Why I don't wall walk

sumguy720sumguy720 Join Date: 2011-02-09 Member: 81101Members
<div class="IPBDescription">It's a really good reason!</div>I read this in the design log:
"- Quieter footsteps when wall-walking (to encourage use of it)"

And I thought to myself: "Oh no, maybe they don't know why people aren't using wall walk!"
Well, the reason is simple! When you are on a wall, you cannot look away from the wall without falling off. When you are on the floor you can look freely.
Imagine if players had to look at the floor all the time while playing. They'd never see anything!
Wall walking adds a surprise advantage but kind of decimates environment visibility. So when I play it's better to be able to see others than it is to have that extra degree of mobility freedom.

so.... don't buff wall walking-- FIX wall walking! I mean, if you know what I'm saying and agree.

PS: I'm not saying the above quote is a bad idea, I just don't want wall walking to be better for the wrong reasons.

Comments

• Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    I actually feel the same, although for different reasons, there is generally no reason to wall walk as it's just harder to control and doesn't really make you harder to see/shoot in the narrow corridors and cramped rooms which comprise most of the game's environments.

It's useful to get around obstacles, and maybe to ambush people, but generally there's no point in it, making footsteps quieter won't help as nobody in their right mind would sacrifice actual mobility for quieter footsteps, and if they wanted to, walking is a better option.
  • SmaugSmaug Join Date: 2011-05-23 Member: 100283Members
    edited October 2011
    I would also go as far as to say that a problem is how incredibly bumpy the walls and ceilings are, that half the time I end up falling off when I simply shouldn't fall off because of the architecture design to make the map more visually pleasing. If I could reliably stick to the walls and ceilings I would do it more (Read: All the time).

My only suggestion would be to add some nodraw textures (I don't know what Spark would use, this would be my answer for Source's Hammer editor) to make the walls and ceilings more smooth for the skulk.

Edit: To the above post, you should use wall/ceiling walking in tandem with another friendly unit - 2 skulks engaging marines who're running on the floor is alot easier to kill than say, 2 skulks engaging the marines, one on the floor and one on the ceiling, and I think alot of people have problems with Z-fighting so I do believe that wall/ceiling walking makes you harder to hit, but I might be wrong!
  • CygoneCygone Join Date: 2011-05-29 Member: 101528Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1881402:date=Oct 23 2011, 06:01 PM:name=Smaug)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Smaug @ Oct 23 2011, 06:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881402"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would also go as far as to say that a problem is how incredibly bumpy the walls and ceilings are, that half the time I end up falling off when I simply shouldn't fall off because of the architecture design to make the map more visually pleasing. If I could reliably stick to the walls and ceilings I would do it more (Read: All the time).

My only suggestion would be to add some nodraw textures (I don't know what Spark would use, this would be my answer for Source's Hammer editor) to make the walls and ceilings more smooth for the skulk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Floor 100% smooth,
    Walls and Ceiling, not, you need to make them smoother to alloow better movement.
  • HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1881402:date=Oct 23 2011, 01:01 PM:name=Smaug)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Smaug @ Oct 23 2011, 01:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881402"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would also go as far as to say that a problem is how incredibly bumpy the walls and ceilings are, that half the time I end up falling off when I simply shouldn't fall off because of the architecture design to make the map more visually pleasing. If I could reliably stick to the walls and ceilings I would do it more (Read: All the time).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    True, I would never be on the floors if walls were smoother.
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    I guess someone should make a map designed with gameplay in mind before anything else.

I think you should check out ns2_turtle :p
  • GrizzyGrizzy Join Date: 2011-10-14 Member: 127323Members
    Maybe a good fix for falling off would be to make the only way off falling by jumping in that direction or pressing ctrl to release.
  • HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1881412:date=Oct 23 2011, 01:20 PM:name=Grizzy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Grizzy @ Oct 23 2011, 01:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881412"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe a good fix for falling off would be to make the only way off falling by jumping in that direction or pressing ctrl to release.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The player has to have the option to toggle this on and off.

Some people will love it; other people will hate it.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2011
    Yes, please, don't wall walk. My k/d will thank you.

