Are there any effective counters against fades?

Comments

• PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited August 2011
    Fade is hard to kill, but you need teamplay i like it.
  • RichardRahlRichardRahl Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104594Members
    Oh look it's another one of these topics
  • RebellionEliteRebellionElite Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112530Members
    Give me an HMG and the fade problem will be solved, Jesus does has no one remember what NS1 was like? It did indeed take 2-3 Marines to kill a fade at minimum until the HMG came into play. I remember in NS1 having to still empty a full HMG clip into a fade to bring him down, they were tough ######s.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    I don't think HMG would be more efficient since you can only shoot at a fade for like 1 second, the shotgun is clearly better at this (i.e. doing lots of damage in a short window of time).

I would be interesting to try, just for for one build, to remove the fade invulnerability spell (but keep the invisibility one).
  • kaffaljidhmakaffaljidhma Join Date: 2011-07-14 Member: 110392Members
    That all changes when you use flamethrowers.
    edited August 2011
    Fade need teamplay, 2 fades are beast, same with marines, i keep my comment back, now i play fade and its harder then it looks like ^^
  • MajinMajin Join Date: 2003-05-29 Member: 16829Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1867816:date=Aug 9 2011, 12:08 PM:name=ASnogarD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ASnogarD @ Aug 9 2011, 12:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867816"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now thats a silly argument...xxx costs so much so you cant win unless you spend xxx+

Ok I buy a GL, so if a Skulk kills me the skulks must get nerfed hard as my GL costs so much more than the Skulk.
    You spend resources to invest in a form that has usefull abilities to help you kill ( or support ), it shouldnt mean you are automatically unbeatable by the enemy unless they have more expensive items.
    A Fade should be deadly, but still killable even by LMG if the Fade is not being used properly... ie tanking LMG fire instead of using its Blink to get into better positioning.

When my teammates are down and I am trying to return to base alone, shall I just throw my LMG away and fetch a coffee if I see a Fade ?
    As a Skulk I can still believe I can take on any Marine irrespective of what they are carrying, it doesnt mean I actually so take them on and win ... most of the time I get beaten hard but I still think I can fight.
    As a LMG Marine, there is a sinking feeling of impeding doom if I see a Fade, a feeling of [bleeep] thats it I am finished, no chance. Its that which in my opinion makes it less fun to play as a Marine.
    Somehow NS 1 had a balance where a LMG could beat a Fade, you never felt completely out of the fight due to having only a LMG... least I didnt feel like that... I opened fire on that Fade, and often scared the bugger off or on occasion it died.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why should a lone marine with a LMG be able to take on a Fade?
    1v1 the fade SHOULD be able to tank all your fire and take you down if you are only armed with a LMG.
    Fades feel a bit too strong right now, but that is because they are able to out maneuver the marines so easily.
    The new Beacon allows for some really impressive marine counters to fade attacks on the base.
    A really amazing tactic that I used today was to place a Obs in each base I held and simply recall the marines to the base that was under attack, send them into a hive and recall them, rinse and repeat. Fades were dropping like flies
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    A fully upgraded lmg should hurt; but shouldn't be life threatening to a fade.

Now a shotgun on the other hand...well, that's another story.
  • PseudoKnightPseudoKnight Join Date: 2002-06-18 Member: 791Members
    edited August 2011
    A fade is an INVESTMENT. If you lose to just an LMG, then you lose all that res without the marine having to pay a dime. A fade is expected to take down a few marines at least, or it's not worth the cost. For marines, while it's a difficult challenge, know that if they take that fade down, they got a huge victory.

Don't forget the RTS part of this game.
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1868272:date=Aug 10 2011, 11:50 PM:name=PseudoKnight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PseudoKnight @ Aug 10 2011, 11:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868272"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A fade is an INVESTMENT. If you lose to just an LMG, then you lose all that res without the marine having to pay a dime. A fade is expected to take down a few marines at least, or it's not worth the cost. For marines, while it's a difficult challenge, know that if they take that fade down, they got a huge victory.

