NS2HD NS2 Beta Tournament

191011121315»

Comments

• swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2HD will randomly draw a Map that teams will play a Match on (I.e all Games in a Match played on that map).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm still a bit concerned about this one. You need a maplist of the maps that will be played at the tournament.
    This way the teams will know which maps to practice.
    My suggestion for a maplist:
    Summit
    Descent
    Triad
    Tram(if performance and map layout gets better)
    Veil(if more finalized)

Rockdown would need massive changes, and Tram kind of have the same problem as Rockdown.
    The problem is that the Center Tech points are too easily sieged. And they offer a too big advantage to aliens in the early game if they get a hive up.
  • Boxer`DBoxer`D Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112532Members
    edited October 2011
    How about summit only =D It's fully balanced.
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1877951:date=Oct 3 2011, 05:17 PM:name=Boxer`D)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Boxer`D @ Oct 3 2011, 05:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877951"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about summit only =D It's fully balanced.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I agree, until maps like descent are balanced and veil is finished, summit is the only safe map for the tournament. But who knows what maps will be at our disposal by the end of the month! ;)
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    More maps all dependent on the map situation at tournament start date. I'm quietly listening to all the map discussion and rest assured I am aware that some are not ready for tournament play.

<b>Match Roster</b>

As you might have noticed, there are 18 teams registered but 16 slots. I can't bear to deny Team #156 2 and Inversion their respective registrations, and so am rejigging the tournament format. I have two options in my mind right now and would like your feedback. (Alternatives welcome).

In giving your opinions and feedback, please remember: <b>This is a 'cast' tournament, it will be showy, it is intended to promote NS2</b>. It won't necessarily perfectly decide the best NS2 Beta team. That can come later in the form of leagues, tournaments, ladders, etc. With that in mind:

Option 1: <b>Single elimination with random qualifier</b>

A single elimination tree in which four of eighteen teams must play through a qualifier. Imagine a 16 team single elimination tree, but with an extra qualifier match tacked on either side.

This format results in 18 matches, and is currently my clear preference.

Option 2: <b>Group elimination</b>

Six groups of three teams. Each team in each group plays the other two teams. The best team in each group advances (How do we define best).

The advancing six teams enter two more groups of three. Each team in each of the two groups then plays the other teams. The best team in each group advances to a grand final, and the second best team in each group advances to a third place playoff.

This format results in 24 matches, and it would take a lot of very convincing arguments to subject me to this additional casting pain.

If you've got comments, please make them fairly quickly as I'm overdue to get the roster out. Only 25 days out now, I am very excited and thanks again to all registered teams, all prize pool donors, and all server donors.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I have just realised, I don't think I have a form from Sproggalots. Now this could be another indication that I have dementia. Gibbz, please contact me at NS2HD@live.com.au ASAP.

If Sproggalots does in fact not enter the tournament, I will respectfully ask 156 to withdraw their second team and will revert to a 16 team single elimination.

(Sorry for the double post!)
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    I don't think you need to make it an 18 team tournament. I seriously doubt that every team signed up will be able to play. AFAIK anagram, f4 and sproggalots aren't active atm. Perhaps they will be come the end of the month, but I think it's better to have a couple of teams on stand by just in case. I'd rather see every match played - the full tournament from start to finish - rather than several teams getting bys or not enough players showing up to certain matches. If this happens one of the stand by teams could easily be rescheduled to play.

You should make allowances for things not going 100% smoothly as I think it'd be much better to have a full tournament played and available to watch on youtube, rather than teams being disqualified for not being on time etc.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    edited October 2011
    Any timeline for schedules? When do you plan on releasing play dates (for all teams)?
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1877984:date=Oct 4 2011, 06:50 AM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Oct 4 2011, 06:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877984"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have just realised, I don't think I have a form from Sproggalots. Now this could be another indication that I have dementia. Gibbz, please contact me at NS2HD@live.com.au ASAP.

If Sproggalots does in fact not enter the tournament, I will respectfully ask 156 to withdraw their second team and will revert to a 16 team single elimination.

(Sorry for the double post!)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    F4 won't be playing.
  • -[420]-Papageorgio-[420]-Papageorgio Join Date: 2011-09-23 Member: 122961Members
    edited October 2011
    Add team: -[420]- to the list

Team Captain: will be me -[420]-Papageorgio

Server: will be up shortly and will have a Chicago location
    edited October 2011
    Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the draft draw:

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b><a href="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap9Sjp-fvCT4dHB5Sm9ORGJvbkJoVXRHNW0yTmwxa1E&hl=en_GB#gid=2" target="_blank">NS2HD Beta Tournament Draft Draw</a></b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

All feedback welcome. If you would like to present an argument for change privately, please feel free to email me at NS2HD@live.com.au

Note the contingency at the bottom of the draw. Sproggalots, please contact me asap if you are still playing.

Draft match times will go out in 24 hours.
  • PhYzorPhYzor Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 22005Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
  • Boxer`DBoxer`D Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112532Members
    See you soon 420 or Cyd ;)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    What happens if a team drops out before the tournament starts? Does their opponent (in the bracket) get a free round or a new opponent?
    <!--quoteo(post=1878079:date=Oct 5 2011, 09:10 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Oct 5 2011, 09:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878079"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What happens if a team drops out before the tournament starts? Does their opponent (in the bracket) get a free round or a new opponent?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Preferably the latter but likely the former.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Are the rosters going to be public?
  • FriekFriek Join Date: 2003-11-06 Member: 22343Members
    Dont know if we'll be able to sign up in time or if we will have enough members by then buttt

Team Late night Homies (Late night Pacific players) would like to take part in tourney if we can recruit more capable people currently there are 3 in our roster
    (i8^(l) Exodus - Leader
    (i8^(l) Friek
    (i8^(l) Geek_(_l_)
    edited October 2011
    Hi Friek, the tournament is currently full. However, it's more than likely there will be at least one dropout, so I will put you on the waiting list to go in. Please email me at NS2HD@live.com.au so I can send you the registration form.

EDIT: This thread has become too long, the OP too confusing, and with the draw out it's time for a fresh start.

<!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b><a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=115074" target="_blank">Please continue discussion in this new thread.</a></b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited October 2011
    Closing this thread to direct traffic to the countdown thread via the link above.
This discussion has been closed.