they fixed so you can't keep spawning skulks when the whole team constantly dies? :P
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Was wondering about that, but then they apparently didn't set the timers properly as it is becoming very common for an entire alien team to be backed up in the spawn-queue.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1891933:date=Dec 28 2011, 03:14 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Dec 28 2011, 03:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891933"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Was wondering about that, but then they apparently didn't set the timers properly as it is becoming very common for an entire alien team to be backed up in the spawn-queue.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We have been looking into that a lot, and UWE is aware. Hopefully that will be improved in 190.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1891585:date=Dec 25 2011, 08:13 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Dec 25 2011, 08:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891585"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That seems kind of offensive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It is also accurate though, as far as I know many parts of Australia do have pretty bad internet.

It's a huge country but very sparsely populated outside of the major ciites, so its telecommunications are a bit poor compared to more densely populated areas like Europe and most of America.

It does have internet obviously but high speed, reliable, uncapped, affordable internet is rather hard to come by for many people.
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    That doesn't make it bad. Just bad for you.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1891932:date=Dec 27 2011, 11:00 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Dec 27 2011, 11:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891932"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alien spawn bug? You mean that they fixed so you can't keep spawning skulks when the whole team constantly dies? :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    right, that one ;)
    I know that they fixed it in b189 but for me it didn't bring the motivation back...

But I can't wait to play b190 ;-)
    ...and I am looking forward to a few more gathers in b189 !
  • hotd0ghotd0g Join Date: 2004-03-19 Member: 27419Members
    edited December 2011
    I'll be honest, i haven't played regurarly in 6 months or so, but I do check the site every single day for updates. And I think a lot of people do the same as me.

I'll play it when it's worthwhile to play, I supported UW by buying it, it's up to them to make it into a worthwile game now.
    When a new patch is released, i only check the comments to see if the changes are good or not. If they aren't i skip trying the new patch until the next one (which has been like this for the past few patches)
    I realize i'm not really contributing towards the developing process by doing this, but UW needs to realize it's only them who can get the game finished. Maybe they rely too much on community input. Feedback is important, and I realize UW is a small company that doesn't have the resources to do much inhouse testing...But they need to realize they can't overly rely on the community.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited December 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1891942:date=Dec 28 2011, 06:42 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Dec 28 2011, 06:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891942"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is also accurate though, as far as I know many parts of Australia do have pretty bad internet.

It's a huge country but very sparsely populated outside of the major ciites, so its telecommunications are a bit poor compared to more densely populated areas like Europe and most of America.

It does have internet obviously but high speed, reliable, uncapped, affordable internet is rather hard to come by for many people.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I was joking. On the internet, people get offended at everything, often getting offended for other people's sakes. I'm making light of it.

Yes, Australia has terrible internet on average, and for the majority (was that superfluous?). I mean... I live in an area where I don't even get ADSL2+, just ADSL1, running at <4000/384kbit. I pay more for less because of it. It really is vastly dependent on where you live: how close you are to the exchange, the quality of the copper (yes, copper), the technology available at your location, etc.
    *Also, caps aren't that bad, really. For most domestic providers, uploads aren't metered. With some of the plans available, and the prices, you'd be hard-pressed to even hit your cap most months, unless you're an absolute demon for downloading or streaming. It's more a case of ignorance than anything, that leads to people getting crappy, expensive internet - they go with the large telcos with their inferior, overpriced services, rather than doing the slightest bit of research and going with an ISP-focused company for a good price and a LOT of data. For example, 99.95 a month (maybe that's expensive elsewhere?) for 1 terabyte. That is, effectively, uncapped. Who even has the money to buy new hard-drives each couple months, or the time to stream that much data?

But anyway, I don't think quality of internet has anything to do with quality of computer parts - we get them the same way everyone else does. And I think that was really the focus of my previous post: the computer specs, not the internet.
  • VarXXVarXX Join Date: 2011-01-24 Member: 78824Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1891966:date=Dec 28 2011, 05:52 PM:name=hotd0g)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hotd0g @ Dec 28 2011, 05:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891966"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'll be honest, i haven't played regurarly in 6 months or so, but I do check the site every single day for updates. And I think a lot of people do the same as me.

I'll play it when it's worthwhile to play, I supported UW by buying it, it's up to them to make it into a worthwile game now.
    When a new patch is released, i only check the comments to see if the changes are good or not. If they aren't i skip trying the new patch until the next one (which has been like this for the past few patches)
    I realize i'm not really contributing towards the developing process by doing this, but UW needs to realize it's only them who can get the game finished. Maybe they rely too much on community input. Feedback is important, and I realize UW is a small company that doesn't have the resources to do much inhouse testing...But they need to realize they can't overly rely on the community.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Honestly, you should really try them for yourself, there are so many different issues right now that could cause someone else's game to run poorly but not yours. The server they are playing on also matters at the moment.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1891832:date=Dec 27 2011, 05:58 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Dec 27 2011, 05:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891832"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Isn't poor performance the #1 complaint, regurgitated multiple times a week? Which is also the sole reason we do not have a lot of proper servers to play on, as well as the reason that people with laptops or 3-4 year old CPUs cannot (reasonably) play at this time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The performance is definitely #1, but I don't like the idea of putting all the blame on it. It's the one obvious thing and it's really easy to complain it because there's absolutely no denying the game should simply run better.