Don't forget the RTS part of this game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 this

If a fade dies you can't just go pick up the fade up again, it's another 50 res. meanwhile marines can keep picking up the same weapons or pick up new ones for half if not more of the fade cost. Fade will fall real quick once marines get Heavy armor and heavy cannon.
  • kaffaljidhmakaffaljidhma Join Date: 2011-07-14 Member: 110392Members
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1868221:date=Aug 10 2011, 04:59 PM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Aug 10 2011, 04:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868221"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ehm did you not play NS1?
    You could hit the Fade EVERYTIME, now he is invulnerable if he use blink...
    I hope it will change with jetpacks or miniguns.

@kaffaljidhma
    It helps but you can go down very quick and the flames are not that long anymore.
    Looks like if the fade blink, the fire disapear faster, im not sure.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The fire going out with blinking is an illusion, at least with all the times I've been lit on fire. If you think you can cut it short, then that's a bug report.

Any marine with any weapons that encounters a fade alone is going down, so it stands to reason that no marine can invest as much res as a fade does in one life. If marines in groups could prevent any deaths reliably against fades, then the marine strategy would always be to clump up and rush the hive.
  • azimaithazimaith Join Date: 2011-07-03 Member: 107686Members
    The understanding that Fades cost 50 res must also be tempered with the understanding you can easily rack up 200+ resources on an alien, especially one that happens to be good at slaying marines.

I think Fades would be massively more tolerable for players if pres were capped at 100 or so. Tres should probably also be capped at some point or it loses all value later in the game.

As for one to one against Fades, you can (and I have) kill them 1-1 with a shotgun, you better have good aim though. Another note, Fades live more because of the support they get than the Fades themselves. A Fade who goes lone wolfing actually is fairly easy to kill because he can't just run down around a corner to waiting gorge, he has to run back to a hive. When a marine team actually pursues Fades instead of running away scared when it turns and runs (because apparently they take the Fade fleeing as a sign they should flee as well?) It can easily find itself blinking on 0 adrenaline then eating fire and dying.
    People in the game get too afraid of dying for some reason, if you can suicide into a room, kill the gorge, which then causes the Fade to be forced to retreat, which allows the whole team to push through, do it, don't run back and forth like a panty-waist.
    <!--quoteo(post=1868278:date=Aug 11 2011, 07:31 AM:name=kaffaljidhma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kaffaljidhma @ Aug 11 2011, 07:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868278"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The fire going out with blinking is an illusion, at least with all the times I've been lit on fire. If you think you can cut it short, then that's a bug report.

Any marine with any weapons that encounters a fade alone is going down, so it stands to reason that no marine can invest as much res as a fade does in one life. If marines in groups could prevent any deaths reliably against fades, then the marine strategy would always be to clump up and rush the hive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Then it must be a bug, last days i try and the fade burn just 1 second, maybe the time of beeing on fire is changed.
    After i put my whole gas in his body he blink away, 1-2 seconds later after he blinks, the fire turn off.
    I am very sure there some bugs with the fades, otherwise i can not explain why the most fade player have like unlimited of energy.
    If i play fade and use blink to enemy, slay him 1-2 times, my blink is half gone so can only blink away.
    Maybe its because my low fps and so i lose time...who knows, peformence is horrible in 184 for me :-(
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1868294:date=Aug 11 2011, 02:02 AM:name=azimaith)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (azimaith @ Aug 11 2011, 02:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868294"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think Fades would be massively more tolerable for players if pres were capped at 100 or so. Tres should probably also be capped at some point or it loses all value later in the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1
    Resources should be valuable, they kinda lose their value in late-game because of this.
  • IactoIacto Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75209Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1868077:date=Aug 10 2011, 01:19 PM:name=ASnogarD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ASnogarD @ Aug 10 2011, 01:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868077"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is that what UWE intend to do , or is that already in the game... iirc Fades are already pretty bad at taking down buildings, but still tanky.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is something they said on <a href="https://www.facebook.com/NaturalSelection2" target="_blank">facebook</a> a few days ago, about the same time as 184 was released. So it's not in the game yet, but it will be. I don't know why people are still talking about this...

