General Niggles Thread

2»

Comments

• twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1880954:date=Oct 20 2011, 08:09 PM:name=Heroman117)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heroman117 @ Oct 20 2011, 08:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880954"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just another niggle regarding when a hive is dropped on a tech point, the model of the door being slightly ripped up, actually blocks marine bullets, making a lot of bullets miss when they would realistically punch through such a thin plate of metal.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Bullets actually pass through the metal door. (I've just tested)

Being able to pass thru a solid door, however, still irks me.
  • RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
    Niggle: It's hard to get skulk to stop sticking to the wall when I'm trying to evolve in a tight place.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1881365:date=Oct 23 2011, 03:26 PM:name=Raneman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raneman @ Oct 23 2011, 03:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881365"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Niggle: It's hard to get skulk to stop sticking to the wall when I'm trying to evolve in a tight place.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hold your crouch-button while doing it.
  • Delta1Delta1 Join Date: 2009-08-01 Member: 68326Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    187 builds and no fast weapon switch/previous weapon... (q)

little thing makes big difference.

Prob have to wait another 100+ builds to get it tho :|
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Niggle: Vent-evolving seems very tricky/difficult to me. I wind up spending an impractical amount of time trying to do it right, and wind up giving up as many times as I succeed.

I'm probably not doing it right, or something like that, but Vent-egging doesn't seem like something that should be this tough to do. Auto-shift the player to the center of the vent or something if it's big enough; this should be a quick, intuitive action to perform.
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1880493:date=Oct 18 2011, 08:02 PM:name=Dank McShwagger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dank McShwagger @ Oct 18 2011, 08:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880493"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ya, but moving at normal speed would prove difficult to reload a standard rifle as well. in NS2 nanites wont allow your rifle to get jammed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nanites will prevent you from getting pregnant too.
    <!--quoteo(post=1881733:date=Oct 24 2011, 05:35 PM:name=Vladimir Van Vodka)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vladimir Van Vodka @ Oct 24 2011, 05:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881733"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nanites will prevent you from getting pregnant too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Whether you want them to or not actually... They've learned to stay away from hens; it's not pretty when they blow.
  • B1ackSmokeB1ackSmoke Join Date: 2011-01-25 Member: 78855Members
    edited October 2011
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1880366:date=Oct 18 2011, 12:10 AM:name=CannonFodder100)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CannonFodder100 @ Oct 18 2011, 12:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1880366"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Double niggle: Reloading ought to be uninterruptible within a half second of completion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hate that, I have done this multiple times, and often multiple times in a ROW.

For example, alien runs at me, I shoot the bajjebas out of it, have 5 bullets remaining, press r to reload my gun, think it's loaded because the animation has shown "THE MARINE PUTTIGN A NEW CLIP IN THE GUN AND LOCKING IT IN PLACE", so I swap to my pistol for some long range support of my allies, swap back to assault rifle for medium range combat again "ONLY TO FIND IT HAS 5 BULLETS IN IT"...

yeah, that's an annoying niggle.
  • HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
    Or you could prevent weapon switching until the reload is complete.
  • DestroidDestroid Join Date: 2011-10-25 Member: 129240Members
    Niggles from Marine perspective: I hate the way the view wobbles and he waves the pistol on the side of the screen. Hate the way the view wobbles when you reload the lmg. Not a fan of the quick dip up and down the lmg does when you just start shooting or melee attack with it either but it's no where near as annoying as the other two. Pistol view stays rock solid when shooting or reloading and the axe doesn't disturb your view when you swing it either.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1881890:date=Oct 25 2011, 03:30 PM:name=Hybridclaw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hybridclaw @ Oct 25 2011, 03:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881890"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or you could prevent weapon switching until the reload is complete.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NO. That is a horrible lockout.
    When pheromones are in-game, I'd like an auto pheromone inviting gorges to speed build structures.
    Flamethrowers need to be more effective vs. cysts.
  • HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1883735:date=Nov 4 2011, 04:28 PM:name=Raneman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raneman @ Nov 4 2011, 04:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883735"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Flamethrowers need to be more effective vs. cysts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The original purpose of the flamethrower was to clear infestation but that has been slowly changing. The flamethrower should be restored to its original purpose.
  • f8ballf8ball Join Date: 2011-10-26 Member: 129435Members
    Niggle 1

To balance alien spawn time vs marine spawn time, switch the IP to a "capacitor recharge" model, where when a marine dies s/he spawns nearly instantly (same as aliens), and the ip must recharge the 8 or 10 seconds before the next marine respawns.

Why make this change?
    -AS can't be rushed because if you kill a skulk, it will respawn instantly 18 times before you can attack the hive. MS will have the same functionality with this niggle implemented (as long as their are two ips)
    -This will help stop instant alien wins of a small alien group (like 2 skulks and a gorge) rushing MS, killing the one or so marine there and wiping out the IPs.
    -Multiple IPs will actually be useful. Most games I see only 2 IPs because 3 or more don't really do anything. With say, 4 IPs, an assault on a hive with every marine can quickly be reinforced as the first few marines die, instantly respawn, and can run/pg to continue the attack. Currently an all out assault will end as soon as the first few marines die (then taking 10 seconds to respawn and X seconds to run back). Beacon is not an option because you bring your remaining team members back to spawn and give the aliens a respite to heal, regroup, drop crags, etc.