Of course you are much harder to hit when you wall walk. Marines now have to track you in 3 directions instead of 2. I don't have a problem falling off when looking around. You can strafe on the wall too...just a hint.
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    You can't jump off the wall either like in NS1, which makes you even more movement impaired.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1881435:date=Oct 23 2011, 07:21 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Oct 23 2011, 07:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881435"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, please, don't wall walk. My k/d will thank you.

Of course you are much harder to hit when you wall walk. Marines now have to track you in 3 directions instead of 2. I don't have a problem falling off when looking around. You can strafe on the wall too...just a hint.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

First off, marines only ever have to track you in two directions, because they use instant hit weapons, they only have to track your position horizontally and vertically on their screen. Distance is irrelevant.

Second, walking on walls just means that instead of moving left to right, you move up and down, in fact you are actually less agile, because jumping off walls is a lot harder than jumping off the ground. You also have to look up and down to move up and down, whereas on the floor you can move left and right independently from your view orientation.

Basically your controls are designed to have you running on the floor, because they're identical to the FPS controls in every other floor-based shooter, and running on the walls offers very little to offset the decrease in control effectiveness.

This isn't NS1, where the rooms and halls are very large and the wall space is an important and different space from the floor, this is NS2, where everything is crammed into tiny cramped spaces and wall/ceiling space is more or less the same as the floor space.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    I do agree there is issues with doing combat on walls, but there is times when it is really useful. And if going on the ceiling makes you more quiet I see a reason to not just drop down from my ambush when I see a rine and hunt him, but actually hunt him on the roof until I got a nice easy leap/drop at him.

And you can strafe on walls, if you want to look around you just have to compensate for the angle with your movement keys.
    The roof is a problem though, as you most likely want to look down on the floor while still walking on the roof. And there is no buttons you can use to compensate (sure strafing works as it is independent of your pitch, but it feels wierd to always walk sideways like a crab). I think it has to get way more forgiving at the angles, but if you walk forward and aim really close to the walls normal, you should detach even if you dont press ctrl imho.
  • sumguy720sumguy720 Join Date: 2011-02-09 Member: 81101Members
    Well, I find it encouraging that people are semi-in-consensus about this thing. I was over in the suggestions thread complaining about how I wanted angle-changing wallwalk when I realized all I wanted was wall walking that was more like floor walking.

If the guys in Unknown worlds can do something to help skulks look around while moving on the ceiling that would be just elite. There are simple solutions to this too, methinks, but I wont try to discuss these here because I don't want to derail the thread with trivialities.
    People seem to complain when games add things like their perspective changing when they hit a wall or ceiling like in AvP... although gameplay wise, it's a crap load easier than falling off the ceiling because you didn't look up 1 extra degree.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    the reason people dont wall walk is because its not natural and/or it takes longer to get around doing so. Floor walking is fast and convenient and i think that should be the inherent tradeoff between pace and hitability. Theres a time for wall walking and theres a time for floor walking. I feel unsmooth geometry is what wall walking is supposed to be! Its really kinda boring if all rooms and corridors were just like 4 flat surfaces.

Vision of the floor or surroundings isn't impeded very much either and only requires a pretty basic understanding of your surroundings. I personally don't think the angular tolerance when wall walking is too small (you don't need to be looking at the wall). Infact i think wall walking is a bit too sticky so much so its actually a hindrance sometimes when your jumping around attacking marines.

This is a really hard system to get right without copping out and going the perspective changing route although it'd be kool to see how changing the angular view tolerance would affect wall walking since you can always just press cntrl to drop anyway.
  • Bridger15Bridger15 Join Date: 2009-09-16 Member: 68797Members
    Why not just have a button which you hold down to stay attached to the wall? Better yet, you always stay attached to the wall unless you specifically press a release button (jump?). Then there's no problems of accidentally falling of based on the direction you are looking.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1881438:date=Oct 23 2011, 11:27 AM:name=konata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (konata @ Oct 23 2011, 11:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881438"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can't jump off the wall either like in NS1, which makes you even more movement impaired.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

pfft, Jumping off a wall was a very late (3.0 ? ) addition to NS that I clamored about for years before it was added, kinda like the WELD ME hotkey
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I just don't like how the Skulk always "sticks" to walls or objects when you're near them. I find it hard getting into floor vents because of this.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    It would likely be nice if there was the option of having wall clinging be a toggle, personally I've got little problem with wall walking in most areas. I find it can be useful but i like the fact it isn't a requirement besides for ambushes, which is pretty much a big part of the skulk anyways, and such spots aren't hard to find really.