<!--coloro:#9DA0A3--><span style="color:#9DA0A3"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->UWE ARE CHANGING THE FADE<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Basically we just need to wait for the next patch and complain that now we can't get 50:1 KDR as fade.
  • Matthew94Matthew94 Join Date: 2011-08-06 Member: 114690Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1868211:date=Aug 10 2011, 08:51 PM:name=RichardRahl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RichardRahl @ Aug 10 2011, 08:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868211"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh look it's another one of these topics<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What? A topic where I asked for help against an enemy I have real difficulty with, is that so wrong?
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1868254:date=Aug 11 2011, 02:26 AM:name=Majin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Majin @ Aug 11 2011, 02:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868254"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why should a lone marine with a LMG be able to take on a Fade?
    1v1 the fade SHOULD be able to tank all your fire and take you down if you are only armed with a LMG.
    Fades feel a bit too strong right now, but that is because they are able to out maneuver the marines so easily.
    The new Beacon allows for some really impressive marine counters to fade attacks on the base.
    A really amazing tactic that I used today was to place a Obs in each base I held and simply recall the marines to the base that was under attack, send them into a hive and recall them, rinse and repeat. Fades were dropping like flies<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1868272:date=Aug 11 2011, 04:50 AM:name=PseudoKnight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PseudoKnight @ Aug 11 2011, 04:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868272"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A fade is an INVESTMENT. If you lose to just an LMG, then you lose all that res without the marine having to pay a dime. A fade is expected to take down a few marines at least, or it's not worth the cost. For marines, while it's a difficult challenge, know that if they take that fade down, they got a huge victory.

Don't forget the RTS part of this game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So if a unskilled player invests enough res that player can buy the ability to kill opponents irrespective of the opponents skill ? Thats what both of you are saying.
    In fact we should take control away from the players, and let the commanders just move us about as they wish as FPS skill doesnt count.

When you go Fade you are buying that forms abilities, not investing in free kills... if you cant use those abilities then yes you should die to a mere LMG user. The Fade has the ability to close range extremely fast, this bypasses the LMG's only real advantage over the Fade...range.
    Skulks bypass the LMG range with wallwalking and ambushing, LMG bypasses Skulks by checking the corners and being prepared for ambushes as best as possible.
    The Fade doesnt need to sneak about to close range, it has the ability to close range quickly...so if a Fade allows a mere LMG user to be able to put down a clips worth of LMG fire, yes it should die.

When the Exo suits come in, will it be ok for the Exo user to sit and laugh at the Fade as it swipes with no effect at the Exo ? The Exo user has spent more res after all, so the Fade cant beat it... yes ?
    Rubbish.

You spend res to buy abilities to make you more effective, not buying skill.
    We aint playing rock , scissors and paper here.

Lets see what UWE does with the Fade.
    I remember the first times I went fade in NS1 : fading, blinking in the (lmg) marines and dying.

"Flash fade lol !"

Back to skulk, zero res. That was painful. But somehow more rewarding on the long run that the current fade.
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    You can try to block a fade.
    When a fade blinks in to fight 3 marines and you are one of them you can try to run around it and stand in the doorway it came from. When it's health gets low it will panic and try to escape via blink. With some luck you will block it while its blinking -> more time to shoot and kill it.
    Not a very effective counter .... maybe not a counter at all but worth a try imo.

And please stop comparing it to the ns1 fade. This is not ns1.

I agree that the fade should be dangerous. It's not easy to play anyway. You spend most of your time reloading energy.
    Fade is ok how he is now, marines got a lot of stuff with jetpack and stuff it will be balanced.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And please stop comparing it to the ns1 fade. This is not ns1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's a good thing that it is not because comparing ns1 fade with ns1 fade would lead to trivial and non-informative statement like fade = fade.

Anyway, I was just wondering if other people experienced the flash fade syndrome.

