Flamethrowers & Lerk Gas

TimTim Join Date: 2011-07-24 Member: 111958Members
Hi,

Probably not the best suggestion, but I thought it would be interesting if lerk spores were set on fire by marine flamethrowers.
It could really be a double-edged blade where the spores would become even more dangerous for a second (since they're now on fire) but would be extinguished/burnt out quite quickly.

Could path the way for some interesting looking effects and add further strategies and mechanics behind lerk spores.
If used correctly it could be a great way for aliens to counter flame throwers or a great way for marines to prevent being blocked/scattered.

Would add more interesting interaction between how both sides adapt to this change when it comes to flamers and gas spam.

Comments

• azimaithazimaith Join Date: 2011-07-03 Member: 107686Members
    It's going to depend on how a concept like that is executed. For one, the lerk might just spam spores as you set them on fire so it doesn't run out, alternately, since the lerk has such a short spore range it might make using spores totally useless. At the moment, running through spores isn't terrible dangerous, only fighting in them is.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Not a bad idea imo.
    To balance this idea though, maybe have spore also put out aliens that are on fire?
  • TimTim Join Date: 2011-07-24 Member: 111958Members
    Really i'd think the damage should be instant or a very short duration and not a lingering effect like the current flame thrower.
  • Str|keStr|ke Join Date: 2011-05-25 Member: 100643Members
    Actually, I think the flamethrower is kindof outdated, and doesn't really act like it's real-life counterpart atm. Unless aliens are naturally flammable. Right now it looks like a gas-flamethrower that emits gas at high velocity and ignites it, much like a lighter and a hairspray can. IRL most flamethrowers use a liquid substance that sticks to it's victims and burns, but that would also dictate that the flamethrower ignites surroundings, like the ground, walls, and ceiling.

I think the flamethrower would be much cooler as a "flaregun" or magnesium rod gun, that fires a burning magnesium rod like a projectile (mode 1) for long range heavy damage attacks. Or shrapnel/flak (mode 2) as an incendiary short range shotgun. Magnesium creates a lot of cool sparks and would DEFINATELY set fire to most things :)

The spores aren't really gas though, but tiny "organic" seeds. If I understand the authors. So they could potentially "burn" and turn into ash/cinder and be rendered less harmful. But in order for it to have any use, I almost suggest the lerk spore range, duration and area be upped so the flamethrowers don't render the lerk completely useless :)
  • TimTim Join Date: 2011-07-24 Member: 111958Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1867490:date=Aug 8 2011, 01:13 PM:name=Str|ke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Str|ke @ Aug 8 2011, 01:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867490"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, I think the flamethrower is kindof outdated, and doesn't really act like it's real-life counterpart atm. Unless aliens are naturally flammable. Right now it looks like a gas-flamethrower that emits gas at high velocity and ignites it, much like a lighter and a hairspray can. IRL most flamethrowers use a liquid substance that sticks to it's victims and burns, but that would also dictate that the flamethrower ignites surroundings, like the ground, walls, and ceiling.

I think the flamethrower would be much cooler as a "flaregun" or magnesium rod gun, that fires a burning magnesium rod like a projectile (mode 1) for long range heavy damage attacks. Or shrapnel/flak (mode 2) as an incendiary short range shotgun. Magnesium creates a lot of cool sparks and would DEFINATELY set fire to most things :)

The spores aren't really gas though, but tiny "organic" seeds. If I understand the authors. So they could potentially "burn" and turn into ash/cinder and be rendered less harmful. But in order for it to have any use, I almost suggest the lerk spore range, duration and area be upped so the flamethrowers don't render the lerk completely useless :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well given that the spores would be set on fire for a couple of seconds I can imagine that these would harm both Marines and Aliens.
    Sure you'd clear out the gas but you'd also have to face the risk of covering your team in flames.
    I could see skulks and fades being hestitant of running through gas if someone had a flamethrower as well. Would be an interesting gameplay dynamic.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    Lerk gas needs a dmg boost, also wouldn't hurt if it extended out a bit further.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I like the idea of it spreading out more, but keeping the same damage.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    that's a nice idea.

but the part where you can burn your own team mates should be removed (griefing)
    Otherwise I would for sure shoot on every spore cloud I see, especially if marines standing in it :)

an easy solution for this is just make the spore cloud deal more damage (to the marine who set it on fire) and change the color of the cloud cinematic (to indicate burning)

but one question remains:
    FT should counter spores, or spores FT?
    I would say spores counter FT. Spores should stop the flame, so you could not should "through" spores
  • IactoIacto Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75209Members
    I think umbra should 'counter' FT, not spores. A defensive ability countering an offensive one is better.