Will the Onos have a bigger egg?

Gorge_LucasGorge_Lucas Join Date: 2011-07-10 Member: 109352Members
<div class="IPBDescription">be a bit silly if it didn't</div>Yeah I'm guessing this question or topic has been mentioned before but the search isn't working for me.

I'd really like to see a larger egg for the Onos when it's evolving.

I know this would make it more of a target for Marines but maybe you could make the Larger Onos egg have a few more hit points to compensate.

Comments

• Cyberwarrior00785Cyberwarrior00785 Join Date: 2010-02-20 Member: 70651Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1884318:date=Nov 8 2011, 02:20 PM:name=Gorge_Lucas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gorge_Lucas @ Nov 8 2011, 02:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884318"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah I'm guessing this question or topic has been mentioned before but the search isn't working for me.

I'd really like to see a larger egg for the Onos when it's evolving.

I know this would make it more of a target for Marines but maybe you could make the Larger Onos egg have a few more hit points to compensate.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yes i also would also like to see this along with specially designed eggs for lerk, gorge, and fade
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Yes. There's currently actually a slider in the egg model animation, that increases the size of it based on the lifeform that is evolving from it, but that hasn't hooked up to be used in game yet.

--Cory
  • acid_rainacid_rain NS2 NAPT Mascot Austin, TX Join Date: 2010-02-16 Member: 70588Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Can't wait to see this in game!
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited November 2011
    Hehe, it's going to be silly seeing an Onos egg on one of those thin support beams in Summit.

Also, Mega-ReadyRoom Egg <3
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2011
    So marines that happen to be close to a hive with aliens gestating always know which egg to shoot first? :X

edit: Okay, guess this could be solved by having random sized empty eggs...
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    I don't know I kind of like the anonymity of the eggs.

It might be cool if an onos unfurled from such a tiny spot.
    Kinda like how the phase gates are a little transformery...doesn't make total sense but fun to watch.

just a thought.
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    Haha, I never even considered this.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    If the marines know which egg to shoot first, can the alien get the percentage remaining res back like what was discussed before? Instead of using it at once you use it up while gestating until you evolve.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1884363:date=Nov 8 2011, 08:08 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Nov 8 2011, 08:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884363"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If the marines know which egg to shoot first, can the alien get the percentage remaining res back like what was discussed before? Instead of using it at once you use it up while gestating until you evolve.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I suppose refund on egg death would alleviate some of the frustration of dying while evolving.

However, the main problem with the alien evolution system is, that Marines can easily walk through Alien Static defenses (Hydras and Whips), and kill eggs in the Hive, even in clan matches, while aliens have to spend 25 seconds to evolve to Fade, (even longer for Onos) as a defenseless egg, contributing nothing to the team in that time.

If alien cocoons evolve faster, have more health, or if alien defenses are more effective at stopping Marines, I'm sure egg size will not be much of a problem.
  • nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
    edited November 2011
    I like the idea of an egg sized depending on the lifeform.
    I think if a marine manages to sneak into a hive AND finds a player that carelessly just evolves in some easy to access area, the marine should be rewarded in being able to kill the egg and the alien should be punished in form of the lost res. No refund on killed eggs. There are always places where you can evolve secretly, plus, if you a evolving it is your teams task to protect you.
    Things like refund on killed eggs will be contra productive in terms of team play.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1884359:date=Nov 8 2011, 08:37 PM:name=kingmob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kingmob @ Nov 8 2011, 08:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884359"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know I kind of like the anonymity of the eggs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1884365:date=Nov 9 2011, 12:22 AM:name=nUfl0w)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nUfl0w @ Nov 9 2011, 12:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884365"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Things like refund on killed eggs will be contra productive in terms of team play.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Please explain. And it isn't a refund if you haven't spent all of it yet. Say you only gestated 25% before getting killed. Then only 25% was lost.

