Good Graphics Card?

SimpleSimple Join Date: 2011-12-05 Member: 136628Members
Can I get suggestions on a good place to purchase a graphics card & a good one to buy? I currently have a radeon amd hd 4250 and it can't run the game. I have no clue if there needs to be specific labtop compatibility or what. Pretty noob w/ computers any help would be loved <3.

Comments

• TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Get a GTX 590

Pros: You can run anything on max. What's not to like?
    Cons: It costs more than a new computer, which you'll also probably have to build just to house, power, and cool it.
  • SimpleSimple Join Date: 2011-12-05 Member: 136628Members
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    The game is pretty cpu intensive so that plays a pretty big role too.
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    This is more OT but first you need to sort out your budget and then what you want it to do.

A radeon 4250 is also specific to integrated laptop video solutions and thus you'd need to upgrade a laptop, if I remember rightly.
  • mokkatmokkat Join Date: 2009-08-30 Member: 68652Members
    can't upgrade a laptop, dood
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    Hey, a laptop graphics card cannot be upgraded(most of the time, as in, 99% of the time, your case is not an exception, nor should you even try).

If you would then like to say... oh, well that's dissapointing... hmm, what about BUILDING A DESKTOP? Then you have come to the right place.

People often freak out at the thought of building their own desktop computer, it's actually not as hard as one might think, especially if you are going to install windows 7 onto it.

You will need:
    a screwdriver kit
    a computer with the internet(for research and choosing parts).
    about 10 hours worth of studying(including choosing parts). This is total time, can be split up over days or weeks.
    Some help(from me for example).
    about $1200 give or take $300.
    Know someone in real life who is into computers, to the stage where they have custom built one.

Once you have fulfilled these requirements, you can begin the process of learning about what parts you need.

It's really simple(lol, I love it when people say that about things that seem daunting). All you need to remember, is that you have to keep all your hardware parts compatible with each other, then follow the instructions to plug them together correctly. It really is just that, plugging things together... like lego bricks.

The most important stage is choosing parts to a budget, I'll get you started with a basic list of specs for now, and what you would expect to pay for them at an online store.

Case: something by coolermaster, don't spend under $60 on a case. You can also try other brands, such as thermaltake, nzxt, or anything someone suggests to you, as long as the price is above $60, you should be good for quality.

Motherboard: Intel z67, or amd am3+... specific model, I can't say right now. something costing at least $135

Hard Drive: 7200rpm(rotations per minute) 1TB(1000GB). Consider a 60GB SDD if you have the cash and put your operating system on it, as well as a game or two that you regularly play.

CPU: something that fits into the motherboard, match up chipsets and you should be set( am3 goes into am3, 1155 goes into 1155). Spend at least $200 here.

RAM: Get at least 8GB, ddr3, 1600mhz. (probably a kit of 2 4GB sticks). Ensure voltages are good, match voltages with the motherboard(1.5V ram motherboard requirement, use 1.5V ram).

Graphics Card: Something costing at least $250, specific models? gtx 560 Ti, AMD 6870. Get at least 1.5GB of memory on the graphics card.

Power supply: branded, 600 watt minimum. This will ensure you can safely run pretty much any hardware, including 2 graphics cards(as long as they aren't something crazy like a gtx 580) without blowing your computer up.

Disc drive, blu ray combo. it won't cost much, and you can play blu rays hooray.

Monitor: 23" 1080P or bigger, brands to go for: samsung, benq, theyre fairly reliable brands.

Keyboard: I'm using a microsoft basic keyboard, it's nice. Get something that you like, don't spend any more than $100 on it though.
    Mouse: Something good, there is a cooler master cm storm sentinel that performs well.
    Mousepad: get one, just get one, make sure it's a proper gaming mouse pad, cloth, or anything that's branded as a gaming mouse pad, you won't regret it. They last ages, they stop your mouse feet getting scratched up, and they make everything so smooth.

That's all there is to it for now, think about that for a little while, reply back if you want some more advice on specifics. I'm in australia, so prices for you will likely be different(lower).
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Yeah 95% of the time, you can't upgrade a Laptop's GPU as it's soldered on the motherboard (and would cause fitting/size/heat issues).

As stated above, building a desktop would be much better for hardcore games. The 4250 is great for WoW. And Minesweeper. Not so much for recent 3D games.
  • WombatLOLWombatLOL Join Date: 2011-11-30 Member: 136042Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2011
    No need for a very expensive card lol my ati 4850 runs this game pretty well :D

But as IeptBarakat said this game is very cpu based game.

Edit: Wow my grammar is epic. /sarcasm
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    We'd need a little more information on your goals (How high-end does it need to be? e.g. what games do you want to play?) and your budget. IronSoul is probably overshooting a bit.
    I want to be able to run Natural selection 2 ! My budget is slim to say the least.. But if I can't change my gfx card in my labtop i'm sh*t out of luck..
    <!--quoteo(post=1888765:date=Dec 6 2011, 08:59 PM:name=Simple)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Simple @ Dec 6 2011, 08:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888765"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I want to be able to run Natural selection 2 ! My budget is slim to say the least.. But if I can't change my gfx card in my labtop i'm sh*t out of luck..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I wouldn't attempt it on a laptop with less than a 320M, and that may be pushing it.

Desktop wise I'd go for a minimum of a Core2Duo 2.4+ and a 9800GT at a minimum. Again, pushing it.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1888766:date=Dec 6 2011, 07:02 PM:name=konata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (konata @ Dec 6 2011, 07:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888766"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wouldn't attempt it on a laptop with less than a 320M, and that may be pushing it.

