Weaken the Rifle Butt

thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
edited November 2011 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Introduce the Bayonet</div>The marines rifle butt is a really quite powerful. A weapon 0 marines can kill an armor 0 skulk in 3 hits. This means that often a charging skulk can easily be finished with a good smash. I would like to see the damage from smash get reduced and some knock back added to targets not in the air. In its place could be a small pres upgrade to a rifle with a bayonet. Seems too easy for marines to have such a good melee for free.

Comments

• elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh god, yes to bayonet mod. poking gorges and other hilarity ensues.
  • Dragon-GuardDragon-Guard Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112159Members
    melee is fine as is imo, a skulk that charges headfirst at a rifle marine in a long hallway deserves to die.
    (because in most other situations marines wont have enough time to damage skulks or other aliens enough to be able to kill with a melee, or very rarely at best)
    UWE wants skulks to play sneaky and if you do a marine with a rifle will be chanceless anyway.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2011
    I agree, the damage the riflebutt makes at the moment is quite ridiculous.
    As a free marine melee attack to start off with, it's really powerful, especially combined with bullets.
    I would like to see a damage reduction to it at least.
  • DestroidDestroid Join Date: 2011-10-25 Member: 129240Members
    It also seems to be easy to hit with, do melee attacks in NS2 have a pin point attack or an area attack?
  • ryknow69ryknow69 Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63952Members
    area i believe

BAYONETTE UPGRADE NAO! *pokes gorge*
  • 2sBlind2sBlind Join Date: 2011-11-08 Member: 131738Members
    Nooo! Don't mess with mah rifle!
  • GrizzyGrizzy Join Date: 2011-10-14 Member: 127323Members
    Lessen the damage, increase the disorientation factor. No problem.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1884617:date=Nov 10 2011, 06:48 PM:name=ryknow69)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ryknow69 @ Nov 10 2011, 06:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884617"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->BAYONETTE UPGRADE NAO! *pokes gorge*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Every time you poke a gorge, the Kharaa steal an exoskeleton for another to pilot. Beware your cruelty! Beware Exogorge!
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    edited November 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1884643:date=Nov 11 2011, 10:05 AM:name=Grizzy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Grizzy @ Nov 11 2011, 10:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884643"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lessen the damage,<b> increase the disorientation factor.</b> No problem.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This.

Just blur the vision of the skulk for, say, 0.5 sec when a riflebutt connects.. and minimize the damage it makes.
  • Fluid CoreFluid Core Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63260Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1884671:date=Nov 11 2011, 07:27 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Nov 11 2011, 07:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884671"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Every time you poke a gorge, the Kharaa steal an exoskeleton for another to pilot. Beware your cruelty! Beware Exogorge!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

PLEASE make a mod were a gorge can climb into a killed exo. :D:D
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1884823:date=Nov 13 2011, 05:01 AM:name=Fluid Core)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fluid Core @ Nov 13 2011, 05:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884823"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->PLEASE make a mod were a gorge can climb into a killed exo. :D:D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If I recall correctly, Kharaa can build exogorge suits themselves once Gorgecom builds a Gorge Lab. They need to hijack a CC first, though.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I'm in the weird part of the forum again it seems :o

*takes pictures and runs off*
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    This thread has gone to hell. I am serious about a more sensible melee attack.
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1884944:date=Nov 14 2011, 03:26 PM:name=thefonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thefonz @ Nov 14 2011, 03:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884944"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This thread has gone to hell. I am serious about a more sensible melee attack.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, keep the knockback/disorient but leave the damage for the axe/melee
  • DestroidDestroid Join Date: 2011-10-25 Member: 129240Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1884925:date=Nov 15 2011, 03:28 AM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Nov 15 2011, 03:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884925"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If I recall correctly, Kharaa can build exogorge suits themselves once Gorgecom builds a Gorge Lab. They need to hijack a CC first, though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Infested command chair ;)
  • HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1884925:date=Nov 14 2011, 02:28 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Nov 14 2011, 02:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884925"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If I recall correctly, Kharaa can build exogorge suits themselves once Gorgecom builds a Gorge Lab. They need to hijack a CC first, though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

On a more serious note:
    An infested command chair would be more of a threat if the commander inside it was no longer able to command.
  • CataclyzmCataclyzm Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33031Members
    Question... under what situations does a marine land a rifle butt attack on a skulk?
    It typically happens to me when I, as a skulk, have poorly positioned myself in an attack and have lost sight of my target (ex circle strafing, madly chomping).