Ground, wall or Ceiling, once you're spotted as a skulk, having to cover any distance towards a marine is hazardous unless you have leap anyways.
  • paellapaella Join Date: 2007-03-23 Member: 60463Members, Constellation
    edited October 2011
    You use it to set up ambushes, not get around the map. Run on the ground when you know you're safe.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Wall walking still needs some tweaking. It should be as easy to walk on as the floor. At the very least you could just make it so you could have an option to not leave a wall or ceiling unless pressing jump. Then you can look and move around more freely without worrying of falling off the ceiling in front of two marines.
    edited October 2011
    I think it's going to be changed anyway. As at current, because of the "stick to nearest surface" code means you can't actually leave the floor as soon as you retouch it, so you can't jump in succession properly - which is a pretty big movement flaw.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    I love using all available terrain as skulk.
  • SmaugSmaug Join Date: 2011-05-23 Member: 100283Members
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1881518:date=Oct 24 2011, 03:25 AM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Oct 24 2011, 03:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881518"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I love using all available terrain as skulk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I love using all available terrain too, lol, but I don't understand how that contributes to the discussion. It's kinda like discussing how to make cheese more aesthetically pleasing then someone coming along and saying "Cheese is tasty". :P

I think people are kind of misunderstanding the point however, what I was saying with the nodraw idea is not to make it a completly flat surface. In source, a trick you would use to make walking up some stairs smoother is putting a clipping/nodraw texture and have it align with the corners of all the steps. It would make for smoother walking going up stairs instead of that jittery feeling. This is the kind of method I would like to see implemented. Instead of coming up to a bump on the surface and either pushing yourself over or end up dropping because of the bump, there'd be this invisible texture that effectively lets you glide up this bump.

I have to go all out here and say that people who think that these irritating bits of bumping are "part of the gameplay and fun" are a bit stupid. It simply doesn't detract from gameplay using smoother bumps. Having these bits of scenery intefere with my ability to get from point A to point B in the fasshion that I choose simply puts me off doing it (bringing the original point of the thread back!). It's like playing a racing game only to be stopped for a couple of seconds to play a minigame you really hate (that analogy is an exaggeration, but it's 6am and I can't think of a better one).

I believe this has stuff to do with collision, but I may be wrong, but this kind of thing needs to be improved without damaging the gorgous looking maps!

Edit: Another good example of the bump being irritating is using personal cloak and trying to crawl somewhere - bumps in the floor can sometimes force you out of it. This is effectively what happens when you're running along as a skulk on the wall/ceiling and you hit a bump and fall off.
  • MezroMezro Join Date: 2011-08-15 Member: 116627Members
    I like the idea of rotating your view to always have whatever surface you're walking on be the bottom of your screen. This way, you can maneuver on walls just as you can on the floor, and it's difficult to slip off the surface.

The obvious problem with this is your camera might get confusing with how eager the game seems to put you on a wall, especially in places such as vents. Dystopia, a source-mod has done this with their "cyber-space" combat. The only time in that game it really got confusing was going from the floor to the ceiling.

<!--quoteo(post=1881538:date=Oct 24 2011, 01:25 AM:name=Smaug)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Smaug @ Oct 24 2011, 01:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881538"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In source, a trick you would use to make walking up some stairs smoother is putting a clipping/nodraw texture and have it align with the corners of all the steps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I couldn't agree with this more. I don't know if it's a limitation with the engine or what, but mappers -really- need to optimize their maps' collision with nodraws and playerclips. Colliding with random pipes and floor tiles isn't particularly fun, and I'd rather have surfaces that are nearly flat. This problem extends to things like railings. As a skulk, trying to climb up the railing is nearly impossible because of the large section of it that is missing. The lack of such collision optimization and clipping creates inconsistent, awkward movement. I think above all collision should be <b>predictable</b>, which it is not currently.
  • ogzogzogzogz Join Date: 2011-10-01 Member: 124902Members
    edited October 2011
    hmm first thing i did when i loaded up ns2 the first time was run around on the ceiling while looking down

just did it instinctively

not sure what I usually do... maybe I was moving backwards? that way you can face down and the back key will push you up against the wall?