If we're going to penalize player death while buying things so much, lets get rid of weapon pickup. That way a marine always has to have your back while you're buying a shotgun. For productive teamplay.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Aslong as we can still egg on top of hive :P
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I guess this means players can't onos egg in vents anymore and get trapped (lolololol NS1). Although this will make it significantly easier for marines to pick out higher alien lifeform eggs in the hive. Speaking of which, whatever happened to the transparent floaties flying around the room then turning into eggs?

Maybe the drifter will eventually be able to lay specific eggs like Schimmel's old mod was prototyping?
  • nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
    edited November 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1884368:date=Nov 9 2011, 01:42 AM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Nov 9 2011, 01:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884368"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please explain. And it isn't a refund if you haven't spent all of it yet. Say you only gestated 25% before getting killed. Then only 25% was lost.

If we're going to penalize player death while buying things so much, lets get rid of weapon pickup. That way a marine always has to have your back while you're buying a shotgun. For productive teamplay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

no only losing 25% would basicly mean a refund on the other 75% you spend when started to gestate. I also dont think that geting rid of weapon pick up is a good idea. I like the asymetric style of the teams. I just dont want a game with team a and b and just different skins. (I know that it is still far from that extreme).
    If you decide whatever amount will be required to spend on the onos you could just tell your team that you are going to gestate. e.g. behind the "bar"(or whatever that is) in alienstart behind the hive on summit would be a good spot. This would require your team to pay attention on what is happening instead of just ramboing each one for themself. Also the alien com could exit the hive to protect the egg. You just have to communicate and play in a team. That is what I liked so much in ns1. Team>single skill. I we nerf the game on each end just a little bit and keep that going we might end up with a cod clone at some point.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1884365:date=Nov 9 2011, 06:22 AM:name=nUfl0w)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nUfl0w @ Nov 9 2011, 06:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884365"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like the idea of an egg sized depending on the lifeform.
    I think if a marine manages to sneak into a hive AND finds a player that carelessly just evolves in some easy to access area, the marine should be rewarded in being able to kill the egg and the alien should be punished in form of the lost res. No refund on killed eggs. There are always places where you can evolve secretly, plus, if you a evolving it is your teams task to protect you.
    Things like refund on killed eggs will be contra productive in terms of team play.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1884371:date=Nov 9 2011, 06:20 AM:name=aeroripper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aeroripper @ Nov 9 2011, 06:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884371"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I guess this means players can't onos egg in vents anymore and get trapped (lolololol NS1). Although this will make it significantly easier for marines to pick out higher alien lifeform eggs in the hive. Speaking of which, whatever happened to the transparent floaties flying around the room then turning into eggs?

Maybe the drifter will eventually be able to lay specific eggs like Schimmel's old mod was prototyping?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can't do that anyway now, the game checks the lifeform you're evolving into fits into the environment before evolving you.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    Just a little idea:

The amount of Onos' should depend on how many hives there are on that current round.
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1884997:date=Nov 15 2011, 10:02 AM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ Nov 15 2011, 10:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884997"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just a little idea:

The amount of Onos' should depend on how many hives there are on that current round.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Restricted life forms per hive. I like this idea, the only trouble you have is you then have to counter-balance it some how with the marines.

Although I like the idea of 0 Onos for Hive 1 atleast and then unlocking per % of team mates on the remaining two. Same with lerk/fade too. It gives consistency and stability, it will also mean you don't get dragged out stalemates because aliens have one hive with lots of higher life forms defending it adequately.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    I agree about the anonymity being quite important for the current egg setup. Any egg larger than normal will be obvious to shoot first. You can combat this by having random egg sizes but then that means skulks can randomly hatch out of onos sized eggs o_O? Egg scaling sounds like a really cool feature, would have been great in ns1, but it seems tricky to pull off in ns2 with how well the current system works from a gameplay perspective.