So, doesn't the marine, who has properly tracked the skulk deserve the hit? Remember, in a situation where a skulk successfully ambushed a marine, the number of skulk bites (2?) versus rifle butts (3?) still is in favor of the skulk even if he didn't land the first bite.

That is not to say that disorientation is not an appropriate "feature" to add to the rifle butt attack, at which point a slight reduction in damage may be necessary (or maybe not).

Another point to consider. As the game becomes more stable through development and age (machines get better) frame rates will improve and possibly landing these hits will become easier (though landing skulk bites should be "easier", too), it may be worth revisiting this topic.
    For Armor and Weapons 0 for skulks and marine it would be 3 hits to 3 bites. unless the skulk parasites. parasites + 2 bites = dead marine. My post is mostly saying that 1/3 of a skulks health is a hell of a lot of damage for a free backup attack every marine spawns with. Its comparable to the skulks main attack, bite. \

IMO Rifle Butt should do knock back (air only, deflect to a side would be better than straight knock back), disorientation, and a small amount of damage.

For marines who want a more power up close w/o sacrificing the range of the rifle for the shotgun; They can buy a bayonet for a few Pres (cheap but not free, 2-5 ish). Bayonet Stab replaces Riffle Butt. Does more damage but sacrifices knock back and disorientation. Should also be decently effective against structures, but not too close to the axe.

Also, for fun if UWE decides to include achievements, I recommend this be included for the bayonet.

Achievement : Another gorge on the barbie.
    Description : Bayonet a gorge. Season to taste. Roast over an open fire. Enjoy.

If achievements get put in, please no repetitive or stat achievements. I don't want to see "bayonet 100 gorges". Then we will have a bunch or tards chasing every gorge they see until they get 100.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2011
    While I definitly feel that the riflebutt needs a damage nerf, I don't think marines need another melee attack, then you just make the same problem again.
    Melee should be something for the aliens, I don't like the bayonette idea nor the achievements idea, as you say, we will have people running mindlessly around trying to get those achievements instead of trying to actually win the game. Frustating for the rest of your team.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Keep it the way it is, and change it's damage to 'light' to emphasize it's late-fight importance. If an alien still has armor, it shouldn't be a magical get out of jail free card.
    <!--quoteo(post=1885782:date=Nov 19 2011, 08:55 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Nov 19 2011, 08:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885782"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Keep it the way it is, and change it's damage to 'light' to emphasize it's late-fight importance. If an alien still has armor, it shouldn't be a magical get out of jail free card.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thumbs Up
    <!--quoteo(post=1885782:date=Nov 20 2011, 02:55 AM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Nov 20 2011, 02:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885782"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Keep it the way it is, and change it's damage to 'light' to emphasize it's late-fight importance. If an alien still has armor, it shouldn't be a magical get out of jail free card.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That doesn't change that it is very powerful against skulks in the early game. A damage deduction is needed. It should be alot less effective then the axe. Good melee dmg, should be a tradeoff(by switching to axe). Right now it is almost as powerful as the axe in terms of damage afaik.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Although considering how practical the axe is, making it much weaker will make it kind of useless.

Unless it does a decent amount of damage, you have zero reason to use it, because you almost certainly won't kill in one hit, and after that, switching to the axe would be better as it would be more likely to kill the alien and save you.
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    pistol whip is needed (i know it has a secondary wep already but really common)
    A damage nerf to the rifle butt is a good idea, not sure what type of damage it does though.

The bayonet is just a way to preserve the current rifle's powerful melee while making it a less common threat. The small Pres cost the bayonet would require should make it uncommon enough.

Also

Bayoneting Gorges

PS.
    While I have my doubts a bayonet will make it in to the game, I do hope somebody may consider re-skinning and animating the rifles melee to look like a bayonet.
    Consider the angle and range that the axe/butt has when balancing?

For example:
    Axe can have higher damage, but shorter "cone" of hit registration.
    Rifle butt has lower damage, but wider angle (currently indicated by sweeping motion across marine's field of vision) of hit registration.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Axe is for structures. If we nerf rifle butt too much it will lose it's usefullness as Chris has said.