Happy 9th Birthday Natural Selection!

ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
edited October 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
9 Years ago today, <!--coloro:#A0522D--><span style="color:#A0522D"><!--/coloro--><b>Natural Selectio</b>n<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> was born. Version 1.0 was unleashed into the world and it changed the way people viewed Mods. It showed that professional great games could be made with enough passion and time, with great people and a great community behind it.

From <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_Selection_(video_game)" target="_blank">Wikipedia</a>:
<i>"The game was created by Charlie "Flayra" Cleveland, who later founded the company Unknown Worlds Entertainment. Natural Selection v1 was first publicly released on Halloween 2002, and is presently at version 3.2. Production of Natural Selection 2 is underway.</i>

<i>The game was, in 2008, one of the ten most played Half-Life modifications in terms of players, according to GameSpy.[1]"</i>

Congrats to Unknown Worlds who have been putting blood sweat and tears into making this amazing game a reality. I look forward to seeing NS2 becoming one of the most superb gaming experiences out there.

Happy Halloween and Happy Birthday NS! :D

Comments

• Fluid CoreFluid Core Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63260Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Congratulations! Let's hope for another 9 great years.
    Happy Halloween!
  • GertjanGertjan Join Date: 2011-08-30 Member: 119151Members
    Thank you for giving us some great game-time and giving us a great game to enjoy, ty UWE!

Happy B-DAY NS and Happy Halloween!
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
  • DepotDepot The ModFather Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Members
    Yes indeed, Happy Birthday, Natural Selection!

I have been there since the get-go, and proud of it!
  • SajSaj Join Date: 2003-01-30 Member: 12936Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    HB NS, I remeber number 1 and it was a happy time :)
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
  • nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
    edited October 2011
    Happy Birthday Natural Selection, happy birthday developers!
    I remember it like it was yesterday. Natural Selection was presented on a german tv show (I think charlie was even in the show. Correct me if I am wrong). Back in those days I really was into Half Life and CS and thought that I had seen everything that is possible with this particular engine, aswell as gameplay wise in other games. Well I was wrong.
    I saw this presentation and they were not just building structures in this game they were also droping them. From a top-down perspective. That was the first time I went like - OMG -. In fact the demonstration was so amazing that I could not stop watching it in order to download the game immediately.
    Afterwards I startet downloading and played the hole night. Most of the time was terrible, because of the 600-something ping problems. Still I could not stop playing.
    <!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->What can I say, I was hooked!<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    I played for a month, constantly demanded by the steeeeeeep learning curve, but it was so rewarding. During that month I still continued new features and elements that I was not aware of before. At that time I fell in love with this game and with the way develpoing established by the team. And this happend before I discovered competitive play, which took the hole thing to another level. The love is still there today, because of all those memories.

Thank you for making the best game (not just best mod, I yet have to find a AAA that comes even close to NS) I have ever played. Thank you for the best time I have ever had with a computer game. And of course, thank you for making an amazing sequel. <b>We all know</b> its going to be awseome, even perople complain from time to time. :)

Happy Birthday.
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    Happy Birthday and thanks for making the great mod and this awesome sequel!
    So good memories of playing ns1 both casually and competetively.
    We should arrange some kind of gather game tonight to celebrate the Halloween! :D
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    9 years of addicting gameplay.
  • gerryisonfyagerryisonfya Join Date: 2007-11-04 Member: 62826Members
  • BroseidonBroseidon Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110935Members
    I have only played your younger relative NS2 thought that does not hinder me to say Happy birthday NS.
  • Boxer`DBoxer`D Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112532Members
    Happy birthday UWE.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    uwe gets b-day money. Cuz I'm joining the constie club. :V
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2011
    Happy birthday!
    I only started playing ns1 in spring 2010, because I saw the trailer for ns2.
    Played ns1 for a very short time, then instantly pre-ordered ns2, then played ns1 some more.
    I envy you guys for finding this game so early.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Woo, thanks guys!

--Cory
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    9 Years of Awesome, my oh my!
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Here's to 9 more! *drinks*

Happy B-day NS!
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Happy B-Day! Almost a teen!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    They grow up so fast don't they...
  • Josh86Josh86 Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75513Members
    I wish I could get buzzed on a Monday afternoon at work! I suppose I could...but I could also get fired then, too. Thanks to you guys for creating a wonderful idea and turning it into a kick-butt multiplayer PC game!
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Happy Birthday NS1! 9 years of awesomeness!

Cheers!
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    When I was a freshman in high school (mid 90s), I used to dream of a game combining my favorite game genres of the time. It would have commanders and resources and real players as infantry. It seemed like such a far off idea.

Then one day, I was reading bluesnews as I did most days, and I saw a post about this game called Natural Selection. It mentioned that is was an FPS with a commander mode. I was quite intrigued. It was a free mod for Half-life. I was hooked. I loved free mods for Half-life. It was like somehow my favorite things had all just manifested together into this awesome thing for me to play.

I'd like to tell UWE that you guys are amazing. Your ideas are more thrilling than the vast majority of developers. I've been really loving the beta (mostly since 184). I'm so excited for each new patch.

Thanks for your dedication that has brought such a wonderful game into existence!

Happy Birthday Natural Selection!
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    Gratz NS1

NS1 is the game I have spent most time playing, by far. Thanks for that!

Here's to another (almost) decade!
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Happy birthday guys, I've seen lots of NS birthdays, glad to be around for another. Hope you enjoy teh gifts! =D
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Here here, happy birthday NS2!
  • RaikoificationRaikoification Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127076Members
    Happy Birthday and congrats Natural Selection!
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Happy BDay! I think Oct 31st should be renamed UWE Appreciation Day! Or maybe Unknown Worldsoween?
  • BigMadSteveBigMadSteve Join Date: 2003-02-12 Member: 13472Members
    Admittedly I haven't played NS for a couple of years and I've probably had more bad games than I've had good. However, when you get a group of players that work together and a capable opposition it was gaming bliss. Commanding a 3 hour game of 12 vs 12 on ns_nancy was my highlight. I watched the battle for hives and key locations ebb and flow. I had a couple of guys with initiative who would sneak into good places to set up a surprise phase gate for my team of 5 or 6 heavies waiting the base. It's pretty tense watching the progress bar on it gradually increase as the aliens could discover it at any moment. Of course once the heavies phase in and set up 6 siege cannons it's already too late for the opposition :). Exhausting, but extremely satisfying.

Then there's sneaking through the bridge on ns_bast to refinery to set up a PG by the hatch up the ladder so it can't be seen. Then theres....

No other game has game close to the great experiences I've had with NS and it's community.

Happy birthday.
  • SloppyKissesSloppyKisses omgawd a furreh&#33; Virginia Join Date: 2003-07-05 Member: 17942Members, Constellation