Desktop wise I'd go for a minimum of a Core2Duo 2.4+ and a 9800GT at a minimum. Again, pushing it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's what I have and it is indeed pushing it (+HD4850) :)
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2011
    It doesnt have to be 1200€...

You can get this:
    DVD-Burner
    500W PSU
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    Radeon HD 6850
    Intel Core i5-2500k
    ASRock P67 Pro3, P67
    22" Monitor
    320GB HD
    Case
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

For around 770€
    minus 60€ if you have a harddisk lying around
    minus 30€ if you have a pc case (yes you can get good enough cases for that price)
    minus 20€ if you have a dvd rom lying around
    Never go for an i3. Never.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Minus getting a new computer (preferably desktop to get higher performance/cost), you'll just have to wait. You could also try some of the console commands that sometimes improve performance
    r_shadows false
    r_bloom false
    r_instancing false
    r_atmospheric false
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1888789:date=Dec 6 2011, 09:56 PM:name=konata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (konata @ Dec 6 2011, 09:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888789"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Never go for an i3. Never.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Tho even the lowest of the desktop i3 should be better in 1-2thread applications than any notebook cpu. (and most games are only 1-2 threads)
    But I agree that i also wouldnt go for an i3.
    I said $1200 give or take $300, so $900 would still get a pretty decent computer, and by decent, I mean it would run every game out today well, and ns2 would also run well.
    I use dollar signs BTW :PP yea I think i'm gonna play other games and wait.. Does anyone know how to get a refund? I messaged the store @ unknown worlds.. Will theyt respond?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1888836:date=Dec 7 2011, 01:41 AM:name=Simple)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Simple @ Dec 7 2011, 01:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888836"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I use dollar signs BTW :PP yea I think i'm gonna play other games and wait.. Does anyone know how to get a refund? I messaged the store @ unknown worlds.. Will theyt respond?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They will, but yeah if you end up buying it why not just keep your copy. I bet price will go up once it goes gold in any case :)
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    This is a few months old so would need to be updated, but this <a href="http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/budget-gaming-pc-phenom-ii-radeon-hd-6850,2903.html" target="_blank">$500 gaming PC</a> would easily serve you fine.

You'd still need to get a display, keyboard, and mouse to finish it up, which would be an additional $100 new.

So, $600 total for a full, new gaming rig.

P.S. It seems some people have had problems with Radeon video cards in NS2 -- although that is hopefully temporary.
    I wouldn't mind keeping it at all if my GFX card was anywhere near powerful enough to run the game.. It's just not going to happen anytime soon seeing that they're busy with so much.

Racer1 - Wow that looks perfect for me :] I have a monitor/keyboard .. If I could do that any time soon that'd be awesome! :]
    <!--quoteo(post=1888844:date=Dec 7 2011, 04:47 AM:name=Racer1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Racer1 @ Dec 7 2011, 04:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888844"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->P.S. It seems some people have had problems with Radeon video cards in NS2 -- although that is hopefully temporary.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We have problems in everything new. We have to wait for drivers to catch up, always.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    It looks like their system didn't include an OS, which I find a bit odd. So, that would be an additional $100.
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    $500 is the bottom of the market for a decent gaming pc, but dont follow an article, you need to gather parts on newegg or whatever the day you want to get them cause prices and deals change so fast. for instance, if you wait for weekend deals, you can get better parts for the same price or equivalent parts for a bargain
    DO NOT get that computer, you will regret it.

Spend at least $900 for everything, otherwise you will be stuck with something quickly outdated.

I recomend spending the $1200, and getting something to last 4 years or more, with only maybe a graphics card upgrade along the way.
    edited December 2011
  • HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
    On a related note:

Is it better to get two moderately priced SLI graphics cards or one expensive card?
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1888976:date=Dec 7 2011, 11:20 PM:name=Hybridclaw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hybridclaw @ Dec 7 2011, 11:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888976"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On a related note:

Is it better to get two moderately priced SLI graphics cards or one expensive card?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    SLI/Crossfire doesn't scale 100%, so it won't be twice as fast as a single card. There are also many bugs in games not optimized for it, and you also get micro stuttering, sometimes having short jumps to half the usual framerate. It is very rarely worth it.
    edited December 2011
    If you ask me,
    Sli/Crossfire only really makes sense if you make it with top end cards. (it does scale up to 90%, but you can get lots of problems with some games(up to a point where you have to disable one card for it to play properly), micro stutter, higher power consumption in idle and load etc.)

For lower range cards its usually better to just buy a single mid-highrange card for the money you want to spend.(or a little bit more)
    Especially if you have to pay your own power bills. :P (so the money you think you save by buying 2cheaper cards, might come back hidden in this bill)

edit: right, as scardy below me says - you also dont need to buy a stronger psu, or sli capable motherboard in the first place... (which saves also quite something)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1888976:date=Dec 7 2011, 02:20 PM:name=Hybridclaw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hybridclaw @ Dec 7 2011, 02:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888976"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On a related note:

Is it better to get two moderately priced SLI graphics cards or one expensive card?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you want the best performance possible regardless of the price, then sure. Otherwise, I've found that going with a high-powered single graphics card is generally less expensive (i.e. you can get a lower wattage power supply/cheaper non-SLI/crossfire MB) for a similar level of performance.