Then again there are quite a few people who aren't very convinced with the way NS2 handles some gameplay things and all that. It's probably pretty much guessing how big share of players are holding back only due to low performance, but I don't particularly like the idea of sitting back and hoping everyone magically comes back once the game runs smooth enough.
  • legolego Join Date: 2003-06-30 Member: 17819Members, Constellation
    The answer is quite simple.

The game runs poorly on a lot of peoples systems.
  • hatehate Join Date: 2011-07-19 Member: 111206Members
    edited December 2011
    I played every day until either 187 or 188, and ever since then the game loads, i get into a server, then it freezes on whatever the first frame i see is and then goes to a black screen and i have to reset the computer. Every other game I've paid for works, so I'm not going to bother re-configuring my PC because the developers can't bother to make a game that runs.

Not to mention the fact that I already had to upgrade my PC once, after buying the game under the false pretense that the minimum sys specs listed on their website were correct.
  • KrizzenKrizzen Join Date: 2011-12-16 Member: 138181Members
    edited December 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1892055:date=Dec 29 2011, 07:21 PM:name=hate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hate @ Dec 29 2011, 07:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892055"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I played every day until either 187 or 188, and ever since then the game loads, i get into a server, then it freezes on whatever the first frame i see is and then goes to a black screen and i have to reset the computer. Every other game I've paid for works, so I'm not going to bother re-configuring my PC because the developers can't bother to make a game that runs.

Not to mention the fact that I already had to upgrade my PC once, after buying the game under the false pretense that the minimum sys specs listed on their website were correct.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You paid for the final product, but have luckily received an invitation to participate in the beta test. Bugs will exist, and they may come and go between versions. Properly report the issue so the developers can sort it out and perhaps they'll have you back in the game come 189 or 190!
    <!--quoteo(post=1892039:date=Dec 29 2011, 09:11 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Dec 29 2011, 09:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892039"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The performance is definitely #1, but I don't like the idea of putting all the blame on it. It's the one obvious thing and it's really easy to complain it because there's absolutely no denying the game should simply run better.

Then again there are quite a few people who aren't very convinced with the way NS2 handles some gameplay things and all that. It's probably pretty much guessing how big share of players are holding back only due to low performance, but I don't particularly like the idea of sitting back and hoping everyone magically comes back once the game runs smooth enough.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh absolutely, a lot of the gameplay currently is downright dreadful (movement skill-curve for one), but it's hard to start fixing those when the game itself is running terribly. In fact it probably is a good idea that movement isn't properly adressed until the game runs a lot smoother for most folks, as it can be hard enough to hit lifeforms as it is (with the low tick-rate\FPS), you'll just end up with feedback that is only valid with said low tick-rate\FPS.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Krizzen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Krizzen)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You paid for the final product, but have luckily received an invitation to participate in the beta test. Bugs will exist, and they may come and go between versions. Properly report the issue so the developers can sort it out and perhaps they'll have you back in the game come 189 or 190!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well I wouldn't say luckily, as it was clearly advertised and I bet a draw-in for a lot of customers, they just should've cleared up the system-reqs bit a lot sooner.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1892075:date=Dec 30 2011, 05:09 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Dec 30 2011, 05:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892075"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->they just should've cleared up the system-reqs bit a lot sooner.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

these are for the finished product
    With clearing up I ment either remove it, or put a more accurate estimation up there, anything but the 1.6 GHz it used to say.
    <!--quoteo(post=1892075:date=Dec 30 2011, 08:09 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Dec 30 2011, 08:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892075"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh absolutely, a lot of the gameplay currently is downright dreadful (movement skill-curve for one), but it's hard to start fixing those when the game itself is running terribly. In fact it probably is a good idea that movement isn't properly adressed until the game runs a lot smoother for most folks, as it can be hard enough to hit lifeforms as it is (with the low tick-rate\FPS), you'll just end up with feedback that is only valid with said low tick-rate\FPS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm not sure about how it should go. I just hope it doesn't end up being a situation where many inactive players come back and find sufficient performance, but very little refined depth elements and decide to give up the whole thing.

I think I'd prefer to have elements like the skill based movement worked in to the game even now. They probably have to be toned down a lot and all that, but it still seems better than waiting until the performance is fixed and then trying to hastily build up everything on top of predefined engine and gameplay logic that may not offer a good basis for things needed.
    edited December 2011
    Yarr, somewhere half-way would be nice. Gameplay nor performance can justify how slow skulks move at the moment, a bit of a buff would be in order despite low tick-rates\FPS. I'm not so much concerned with players giving up frankly, as there isn't anywhere else to go for your RTS/FPS-fix. If there was I probably wouldn't have stuck around either. [EDIT] oh and the modability of course, as much as I dislike Lua it is still infinitely better than what you get with most other games: NO modding at all. So yeah props to UWE for that one. [/EDIT].

