Alien/Marine Commander Building Issues [184]

vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
edited August 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Issues post [184] build, making it difficult to drop structures</div>Instead of going into a details explanation of what's going on and creating a wall of text. I decided to throw some videos up on my channel showing the issues from both the Alien and Marine commander view. I also want to note that I also show an issue with the Distress beacon [Marines show up, disappear, then show back up in base].

<b>Marine Commander/Distress Beacon:</b>
<div align='left'><center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ax34Vo2RAzw"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ax34Vo2RAzw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center></div>

<b>Alien Commander:</b>
<div align='left'><center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1TiPngOfGNI"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1TiPngOfGNI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center></div>

Comments

• FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There era some more to mention:
    -building a Mac when a Mac is building you lose 5 Res because a new Mac build starts
    -beacon sometimes does not work (alarm but no teleport)
    -Marine com sometimes can't see Alien buildings (even when scanned or a Marin knifes it)
    -sometimes Marine com can't see Aliens (also when scanned or they are attaxking)
    -ARCs don't shoot even with LOS or scan (happend in 2 games for me)
    -if you give a direct repair irder to a Mac it go slowmotion but a move to order doesn't do this
    -if you give a Mac a order to build sometimes it can't because the Mac causes the Entinity limit in this area

Think there are more but don't remember them!
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1868118:date=Aug 10 2011, 12:13 PM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Aug 10 2011, 12:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868118"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There era some more to mention:
    -building a Mac when a Mac is building you lose 5 Res because a new Mac build starts
    -beacon sometimes does not work (alarm but no teleport)
    -Marine com sometimes can't see Alien buildings (even when scanned or a Marin knifes it)
    -sometimes Marine com can't see Aliens (also when scanned or they are attaxking)
    -ARCs don't shoot even with LOS or scan (happend in 2 games for me)
    -if you give a direct repair irder to a Mac it go slowmotion but a move to order doesn't do this
    -if you give a Mac a order to build sometimes it can't because the Mac causes the Entinity limit in this area

Think there are more but don't remember them!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I have another series of videos I am putting together today that cover almost all of these! It should be done and finish tonight! Thanks for pointing them out ahead of time!
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1868118:date=Aug 10 2011, 09:13 AM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Aug 10 2011, 09:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868118"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-if you give a direct repair irder to a Mac it go slowmotion but a move to order doesn't do this<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The op's and this bug are the most annoying imo. Also, sometimes MACs/Drifters fly out/get stuck in the abyss still, though it isn't as bad as previous builds.
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1868146:date=Aug 10 2011, 01:27 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Aug 10 2011, 01:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868146"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The op's and this bug are the most annoying imo. Also, sometimes MACs/Drifters fly out/get stuck in the abyss still, though it isn't as bad as previous builds.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm not sure if this is because of the map developer, but I notice this happening a large amount on the map triad[24]. I recorded a video which I will be uploading tonight of this issue as well.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nah it happens on all Maps.

Other Bugs I remeber and new found:
    -blink sound doesn't stop playing when doing a short blink
    -hydras still blocking RTs when build close to a node
    -Macs can be kicked out of the Map by other ones if they are stacked
    -it is still possible to have a Whip, a Crag and a Shade with 1 Hive
    -wallwalking as Skulk does somerimes uncloak you because the Skulk get pulled to a wall
    -emergency light nit always apear when Commander
    -Obs does not uncloak Aliens in range
  • TravCarpTravCarp Join Date: 2010-06-04 Member: 71962Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited August 2011
    - I had the alien evolve menu bug out on me.
    lookpic.com/c1/i2/3237/aeoF4Qh3.jpeg

-Spawned at marine ip as an alien skulk
  • SquidgetSquidget Join Date: 2003-06-13 Member: 17334Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1868232:date=Aug 10 2011, 06:43 PM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Aug 10 2011, 06:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868232"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-Obs does not uncloak Aliens in range<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What do you mean why this? Scanner sweep? It doesn't passively reveal aliens, right?
    <!--quoteo(post=1868283:date=Aug 11 2011, 02:15 AM:name=Squidget)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squidget @ Aug 11 2011, 02:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868283"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What do you mean why this? Scanner sweep? It doesn't passively reveal aliens, right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nope! Which it technically should...
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    You sure know how alien cloaking works.
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1868353:date=Aug 11 2011, 07:18 AM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Aug 11 2011, 07:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868353"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nope! Which it technically should...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why should it? I don't remember what the in game tool tip says, but from the patch notes: Triggering cloak on Shade will cloak nearby players and structures. They are invisible to sentries and enemy players until they take damage or they attack (Players, Whips, Hydras), up to 15 seconds.
    <!--quoteo(post=1868353:date=Aug 11 2011, 09:18 AM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Aug 11 2011, 09:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868353"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nope! Which it technically should...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This would be extremely useful, sure, but I don't recall this ever being stated by a official source...
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    also marines cannot build on infestation or is this on purpose? for both regular buildings and rts. line of sight for marine buildings really does need to be fixed so it works. los for marines running around is the same. showing stuff on the marine commander view from los needs to be fixed.
    <!--quoteo(post=1868359:date=Aug 11 2011, 10:22 AM:name=Squidget)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squidget @ Aug 11 2011, 10:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868359"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This would be extremely useful, sure, but I don't recall this ever being stated by a official source...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If I remember correctly, the observatory disabled the cloaking abilities of sensory chambers when built within a radius [probably wrong, haven't touched NS1 since 2006]. Also, a scan would reveal any cloaked objects, which it also currently does not [I believe this is true as well, but I am unable to confirm at the moment].

The observatory should un-camo/un-cloak anything within a certain radius of it. A skulk having the ability to creep into Marine start without any form of defense to prevent this, is pure ludicrous. Camo should not work when an Alien class is within the radius of the observatory.
    One bug that really annoys me is when the sentry gun keeps playing the firing noise after a battle. Drives me insane!
    <!--quoteo(post=1868374:date=Aug 11 2011, 12:12 PM:name=---)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (--- @ Aug 11 2011, 12:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868374"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One bug that really annoys me is when the sentry gun keeps playing the firing noise after a battle. Drives me insane!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not really sure what you mean, can you explain this more?
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    it is rare but sometimes the sentry guns have the same sound bug marine rifles used to have where it wont stop the firing sound.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1868374:date=Aug 11 2011, 09:12 AM:name=---)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (--- @ Aug 11 2011, 09:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868374"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One bug that really annoys me is when the sentry gun keeps playing the firing noise after a battle. Drives me insane!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can confirm this too, but I don't have any idea how to reproduce. You can get it to stop by allowing the sentry that is causing the sound looping attack you again (it seems to reset the sound).
    <!--quoteo(post=1868361:date=Aug 11 2011, 10:32 AM:name=BJHBnade_spammer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BJHBnade_spammer @ Aug 11 2011, 10:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868361"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->also marines cannot build on infestation or is this on purpose? for both regular buildings and rts. line of sight for marine buildings really does need to be fixed so it works. los for marines running around is the same. showing stuff on the marine commander view from los needs to be fixed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Marines cannot build on infestation by design.

Yeah, LOS is busted.
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1868368:date=Aug 11 2011, 11:12 AM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Aug 11 2011, 11:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868368"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If I remember correctly, the observatory disabled the cloaking abilities of sensory chambers when built within a radius [probably wrong, haven't touched NS1 since 2006]. Also, a scan would reveal any cloaked objects, which it also currently does not [I believe this is true as well, but I am unable to confirm at the moment].

The observatory should un-camo/un-cloak anything within a certain radius of it. A skulk having the ability to creep into Marine start without any form of defense to prevent this, is pure ludicrous. Camo should not work when an Alien class is within the radius of the observatory.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've tried to avoid assuming that any feature will be in NS2 ONLY because it was in NS1. However, I do agree that it would be nice to have, but I'm more afraid of Gorges in my base than Skulks!

Yes, Scanner Sweep does reveal cloaked aliens. Either that or they move every time I ping them. :)

<!--quoteo(post=1868118:date=Aug 10 2011, 12:13 PM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Aug 10 2011, 12:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868118"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-building a Mac when a Mac is building you lose 5 Res because a new Mac build starts<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's even worse than that. If you build an ARC or MAC, it cancels whatever is in the queue without a refund. If you were building an ARC, you lose a LOT of res.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    its too fun sneaking into MS and running to the coner throwing down a cyst and 4 hydras and then stay cloaked keeping them healed :) get uber res from kills too :P
    <!--quoteo(post=1868423:date=Aug 11 2011, 04:30 PM:name=WasabiOne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WasabiOne @ Aug 11 2011, 04:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868423"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->its too fun sneaking into MS and running to the coner throwing down a cyst and 4 hydras and then stay cloaked keeping them healed :) get uber res from kills too :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I sure hope they dont keep the aliens at 100% invisible unless they are within radius of a shade that is using cloak.

Anyway,
    I read the changelog and it appears they have fixed some of the issues in my videos. Lets hope for the best!
  • sasuke2490sasuke2490 Join Date: 2010-06-12 Member: 72034Members
    Yes, I to have noticed while commanding placement of buildings are an issue. Hopefully 185 will not only fix the Lerk ,but also the placement issue.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Its impossible for me to place structures when the squad highlighter circle covers the spot I wanna place something on. Really annoying!

Another thing, aliens werent showing up on my commander view. And observatory scan didnt reveal anything even though I could see the particle effects of crags in the area.
    Structure placement as a commander, Lerk 2.0, bile bomb hurting MACs, collision issues being worked on? Sounds like a good update is in the works.

<b>Can you try out the following feature?</b>
    Allow a fade to run with the SHIFT key. Similar to Marines, and we don't need to have an animation, just test out the possibility of this fixing everybody's complaint about how difficult it is to navigate around the map using blink (then wait for the energy to fill back up).

I'm sure that shouldn't be to hard right? :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1868581:date=Aug 12 2011, 12:33 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Aug 12 2011, 12:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868581"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its impossible for me to place structures when the squad highlighter circle covers the spot I wanna place something on. Really annoying!

Another thing, aliens werent showing up on my commander view. And observatory scan didnt reveal anything even though I could see the particle effects of crags in the area.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1, I have tried scanning hives either being built or built as well as located where their were shades built and it did not pick up anything. However, I was able to see the special effects coming from the structures it was not showing.
  • kaffaljidhmakaffaljidhma Join Date: 2011-07-14 Member: 110392Members
    That's because there was a shade there.

Yes, that's what it does.