I try sometimes to block fades but didn't had much success yet, but it a good idea yeah.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    Only flash fades in NS2 are when you shoot the egg that's evolving :P
    <!--quoteo(post=1868335:date=Aug 11 2011, 06:59 AM:name=Matthew94)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Matthew94 @ Aug 11 2011, 06:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868335"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What? A topic where I asked for help against an enemy I have real difficulty with, is that so wrong?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why don't you try searching the word fade in the forums and read the last 10 or so threads about it.
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1868418:date=Aug 11 2011, 09:06 PM:name=RichardRahl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RichardRahl @ Aug 11 2011, 09:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868418"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why don't you try searching the word fade in the forums and read the last 10 or so threads about it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well instead of being sarcastic and unfriendly, and coming off rather troll-like in your behaviour... you could of pointed the OP out to the relevant thread instead ?
  • azimaithazimaith Join Date: 2011-07-03 Member: 107686Members
    Honestly with Fades, I understand peoples gripes, whether its balanced or not, its fun fighting classes with a 20/1 K/D ratio all the time. The obvious solution is to reduce Fades capabilities and lower their price to 20 pts. Suddenly it's not as huge of a deal if you eat it, same as a GL/Shot, people get their kills, the endless fades go away.

Giving players serious advantages based on res spent is obviously part of the game, but when it gets in the way of fun, it's better to pull back on that I think.
    <!--quoteo(post=1868422:date=Aug 11 2011, 04:30 PM:name=ASnogarD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ASnogarD @ Aug 11 2011, 04:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868422"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well instead of being sarcastic and unfriendly, and coming off rather troll-like in your behaviour... you could of pointed the OP out to the relevant thread instead ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

just reading the 1st or second page of threads in the forum would of done that
  • SkvateSkvate Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9892Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited August 2011
    Didnt read the whole thread...but heres some tricks that work.

1on1 is usually hopeless...unless you can outsmart the other player somehow. Like hiding and waiting for them to attack a structure and put a couple of SG rounds in their backs. Also, if you manage to trap them somewhere...like in the gutters outside Heliport(ns_summit), you should be able to kill them. You can hide down in the gutter and try to lure them to come after you. They will have trouble moving in such cramped spaces. A skulk will usually eat you ofc.
    Another fun trick(bug i guess) is entering the CC while they try to kill you. If he's on the CC space while its closing, he might get killed.

Head on in a open room is a death sentence without backup, preferably someone with a flamer that can sap all their adrenaline. Run after them when they try to escape, since they cant blink very far with the flames sapping them....obviously.

If they have a gorge to back them up, they are near unkillable, so go for the gorge instead, and die knowing you made traveltime for the fade a lot longer.

The main problem for fades are that they are kinda big and clunky compared to the others, so they often get stuck when blinking(at least I do...but im not the best fade around). Whoever is com should think about this when laying out the structures of the main base. Making it hard for the fade to ninjakill, but not making it too hard for the marines to find their way around(and blocking each other). I would try making a "maze" of structures that the marines know how to get out of, but that traps the fade unless it blinks up, making it a easy target. Should make the marines main base harder to dominate with fades at least.
    The problem is ofc that skulks excel in cramped spaces :(
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1868446:date=Aug 11 2011, 05:30 PM:name=azimaith)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (azimaith @ Aug 11 2011, 05:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868446"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Honestly with Fades, I understand peoples gripes, whether its balanced or not, its fun fighting classes with a 20/1 K/D ratio all the time. The obvious solution is to reduce Fades capabilities and lower their price to 20 pts. Suddenly it's not as huge of a deal if you eat it, same as a GL/Shot, people get their kills, the endless fades go away.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This.

As I understand it, fade is a lvl2 tech that should be comparable to marine lvl2 tech (GL/FT). As such, they should probably be close in costs (roughly 25-30 PRes) and the abilities increased/decreased to compensate. The problem right now is that the res model is way messed up, with aliens getting too much res and marines getting too few, so UWE did a quick-fix balance by jacking up the fade cost. That worked with the old blink, but not with the new blink. Reducing fade damage and cost would go a long way in fixing the issue.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited August 2011
    IMHO, fade is about how it should be.

Lets just be patient and see what unfolds next. In the meantime, stay in groups!
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The best counter against a Fade are 3 Marines 1 Flamer 1SG and 1 GL (Gl btw us the best way killing a Fade.

Let the SG,Flamer and LMG doing damage at a Fade and when he wants to Flee Spam some Nades in that direction he blinked. Really GL is tge best counter because of it high DMG and AOE, will mean you don't have to Aim at the Fade but with 50% chance you will hit him!