Steve Jobs found dead

2»

Comments

• lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    He has been our lovable ball of hate since 2003. We're used to him by now, and it wouldn't be the same if he mellowed out. Don't take it personally, he yells at everyone.
    He's right that your argument was bogus though. His arguments don't gain or lose validity because he does or doesn't own Apple products - maybe he bought an iSomething and was dissatisfied. Or maybe he likes some features of iSomething but doesn't want to buy it because of other features that he thinks are abominable. Or maybe he doesn't like iSomethings at all and he thinks that Apple is leading the industry in the wrong direction - I can certainly agree with the whole lockdown/jailbreak snafu. You shouldn't have to jailbreak your iphone. You shouldn't have to fear that it'll get un-jailbroken or even bricked if you install a firmware update.
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    Apple makes products that are targeted at a non-technical market. This market doesn't care about root access, flash, or arbitrarily changing every little facet of their phone experience. They just want a device that works and is easy to use. If it breaks they don't want to have to take it to geek-squad and be talked to about RAM and reformatting, they just want to hand it to a guy and have him hand them a brand-new one. This is what Apple has accomplished and this is why they are so successful. The technical computer is a thing of the past, simple as that.

I love my Droid X^2 but I can't lie that when I pick up my friends iPhone 4, the lock screen interaction, the application scrolling, the keyboard integration, everything is smoother. Everything feels like part of a whole, not components stacked ontop of one another. This is what is the key to Apples success. Everything simply works the way it should out of the box.

This is why Siri is a big deal. There will be no downloading or setting up of an app, no need to tweak settings or setup voice shortcuts. It will simply already be integrated into the OS. This is what people want, and as Apple has found, they are willing to pay A LOT of money for this. As it is, they are the only ones offering quality and reliability like this.

I don't own Apple products, but if a non-technical person asked me what new laptop or phone they should get, guess what I'm going to tell them?
    It's not a question of either/or though. You're right that the average user doesn't want to "look under the hood" and that they shouldn't have to. That's okay. But that's no justification for locking and barring the hood and saying "no peeking." There's no reason why the enthusiast shouldn't be allowed to tinker with his toys.
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1879166:date=Oct 10 2011, 05:06 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Oct 10 2011, 05:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879166"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's not a question of either/or though. You're right that the average user doesn't want to "look under the hood" and that they shouldn't have to. That's okay. But that's no justification for locking and barring the hood and saying "no peeking." There's no reason why the enthusiast shouldn't be allowed to tinker with his toys.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I suppose, but I can understand it from a Intellectual Property protection point of view. If you are letting people sift through your system files you are putting the security of your devices and your customers at risk. At the same time you are also preventing people from creating knock-offs of your devices.

I build electrical circuits for an engineering contractor. When we ship a finished unit out, we always pot the circuit boards in opaque black epoxy. Part of this is so that the client can't see how it works, so we don't have to worry about them reverse engineering our designs. Sure they own the unit now, but we still don't let them know exactly how it works.
    Maybe they wanted to change out a single resistor to change some variable, we can't let them do this. Is this wrong? We are just a business trying to stay competitive because our livelihoods depend on it. Is it immoral to rob our clients of the ability to completely modify the things we design for them?
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Well if I was your client and I suddenly wanted to change something but found I could not with your product you can bet I would be out looking for a new vendor.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    iTunes and Apple's online store also has something to do with their success. That stuff wont work on other products, so in effect become an investment into the Apple product line...

I guess the consoles (Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony) are a comparable example where hardware and software are tied together and become an investment and a source for laughable things like "OMG XBOX IS TEH SUCKS PS3 IS BETTER!"
    <!--quoteo(post=1879168:date=Oct 10 2011, 11:15 PM:name=Xyth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xyth @ Oct 10 2011, 11:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879168"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I suppose, but I can understand it from a Intellectual Property protection point of view. If you are letting people sift through your system files you are putting the security of your devices and your customers at risk. At the same time you are also preventing people from creating knock-offs of your devices.

I build electrical circuits for an engineering contractor. When we ship a finished unit out, we always pot the circuit boards in opaque black epoxy. Part of this is so that the client can't see how it works, so we don't have to worry about them reverse engineering our designs. Sure they own the unit now, but we still don't let them know exactly how it works.
    Maybe they wanted to change out a single resistor to change some variable, we can't let them do this. Is this wrong? We are just a business trying to stay competitive because our livelihoods depend on it. Is it immoral to rob our clients of the ability to completely modify the things we design for them?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You have a point, but again it's not a dichotomy. You don't have to have a platform that is completely open or completely locked down. According to the hackers, at least, the PS3 is a prime example of this. It was open to some extent - it had a feature that allowed you to install a different OS, and people happily used that. Then one day Sony decided that you were no longer allowed to have this feature in any future firmware updates, forcing you to choose between abandoning the alternate OS or never going online with your console again. A group of people found this to be unacceptable and decided that it was time to "crack the hood" and peer into the inner workings to see if they couldn't get their alternate OS back, which had the side-effect of throwing the doors wide open to piracy. And much gnashing of teeth was done at Sony headquarters.

If you believe the hackers (and the timing of the hack release - AFTER Sony locked their platform down - does at least support their story), they didn't give a whit about piracy, they just wanted their "other OS" feature back. And while Sony was willing to meet them half-way, they were content to let the status quo be.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    <!--quoteo(post=1879165:date=Oct 10 2011, 03:02 PM:name=Xyth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xyth @ Oct 10 2011, 03:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879165"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is why Siri is a big deal. There will be no downloading or setting up of an app, no need to tweak settings or setup voice shortcuts. It will simply already be integrated into the OS. This is what people want, and as Apple has found, they are willing to pay A LOT of money for this. As it is, they are the only ones offering quality and reliability like this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Uh.. you have a Droid, so you *should* know about Voice Search. No setup, built into recent versions of the OS. And has been working exceptionally well for over a year at this point. Essentially what Siri was copied from by the actual developers. Navigate to, listen to, call, send text to, set alarm for, and a number of others... including basic search of course.
  • QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1879018:date=Oct 9 2011, 07:39 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Oct 9 2011, 07:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879018"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So now wanting to do your own stuff with your own MP3 player or whatever is "entitlement"?

An iPad costs how much?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

$499 for an iPad 2. But there are several others out on the market if you don't want to pay that much.

Similarly, there are plenty of offerings for alternative mp3 players and smart phones. Part of what you're buying with Apple is the safety of their walled garden. If you don't like it, don't buy it. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=409Pjtq7jzY" target="_blank">You want it to be one way.</a>
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1878709:date=Oct 8 2011, 03:15 PM:name=Quaunaut)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quaunaut @ Oct 8 2011, 03:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878709"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and has provided one of the best development environments out there<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd like to believe that if some of the best programmers I've known had not constantly complained about how much they hate developing on the iOS.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    I still don't understand why so many apps are iOS only, since Android has about twice the market share. Maybe it really is easier to develop for iOS.

<a href="http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/06/21/needham-androids-market-share-peaked-in-march/" target="_blank">http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/06/21/nee...eaked-in-march/</a>