Niggle 2
    Beacon resist. I've seen it several times where a marine is about 2 seconds from killing a hive, an extractor, etc, only to be beaconed back to base for an unrelated reason (for example, lots of people are dead and the commander wants to spawn them back instead of waiting for ips). Giving some way to resist beacons would fix this. There may need to be some limit as one of the uses of the beacon is to gather all your marines for an assault, so you don't want everyone resisting for their own selfish reasons.
    edited November 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1883770:date=Nov 4 2011, 05:19 PM:name=f8ball)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (f8ball @ Nov 4 2011, 05:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883770"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Niggle 2
    Beacon resist. I've seen it several times where a marine is about 2 seconds from killing a hive, an extractor, etc, only to be beaconed back to base for an unrelated reason (for example, lots of people are dead and the commander wants to spawn them back instead of waiting for ips). Giving some way to resist beacons would fix this. There may need to be some limit as one of the uses of the beacon is to gather all your marines for an assault, so you don't want everyone resisting for their own selfish reasons.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like the idea of some sort of action the Marine can take (via an as-of-yet-unused button, perhaps) to reject the beacon.

In my mind, you'd have about a second after you see the warning to press the button and opt out of the beacon. The alarm and warning will continue to go for another second past that as all other players are beaconed, and in this time the com will get a noticeable hud pop-up saying "NS2Player is rejecting recall command. Press X for manual override". The com can then choose to call NS2Player back against his wishes (for instance, if NS2Player is a known rambo or is just running around somewhere empty), or to trust NS2Player and let him stay (Which a good com would do if NS2Player was known to be skilled and capable of making intelligent decisions). If the com waits past a second (for a potential total active beacon time of 2x the current period) without overriding, the Marine does not get beaconed. It is not possible to circumvent the commander's override.

It adds a bit more depth to the beacon mechanic, furthers the tactical complexity of the commander/marine relationship, and preserves the com's final authority over his squad.
  • DestroidDestroid Join Date: 2011-10-25 Member: 129240Members
    Being able to reject the beacon would perhaps make it too strong, as you could use it to strengthen your defence without sacrificing your push.
    <!--quoteo(post=1884149:date=Nov 7 2011, 02:43 PM:name=Destroid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destroid @ Nov 7 2011, 02:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884149"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Being able to reject the beacon would perhaps make it too strong, as you could use it to strengthen your defence without sacrificing your push.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well if everyone out attacking rejected the beacon, it wouldn't really do much. Calling in 1-3 people isn't exactly a "defense" as much as it is a "appetizer"
  • ForssForss Join Date: 2011-10-30 Member: 130180Members
    edited November 2011
    HUD on demand like in RO2.

Give Gorge infinite building distance when standing and building on infestation.
  • CannonFodder100CannonFodder100 Join Date: 2011-09-14 Member: 121355Members
    Armor regain at armory doesn't scale with upgrades.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would like to spectate the commanders, or having a screen in the RR that shows the whole map from above in realtime.

Another thing I thought about was that the marine com can marks some areas.
    F.e. He does not want you to enter Crevice, he can mark the whole crevice section as do not enter (crevice section is shown red on the minimap). Samething for Pressure and hold and defend.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    niggle, some marine spawns have catwalks a marine can not enter (requires use of ladder, which is only visual and has no code).
    Lerks and Skulks, possibly even Fades can hide up there while you can not shoot through the metal mesh of the catwalk's floor.

This is imo a design flaw since the enemy team should not have a save spot in the main base, even if it is only for breaking end game turtlenecks. It influences the whole game flow if a knowledgable player takes advantage of it.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2011
    Fixed in build 188 are the ladders he heard.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1884470:date=Nov 9 2011, 10:09 PM:name=CannonFodder100)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CannonFodder100 @ Nov 9 2011, 10:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884470"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Armor regain at armory doesn't scale with upgrades.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Armor should not be given back by armories. Maybe only Advanced Armory.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1883770:date=Nov 4 2011, 11:19 PM:name=f8ball)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (f8ball @ Nov 4 2011, 11:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883770"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Niggle 1

To balance alien spawn time vs marine spawn time, switch the IP to a "capacitor recharge" model, where when a marine dies s/he spawns nearly instantly (same as aliens), and the ip must recharge the 8 or 10 seconds before the next marine respawns.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This would make the marines spawn too quickly and create more stalemate situations where it is very difficult for the aliens to press the marines base. The alien spawns are too fast at the moment, making the marine spawns equally fast would just turn the game into some sort of deathmatch mode with instant respawns. IMO the marine spawn speed is okay for now, the problem is the aliens spawn too quickly and don't have a spawn que which makes it unbalanced.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Niggle 2
    Beacon resist. I've seen it several times where a marine is about 2 seconds from killing a hive, an extractor, etc, only to be beaconed back to base for an unrelated reason (for example, lots of people are dead and the commander wants to spawn them back instead of waiting for ips). Giving some way to resist beacons would fix this. There may need to be some limit as one of the uses of the beacon is to gather all your marines for an assault, so you don't want everyone resisting for their own selfish reasons.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This would remove the downside to beaconing. Many times the aliens will press on marine start when their hive is under attack to force the commander to use a beacon. If players could resist it would be overpowered as they could defend their base at the same time as attacking a hive. If the commander uses beacon at the wrong time just before you take the hive down then tough luck. Blame your com rather than asking for the game to be changed.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue