Damage type: Puncture

SomeMiceDrinkingTeaSomeMiceDrinkingTea Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103818Members
<div class="IPBDescription">is it still planed?</div>After looking at damage types on the NS2 community wiki, i would like to know if UWE is still planning on implementing Puncture damage, perhaps a new weapon considering how there currently isn't any weapon or ability that uses this Damage type.

Comments

• KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Schimmel is using it for Lerk primary spikes in his balance mod, and I imagine Onos' primary attack will use it as well.
  • SomeMiceDrinkingTeaSomeMiceDrinkingTea Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103818Members
    That sounds pretty cool, though i would have imagined that Puncture damage would ignore armour instead of doing extra damage.
  • Egad!Egad! Join Date: 2011-10-19 Member: 128250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1883967:date=Nov 6 2011, 12:19 PM:name=SomeMiceDrinkingTea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SomeMiceDrinkingTea @ Nov 6 2011, 12:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883967"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That sounds pretty cool, though i would have imagined that Puncture damage would ignore armour instead of doing extra damage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1883967:date=Nov 6 2011, 07:49 PM:name=SomeMiceDrinkingTea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SomeMiceDrinkingTea @ Nov 6 2011, 07:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883967"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That sounds pretty cool, though i would have imagined that Puncture damage would ignore armour instead of doing extra damage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

((+1 +3) ÷2) -1
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1883967:date=Nov 6 2011, 09:19 AM:name=SomeMiceDrinkingTea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SomeMiceDrinkingTea @ Nov 6 2011, 09:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883967"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That sounds pretty cool, though i would have imagined that Puncture damage would ignore armour instead of doing extra damage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So it'd be just like gas damage?

Puncture damage is used by Fade swipe, and does 30% additional damage to players, which is why the Fade is great for slaughtering mass marines, but rubbish at taking out buildings. I've always really thought this kind of decision was kinda arbitrary, since we've had stalemates for such a long time since Marines would get massacred if they tried to leave base, but even though Fades can confine Marines to a single base by shear killing power, but can't end the game due to not being to do anything against sentries and infantry portals. Until we see the Exosuit railgun, I don't think puncture damage belongs to any weapon in the marine arsenal either.
  • DestroidDestroid Join Date: 2011-10-25 Member: 129240Members
    edited November 2011
    I don't think the Onos will have puncture damage, the aliens are in need of more siege power not more marine killing.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    the fade uses puncture damage currently. puncture basically means: more damage against players -> you are not very effective against structures. I doubt puncture will be changed, i think we should better add a new type ("Piercing" or something like that). that would be actually something that is missing currently, alongside with "armor only"
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1883992:date=Nov 6 2011, 09:41 PM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Nov 6 2011, 09:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883992"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the fade uses puncture damage currently. puncture basically means: more damage against players -> you are not very effective against structures. I doubt puncture will be changed, i think we should better add a new type ("Piercing" or something like that). that would be actually something that is missing currently, alongside with "armor only"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Armor only, players and structures, whip bombard? ^^
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    Marines still need the HMG..