Tackle

IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
<div class="IPBDescription">For marines, maybe aliens(probably not aliens)</div>So I've been thinking about a new gameplay feature for a little while, and I think it's time to post up a new thread.

The idea is to add the ability for marines to tackle aliens... probably skulks only, due to the fact that a lerk is flying, and gorges are really fat and the marine would probably bounce off... A fade is just too big and nasty to tackle... and an onos, well... yeah.

Anyway, here's how tackle works.

If a marine is sprinting, and there is a skulk, they hold right click and charge into the skulk, the marine will dive onto it, grab the skulk, and proceed to punch it twice, raise whatever weapon he has up, and try to finish the skulk off.

If the marine has an assault rifle, he will bash the skulk, then put the rifle to it's belly and fill it full of bullets.
Pistol, he will grab the skulk by the throat, put the pistol to it's head, and fire.
Switch axe, he will slash it's throat.

Obviously, there is the problem of taking control away from players, and a lot of people don't like that. But consider this, tackling a skulk is mainly for a situation where there is a lone marine trying to build up a resource tower, and a skulk runs in. Usually this would advantage the skulk, but if the marine can tackle, he can kill the skulk.

If there are two skulks, then the marine is pretty much stuffed, because not only can the other skulk kill the marine, but save the tackled skulk.

I have another option, which involves taking away the instant kill aspect:

The marine tackles the skulk, rolls off it, then gets up. This effectively does two things: Stuns both the marine and the skulk for an equal amount of time but: prevents both the marine and skulk from doing stuff. This would be useful for buying time for allies to arrive, or diving out of a tackle to save a marine buddy.

Also, if the skulk moves out of the way, he won't get tackled, but the marine will still get stunned.

So in summary, marine holds right click and sprint and runs into a skulk to tackle.

Comments

• RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
    Why on earth would you tackle a skulk? It's asking to lose a few limbs and half of your face.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Ironically, after seeing what is being added to the game, a tackle feature would fit right in.
  • xVisionsxVisions Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68021Members
    Huge technical challenge. The skulk is suppose to be far more agile than any marine could be anyhow, but good to think outside the box! A heavy marine with a fired net? Traps all skulks to the ground for couple seconds :P
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    Putting aside the fact that you're basically tackling a large, muscley dog with spikes for feet for one minute, it's things like this that made everyone hate the recent version of Alien vs Predator. It's an insta-kill ability that only needs one successful move to pull off.

Also, doesn't rifle butt attack fulfill the role you were suggesting for this move?
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    This is practically already in game. Just run straight at the Skulk and stand still; there's no unique, annoying, time-consuming animation, but you die just as quickly as if you'd just tried to wrestle a bio-engineered alien death machine, so the end gameplay result is the same.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Lone marine caught off guard is a dead marine...
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    Realistically tackling a skulk would probably be one of the worst things to do, as your essentially subjecting yourself to a creature with razor sharp blades for feet with a multi-hinged highly flexible and powerful jaw. You'd basically you'd be begging the skulk to rip your face apart, and proceed to shred your armor and limbs apart as you impact your own body against it.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    No more melee options for marines please, that's what the aliens is about. Also, riflebutt should be more than enough.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    the negativity, it's killing me.
    <!--quoteo(post=1886786:date=Nov 25 2011, 03:28 AM:name=Ironsoul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ironsoul @ Nov 25 2011, 03:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886786"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the negativity, it's killing me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Tackle the neggers!
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1886786:date=Nov 25 2011, 09:28 AM:name=Ironsoul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ironsoul @ Nov 25 2011, 09:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886786"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the negativity, it's killing me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm not being negative, I just don't think that the game needs this. And after all, aliens are the ones relying on melee attacks, and not marines.
    It would also be counter inituitive, as you would not want to get close to skulks in the first place, you have a gun.
    <!--quoteo(post=1886786:date=Nov 25 2011, 02:28 AM:name=Ironsoul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ironsoul @ Nov 25 2011, 02:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886786"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the negativity, it's killing me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Would you rather we lied, and claimed to support an idea that would impact both balance and immersion in a negative manner?

You had an idea, you tried it out, it wasn't a good one. Just learn from the experience and move on; there's nothing wrong with not having a suggestion work out.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    plz checkout new riflebutt 188
    seems to make the skulk fly back over a second or so

that or its a bug...
    My starting position on this idea is that games with melee shouldn't feel so rigid. The marines move in a way that's akin to a slowed down shooter from the 90's.

You add melee(for the aliens) into it, and then give the other side primarily pointy shooty things. It just feels weird.

That's why I suggested the ability to tackle skulks, to allow players to get immersed by getting realistically up close and personal to those massive dogs with razer sharp teeth and spikes for legs.

Keep in mind, not even I support the insta-kill idea, I prefer the one where it simply knocks the alien over in a tumble, then allows both the marine and the alien get up again after 2 or 3 seconds of being knocked around.

I admit, it probably isn't going to get in, but I also want people to realise that there still is a problem of the game feeling really robotic and old game like with a huge frustrating rigidity of the gameplay which results in exploits and elitist players. This idea is also supposed to spark other ideas on a similar route, to give marines more defensive options for when the aliens get close WITHOUT killing the aliens. I want to have epic struggles between creatures(aliens and marines), where neither is actually dying, but one false move and you're done for.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2011
    This idea simply goes against the core elements of what Natural Selection 2 is...