Also limiting how many players can be x lifeform sounds like a server plugin and less of something that should be included stock. Every time I've seen something like this on a server for any game I'm a bit frustrated and certainly it can't only be me?
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    hmm, growing eggs would add alot to atmosphere. imagine you see a giant egg, and you know it's about time to run away since soon an onos will hatch :)
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    The eggs don't need to be huge in size, that's the beauty of nature, often something that comes out of an egg can be around 3x more in size.
  • SwampRatSwampRat Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13369Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1885031:date=Nov 15 2011, 01:14 PM:name=konata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (konata @ Nov 15 2011, 01:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885031"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The eggs don't need to be huge in size, that's the beauty of nature, often something that comes out of an egg can be around 3x more in size.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

and/or just have a baby onos that grows over the first minute of its life or something
    <!--quoteo(post=1884998:date=Nov 15 2011, 08:07 AM:name=konata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (konata @ Nov 15 2011, 08:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884998"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Restricted life forms per hive. I like this idea, the only trouble you have is you then have to counter-balance it some how with the marines.

Although I like the idea of 0 Onos for Hive 1 atleast and then unlocking per % of team mates on the remaining two. Same with lerk/fade too. It gives consistency and stability, it will also mean you don't get dragged out stalemates because aliens have one hive with lots of higher life forms defending it adequately.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The only problem with that going for the lerk is that you will be preventing people from getting out of skulk which can be frustating.

Fade and Onos should be limited though.
  • HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1885225:date=Nov 16 2011, 04:37 PM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ Nov 16 2011, 04:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885225"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The only problem with that going for the lerk is that you will be preventing people from getting out of skulk which can be frustating.

Fade and Onos should be limited though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If marine weapons are not limited, I don't see why alien lifeforms should be limited.

- And on a side note -

My predictions came true!
    I foresaw long ago that people would try to nerf the onos before it was released.
    Source: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/forums/index.php?showtopic=115036&st=20&p=1877038&#entry1877038" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/forums/ind...p;#entry1877038</a>
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    there are better solutions than creating such limits. give the aliens a reason to spend their p.res instead of all saving for onos and make the onos depend on other classes instead of being simply awesome on its own.
    <!--quoteo(post=1885246:date=Nov 16 2011, 10:07 PM:name=Hybridclaw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hybridclaw @ Nov 16 2011, 10:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885246"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If marine weapons are not limited, I don't see why alien lifeforms should be limited.

- And on a side note -

My predictions came true!
    I foresaw long ago that people would try to nerf the onos before it was released.
    Source: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/forums/index.php?showtopic=115036&st=20&p=1877038&#entry1877038" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/forums/ind...p;#entry1877038</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's called suggestions...

Idiot.
  • HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1885303:date=Nov 17 2011, 04:26 AM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ Nov 17 2011, 04:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885303"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's called suggestions...

Idiot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Since only the developers are the only ones that can actually nerf the onos, the only way for everyone else to nerf it is by suggestions.

I apologize if you though my comment was meant to be a personal attack against you. It was meant as more of a comment on the onos in general.
  • Gorge_LucasGorge_Lucas Join Date: 2011-07-10 Member: 109352Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1885023:date=Nov 16 2011, 01:16 AM:name=Lazer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lazer @ Nov 16 2011, 01:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885023"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree about the anonymity being quite important for the current egg setup. Any egg larger than normal will be obvious to shoot first. You can combat this by having random egg sizes but then that means skulks can randomly hatch out of onos sized eggs o_O? Egg scaling sounds like a really cool feature, would have been great in ns1, but it seems tricky to pull off in ns2 with how well the current system works from a gameplay perspective.

Also limiting how many players can be x lifeform sounds like a server plugin and less of something that should be included stock. Every time I've seen something like this on a server for any game I'm a bit frustrated and certainly it can't only be me?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In my OP I stated that the larger egg would have more hit points. Therefore, negating the fact that the larger egg would be targeted more often by the marines.