**edit

Hmm on that note though.. would be a good idea to make it so you are 'stuck' to whatever surface you are on so you can wall-walk a lot easier without falling off
    and then.. to actually leave the surface, you 'jump' (or leap) off...
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2011
    Movement is severely lacking in NS2 at the moment.

Too much junk with "accurate" clipping. The geometry used by player collisons against the world should be this nice and smooth surface that you can slip and slide against without getting caught on any small details. In NS this was mostly provided for free as a side-effect of harsh wpoly limits; but there were still some problems with outer edges where brushes meet at an angle which created phantom "lips" and "stairs" that you could not slide over.

The movement code in NS inherited a lot from the HL SDK mod code(see pm_shared.c). It was never intended to be realistic; it was just developed for quake because it felt right for a fast-paced shooter and inherited by half-life and NS in turn. It had a tendency to "exaggerate" rather than "dampen" movement; if you're strafing slightly into a wall, it didn't slow you down, it sped you up slightly; if you were strafing and turning gently it didn't slow you down compared with running in a straight line, it sped you up; you had fairly precise control over movement while in the air; it just felt very responsive.

NS2 has a poor/inconsistent framerate due to various performance issues. For me, occlusion culling keeps ###### the bed; which means that after a while my framerate is jo-joing between 5(drawing the whole map) and 50(culling works or looking outwards from the map) as I spin around. Others seem to have input lag or hitching. If you're only sampling the keys each frame, then obviously there's a random error in the length of a keypress that could be as long as the time it takes to render one frame. If you just tap a movement key to peek out or adjust your position slightly behind a building, you're going to move a random distance that may be much greater or smaller than expected.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    I would agree with whoever stated that the complex geometry seems to be more of a problem than sound.
    I wall walk but I find some of the complex ceilings cause me to fall off.

This leads to alot of wall walking but less ceiling walking.

Perhaps the developers and playtesters know more about the code that they wall walk more than us?

oh and +1 to the jump off of walls too.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Well, I am not sure how the skulk wall walk system works, but however it does, if they increased the area of stickiness to account for more drastic changes in geometry relative to the immediate proximity of the surface the skulk is currently on, I believe that would fix a lost of the issues.

Also, holding shift should prevent a skulk from falling off any surface (unless you also use ctrl for a silent detachment).
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1881399:date=Oct 23 2011, 06:38 PM:name=sumguy720)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sumguy720 @ Oct 23 2011, 06:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1881399"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I read this in the design log:
    "- Quieter footsteps when wall-walking (to encourage use of it)"

And I thought to myself: "Oh no, maybe they don't know why people aren't using wall walk!"
    Well, the reason is simple! When you are on a wall, you cannot look away from the wall without falling off. When you are on the floor you can look freely.
    Imagine if players had to look at the floor all the time while playing. They'd never see anything!
    Wall walking adds a surprise advantage but kind of decimates environment visibility. So when I play it's better to be able to see others than it is to have that extra degree of mobility freedom.

so.... don't buff wall walking-- FIX wall walking! I mean, if you know what I'm saying and agree.

PS: I'm not saying the above quote is a bad idea, I just don't want wall walking to be better for the wrong reasons.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm not sure why but not only did this not bother me, I also never noticed it...
  • gorge.ousgorge.ous Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76481Members
    Wall walking or "wall movement" often feels very clunky and unintuitive. Its just not as fluid as floor movement. It takes away much of its use if you run into the danger getting stuck at the wrong moment. So in general I dont use it because I feel to have better chances when staying on the ground. I only use it to set up an ambush, not for offense.

PS: Cheese is tasty :p