2nd Monitor Support

CygoneCygone Join Date: 2011-05-29 Member: 101528Members
edited October 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">For Map</div>I know not everyone has more than one monitor, but it is certaintly becoming more and more popular with higher spec computers to have 2; if not 3 or 4 screen connected to a single PC.

I would like to see native support, to allow a 2nd screen to be used to constantly show the map in large detail. I believe that World in Conflict had something like this, though I might be wrong on that.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I remember someone in the modding sections was thinking about modding this into the game. Not sure what became of that though and I don't feel like searching :P

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?s=&act=Search&mode=adv&f=0" target="_blank">Advanced search at your disposal here</a>, if you feel like searching the depth of the forums...
  • CygoneCygone Join Date: 2011-05-29 Member: 101528Members
    Ill have a look, but +1 if you support this idea
  • HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
    Dual monitor support would be great. But I doubt the DEVs would start working on anything like that until the game is almost finished.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am not sure but didn't the minimap updates on a non opened minimap cause alot of traffic? And having it on all the time, atleast know in beta, could kill your FPS.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    +1 such a mod would be awesome!
    But a little bit unfair for gamers with only one monitor I guess..
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    +1
    The only other game I've played that allowed this was Supreme Commander, great RTS, greater for having that supported.
  • RichardRahlRichardRahl Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104594Members
    -1 should not be supported. Someone should not have an advantage simply because they can afford a second monitor.
  • MonoLOLMonoLOL Join Date: 2003-10-13 Member: 21657Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1877985:date=Oct 4 2011, 07:08 AM:name=RichardRahl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RichardRahl @ Oct 4 2011, 07:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877985"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-1 should not be supported. Someone should not have an advantage simply because they can afford a second monitor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Regardless of the fact I actually use 3 monitors, I agree with this.
  • SteinhauerSteinhauer Join Date: 2010-07-17 Member: 72493Members
    Don't see how it provides an advantage. You still have to consciously look over and remove your eyes from the main screen to see the map, which leaves you just as vulnerable as otherwise. It's just less ANNOYING to look at an adjacent screen for the minimap. If you expanded your FOV by adding new screens I would disapprove because of the unfair advantage, but this is fine.

+1
  • CygoneCygone Join Date: 2011-05-29 Member: 101528Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1877985:date=Oct 4 2011, 07:08 AM:name=RichardRahl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RichardRahl @ Oct 4 2011, 07:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877985"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-1 should not be supported. Someone should not have an advantage simply because they can afford a second monitor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is a mute point, you can argue someone with a high spec machine who gets better FPS has an unfair advantage, or someone with a faster internet connection gets an unfair advantage, or someone with a decent set of head phones gets an advantage. If you play games on a PC you expect it to cost alot of money compared to consoles, this is the price you pay.