* /Cue people coming up with poor alternatives to NS *
    <!--quoteo(post=1892112:date=Dec 30 2011, 12:26 PM:name=konata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (konata @ Dec 30 2011, 12:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892112"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->RTS/FPS fix?

NS1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's funny because it's true! But it really is starting to look dated now, and the 2-hour turtle-games annoy the ###### out of me.
    Two hour turtle games are frustrating, longest I've seen in the past few months has been 80 minutes.. but yeah, that's annoying... when Aliens aren't good enough (spammy though with OCs) and your marines co-ordination is only worsened by their aim.

A good turtle can be well over within 45 minutes though, so never say never to turtle!
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Trying to summarize :

1) Few players can play because of performance.
    2) Among players that can play a significant part get bored because
    of the lack of depth (low skill cap, few strategies, ...), lack of variety (only one map) and
    annoying gameplay features (npc spam, stalemates, imbalances).

1) + 2) = empty servers.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    For me this started off being the possibility of a more exciting sequel, but to me it feels like it is being dragged further and further back to NS1.

I would really like to see some exciting and creative differences, not 'revert to NS1 when we run into trouble'.
    <!--quoteo(post=1892109:date=Dec 30 2011, 12:21 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Dec 30 2011, 12:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892109"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yarr, somewhere half-way would be nice. Gameplay nor performance can justify how slow skulks move at the moment, a bit of a buff would be in order despite low tick-rates\FPS. I'm not so much concerned with players giving up frankly, as there isn't anywhere else to go for your RTS/FPS-fix. If there was I probably wouldn't have stuck around either. [EDIT] oh and the modability of course, as much as I dislike Lua it is still infinitely better than what you get with most other games: NO modding at all. So yeah props to UWE for that one. [/EDIT].

* /Cue people coming up with poor alternatives to NS *<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    For purely RTS/FPS fix there aren't that many alternatives indeed, but NS1 attracted people way beond the narrow scope of it. It was a good mix of team based shooter and more deatchmatchy gameplay for example. A lot of people moved over to TF2 when it provided at least some alternative with healthy community and fresh competetion even if the game necessarily wasn't equally amazing for higher end play. Some people found RTS in SC2, some went to DotA related games for team based gaming.

Also, I don't know if the other games are necessarily the only worry. The team I spend most time in NS1 has an average age of 25 or so now, me being one of the younger ones. While I've still got time to spend on games, I find myself playing less and less unless there's actually something that seems worthwile. For purely wasting time there are better alternatives than games these days.
  • wankalotwankalot Join Date: 2005-02-05 Member: 39872Members
    Why do I get the feeling that as soon as the final product is released someone will make an NS1 port, which will ultimately be more popular than ns2 itself
    I went to TF2. I came back to NS1, like many of us, when they started adding too many gimmicks.. Oh and the added bonus of the "player drama".

Add to wankalot, perhaps. I know I'd like to be involved in an NS1 port to the Spark engine. I guess it's finding enough people to re-create NS1 on a new engine, particularly when I think about what I'd do, which is mapping. I'd need to evolve my skills or find people who can re-create a lot of the same textures and even evolve some to models.

It's a big task. And I feel possibly only us still die hard NS1'rs would play, but it would be good to see.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    edited December 2011
    188 reworked game balance (rather than improved), and decreased performance. Two very large "No-No"s in game development. Player counts dropped as a result. Now the community is basically a new one for the most part. NS2-2 is the current build, lol, a sequel of the sequel. The community was even providing all the information to avoid these mistakes, but they were ignored :(.

Everyone thinks they know better, even the devs, ;).

I'm afraid the game development will continue on this path, and it's not heading towards that golden city anymore.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    this should be renamed to "The Negativity Thread" to avoid confusion from all the other helpful threads out there. because that's basically what this has digressed to: the thread where people shout, "you're doing it wrong"

personally, at this point id just love for it to be released. especially after playing Nuclear Dawn for the past week. nothing shows age like time
    <!--quoteo(post=1892181:date=Dec 31 2011, 02:23 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Dec 31 2011, 02:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892181"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->this should be renamed to "The Negativity Thread" to avoid confusion from all the other helpful threads out there. because that's basically what this has digressed to: the thread where people shout, "you're doing it wrong"

personally, at this point id just love for it to be released. especially after playing Nuclear Dawn for the past week. nothing shows age like time<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We were having a discussion about an NS1 port to spark there. That's positive. You just came in and ###### all over this with your negativity calling everyone negative. Get over yourself.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    ...except that the germ of the discussion was essentially "NS2 will be so inferior to an NS1 port that people will abandon NS2 for the NS1 port", which does sound a tad negative, don't you think?