<ul><li>NOT taking away control from players, be it stun or cutscene (NS1 Onos Devour is something they want to avoid), except for stalemate ending skills (stuns or some kind of disabling abilities) on the end game units most likely :)</li><li>Asymmetrical gameplay:
    <ul><li>A ranged team that has a severe lack of close quarter combat abilities and movement, has to rely on teamplay and distance mostly to survive in this hostile environment.</li><li>A melee team that is very agile and very devastating in close quarter combat and quite capable of lone wolf gameplay to some extend</li></ul></li><li>Not trying to be like a badly designed Modern Shooter, most ARE bad in terms of holding the hand of the player. Instead giving the player close to FULL control over his character. Letting the player be the deciding factor. With the addition of mandatory gameplay related slowdowns (ie: marine backpedal slowdown) for balancing reasons. Adding skill of movement and strategy into the mix.</li></ul>

Keep in mind that the movement of both Marines and Aliens are still being tweaked as well :)
    alright, I still would like some way to allow the marine to stop himself from being eaten by a lone skulk instantly.
    <!--quoteo(post=1887027:date=Nov 26 2011, 05:22 AM:name=Ironsoul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ironsoul @ Nov 26 2011, 05:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887027"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->alright, I still would like some way to allow the marine to stop himself from being eaten by a lone skulk instantly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Shoot it. Problem solved.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1886565:date=Nov 24 2011, 04:32 PM:name=Raneman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raneman @ Nov 24 2011, 04:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886565"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why on earth would you tackle a skulk?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    D'OH!
    maybe he want create a comedy sketch!
    <!--quoteo(post=1887027:date=Nov 26 2011, 06:22 AM:name=Ironsoul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ironsoul @ Nov 26 2011, 06:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887027"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->alright, I still would like some way to allow the marine to stop himself from being eaten by a lone skulk instantly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Throw your weapons on the floor and hope he accepts your surrender.
    <!--quoteo(post=1887053:date=Nov 26 2011, 04:54 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Nov 26 2011, 04:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887053"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Shoot it. Problem solved.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You know that with the mouselag(caused by the game code, not system performance) that's impossible to do in most situations at close quarters.
    <!--quoteo(post=1887087:date=Nov 26 2011, 09:14 PM:name=Ironsoul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ironsoul @ Nov 26 2011, 09:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887087"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know that with the mouselag(caused by the game code, not system performance) that's impossible to do in most situations at close quarters.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not quite the reason to add your suggestion though, as this is obviously an engine issue which will be resolved in the end :P
    I wish they would resolve it now. You can't test balance if there is a fundamental engine issue preventing people from one shotting skulks.

I think a problem with the mouse in spark is how it updates the mouse position.

I was looking around slowly yesterday and my aim was jumping quit a significant amount. I have a high dpi mouse: 5700, meaning I should get fairly high accuracy.
    <!--quoteo(post=1887101:date=Nov 26 2011, 11:57 PM:name=Ironsoul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ironsoul @ Nov 26 2011, 11:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887101"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wish they would resolve it now. You can't test balance if there is a fundamental engine issue preventing people from one shotting skulks.

I think a problem with the mouse in spark is how it updates the mouse position.

I was looking around slowly yesterday and my aim was jumping quit a significant amount. I have a high dpi mouse: 5700, meaning I should get fairly high accuracy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Wrong, high dpi doesn't increase your accuracy, aiming does. ;)
    But yeah, sometimes it can be hard to hit the aliens due to poor performance.
    But that's no reason to add another melee move for marines.
    it's not performance. Even at high fps, my aiming was jumping just a little bit more than should be expected.

What I mean to say, is that there needs to be some code changes to how the game interprets the mouse movement.
  • CataclyzmCataclyzm Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33031Members
    I'd be for the marines being allowed to grab-a-hold of a fade and go for a blink ride.
    <!--quoteo(post=1887428:date=Nov 29 2011, 05:20 AM:name=Cataclyzm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cataclyzm @ Nov 29 2011, 05:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887428"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd be for the marines being allowed to grab-a-hold of a fade and go for a blink ride.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's just.. lol?
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    We need to be able to tackle a Lerk, tame it, and then ride at as your trusty steed, and add it to the Lerk stalls structure built by the commander; which you may then proceed to feed it sugar cubes and hay.
    mmhmm, I'd like the marine to be able to block an attack, rather than just melee the alien... as seen in the fade reveal trailer.

It would be cool, wouldn't take away too much from the control of the player, and besides, that marine died anyway. Being able to block a single attack, and prevent the alien from killing you for a second might give your allies that slight delay they need to take the alien down, the alien may still kill you, but at least they have lost an expensive fade. On top of that, it wouldn't mean the aliens are stuffed if the marine blocks, they are only stuffed if they charge into a busy area and get blocked. A lone marine, or even two marines, is still stuffed... for the most part.
  • HadesDKHadesDK Join Date: 2008-07-31 Member: 64739Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1887440:date=Nov 29 2011, 06:15 AM:name=Heroman117)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heroman117 @ Nov 29 2011, 06:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887440"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We need to be able to tackle a Lerk, tame it, and then ride at as your trusty steed, and add it to the Lerk stalls structure built by the commander; which you may then proceed to feed it sugar cubes and hay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Now we just need those tf hats!